Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Méridien Maldives Resort & Spa, Thilamaafushi, Maldives [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 7, 2021, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jason8612
Hotel email:
[email protected]

Resort Shared Seaplane Transfer:
Prices are inclusive of tax and fees and to be paid upon check-out.
420 USD per adult (12 years and above)
210 USD per child (ages between 2 and 11.99 years)
Baggage
Complimentary for infants (below 2 years)
Standard baggage is 30 25kg including hand luggage. Excess weight will be charged at 5.60 USD per kg (per round trip).
Max dimensions are 158 cm and 32 kg. Infants do not have baggage allowance.
Hours
Operate between 06:00 to 16:00.
For check-in, last international flight must arrive at or before 15:30.
For check-out, first international flight must depart at or after 09:00.
Complete Details can be found here.

COVID Related Topics
Testing
Testing available at 120++ USD pp and reservations should be made no later than 72 hours prior to departure.
Quarantine/Isolation Policy
What happens if I test positive for COVID? Current policy can be found here.
Contact Tracing
Where can I find the list of properties under contract tracing? Here.
What happens if a resort is listed under contract tracing?
Guests must travel directly between MLE airport and the property post arrival and pre departure via international flight ONLY.
Inter-island transfers will be ceased and guests will not be able to arrive from, depart to, another island in the Maldives.

Water Sports & Diving Menu

Spa, Beauty, & Fitness Menu

F&B Menu

Latitude Menu
Riviera Menu
Tabemasu Menu
Turquoise Menu
Velaa Lunch Menu
Velaa Dinner Menu
Waves Menu
Wine Master List
Mini Bar Menu

Meal Plans
Prices are inclusive of tax and fees
Bed and Breakfast per night

30 USD per adult (12 years and above)
15 USD per child (ages between 3 and 11.99 years)
Half Board per night
95 USD per adult (12 years and above)
47.50 USD per child (ages between 3 and 11.99 years)
Complimentary for infants (below 3 years)
Full Board Plus per night
155 USD per adult (12 years and above)
77.50 USD per child (ages between 3 and 11.99 years)
All-Inclusive per night
230 USD per adult (12 years and above)
115 USD per child (ages 3 and 11.99 years)
Details can be found here.

F&B Bonvoy Discounts
General Members & Silver Elite 10%
Gold Elite 15%
Platinum, Titanium, & Ambassador Elite 20%
Full Details can be found here.

Resort Map
Can be found here.
Room total can be found here.
Beach Bungalow and Beach Villa are categorized by location. See the resort map for more information.

Paid/confirmed upgrades
Rates per night as of 08-May-2021
From Sunrise OWV to Sunset OWV 50++ USD
From Sunrise OWV to Sunset OWV w/ pool 250++ USD
Terms
Must be for entire duration of reservation
Requires non-refundable payment at time of confirming
Availability and rates subject to change
Can you apply SNAs at this property? No.

Late Checkout Policy (subject to availability)
General Members: None
Silver Elite: "Priority"
Gold Elite: 2pm
Platinum & Titanium Elite: 4pm
Ambassador Elite: 4pm or "Your24"

Welcome Gift
General Members & Silver Elite: None
Gold Elite: 500 points per stay
Platinum, Titanium, and Ambassador Elite: Welcome Gift: 1000 points per stay OR amenity per stay OR breakfast at Turquoise Restaurant per day for 2 persons (member + 1)

Drone Restrictions
"We strictly prohibit the operation of any type of UAV or drones for any purpose within and above the premises of the resort as our guests' privacy is of our utmost concern. This prohibition extends to devices launched from the resort or from outside the boundaries of the resort. If you wish to take photographs or videos, you may do so at the common areas of our resort."
Print Wikipost

