Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Will Marriott Reopen Lifetime Titanium Status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Marriott Reopen Lifetime Titanium Status?

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2021, 4:00 pm

Love all those with LTT telling us how we don't need it.

Just like with airfare I learned a long time ago not to rely on the status for anything but breakfast. The individual hotel can tell you to pound sand and you won't see jack in the way of an upgrade. They have the final say so, not Marriott corporate.

I just buy suites when I want them. Much easier and less aggravating when I travel with my family. If its too expensive I just get two adjoining rooms. It is funny how much more the hotels like us when we spend money.
Old May 13, 2021, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter

Just like with airfare I learned a long time ago not to rely on the status for anything but breakfast. The individual hotel can tell you to pound sand and you won't see jack in the way of an upgrade. They have the final say so, not Marriott corporate.

I just buy suites when I want them. Much easier and less aggravating when I travel with my family. If its too expensive I just get two adjoining rooms. It is funny how much more the hotels like us when we spend money.
Haha.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 14, 2021, 8:24 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I”m not sure they will open the LTT status, but if they feel they need to, they will.

I’m not sure with all the changes happening to the system of travel that loyalty is going to look the same way it does right now. These programs are meant to really value road warriors who are constantly traveling to different cities each week, etc. Not to incentivize the people who figure out ways to maximize benefits constantly.

The problem with LTT is it’s a huge guarantee of benefits to people who might not actually add to the bottom line that much in the moment. I’m honestly surprised they still offer Lifetime Platinum.
Old May 14, 2021, 2:18 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Those are some good thoughts, @myperks. Marriott is probably frittering away a once-in-a-generation opportunity here to revamp these levels. 2021 could be there to maintain everyone's status and offer bonuses as needed to get the numbers at each level where they want them to be. But starting in 2022 they could have a fully-tweaked program in place that balances perks for loyalty, points earning and redemption, and encouraging stays and spending. I know I'm not the only one who thinks the current program is overly complicated with too many restrictions and exemptions.

They could do whatever they want in terms of changing the names of the levels, the qualification criteria, the benefits, etc. right now while travel is so topsy-turvy. Personally, I'd like it if they changed ambassador back to an invite-only level without stated criteria (like platinum premier used to be) but provide actual, tangible benefits over and above whatever the published top tier is. I also think they need to make it harder to achieve levels that grant complimentary executive/concierge lounge access--Hilton has a good approach here where diamonds always get lounge access but golds only get it if they get upgraded to a club floor (but otherwise get complimentary breakfast in the restaurant).

I'd also like to see Marriott re-establish their control over all their franchisees. Don't comply with the T&C of the Bonvoy program? It's just like not meeting other brand standards--there are actual, tangible consequences that quickly lead to being deflagged. This would help with delivering on Bonvoy promises to various levels.

Finally, I'd like to see Marriott actually help all these hotel owners with training programs to reinvigorate the culture Marriott used to have, summarized in the book "Spirit to Serve". Marriott used to actually care about their guests as, well... as guests. It started with how they took care of their associates, who almost felt like part of the Marriott family. Nowadays everything has become very sterile and corporate--when a guest has a problem they are automatically offered Bonvoy points as compensation, whereas an empowered person used to actually listen to complaints, offer a sincere apology (and appropriate compensation if warranted), and then work to correct whatever deficiency was identified.

These are fundamental cultural issues that could be addressed and fixed over a short period of time, if the company shared my passion that they are the basic differentiators between Marriott and any other hospitality company.
I think a lot of the loss of the Marriott culture came about with the Starwood acquisition - and I’m not bashing Starwood here. You had an incredibly large organization come in with a very different perception of service that wasn’t driven by a single “origin story” the way Marriott’s was. There were naturally changes, accommodations, adoptions of different ways, and ultimately dilution. For example, close your eyes and picture walking into a W and seeing a picture of Bill or Willard Marriott somewhere? See what I mean? The culture doesn’t exist.
FT, DJ_Iceman, oxfordjames and 1 others like this.
Old May 14, 2021, 2:27 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jimrpa
I think a lot of the loss of the Marriott culture came about with the Starwood acquisition - and I’m not bashing Starwood here. You had an incredibly large organization come in with a very different perception of service that wasn’t driven by a single “origin story” the way Marriott’s was. There were naturally changes, accommodations, adoptions of different ways, and ultimately dilution. For example, close your eyes and picture walking into a W and seeing a picture of Bill or Willard Marriott somewhere? See what I mean? The culture doesn’t exist.
Close your eyes and picture walking into a Moxy and seeing a picture of Bill or Willard Marriott somewhere? See what I mean? The culture doesn’t exist. :P

