Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Travel Packages [** Discontinued Jan 19, 2022 **]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
FAQ from Jan 19/22 email from Marriott:

Can I Still Order Travel Package Awards?

Information on Marriott Bonvoy® Travel Packages
No. Due to varying factors such as low volume in demand, we are no longer selling Travel Package Awards as of January 19, 2022.

Q: What happens to the Travel Package Award I already have in my Account?

If you have a Travel Package Award attached to an existing Reservation, rest assured, we will be honoring your stay and no additional action is required.

Please Note:
The airline miles portion of the Travel Package Award was deposited to you at the time of purchase of the Travel Package Award and, therefore, will not be refunded.

Q: What happens if I need to modify or cancel my Travel Package Award redemption Reservation after March 2, 2022?

If you modify or cancel a Redemption Reservation that has a Travel Package Award attached to it after March 2, 2022, you must contact Member Support to cancel the Travel Package Award, after which you will receive a full Marriott Bonvoy® Point refund for the Hotel portion of the Award. Please visit https://www.marriott.com/help/loyalt...mer-support.mi to find the appropriate Member Support phone number based on your geographic location.

Q: How many Points will I be refunded?

Members will receive a full Marriott Bonvoy® Points refund for the Hotel portion of the Travel Package Award. The refund will be based on the current Points redemption category levels and will equal the sum of the Peak Points Redemption Rate per each Night of the Travel Package Award, at the highest category for which the Award was eligible. The airline miles portion of the Travel Package Award was deposited to you at the time of purchase of the Travel Package Award and, therefore, will not be refunded.

Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages [** Discontinued Jan 19, 2022 **]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2020, 2:46 pm

I don't think that's possible
Old Jul 21, 2020, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by cronin85
Has anyone been able to convert an QPxx (post-merger converted partial package) travel certificate for a one with higher category? I currently have a category 6 one that I want to convert to category 7.
Interested to hear the answer to this also!
Old Jul 21, 2020, 11:55 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by cronin85
Has anyone been able to convert an QPxx (post-merger converted partial package) travel certificate for a one with higher category? I currently have a category 6 one that I want to convert to category 7.
I believe the answer is no. Your only opportunity to potentially upgrade would have been when you converted to the new QP cert and even then most people were being told no. That opportunity is long gone.

With Bonvoy nothing is certain so it would not hurt to attempt a few calls, but policy says no and there have not been reports of this happening for a long time. Good Luck and let us know what happens.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 10:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
So I've just detached my final TP cert since I can't enter the country the hotel is in due to Covid. The cert has been returned to my account with a Jan 31st 2021 expiry date. There really is a very low chance of me being able to use this for anything I actually want to do in the time I have before expiry. It was extended when it was converted from an old TP cert to a new TP cert. I assume Covid has caused a lot of Bonvoy members to cancel their plans. Am I deluded to think I may be able to talk Marriott into extending it until 1 year from now?
Old Aug 2, 2020, 11:24 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by ankomonkey
Am I deluded to think I may be able to talk Marriott into extending it until 1 year from now?
There really is only one way to know. Call and ask. The odds are low but what do you have to lose? HUCA a few times if the answer is no.

Please report back with the outcome.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 11:26 am

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
We were told we could extend a Travel Package once after it was converted from an OC to a NC. Marriott automatically extended them once. Since some of us have not initiated an extension, I would hope we are still entitled to one extension. Please try and let us know the results.
margarita girl and pazza2000 like this.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by jtp1947
We were told we could extend a Travel Package once after it was converted from an OC to a NC. Marriott automatically extended them once. Since some of us have not initiated an extension, I would hope we are still entitled to one extension. Please try and let us know the results.
Likewise! Worth holding off with this request as they may auto extend them again, or is that wishful thinking?
Old Aug 3, 2020, 9:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
There really is only one way to know. Call and ask. The odds are low but what do you have to lose? HUCA a few times if the answer is no.