Le Méridien Maldives Resort & Spa, Thilamaafushi, Maldives [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2021, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by xplant
I am here now and will be leaving Monday, 25 October. Arrived 3 days ago. For me, this has been an incredible experience booked on the great points price in May. I'm Platinum and got upgraded automatically to the "Sunset OWV." Only half of the villas are open -- the other pier (or whatever you call the walkway with villas) is still being finished. Employees told me they are about 50% occupancy of what is actually open and usable right now but they expect it to get busier in November. One told me today there are about 250 employees on the island and about 90 guests, so the staff:guest ratio is over 2:1. This is my first time on a trip like this (and first Flyertalk post) and for me, it has been incredible and completely worth it. I'm here until Monday so could try to answer questions "from the ground" if I could be helpful. Reading this forum certainly helped me plan this trip on the other side of the world..
Glad you're enjoying it! Could you let us know your experience with the food? Did you get a meal plan / how was the food?
Old Oct 22, 2021, 6:03 pm

I am here now and will be leaving Monday, 25 October. Arrived 3 days ago. For me, this has been an incredible experience booked on the great points price in May. I'm Platinum and got upgraded automatically to the "Sunset OWV." Only half of the villas are open -- the other pier (or whatever you call the walkway with villas) is still being finished. Employees told me they are about 50% occupancy of what is actually open and usable right now but they expect it to get busier in November. One told me today there are about 250 employees on the island and about 90 guests, so the staff:guest ratio is over 2:1. This is my first time on a trip like this (and first Flyertalk post) and for me, it has been incredible and completely worth it. I'm here until Monday so could try to answer questions "from the ground" if I could be helpful. Reading this forum certainly helped me plan this trip on the other side of the world..
Is there a discount on the mealplans with your status? I'm getting conflicting answers. On the frequentmiler blog post, they said $30 off, but when I emailed them, they said no discount, so a little confused.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 11:26 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by bobu
Is there a discount on the mealplans with your status? I'm getting conflicting answers. On the frequentmiler blog post, they said $30 off, but when I emailed them, they said no discount, so a little confused.
​​​​​​If you take breakfast as your benifit it can reduce the mealplan as for as my understanding is.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 2:59 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; Royal Ambassor
Island time?

Is the hotel on Island time, like many other Maldivian hotels, which means 1 hour ahead of Male?
Old Oct 23, 2021, 3:20 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by mb123
Is the hotel on Island time, like many other Maldivian hotels, which means 1 hour ahead of Male?
No, works to the same time as Male, I would actually prefer it if it was on Island time I have to say.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 9:58 am

I just got back from Westin Maldives and they were 1 hour ahead of Male. Some resorts are 2 hours ahead.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 1:15 am

Programs: Bonvoy, HH, Delta Skymiles
I asked at "The Hub" (the Le Meriden version of the Front Desk) and was told they are NOT on Island Time. Here is the same time as in Male -- he said "we are on Maldivian Time." He said some islands are one hour ahead but not here.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 2:27 am

Food experience / meal plans

Originally Posted by phasher99
Glad you're enjoying it! Could you let us know your experience with the food? Did you get a meal plan / how was the food?
Understand this is my first time staying at an island resort so I don't have much for comparison but I have found the food to be delicious, with a great variety and well-presented. Having said that, first a little background:

