Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Méridien Maldives Resort & Spa, Thilamaafushi, Maldives [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 7, 2021, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jason8612
Hotel email:
[email protected]

Resort Shared Seaplane Transfer:
Prices are inclusive of tax and fees and to be paid upon check-out.
420 USD per adult (12 years and above)
210 USD per child (ages between 2 and 11.99 years)
Baggage
Complimentary for infants (below 2 years)
Standard baggage is 30 25kg including hand luggage. Excess weight will be charged at 5.60 USD per kg (per round trip).
Max dimensions are 158 cm and 32 kg. Infants do not have baggage allowance.
Hours
Operate between 06:00 to 16:00.
For check-in, last international flight must arrive at or before 15:30.
For check-out, first international flight must depart at or after 09:00.
Complete Details can be found here.

COVID Related Topics
Testing
Testing available at 120++ USD pp and reservations should be made no later than 72 hours prior to departure.
Quarantine/Isolation Policy
What happens if I test positive for COVID? Current policy can be found here.
Contact Tracing
Where can I find the list of properties under contract tracing? Here.
What happens if a resort is listed under contract tracing?
Guests must travel directly between MLE airport and the property post arrival and pre departure via international flight ONLY.
Inter-island transfers will be ceased and guests will not be able to arrive from, depart to, another island in the Maldives.

Water Sports & Diving Menu

Spa, Beauty, & Fitness Menu

F&B Menu

Latitude Menu
Riviera Menu
Tabemasu Menu
Turquoise Menu
Velaa Lunch Menu
Velaa Dinner Menu
Waves Menu
Wine Master List
Mini Bar Menu

Meal Plans
Prices are inclusive of tax and fees
Bed and Breakfast per night

30 USD per adult (12 years and above)
15 USD per child (ages between 3 and 11.99 years)
Half Board per night
95 USD per adult (12 years and above)
47.50 USD per child (ages between 3 and 11.99 years)
Complimentary for infants (below 3 years)
Full Board Plus per night
155 USD per adult (12 years and above)
77.50 USD per child (ages between 3 and 11.99 years)
All-Inclusive per night
230 USD per adult (12 years and above)
115 USD per child (ages 3 and 11.99 years)
Details can be found here.

F&B Bonvoy Discounts
General Members & Silver Elite 10%
Gold Elite 15%
Platinum, Titanium, & Ambassador Elite 20%
Full Details can be found here.

Resort Map
Can be found here.
Room total can be found here.
Beach Bungalow and Beach Villa are categorized by location. See the resort map for more information.

Paid/confirmed upgrades
Rates per night as of 08-May-2021
From Sunrise OWV to Sunset OWV 50++ USD
From Sunrise OWV to Sunset OWV w/ pool 250++ USD
Terms
Must be for entire duration of reservation
Requires non-refundable payment at time of confirming
Availability and rates subject to change
Can you apply SNAs at this property? No.

Late Checkout Policy (subject to availability)
General Members: None
Silver Elite: "Priority"
Gold Elite: 2pm
Platinum & Titanium Elite: 4pm
Ambassador Elite: 4pm or "Your24"

Welcome Gift
General Members & Silver Elite: None
Gold Elite: 500 points per stay
Platinum, Titanium, and Ambassador Elite: Welcome Gift: 1000 points per stay OR amenity per stay OR breakfast at Turquoise Restaurant per day for 2 persons (member + 1)

Drone Restrictions
"We strictly prohibit the operation of any type of UAV or drones for any purpose within and above the premises of the resort as our guests' privacy is of our utmost concern. This prohibition extends to devices launched from the resort or from outside the boundaries of the resort. If you wish to take photographs or videos, you may do so at the common areas of our resort."
Print Wikipost

Le Méridien Maldives Resort & Spa, Thilamaafushi, Maldives [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2022, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by timjohn12
Does the hotel give free snorkel rentals? Are they new or 'used' rentals?
Yes free used.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 7:11 am

Just came back from a 5-night stay for my partner's birthday and we benefitted immensely from all the shared knowledge in this Flyertalk thread. Wanted to thank everyone for providing resources and recommendations for meal plans, packing lists and even day-to-day activities.