Please report back with the outcome.
Originally Posted by jtp1947
I called last night (UK time) and got through to a lady with an American accent. She told me they have been told they cannot extend TP certs and that their IT system doesn't allow it anyway. So a clear non-negotiable rejection. She said it has no refund value and my options were to use it myself or gift it. Interested to see if anyone gets told anything different.
jtp1947 and pazza2000 like this.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by ankomonkey
I called last night (UK time) and got through to a lady with an American accent. She told me they have been told they cannot extend TP certs and that their IT system doesn't allow it anyway. So a clear non-negotiable rejection. She said it has no refund value and my options were to use it myself or gift it. Interested to see if anyone gets told anything different.
From my experience, agents have access to systems that others don’t! I think someone would and could extend for you beyond January (worth holding off until nearer the time), it’s just getting a hold of them
ankomonkey likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by pazza2000
From my experience, agents have access to systems that others don’t! I think someone would and could extend for you beyond January (worth holding off until nearer the time), it’s just getting a hold of them
you have to find an agent that knows about the secondary system and WILLING to swap it out for you. Basically cancelling the current certificate and repurchasing the residual certificate for the same cost as the one that is cancelled. Previously the cancelled certificate has a residual refund equal to the reissued certificate. Not sure now. As for waiting until closer to expiration to call (if Marriott doesn’t auto extend another round), if you are good with losing the certificate, then wait. I personally will just use it locally for a staycation and write it off as a pandemic loss. But one thing is for sure, there will be lots and lots and lots of complaints when Marriott doesn’t extend (I take that back, even if extended, the complaint will be that the extension is not long enough). I guess that is the game.
jtp1947 and ankomonkey like this.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by myperks
you have to find an agent that knows about the secondary system and WILLING to swap it out for you. Basically cancelling the current certificate and repurchasing the residual certificate for the same cost as the one that is cancelled. Previously the cancelled certificate has a residual refund equal to the reissued certificate. Not sure now. As for waiting until closer to expiration to call (if Marriott doesn’t auto extend another round), if you are good with losing the certificate, then wait. I personally will just use it locally for a staycation and write it off as a pandemic loss. But one thing is for sure, there will be lots and lots and lots of complaints when Marriott doesn’t extend (I take that back, even if extended, the complaint will be that the extension is not long enough). I guess that is the game.
It will be an interesting one to see how they handle it! The original extension through to January was certainly fair, however as time goes on it will likely prove of little use to many, unlike the the 1 night credit card certs should arguably be much easier to reasonably use even in the current situation.
ankomonkey likes this.

Last edited by pazza2000; Aug 3, 2020 at 10:39 am
Old Aug 3, 2020, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by pazza2000
It will be an interesting one to see how they handle it! The original extension through to January was certainly fair, however as time goes on it will likely prove of little use to many, unlike the the 1 nigh credit card certs should arguably be much easier to reasonably use even in the current situation.
but these Legacy certs have been around since August 2018, some may even be from 2017 (because no one without a specific purpose will get the new package ).
Old Aug 3, 2020, 10:41 am

but these Legacy certs have been around since August 2018, some may even be from 2017 (because no one without a specific purpose will get the new package ).
Good point! Maybe a case of they’ve been understanding re. extending these, or more changes have worked in our favour, and now when they maybe should be more understanding re. an extension, they don’t technically need to be.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 10:53 am

you have to find an agent that knows about the secondary system and WILLING to swap it out for you. Basically cancelling the current certificate and repurchasing the residual certificate for the same cost as the one that is cancelled.
Yes, I'm pretty sure you are exactly right on this. I will probably keep trying sporadically until someone extends it for me, Marriott announces another blanket extension or my bottle runs out and I just use it on something I have no need or desire for. My biggest problem is needing a room for 4 people. I would use it at many city or resort hotels if I could, but they don't represent good value if I need 2 rooms. It was initially attached to a resort that allowed 2 adults and 2 kids in a 'double double' room in a country not currently accepting non-residents. School rules mean I can't be flexible about dates either.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 11:14 am

ankomonkey -- If the reason you were unable to use it for your chosen hotel is that the country was closed to American (i.e., U.S.) travelers, as most if not all of the EU is, I would think you have a compelling argument that Marriott should extend the validity at least until the ban on US travel is lifted, and a reasonable time thereafter. Of course we're not sure when the EU will lift its ban, but if Marriott doesn't extend the certificates on their own motion, I'd certainly contact them with such a request this autumn.
ankomonkey likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.