I am Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, and I chose the daily breakfast as my Elite Benefit gift. (The other 2 options were 1) 1,000 points per stay -obviously not the best choice or 2) a Maldivian gift -- which right now is some piece of Maldivian clothing). I just assumed that for me, a meal plan would not be the best option so I just told them at check-in I was not interested. However, after getting this question and doing some research, I'm not sure I would make the same choice in the future. Why? My original plan was to eat breakfast late each day, (it is a huge buffet each day with 10+ stations ranging from local Maldivian fare, to a Chinese soup and dim sum station, to bacon & eggs, potatoes, etc, cold cuts, pancakes/crepes, etc. -- i think this has been covered with photos in this thread), then skip lunch and eat dinner, some days small other days full meals. There were a few disadvantages to this:
  • With jet lag, some days I was awake very early - and hungry. Waiting 4 hours for breakfast wasn't always realistic.
  • Knowing it would be my only meal until evening (and few options for snacks) made me tempted to stuff myself at breakfast
  • It's not really possible to get a "light meal" in the evening. There are only three restaurants open in the evening: Turquoise, Velaa and Tabemasu. Waves and Latitude close at 5 p.m. (used to be 6) and Riviera stops serving food at 8 (and the food comes from the kitchen on the other side of the island, so the wait is at least 30 minutes for light bites only). Basically, you are forced to eat a meal that is not in expensive at one of the three. (There is no "snack bar" or convenience store that I know of). One night, I was determined to eat light and got only a small bowl of lobster bisque and an appetizer at Velaa and that was $66.14 USD.. The other nights my meals were $90, $90 (Turquoise Buffet 2 nights) , $80.00 (Mixed Grille & Onion Rings at Velaa) and tonight I plan to eat at Tabemasu which will be $130 for the "chef's choice" 5 course meal. (I didn't have dinner the first night because I was full from the plane meal) So, the food is not cheap and, except for the buffet, the portions are not generally huge, nor, aside from bread at Vella, are sides or any extras included. If you order the fish filet, that's exactly what you get - fish. But as the reviews are consistently noting, the service and employees are phenomenal and somehow I didn't leave unhappy even knowing the bill.
I spent on meals (dinner only, no beverages except the provided sparkling and still water) $459.68. I could have had "Half Board" on the Elite Benefits price list for $65/day times 6 days = $390, taxes and service fees included. (It would not have included Tabemasu so that would have brought the total cost to $520 and I would have had full meals each night.

Or, I could have taken the Full Board Plus for $750 for 6 nights and had each day:
  • a selection of alcohol and other beverages
  • lunch
  • minibar snacks
I ended up spending $118.50 for six drinks, so adding that to the $459.68 I spent on food, I spent a total of $588.18 on food and alcohol, with no snacks, no lunch and a bit of anxiety about "making it through the day." In retrospect, the extra $160 to get the Full Board Plus probably would have been worth it.

As for the Elite vs. Non-Elite prices, there are a couple of things which make it confusing, but I think I have it figured out:
  • In this part of the Marriott world, Platinum and above receive 20% off all food & beverage if you are not on a plan. I saw this on each bill I got, so my costs above reflect this discount already.
  • If you are using your Platinum or above for the free breakfast, you would use what I'll call "Price LIst A" to add on a meal plan (e.g. Half Board would cost you $65)
  • If you are not Platinum or above, or if you are but chose not to take the included breakfast as your elite benefit, then you would use what I'll call "Price List B" (e.g. Half Board would cost you $95, so they apparently value breakfast at $30)
    • So, there is not a $30 discount but it is reflected in the 2 different price lists.
This is a lot of numbers and info and perhaps too complicated, but I wanted to provide as much detail as possible in case someone was interested. I will try to attach the 2 price lists for the the Meal Plans. Please let me know if you need any clarification or more information. I leave early tomorrow morning, which is about 16 hours from now and I'm already depressed. It really is paradise here.

Hmm, I can't get the attachments to load so I'll work on that...
renila, dgreen12, JC5280 and 6 others like this.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Thanks for the very helpful info xplant. Like you, I was planning on taking the Tit breakfast and eating light for dinner. However I am a strict vegetarian (no fish). Would your recommendation be any different if you were in my shoes since vegetarian meals tend to be cheaper?
Old Oct 24, 2021, 6:05 am

Programs: UA 1K
Thank you for the very detailed explanation xplant!
You make a great case for the meal plan! But as I understand it, the food options on the meal plan are quite limited - but perhaps that has changed?
Old Oct 24, 2021, 6:54 am