Happy to answer any questions based on my experience:

Meal Plans

Since I am a Titanium Elite, we went for the Half Board for the first 2 nights, and then All Inclusive for the last 3. We actually found the All Inclusive to be of better value as compared to the Full Board Plus, since the All Inclusive is the only meal plan to get access to Tabemasu for dinner (the food was superb) and you can get any drinks from any restaurant at any time. It was extremely convenient to not have to worry about food and drinks during the last 4 days, and we could pop by any of the restaurants for a drink to chill when we wanted (the sunsets are amazing and it's the perfect time for a beer). We did not end up finishing the alcohol in my room, but we brought them home (yes, you can do that!) since we had additional luggage space.

One thing to note is that the food options in the restaurants do not change during the stipulated meal times (unless you are having buffet at Turquoise), so if you are on the Full Board Plus or Half Board, you may be eating dinner at Velaa for multiple nights. While we found the food at Velaa to be amazing, we had wanted a bit more variety.

Another thing is that lunch options are available at Waves and Riveria as part of the All Inclusive meal plan. For lunch, you get to pick any 3 food items and any drink on the menu. There are some drinks in Waves that are not included the All Inclusive, but most of the time the staff will just give it to you anyway. Waves serves mostly brunch food, sandwiches and keto bowls, while Riveria serves small plates (similar to tapas).

Activities

We actually never ran out of activities to do - we snorkeled around the house reef, rented the stand-up paddle-boards and kayaks for free and attended at least one free activity a day (there are yoga/HIIT classes, a greenhouse tour and outdoor movie nights). We ended up paying for the Sunset Dolphin Cruise ($80 per pax for 2 hours) and a Guided Snorkeling Tour ($70 per pax for 1.5 hours). I highly recommend both - for the dolphin cruise, you basically sit in an open deck boat to a location ~30-minutes from the resort to see dolphins (and there are many!). Drinks are actually included and we got to drink voluminous servings of Cava (beer and non-alcoholic drinks were also available). Snorkeling is done outside the house reef with a very experienced guide and honestly the marine life in Maldives is just something we have to see.

We wished we had spent more time swimming, but we did not since the salt water can be really punishing for your skin, so the pools were a great alternative. However, both the pools in Riveria and Velaa are really tiny, so be prepared for a crowd during peak months.

Service

The staff was highly attentive and very professional. When we arrived, we were assigned a staff whom we could contact with any questions or concerns. She was also the person who gave us information about our departure timings and made arrangements for our celebratory dinner during one of the nights. That being said, I did not want to bother her with my day-to-day requests, so I ended up using the Whatsapp concierge (+960 930 0123) to arrange buggy rides from our villa to the restaurants, make table reservations and ask questions relating to my meal plans. The concierge was highly responsive (way faster than using the Bonvoy app).

Staff at the restaurants recognized us by the 2nd day and we got to know some of them as well. There is a group of them who came over from the Ritz Carlton Bali and they certainly bring with them their experience and service standards. We also got to know the resident barista and HIIT/yoga instructor, whom we met with almost everyday during our meals and activities. The staff did tend to chat us up quite a bit (not sure if that's the way they treat all customers or they were looking out for elites), and we certainly felt very welcomed and looked after.

Post-Check out

Even though our flight departing Male was scheduled for 11.40pm (it was the last flight out of the airport), the resort had arranged for us to take the 3pm seaplane (apparently the last scheduled seaplane), which meant that our check out was around 2pm. This also gave us a 8-hour wait in the airport. LM staff was waiting for us at both the seaplane terminal and airport, and gave us ideas on how we can spend the time - it was either a guided tour of Male city (you can tip the guide, but there will not be a fee) or we could wait in the land-side Priority Pass lounge until check-in opened.

