Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Travel Packages [** Discontinued Jan 19, 2022 **]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
FAQ from Jan 19/22 email from Marriott:

Can I Still Order Travel Package Awards?

Information on Marriott Bonvoy® Travel Packages
No. Due to varying factors such as low volume in demand, we are no longer selling Travel Package Awards as of January 19, 2022.

Q: What happens to the Travel Package Award I already have in my Account?

If you have a Travel Package Award attached to an existing Reservation, rest assured, we will be honoring your stay and no additional action is required.

Please Note:
The airline miles portion of the Travel Package Award was deposited to you at the time of purchase of the Travel Package Award and, therefore, will not be refunded.

Q: What happens if I need to modify or cancel my Travel Package Award redemption Reservation after March 2, 2022?

If you modify or cancel a Redemption Reservation that has a Travel Package Award attached to it after March 2, 2022, you must contact Member Support to cancel the Travel Package Award, after which you will receive a full Marriott Bonvoy® Point refund for the Hotel portion of the Award. Please visit https://www.marriott.com/help/loyalt...mer-support.mi to find the appropriate Member Support phone number based on your geographic location.

Q: How many Points will I be refunded?

Members will receive a full Marriott Bonvoy® Points refund for the Hotel portion of the Travel Package Award. The refund will be based on the current Points redemption category levels and will equal the sum of the Peak Points Redemption Rate per each Night of the Travel Package Award, at the highest category for which the Award was eligible. The airline miles portion of the Travel Package Award was deposited to you at the time of purchase of the Travel Package Award and, therefore, will not be refunded.

Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages [** Discontinued Jan 19, 2022 **]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2020, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
happy to see mine being extended from August to January. Not sure if that is much use, but hey ... better than nothing.
bluestrudels and atojbk like this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 9:47 am

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
Wondering if I will still be able for my onetime extension of my travel packages since Bonvoy just extended them to January 2021? They were extended once from an OC to NC.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 10:29 pm

Has Anyone successfully attached a travel package in the last week?
It seems like Marriott reps aren't able to attach your 7night certificate anymore. Due to the new backend system reps cannot properly attach the 7night travel package certificate without accessing the old system. Currently, most reps do not have access anymore to the old system. I've been trying without any luck to attach the certificate for more than 2 weeks. Multiple loyalty care, elite service reps have confirmed this is the case. What disturbing is that Marriott is still selling the travel package even though they cannot be used.

Another big issue. To book a travel package the rep must first book the reservation as a points advance and then attach the cert, however, with Marriott's new rule that you cannot book a points advance within 30 days its impossible to use your cert unless you have enough points to cover the stay.

Every rep I speak seems to be frustrated at Marriott's IT glitches and though they have been opening up internal cases about this issue for more than a year it hasn't been fixed

Is this the end?
Old Apr 19, 2020, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Michelle AnLee Schweitzer
Another big issue. To book a travel package the rep must first book the reservation as a points advance and then attach the cert, however, with Marriott's new rule that you cannot book a points advance within 30 days its impossible to use your cert unless you have enough points to cover the stay.
I have not ordered travel packages since 2016 (SAN) and 2017 (WAS). Thanks for the heads up not to do so unless I have enough excess points to cover that week's stay. And of course, after they resolve the certificate attachment issue.

We've been Bonv°yed!

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Apr 19, 2020 at 11:46 am
Old Apr 19, 2020, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Yeah. 3 certs were at late Dec 2020, now 1/31/2021... worthless extension.
Originally Posted by cfischer
happy to see mine being extended from August to January. Not sure if that is much use, but hey ... better than nothing.
Originally Posted by jtp1947
Wondering if I will still be able for my onetime extension of my travel packages since Bonvoy just extended them to January 2021? They were extended once from an OC to NC.
exactly. im still gonna try and call for an extension before expiration. COVID extensions are definitely useful when certs expiring soon (eg march/april), but i didnt need my holiday nov/dec certs extended by just a few months (esp because now i have to use my summer certs for the holidays instead). i would like the "typical" full 12 month extn on those. they better not tell me "sir, they have already been extended once before".

It seems like Marriott reps aren't able to attach your 7night certificate anymore. Due to the new backend system reps cannot properly attach the 7night travel package certificate without accessing the old system. Currently, most reps do not have access anymore to the old system. I've been trying without any luck to attach the certificate for more than 2 weeks. Multiple loyalty care, elite service reps have confirmed this is the case.

To book a travel package the rep must first book the reservation as a points advance and then attach the cert, however, with Marriott's new rule that you cannot book a points advance within 30 days its impossible to use your cert unless you have enough points to cover the stay.
could you provide more detail? what exactly are you trying to do and what have you been told? when are your travel dates? have you tried any global call centers? i havent experienced your exact issue since ive been staying away from bonvoy, but more detail would help the community give suggestions.

unless youre in a hurry, i would wait. bonvoy is going through a lot of IT pain and confusion right now. more than before. also, most bonvoy reps are stupidiots. many issues booking TP even before COVID.
jtp1947 likes this.