Vegetarian options

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Thanks for the very helpful info xplant. Like you, I was planning on taking the Tit breakfast and eating light for dinner. However I am a strict vegetarian (no fish). Would your recommendation be any different if you were in my shoes since vegetarian meals tend to be cheaper?
There are a couple vegetarian options especially on the Turquoise buffet and I did see a couple on Turquoise ala carte menu (such as mushroom risotto or the vegetable wrap) and that was slightly less expensive but still $30 or $35. I think your best option for strict vegetarian with no fish is the Turquoise buffet (breakfast and dinner but that is $80++) so you might benefit from a plan... I don't find any strict vegetarian options on the Velaa menu.
​​​​​
margarita girl likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 7:15 am

Meal plan options

Originally Posted by YumYumcake
Thank you for the very detailed explanation xplant!
You make a great case for the meal plan! But as I understand it, the food options on the meal plan are quite limited - but perhaps that has changed?
My understanding is that in the first month they seldom had a buffet because they didn't have enough guests. Now apparently there is a buffet nearly every night and there seems to be the 3 course meal each night at Velaa. I haven't paid close attention but it seems they have it more together for the meal plans than last month.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 7:23 am

Vegetarian - one other thought

There are a couple vegetarian options especially on the Turquoise buffet and I did see a couple on Turquoise ala carte menu (such as mushroom risotto or the vegetable wrap) and that was slightly less expensive but still $30 or $35. I think your best option for strict vegetarian with no fish is the Turquoise buffet (breakfast and dinner but that is $80++) so you might benefit from a plan... I don't find any strict vegetarian options on the Velaa menu.
​​​​​
one other thought - I have heard that one of the main chefs, Devjit, is extremely accommodating to special diets so he may be able to produce other ala carte options that would suit you. But I wouldn't know the pricing. That is something you might contact the resort directly to address. By the way, Ahmed Azhyn, who some have received emails from, is the reservations manager and a real person who works here. I met him and seemed to make his day by telling him how much I appreciated his communications as I prepared to travel halfway around the world for this trip.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 10:45 am

As @xplant mentioned, it's not so much of a discount, but the price for full board was $155 in the PDF I was emailed from the resort but after picking breakfast as my welcome amenity, I was shown a $125 full board option. We elected not to do the full board because it only included 4 or 5 cocktails from the restaurants - none that we really liked - but we learned from another couple this isn't really enforced, which may have changed the calculus for us.

My understanding is that in the first month they seldom had a buffet because they didn't have enough guests. Now apparently there is a buffet nearly every night and there seems to be the 3 course meal each night at Velaa. I haven't paid close attention but it seems they have it more together for the meal plans than last month.
They did not have the buffet there when we were there. How as it? Also, with the buffet, do you still get the 20% platinum discount?

Also, when you refer to the 3 course meal, are you referring to the meal you'd get if you were on a meal plan?

• In this part of the Marriott world, Platinum and above receive 20% off all food & beverage if you are not on a plan. I saw this on each bill I got, so my costs above reflect this discount already.
Correct- you can confirm the benefits here! :: https://marriottbonvoyasia.com/r+b/benefits

In the fine terms and conditions here, also enforced at the resort, the 20% does not apply to "promotional" menus, such as the lobster night....which we were able to get credited on the bill but just wasn't a super great experience since you figured ordering F&B from a restaurant would give you the aforementioned F&B credit.

• The Discount Offer does not apply to seasonal or promotional menus, festive products (e.g. Mooncakes, Christmas Hampers), takeaway, deliveries, minibar, in-room dining, private dining rooms, contracted groups and events and outdoor catering bookings held in catering venues or any booking in restaurant for more than 10 persons.

Originally Posted by YumYumcake
Our favorite restaurant was Tabemasu; I think the math was similar to xplant's that we probably came out about even and if we did a meal plan could have had more lunches and drinks, but we really liked the food and the service at Tabemasu. They somehow knew it was my birthday and treated us very well. The service was always really good at the restaurants here but Tabemasu's service was by far the best for us. We did the 5 course teppanyaki too; essentially private chef for 2 hours was pretty unique.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by imverge
I just got back from Westin Maldives and they were 1 hour ahead of Male. Some resorts are 2 hours ahead.
Why is that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.