Spiff, uanj and UA-NYC like this.
Old May 14, 2021, 2:31 pm

Deleted
Old May 14, 2021, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by WasKnown
Close your eyes and picture walking into a Moxy and seeing a picture of Bill or Willard Marriott somewhere? See what I mean? The culture doesn’t exist. :P

that’s true. And that never existed until after the larger Marriott was formed and the culture was changed.
That example makes my point
Old May 14, 2021, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cfabar1
I”m not sure they will open the LTT status, but if they feel they need to, they will.
I think of any reason Marriott would ever open up LTT status again, why would they - what would be the point? What is in it for Marriott?
Old May 14, 2021, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
The only LTT benefits over LTP are (1) 75% vs. 50% bonus points, (2) complimentary United® MileagePlus® Premier® Silver Status, and (3) 48 hr room guarantee. My last LTT upgrade was from no view room to a resort view room and I was granted 1 pm late checkout from Westin Hilton Head.
Old May 14, 2021, 4:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Alex_I
complimentary United® MileagePlus® Premier® Silver Status
For me, this benefit is HUGE. I'm not a United regular, but have a handful of flights a year where they're the best option. I don't make Silver the hard way. The benefit is either worth a lot of money (vs. flying UA without status) or a lot of time (if I avoided them by taking connecting flights on AA or WN).

UA Silver grants one the ability to buy Basic Economy and not have a horrible experience, so if you're traveling with family this could add up to $1,000 in a single domestic round-trip (in fare differences, seat assignments, and bags).

The hotel benefits of Titanium aren't much, but this United benefit doesn't get enough credit.
SPN Lifer, lsquare and Mr. BoH like this.
Old May 14, 2021, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
For me, this benefit is HUGE. I'm not a United regular, but have a handful of flights a year where they're the best option. I don't make Silver the hard way. The benefit is either worth a lot of money (vs. flying UA without status) or a lot of time (if I avoided them by taking connecting flights on AA or WN).

UA Silver grants one the ability to buy Basic Economy and not have a horrible experience, so if you're traveling with family this could add up to $1,000 in a single domestic round-trip (in fare differences, seat assignments, and bags).

The hotel benefits of Titanium aren't much, but this United benefit doesn't get enough credit.
even 1Ks don’t get seat selections on basic economy… wildcard
margarita girl likes this.
Old May 14, 2021, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by pinniped

- Yes, I got UA Silver luggage tag but so far I have never been on UA plane in my life (currently >3.5M with AA) and I am not planning on doing that in the near future. But I agree that having a lifetime status with UA without flying is cool.
Old May 14, 2021, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Alex_I
- Yes, I got UA Silver luggage tag but so far I have never been on UA plane in my life (currently >3.5M with AA) and I am not planning on doing that in the near future. But I agree that having a lifetime status with UA without flying is cool.
Can I point out that the LT status is with Marriott and not UA? That UA Silver benefit could be pulled at any time. Just sayin’.
hedoman, SPN Lifer, UA-NYC and 1 others like this.
Old May 14, 2021, 10:31 pm
FT

That's exactly right. The changes between Plat and Titanium today will look different in 3 years let alone for a lifetime.
Old May 14, 2021, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Can I point out that the LT status is with Marriott and not UA? That UA Silver benefit could be pulled at any time. Just sayin’.
- Correct, only LTT with Marriott Bonvoy. UA Silver benefit could be pulled at any time and so any other benefits of LTT. In fact, some of the most valuable (at least for me) benefits of Bonvoy PLT and Titanium status like room upgrades and late checkouts are still on the books but are now more difficult to take the advantage of.
margarita girl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.