Last edited by GundamWing01; Apr 19, 2020 at 5:45 pm
Old Apr 20, 2020, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by GundamWing01
exactly. im still gonna try and call for an extension before expiration. COVID extensions are definitely useful when certs expiring soon (eg march/april), but i didnt need my holiday nov/dec certs extended by just a few months (esp because now i have to use my summer certs for the holidays instead). i would like the "typical" full 12 month extn on those. they better not tell me "sir, they have already been extended once before".

could you provide more detail? what exactly are you trying to do and what have you been told? when are your travel dates? have you tried any global call centers? i havent experienced your exact issue since ive been staying away from bonvoy, but more detail would help the community give suggestions.

unless youre in a hurry, i would wait. bonvoy is going through a lot of IT pain and confusion right now. more than before. also, most bonvoy reps are stupidiots. many issues booking TP even before COVID.
I am a travel agent so I do this a lot.
Attaching a travel package certificate to a reservation is practically impossible.
For the past year it's been getting more and more difficult. At first most reps were able to attach in the old system but slowly, slowly Marriott restricted reps access to the old system and in the new system the certs cannot be properly attached.
reps are attaching them "manually".
manually means that the rep takes the cert number and puts in the reservation notes that certificate xyz will cover the cost of the reservation.
this is very problematic because the reservation shows up as unpaid for in the system and hotel has no way of verifying the reservation as it is still a points advance and as the date of check in gets closer the reservation will be automatically cancelled, or changed into rack rate. Also, take the chance that when you get to the hotel the hotel won't let you check in.
It was difficult to work with the past year but just recently it became impossible.
Marriott had known of the issue already for months and frankly doesn't care to fix
Old Apr 20, 2020, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Has Anyone successfully attached a travel package in the last week?
It seems like Marriott reps aren't able to attach your 7night certificate anymore. Due to the new backend system reps cannot properly attach the 7night travel package certificate without accessing the old system. Currently, most reps do not have access anymore to the old system. I've been trying without any luck to attach the certificate for more than 2 weeks. Multiple loyalty care, elite service reps have confirmed this is the case. What disturbing is that Marriott is still selling the travel package even though they cannot be used.

Every rep I speak seems to be frustrated at Marriott's IT glitches and though they have been opening up internal cases about this issue for more than a year it hasn't been fixed

Is this the end?
Just curious. Whatever happened with the 27 certs your purchased for your wedding two years ago? Were you able to use them?
Old Apr 20, 2020, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr
Just curious. Whatever happened with the 27 certs your purchased for your wedding two years ago? Were you able to use them?
We have a bunch left and even purchased some of the new packages since they put the price up...
I guess screw you once, and they will screw you again.
Our problem was that we use Marriott credit for the business and only changed 6 months ago.
The travel packages still have a good value for specific airlines but this is beyond crazy. The certs cant even be used
Old Apr 20, 2020, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Attaching a travel package certificate to a reservation is practically impossible.
For the past year it's been getting more and more difficult. At first most reps were able to attach in the old system but slowly, slowly Marriott restricted reps access to the old system and in the new system the certs cannot be properly attached.
manually means that the rep takes the cert number and puts in the reservation notes that certificate xyz will cover the cost of the reservation.
this is very problematic because the reservation shows up as unpaid for in the system and hotel has no way of verifying the reservation as it is still a points advance and as the date of check in gets closer the reservation will be automatically cancelled, or changed into rack rate. Also, take the chance that when you get to the hotel the hotel won't let you check in.
It was difficult to work with the past year but just recently it became impossible.
Marriott had known of the issue already for months and frankly doesn't care to fix
People are reporting that to contact both the hotel and the lurker - and get confirmation on certs being properly attached.
There are posts upthread have addressed what you said, and people have no problems at check in.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
People are reporting that to contact both the hotel and the lurker - and get confirmation on certs being properly attached.
There are posts upthread have addressed what you said, and people have no problems at check in.
who is the lurker, also I am aware of the issues the past year however in the past week or two it went from difficult to impossible
Old Apr 21, 2020, 1:16 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold - cheapass economy flyer!
Just one more datapoint, that my certificate was extended automatically to January 31, 2021.

Not sure how we’ll use it, but... better than a hole in the head. I will say, my tolerance for 7 nights in the same place has probably increased recently, I suppose it’s marginally safer than staying in multiple hotels in multiple different rooms. I just wish I wanted to stay someplace for 7 nights that is still a cat 4.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 1:27 am

who is the lurker, also I am aware of the issues the past year however in the past week or two it went from difficult to impossible
Marriott Bonvoy Lurker II
Old Apr 22, 2020, 11:31 pm

Interesting to hear more about the process! I guess the ‘new system’ is when the cert. is manually attached. and if booked via the new system it isn’t going to be automatically returned upon cancellation?
Old Apr 23, 2020, 8:49 pm

So, I had a certificate attached to a booking that needed to be delayed

Hotel had gone up in category since making the booking.

Reservation phone people said they wouldn't be able to attach the certificate to the new booking.

I said I understood that is the normally policy, but surely in a situation like this, they could figure something out, seems odd that while every other industry in the world is trying to encourage people to reschedule bookings, Marriott is forcing me to cancel instead, etc.

Got no-where. Told multiple times, nothing we can do.

In the end I gave up, but then on the off chance, I emailed the hotel directly.

I figured it's mostly in their interest that the stay doesn't get cancelled, as if I cancel rather than rebook, I'll inevitably end up using the voucher at a different hotel.

The hotel emailed back within an hour saying they'd changed it, I received a new reservation confirmation, and on the website the booking says there's a certificate attached, which seems promising.

Anything I can do (or ask them to check) to make sure it has actually "worked" and avoid showing up at the hotel and have them tell me, sorry your certificate isn't valid, please pay our ridiculous last-minute cash rate?
qlaval and rny321 like this.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 1:37 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pazza2000
Interesting to hear more about the process! I guess the ‘new system’ is when the cert. is manually attached. and if booked via the new system it isn’t going to be automatically returned upon cancellation?
It's not only the TP are having issues with the "new system", the 40k FN cert when earned at Titanium 75N milestone is also widely infamous for not being able to redeem successfully in the "new system". Sometimes I wonder why Marriott pays these outsourced "IT companies" millions for contracts that can't process simple things like award reservations. Why "improve" the old system and destroy the legacy SPG system when clearly those technologies were already working is beyond me..
Counsellor and pazza2000 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.