Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Will Marriott Reopen Lifetime Titanium Status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Marriott Reopen Lifetime Titanium Status?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2021, 10:53 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Originally Posted by pinniped
For me, this benefit is HUGE. I'm not a United regular, but have a handful of flights a year where they're the best option. I don't make Silver the hard way. The benefit is either worth a lot of money (vs. flying UA without status) or a lot of time (if I avoided them by taking connecting flights on AA or WN).

UA Silver grants one the ability to buy Basic Economy and not have a horrible experience, so if you're traveling with family this could add up to $1,000 in a single domestic round-trip (in fare differences, seat assignments, and bags).

The hotel benefits of Titanium aren't much, but this United benefit doesn't get enough credit.
I feel the same way about United Silver. Although given Marriott's lack of brand standards in the last few years I am debating trying to get airline status via flying and move my stays to Hilton. The few trips I take a year if I upgraded one or two of the longer ones to F I probably would qualify for silver. Given the closing gap between economy and first it isn't so hard to do.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 14, 2021, 11:32 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by jimrpa
I think a lot of the loss of the Marriott culture came about with the Starwood acquisition - and I’m not bashing Starwood here. You had an incredibly large organization come in with a very different perception of service that wasn’t driven by a single “origin story” the way Marriott’s was. There were naturally changes, accommodations, adoptions of different ways, and ultimately dilution. For example, close your eyes and picture walking into a W and seeing a picture of Bill or Willard Marriott somewhere? See what I mean? The culture doesn’t exist.
Respectfully I am not following your point. Marriott was much larger than Starwood which is why they could buy Starwood. Marriott management interviewed senior executives at Starwood for roles in the newly merged company and most were made redundant. Survival rate of Marriott executives was much higher. I do not see how "Starwood Culture", good or bad, could have had much influence on the larger merged company.
margarita girl and WasKnown like this.
Old May 15, 2021, 12:23 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jimrpa
that’s true. And that never existed until after the larger Marriott was formed and the culture was changed.
That example makes my point
What??? Lol the first Moxy launched in 2014. It was not as strangely suggestive as the one posted but still way crazier than most W hotels.

Marriott’s acquisition of Starwood didn’t close until September 2016… Even if Starwood corporate culture somehow magically supplanted the culture of the company that acquired it on day 1, Moxy would still be a result of the “old” Marriott
uanj likes this.
Old May 15, 2021, 12:26 am

Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Can I point out that the LT status is with Marriott and not UA? That UA Silver benefit could be pulled at any time. Just sayin’.
Yup, it goes both ways. Lifetime United GS awards Marriott Platinum but that could change at any time.

Lifetime 1K used to award Marriott Rewards Gold (Bonvoy Platinum) and we all know how that ended…
SPN Lifer and margarita girl like this.
Old May 15, 2021, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by WasKnown
Yup, it goes both ways. Lifetime United GS awards Marriott Platinum but that could change at any time.

Lifetime 1K used to award Marriott Rewards Gold (Bonvoy Platinum) and we all know how that ended…
For real? I don't see anything on UA or Marriott's website about this.
Old May 15, 2021, 3:19 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by Alex_I
The only LTT benefits over LTP are (1) 75% vs. 50% bonus points, (2) complimentary United® MileagePlus® Premier® Silver Status, and (3) 48 hr room guarantee. My last LTT upgrade was from no view room to a resort view room and I was granted 1 pm late checkout from Westin Hilton Head.
The 48-hour room guarantee was actually useful [!] this week...it let me push into a hotel that was about 30 minutes closer to where I needed to be today (and where I was going to be staying for the next week anyway, so it saved me a hotel swap). It turns out that the "main" issue was a softball tournament in town (which explained the odd mid-week sellout), but it's the first time I've really "needed" the benefit.

(I ended up paying $160 for a $110 hotel room for it...but this is one of the few times I'll say that convenience won out over cost since this was the day I needed to be somewhere and also had to juggle a phone conference in the morning as well.)
Old May 15, 2021, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
For real? I don't see anything on UA or Marriott's website about this.
Yes. It is probably because Global Services is not a published status level (though it might as well be at this point). This is how my father has 9 years of Marriott platinum but not even enough EQNs for lifetime silver.

https://www.travelcodex.com/united-g...iott-platinum/ Global Services used to award MR platinum (75 nights, Bonvoy Titanium) and 1K/MP Plat/MP Gold would award MR Gold (50 nights, Bonvoy Gold). When MR, SPG, and RCR merged, they kept the awarded status names the same. Because Bonvoy pushed down the perks for these respective status names down to match SPG, the Bonvoy status United members got effectively became worse.

This is just an example of how these perks from lifetime status are fragile as people with lifetime GS lost a perk that traditionally came with their status.