We popped by the PP lounge but it was way too small and crowded to be comfortable, so we paid $2 each for a ferry ticket and did our own tour of Male city. The city is very small (a walk from one end to another took slightly over an hour), and there was not much to see, but we found an local craft shop selling leather goods and accessories at very reasonable prices - my partner bought leather pouch for less than $10, while I got myself a bracelet for around $15. If you have a lot of time to kill, I will recommend visiting Male for souvenirs instead of buying them from the gift shops at the airport. We found the gift shops at the airport to be a major scam (a cheap-looking magnet would have cost us $10!!!).

Overall a very magical experience. Many thanks to the FT folks who highlighted this great redemption opportunity when it first opened!

Last edited by scopelenz; Nov 8, 2022 at 7:24 am
Old Nov 8, 2022, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by trvlnjack
My wife and I just spent five nights here and all I can say is WOW. We were thoroughly impressed with the resort, service, food - everything!

This was our first time visiting the Maldives so I don't have any other properties to compare it to but we've stayed at other mid to high level properties around the world and thought this topped them all. The service is what really makes Le Meridien Maldives shine, in my opinion. You'll likely meet the GM (Nilesh Singh) early on in your stay, as it seemed like he made a point to introduce himself to everyone, and will likely see other managers and directors throughout your time on the island. They have a very top-down service culture and it shows.

Again, we don't have any other properties in the Maldives to compare to, but I was impressed with the hard product (rooms, restaurants, food quality) in addition to the service. I guess if you go into your stay expecting the level of luxury you'd get at a Ritz or St. Regis, you'll likely be disappointed, but you're also not paying for that level of luxury either. The resort is only a year old and I think they're doing a great job keeping it looking new. We found the aesthetics of the room and other buildings on the island to have a relaxed, modern vibe. We stayed in a sunrise overwater villa and as others have mentioned, feel that this is actually better than a sunset villa.

They held a complimentary cocktail hour for Bonvoy members one of the nights (I believe this is something they do weekly) and got a chance to get some inside info from Nilesh and other managers. It sounds like the other jetty is awaiting certification from the Maldivian Tourism Ministry and is ready to open any day. They had it certified but ended up going back and adding additional plunge pools to the overwater villas and this is causing them to need a recertification. It was noted that the additional plunge pools is based directly on customer feedback and will allow for a greater chance of upgrades, etc. They're also working on a new restaurant right next door to Riviera (attached to the Waves Lifestyle Hub) that will serve Spanish style tapas. It looked like the construction on this was still a ways off but I have no idea how quickly they can get things done.

I don't know how true this is, but we were told that Americans rank 5th in terms of tourists visiting the Maldives but they are the top nationality at Le Meridien. We're from the US and were surprised by the number of fellow Americans we ran into - so I guess that would make sense. They chalked this up to the power of being associated with the Marriott Bonvoy program, it seemed like something they were very proud of.

I don't consider myself a "foodie" but I do like and appreciate good food and thought that overall, the food quality here was very good. I ordered a steak at both Turquoise and Velaa Bar and thought they were as good as any I've ever had. The chef came out to introduce himself at Velaa and said that he subbed the Australian Tenderloin that I had ordered for Wagyu. There are varying grades of Wagyu, so I don't know how good this steak actually was but the flavor was phenomenal and it was perfectly cooked. We did the half-board meal plan which got us a three-course meal every night in addition to the vast breakfast buffet, which was complimentary due to elite status. Since we were on a half-board, we didn't really see pricing for a la carte options but found the meal plan to be a really good value ($65++ w/ Platinum Elite and above) for the amount of food you get. The ++ is important to note, as it's an additional charge of 23% on all the listed prices - 10% Service Charge and 13% Tax. In addition to the 10% service charge, there was always a line for additional gratuity on the bill so I felt compelled to leave an additional tip each night. It's likely that opinions will vary on this but it seemed as if tipping was expected/appreciated.

From our villa we saw reef sharks, stingrays, eagle rays, lots of needle fish and other tropical fish that I don't know the names of. While snorkeling the house reef we saw countless tropical fish, additional reef sharks, sting rays and a sea turtle. The turtle proved to be the most elusive and also the coolest for us to see. While we were there the weather was perfect for 3 days and just ok for the other 2. We didn't have any days that were bad, weather wise, so that was a big plus.

