Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Will Marriott Reopen Lifetime Titanium Status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Marriott Reopen Lifetime Titanium Status?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2022, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by sdsearch
The main benefit unique to Titanium AFAIK, at least for those based in the USA, is the ability to get United Airlines Silver Premier status for free.

I'm not aware of any significant difference in benefits at hotels for Titanium relative to Platinum.

Yeah but this is a rather big one though.
SPN Lifer and gudugan like this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 3:25 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by sdsearch
The main benefit unique to Titanium AFAIK, at least for those based in the USA, is the ability to get United Airlines Silver Premier status for free.

I'm not aware of any significant difference in benefits at hotels for Titanium relative to Platinum.
75% bonus points vs. 50% can add up over a year to a free night quite easily.
SPN Lifer and KRSW like this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by swag
What would be the benefit to Marriott of instead inventing a whole new metal level, especially if that can't be achieved on an annual basis?
Maybe, to avoid that those members that have guaranteed benefits - no matter what their current yearly nights record is - and that have higher revenue potential, to explore properties of other chains of hotel.

Presently staying at a Hilton, where I was upgraded to a suite.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by djkyyc
75% bonus points vs. 50% can add up over a year to a free night quite easily.
But if one is not staying enough to make Platinum/Titanium otherwise, it is a small number of points.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 8:46 am

Let me boil this down to brutal truth:

Current lifetime titanium holders do not want the competition from prospective lifetime titanium members that have easily earned it.
SPN Lifer, SCEflyer, KRSW and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter

Current lifetime titanium holders do not want the competition from prospective lifetime titanium members that have easily earned it.
Nope. Couldn't care less.

There is little to compete for.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Nope. Couldn't care less.

There is little to compete for.
Sadly, I must concur. As a Canadian who already has status with Air Canada, the UA benefit does not help. Also, I rarely get upgraded (though admittedly, I seldom ask and typically don’t care). I do appreciate the 75% point bonus (vs. 50%) and there is no competition for that so if it were up to me, I’d welcome you to the LTT club 😁
SPN Lifer and margarita girl like this.

Last edited by spgvun; Jun 20, 2022 at 9:46 pm
Old Jun 20, 2022, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *

Before my (unrelated) post was forwarded to this thread, I was not aware that this status had been closed. Frankly, I did not hear from any hotel how valuable it was. It was certainly not, at a hotel in Europe where I recently stayed at.
Prior to the pandemic (and the higher requirement), I had been at the Ambassador level since the status had started to be published and, during that period, some hotels did not really do much more than the acknowledgment of the status.
In my experience, the best perks are given by properties where you are a frequent guest.
Always Flyin and MSPeconomist like this.

Last edited by UASPG; Jun 20, 2022 at 8:47 pm
Old Jun 21, 2022, 7:40 am

In May ‘22 we stayed at the Westin Grand in Munich, on points for five nights. Our experience once again proved that Titanium status is valuable. I applied a SNA to the reservation after booking the stay, and the upgrade to a junior suite was confirmed a day or two prior to arrival. This accommodation was a true suite by any definition; there were two decent sized rooms, living and bedroom, with a doorway separating the two.

The CL offered a broad selection of complimentary wines and beer each evening, along with a selection of Asian and local hot dishes. The attendants were great. Since we prefer having breakfast in the dining room, and we had the choice of complimentary breakfasts in the dining room, over the offerings in the lounge, we opted for the dining, so can’t comment on the morning offerings in the CL.

At check-in, we were offered a choice of the complimentary breakfasts or a gift of 750 Bonvoy points. I am not certain that this would be one time shot, or whether we would get the points for each day of our stay, but in any event I would and will, in terms of the future, opt for the breakfast(s), unless I was on a one night stay and needed to check out before the dining room opened.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by SCEflyer
In May ‘22 we stayed at the Westin Grand in Munich, on points for five nights. Our experience once again proved that Titanium status is valuable. I applied a SNA to the reservation after booking the stay, and the upgrade to a junior suite was confirmed a day or two prior to arrival. This accommodation was a true suite by any definition; there were two decent sized rooms, living and bedroom, with a doorway separating the two.

The CL offered a broad selection of complimentary wines and beer each evening, along with a selection of Asian and local hot dishes. The attendants were great. Since we prefer having breakfast in the dining room, and we had the choice of complimentary breakfasts in the dining room, over the offerings in the lounge, we opted for the dining, so can’t comment on the morning offerings in the CL.

At check-in, we were offered a choice of the complimentary breakfasts or a gift of 750 Bonvoy points. I am not certain that this would be one time shot, or whether we would get the points for each day of our stay, but in any event I would and will, in terms of the future, opt for the breakfast(s), unless I was on a one night stay and needed to check out before the dining room opened.
How do you know you would not have received the exact same treatment as a Platinum?
Old Jun 21, 2022, 8:00 am

Programs: Delta-DM, United-Platinum, American-Platinum, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
How do you know you would not have received the exact same treatment as a Platinum?
Exactly. I'd argue to say this would be the exact treatment I'd get as a LT platinum. That said, I'd love LT Titanium. I missed out by a hundred nights when it closed. My biggest reasoning for wanting LT titanium is the likely downgrade of benefits to platinum at some point in the future.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 8:55 am

Maybe, maybe not. However, FD associates along with their managers, always seem to be happy to go the extra mile, for a Titanium member, especially those like me who have LT status. This is especially true at full service properties.

YMMV
Old Jun 21, 2022, 10:06 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I think they should re-open LTT (speaking as a LTT and lifetime UA*G (1MM)), if for no other reason that it would engender goodwill -- or, more precisely, it engenders bad will in cutting a benefit. The cost would probably be minimal and surely it would incent some travelers to stay more to reach it. It's not a good look to have a status and lock people out of it.

I wondered why they did it, but this is a very good explanation, as well as a good rationale for restoring it:

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
To be clear, they did not truly "create" a lifetime tier and then close it. MR had a lifetime 75 night tier for years before the merger. They simply changed that level's name to align with the new elite status level names and benefits.

MR LTPs (75 night benefits) would have been justifiably furious if they were suddenly relegated to a lifetime 50 night level of benefits. That's the only reason LTT exists today. And BTW, I agree that the least bad answer would have been to continue to allow people to earn LTT going forward.
SPN Lifer and drod like this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by SCEflyer

All 3 of the items you’ve listed are available to Plats.

- we’ve been told by William that SNAs clear based on when you request them so status has no impact.
- CL are equally available to Tits and Plats and everyone gets the same food.
- the breakfast benefits and welcome gifts are identical for both tiers.

The only real difference is Tits get 17% more points than Plats and if you aren’t staying enough to earn Tit status, it shouldn’t have a huge impact on your points earnings.

The other one is UA Silver status.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by margarita girl
All 3 of the items you’ve listed are available to Plats.

- we’ve been told by William that SNAs clear based on when you request them so status has no impact.
- CL are equally available to Tits and Plats and everyone gets the same food.
- the breakfast benefits and welcome gifts are identical for both tiers.

The only real difference is Tits get 17% more points than Plats and if you aren’t staying enough to earn Tit status, it shouldn’t have a huge impact on your points earnings.

The other one is UA Silver status.
Another Titanium benefit that isn't available to Platinum members is upgrades to suites at Ritz-Carlton hotels (albeit not to suites that include Club access). That benefit has been quite valuable to me.
MSPeconomist and reggiekush like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.