I would expect the United Silver Titanium benefit to change eventually. Right now, Bonvoy members benefit much more from this partnership than MileagePlus members do. MileagePlus Silver (awarded to Bonvoy members) is much harder to get than Bonvoy Gold (awarded to MP members) and has more clearly demonstrable value as well.
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old May 15, 2021, 3:45 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
They should.
Spiff likes this.
Old May 15, 2021, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes. It is probably because Global Services is not a published status level (though it might as well be at this point). This is how my father has 9 years of Marriott platinum but not even enough EQNs for lifetime silver.

https://www.travelcodex.com/united-g...iott-platinum/ Global Services used to award MR platinum (75 nights, Bonvoy Titanium) and 1K/MP Plat/MP Gold would award MR Gold (50 nights, Bonvoy Gold). When MR, SPG, and RCR merged, they kept the awarded status names the same. Because Bonvoy pushed down the perks for these respective status names down to match SPG, the Bonvoy status United members got effectively became worse.

This is just an example of how these perks from lifetime status are fragile as people with lifetime GS lost a perk that traditionally came with their status.

I would expect the United Silver Titanium benefit to change eventually. Right now, Bonvoy members benefit much more from this partnership than MileagePlus members do. MileagePlus Silver (awarded to Bonvoy members) is much harder to get than Bonvoy Gold (awarded to MP members) and has more clearly demonstrable value as well.
I'm already well on my way to achieving lifetime Platinum status in terms of EQNs. I'm currently at 302 EQNs, but only 2 years of Platinum. I guess the perk won't be as valuable to me. Getting to 4 million miles with UA will be much more difficult.
Old May 15, 2021, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm already well on my way to achieving lifetime Platinum status in terms of EQNs. I'm currently at 302 EQNs, but only 2 years of Platinum. I guess the perk won't be as valuable to me. Getting to 4 million miles with UA will be much more difficult.
Nice! After this year I should be at 285ish EQNs (more than 210 from this year alone lol) with 3 years Platinum. My father is satisfied with his status match platinum from United and just earned lifetime WoH Globalist in 2019. I think lifetime status for him is much more likely to truly be lifetime. Given that I’m in my early 20s, I’m not really counting on anything “lifetime”.

Also United status is def way harder than Marriott status. Imo 1K should award Marriott Platinum.
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old May 15, 2021, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nice! After this year I should be at 285ish EQNs (more than 210 from this year alone lol) with 3 years Platinum. My father is satisfied with his status match platinum from United and just earned lifetime WoH Globalist in 2019. I think lifetime status for him is much more likely to truly be lifetime. Given that I’m in my early 20s, I’m not really counting on anything “lifetime”.

Also United status is def way harder than Marriott status. Imo 1K should award Marriott Platinum.
I do agree with you that UA should offer 1K members Marriott Platinum. My goal is to hit lifetime status with Marriott, Hyatt, and Hilton. Will I get there? I don't know, but I'll try! To get back on topic, I'm praying and crossing my fingers that Marriott will bring back lifetime Titanium sometime this decade. Totally not fair that some people have it and I'll never get the chance even if I spend money on Marriott!
SPN Lifer and WasKnown like this.
Old May 15, 2021, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
While I agree that reopening qualification for lifetime Marriott Bonv°y Titanium Elite status would be attractive to guests, even with a threshold of ten years Titanium and 1,000 Elite Qualifying Nights or higher, I am becoming increasingly pessimistic that this will ever happen.

So I am transferring all possible credit card spend and joint stays to my wife's accounts, so she can reach lifetime Platinum Elite as well.
lsquare and WasKnown like this.
Old May 15, 2021, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
While I agree that reopening qualification for lifetime Marriott Bonv°y Titanium Elite status would be attractive to guests, even with a threshold of ten years Titanium and 1,000 Elite Qualifying Nights or higher, I am becoming increasingly pessimistic that this will ever happen.

So I am transferring all possible credit card spend and joint stays to my wife's accounts, so she can reach lifetime Platinum Elite as well.
How many EQNs do you have?
Old May 15, 2021, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Alex_I
The only LTT benefits over LTP are (1) 75% vs. 50% bonus points, (2) complimentary United® MileagePlus® Premier® Silver Status, and (3) 48 hr room guarantee. My last LTT upgrade was from no view room to a resort view room and I was granted 1 pm late checkout from Westin Hilton Head.

It is amusing how LTT feel it necessary to tell us we don't need it because "we wouldn't need what we would get' or "it won't get you anything anyway".

Maybe let us decide if we find the benefits attractive?
Spiff, SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old May 15, 2021, 11:25 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by uanj
Respectfully I am not following your point. Marriott was much larger than Starwood which is why they could buy Starwood. Marriott management interviewed senior executives at Starwood for roles in the newly merged company and most were made redundant. Survival rate of Marriott executives was much higher. I do not see how "Starwood Culture", good or bad, could have had much influence on the larger merged company.
In a shock development, Marriott executives hire and/or retain staff that carry their culture!

There's a reason why people lament the demise of the traditional Starwood guest experience.

Hell, people on here long for the days when Bill had control of the experience.

So respectfully; the past few years have been bad for legacy Marriott and Starwood loyalist alike.

Final point; what value does LT Titanium really have as we see continual gutting of program benefits?
cfabar1 and Dublin_rfk like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.