If anyone has any specific questions, I'll try to pop back into this discussion thread to answer them while it's still fresh in my memory, but overall I left very impressed with our stay at the resort and already wanting to plan a return visit!
How safe is the water for swimming then?
Old Nov 8, 2022, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Yes they will. I had no issues.
They do? I got this from them this morning when I asked about paying with GCs

"Further to your email we are pleased to inform you that you can use Marriott gift card at our for resort service, Hence, please be advise that the gift card is not applicable to the services which managed by third party company such as seaplane transfer, water sport activates. etc."

Last edited by rakeshs_ca; Nov 8, 2022 at 1:03 pm
Old Nov 8, 2022, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by rakeshs_ca
They do? I got this from them this morning when I asked about paying with GCs

"Further to your email we are pleased to inform you that you can use Marriott gift card at our for resort service, Hence, please be advise that the gift card is not applicable to the services which managed by third party company such as seaplane transfer, water sport activates. etc."
I wonder if they're just confused, because it goes into 1 giant bill, and then you pay it off. Either way, i wouldn't follow up too much. My trip is in a week, so I will report back in 2 weeks, unless yours is before mine.
rakeshs_ca likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by bobu
I wonder if they're just confused, because it goes into 1 giant bill, and then you pay it off. Either way, i wouldn't follow up too much. My trip is in a week, so I will report back in 2 weeks, unless yours is before mine.
They simply apply it to the whole bill however the gift card cannot pay for 3rd party services as noted above. So if your total bill was 5000 but had seaplane and dive stuff in the 5000 bill the 5000 gift card would only go towards the actual resort services . You would need to pay the other charges with a credit card.
rakeshs_ca likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I paid for my entire bill, seaplane included, with a gift card. YMMV

(Maybe I’m special because they didn’t ask me to prepay the seaplane either! )
Old Nov 8, 2022, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by rakeshs_ca
How safe is the water for swimming then?
The water is very safe. None of the marine life there is in any way dangerous to people, it’s quite the opposite. Do not touch, step on or in any other way harass the fish and mammals, please .
Old Nov 8, 2022, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by westcoastscott
They simply apply it to the whole bill however the gift card cannot pay for 3rd party services as noted above. So if your total bill was 5000 but had seaplane and dive stuff in the 5000 bill the 5000 gift card would only go towards the actual resort services . You would need to pay the other charges with a credit card.
I can tell you i paid entire bill with GC last year, but again, may be different this year. Will report back either way.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 7:08 am

Programs: DL 2MM
Originally Posted by brownpaw
Here you go, fresh from the front desk this morning: gdrive link. I asked specifically for a link that they hosted but they said they only had the pdf to send so I just re-hosted it on gdrive.

I'm here now if anyone has any questions about anything.
Is the new jetty with the new rooms open yet? I will be there in 2 months and hoping its open soon (or now).

thanks!
Old Nov 9, 2022, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by BigKenny
Is the new jetty with the new rooms open yet? I will be there in 2 months and hoping its open soon (or now).

thanks!
Post # 1454.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 10:24 am

Just got home after six nights. I'll try to consolidate some thoughts without going overboard on typing paragraphs of the same things that others have already said. Hopefully there's some new nuggets of info for some people out there:

Room Upgrade Option -- I booked OW sunrise on points. A few days before check-in I saw on the app I was upgraded (Platinum) to OW sunset. I had previously inquired about a cash upgrade from OW sunrise to sunset w/ pool and was quoted $300++ via email. Upon check-in I was offered upgrade to OW sunset w/ pool for $150++/night and took it. The ++ is taxes, service fees/gratuity, I believe they said it amounts to somewhere around 22.5%. Highly recommend the pool if you can swing it.

South Pier -- been a lot of interest in the new south pier which is now open. It's a bit closer to Velaa, Turquoise, and the front desk ("The Hub") than the original north pier but it's pretty far from Tabemasu (Japanese), Riviera (adults only pool+bar), and Waves (coffee & kombucha) which are right by the north pier. You can request a cart/buggy at any time though. Overall I am not sure why anyone would heavily prefer one over the other (maybe I missed something), except north side OW sunrise technically faces the sea planes but I don't know how bad the sound actually is.

Room Minibar -- Don't recall if anyone's detailed the minibar. It had:
  • Liquor/spirits: (I took a picture but can't quite read some of the exact volumes)
    • 350 ml Gordon's Gin
    • ~350 ml Absolut Vodka
    • 375 ml Jack Daniel's
    • 375 ml Johnnie Walker Black
    • ~375 ml Bacardi white rum
  • Beer
    • 2 x Tiger bottles
    • 2 x Corona bottles
  • Wine
    • ~375 ml Babich Merlot Carbernet
    • ~375 ml Babich Sauv Blanc (iirc)
  • Non-Alc
    • 2 x orange juice, 2 x apple juice
    • 2 x regular Coke, 2 x Diet Coke ("Coke Light" locally), 2 x Sprite, 2 x Schweppes soda water, 2 x Schweppes Tonic
    • 2 x San Pellegrino sparkling, 1 x Pana Aqua still water
  • Food
    • 3 pack of Ferrero Roche
    • Toblerone bar
    • Small box of salted peanuts
    • Small box of pistachios
    • Bag of salt and pepper potato chips/crisps
  • Other
    • There's also a small bottle of champagne but it is not included in the all-inclusive plan
    • Not really mini-bar but normal coffee stock was 3 x illy espresso pods, 1 x illy decaf pod, and numerous nice looking teas (didn't try those though)
It was stated to me that on the all-inclusive plan, everything (minus champagne) is included and can be restocked every day except the spirits which are only replaced every 4 days. For what it's worth, in practice, for me the spirits got replaced whenever the bottle wasn't in there. For anyone worrying about hydration, there's also numerous bottles of other drinking water around the villa which got replaced whenever they were low.

Draft Beer -- Most bars have some combination of Peroni, Heineken, Corona bottles. If you dig draft beer, note that the only draft beer available is at Turquoise & Velaa, and it was Tiger, and imho colder and infinitely better than anything in a bottle.

All Inclusive Courses -- All inclusive gets 1 app, 1 main, and 1 dessert from the all inclusive menus during each meal period. However they were fine with trading certain ways, like skipping dessert and getting an extra app instead. This was useful for at Tabemasu where I'd rather have another sushi roll instead of dessert. Small plates at Riviera are effectively unlimited and not considered a course during any meal period.

Breakfast Buffet @ Turquoise -- Had good variety of food but outside of some of the South Asian stuff, I can't say that anything really stood out and some of it was outright bland. I'm a sucker for buffets and variety though so most days I still stuffed myself silly in the morning, had a tiny lunch, and then a normal but late dinner. If I went back I'd probably do a really small breakfast and then a normal lunch and dinner to have better food overall.

Tabemasu -- Really good, but be ready to make reservations ahead of time. You'll probably want to eat here more than once.

Waves -- stop in and get an affogato (ice cream + espresso), yum

Snorkeling -- Until someone else commented on one of the last days of my stay, I didn't really put it together that the house reef is technically just on the north side, and the south side is the "lagoon". I did most of my snorkeling in the lagoon and saw some big sting rays, eagle rays, and a few small sharks (I think black tip reef). After the other comment I did trek to the end of the north pier to snorkel the actual house reef. You have to swim about 15 min to the start of the reef, then you can kind of follow the current eastward for a bit, before having another 15-20 min swim back to the beach in front of the watersports building. If you are dealing with small kids then definitely stick to the lagoon which stayed around 3-4 ft and a lazy current. The house reef gets quite a bit deeper in parts, and the initial swim in and out would probably not be great for kids. It's also much more at the edge of the open ocean if that freaks you out. You will likely see a larger abundance of sea life around the reef than the lagoon though, but the lagoon isn't at all devoid of it.

Pools -- I think occupancy was ~50% while I was there but the two pools, while pretty small overall, were never really crowded. There also weren't a lot of beach chairs overall but there was always at least one pair open when I went looking.

Back of House & Greenhouse Tour -- at some point during the introduction tour, the guide mentioned that they could arrange a back of house tour and a greenhouse tour. I did both and found them really interesting. The back of house tour talked about power generation, water desalination and distribution, and some other points. If you have any interest in learning about how these standalone resorts operate and provide services like they're a small town then definitely give it a go. It was even conducted by the resort's chief engineer. The greenhouse tour was fairly short but they tell you about how they grow most of the produce used on the island which is cool.

Photo Shoot -- don't recall this mentioned before but you can book a free 30-min photo shoot and they'll print out one photo of your choosing, also free. Obviously the idea is that you'll buy more, and they were quite expensive (like over $200 to put 20 of the photos on a USB drive), but there was no hard sell when I declined to actually pay for anything.

Future thing to watch out for -- They were in the midst of building a new restaurant off the back/north end of Waves. It looks to be open-air, and I was told they're expecting it to be open sometime in December and it'll be small plates / tapas, similar to, but different from what's served next door at Riviera.

Let me know if anyone has any questions. Thanks to everyone that came before and shared info, and hopefully there's something useful here for all the lucky folks heading out there soon.
Nevsky, civicmon, CDKing and 4 others like this.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 10:28 am

Programs: DL 2MM
Originally Posted by brownpaw
Just got home after six nights. I'll try to consolidate some thoughts without going overboard on typing paragraphs of the same things that others have already said. Hopefully there's some new nuggets of info for some people out there:

Room Upgrade Option -- I booked OW sunrise on points. A few days before check-in I saw on the app I was upgraded (Platinum) to OW sunset. I had previously inquired about a cash upgrade from OW sunrise to sunset w/ pool and was quoted $300++ via email. Upon check-in I was offered upgrade to OW sunset w/ pool for $150++/night and took it. The ++ is taxes, service fees/gratuity, I believe they said it amounts to somewhere around 22.5%. Highly recommend the pool if you can swing it.

South Pier -- been a lot of interest in the new south pier which is now open. It's a bit closer to Velaa, Turquoise, and the front desk ("The Hub") than the original north pier but it's pretty far from Tabemasu (Japanese), Riviera (adults only pool+bar), and Waves (coffee & kombucha) which are right by the north pier. You can request a cart/buggy at any time though. Overall I am not sure why anyone would heavily prefer one over the other (maybe I missed something), except north side OW sunrise technically faces the sea planes but I don't know how bad the sound actually is.

Room Minibar -- Don't recall if anyone's detailed the minibar. It had:
  • Liquor/spirits: (I took a picture but can't quite read some of the exact volumes)
    • 350 ml Gordon's Gin
    • ~350 ml Absolut Vodka
    • 375 ml Jack Daniel's
    • 375 ml Johnnie Walker Black
    • ~375 ml Bacardi white rum
  • Beer
    • 2 x Tiger bottles
    • 2 x Corona bottles
  • Wine
    • ~375 ml Babich Merlot Carbernet
    • ~375 ml Babich Sauv Blanc (iirc)
  • Non-Alc
    • 2 x orange juice, 2 x apple juice
    • 2 x regular Coke, 2 x Diet Coke ("Coke Light" locally), 2 x Sprite, 2 x Schweppes soda water, 2 x Schweppes Tonic
    • 2 x San Pellegrino sparkling, 1 x Pana Aqua still water
  • Food
    • 3 pack of Ferrero Roche
    • Toblerone bar
    • Small box of salted peanuts
    • Small box of pistachios
    • Bag of salt and pepper potato chips/crisps
  • Other
    • There's also a small bottle of champagne but it is not included in the all-inclusive plan
    • Not really mini-bar but normal coffee stock was 3 x illy espresso pods, 1 x illy decaf pod, and numerous nice looking teas (didn't try those though)
It was stated to me that on the all-inclusive plan, everything (minus champagne) is included and can be restocked every day except the spirits which are only replaced every 4 days. For what it's worth, in practice, for me the spirits got replaced whenever the bottle wasn't in there. For anyone worrying about hydration, there's also numerous bottles of other drinking water around the villa which got replaced whenever they were low.

Draft Beer -- Most bars have some combination of Peroni, Heineken, Corona bottles. If you dig draft beer, note that the only draft beer available is at Turquoise & Velaa, and it was Tiger, and imho colder and infinitely better than anything in a bottle.

All Inclusive Courses -- All inclusive gets 1 app, 1 main, and 1 dessert from the all inclusive menus during each meal period. However they were fine with trading certain ways, like skipping dessert and getting an extra app instead. This was useful for at Tabemasu where I'd rather have another sushi roll instead of dessert. Small plates at Riviera are effectively unlimited and not considered a course during any meal period.

Breakfast Buffet @ Turquoise -- Had good variety of food but outside of some of the South Asian stuff, I can't say that anything really stood out and some of it was outright bland. I'm a sucker for buffets and variety though so most days I still stuffed myself silly in the morning, had a tiny lunch, and then a normal but late dinner. If I went back I'd probably do a really small breakfast and then a normal lunch and dinner to have better food overall.

Tabemasu -- Really good, but be ready to make reservations ahead of time. You'll probably want to eat here more than once.

Waves -- stop in and get an affogato (ice cream + espresso), yum

Snorkeling -- Until someone else commented on one of the last days of my stay, I didn't really put it together that the house reef is technically just on the north side, and the south side is the "lagoon". I did most of my snorkeling in the lagoon and saw some big sting rays, eagle rays, and a few small sharks (I think black tip reef). After the other comment I did trek to the end of the north pier to snorkel the actual house reef. You have to swim about 15 min to the start of the reef, then you can kind of follow the current eastward for a bit, before having another 15-20 min swim back to the beach in front of the watersports building. If you are dealing with small kids then definitely stick to the lagoon which stayed around 3-4 ft and a lazy current. The house reef gets quite a bit deeper in parts, and the initial swim in and out would probably not be great for kids. It's also much more at the edge of the open ocean if that freaks you out. You will likely see a larger abundance of sea life around the reef than the lagoon though, but the lagoon isn't at all devoid of it.

Pools -- I think occupancy was ~50% while I was there but the two pools, while pretty small overall, were never really crowded. There also weren't a lot of beach chairs overall but there was always at least one pair open when I went looking.

Back of House & Greenhouse Tour -- at some point during the introduction tour, the guide mentioned that they could arrange a back of house tour and a greenhouse tour. I did both and found them really interesting. The back of house tour talked about power generation, water desalination and distribution, and some other points. If you have any interest in learning about how these standalone resorts operate and provide services like they're a small town then definitely give it a go. It was even conducted by the resort's chief engineer. The greenhouse tour was fairly short but they tell you about how they grow most of the produce used on the island which is cool.

Photo Shoot -- don't recall this mentioned before but you can book a free 30-min photo shoot and they'll print out one photo of your choosing, also free. Obviously the idea is that you'll buy more, and they were quite expensive (like over $200 to put 20 of the photos on a USB drive), but there was no hard sell when I declined to actually pay for anything.

Future thing to watch out for -- They were in the midst of building a new restaurant off the back/north end of Waves. It looks to be open-air, and I was told they're expecting it to be open sometime in December and it'll be small plates / tapas, similar to, but different from what's served next door at Riviera.

Let me know if anyone has any questions. Thanks to everyone that came before and shared info, and hopefully there's something useful here for all the lucky folks heading out there soon.
Great info. Thank you!

Do you have bonvoy status?
Old Nov 9, 2022, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by BigKenny
Great info. Thank you!

Do you have bonvoy status?
Platinum
BigKenny likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 9:28 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Singapore Krisflyer Gold
Thanks for the great, detailed data point brownpaw . Sounds like things are getting better and better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.