FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Travel Packages [** Discontinued Jan 19, 2022 **] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1985761-marriott-travel-packages-discontinued-jan-19-2022-a.html)

RedSun Sep 3, 2019 10:37 am

Marriott Travel Packages [** Discontinued Jan 19, 2022 **]

Since the original Marriott Travel Packages have expired 12 months after the big merger on 8/18/2018, we need a new place to discuss the TPs. The OC TPs do not exist any longer.

This will include the legacy Travel Packages issued prior to the merger and have been re-issued. It also includes the new Travel Packages issued after the merger. The new TPs are less attractive.

tylerc Sep 3, 2019 5:56 pm

Anyone have success applying a converted cert to a legacy booking pre category change?

I have a NC5 5 night that I want to apply to a property that I booked as cat 5, but is now cat 6.

RedSun Sep 3, 2019 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by tylerc (Post 31487567)
Anyone have success applying a converted cert to a legacy booking pre category change?

I have a NC5 5 night that I want to apply to a property that I booked as cat 5, but is now cat 6.

Recently Marriott has stopped issuing "adjustment" points for the old (point advance) reservations with lower rates until close to travel time. They said they would still honor them, just not adding the points now. This will certainly impact your situation. Give them a call.

Good luck.

tylerc Sep 4, 2019 4:37 am

Originally Posted by RedSun (Post 31487742)
Recently Marriott has stopped issuing "adjustment" points for the old (point advance) reservations with lower rates until close to travel time. They said they would still honor them, just not adding the points now. This will certainly impact your situation. Give them a call.

Good luck.

They were pretty clear they wouldn't do anything for the travel packs, and indicated they had to be attached to the reservation prior to the category change. I tried to argue that I couldn't attach it prior to the change, and that it had to be converted to the new package.

In the case of points, they're actually adding the additional points to the account to finalize the reservation?

RedSun Sep 4, 2019 7:21 am

Originally Posted by tylerc (Post 31488774)
They were pretty clear they wouldn't do anything for the travel packs, and indicated they had to be attached to the reservation prior to the category change. I tried to argue that I couldn't attach it prior to the change, and that it had to be converted to the new package.

In the case of points, they're actually adding the additional points to the account to finalize the reservation?

Right now, Marriott won't add additional points to finalize the reservation. They will still honor the reservation but they want to wait until you are close to the actual travel.

Call Marriott again to see if you can get the TP attached to prior reservation.

myperks Sep 4, 2019 7:57 am

Originally Posted by RedSun (Post 31489172)
Right now, Marriott won't add additional points to finalize the reservation. They will still honor the reservation but they want to wait until you are close to the actual travel.

Call Marriott again to see if you can get the TP attached to prior reservation.

little or no reported evidence that tp are honored for pre change category points advance. Of course you can attach a tp to prior points advance reservation in the same category.

Marriott appears to still honor points advance reservation closer to stay date but since this is a travel package thread, it seems irrelevant.

RedSun Sep 4, 2019 8:29 am

Originally Posted by myperks (Post 31489291)

little or no reported evidence that tp are honored for pre change category points advance. Of course you can attach a tp to prior points advance reservation in the same category.

Marriott appears to still honor points advance reservation closer to stay date but since this is a travel package thread, it seems irrelevant.

I was able to attach a NC TP to a prior PA booking with the old category. But it was quite a while (months) ago. The logic at that time was that, Marriott would honor the old category. If the hotel changed from NC-5 to NC-6, then Marriott should still honor the NC-5 and allow the NC-5 TP be attached.

Things continue to change at Marriott side. They enforce more and more rules.

myperks Sep 4, 2019 9:34 am

Originally Posted by RedSun (Post 31489386)
I was able to attach a NC TP to a prior PA booking with the old category. But it was quite a while (months) ago. The logic at that time was that, Marriott would honor the old category. If the hotel changed from NC-5 to NC-6, then Marriott should still honor the NC-5 and allow the NC-5 TP be attached.

no current reports of this happening and from personal experience. Responses to this request from multiple posters have the same response from Marriott in the other thread. The only way for this to happen if you find an agent that will order you a new (upgraded) category travel package certificate and give you the difference between the residual and the new certificate, which I have not seen reported.

RedSun Sep 4, 2019 9:44 am

Originally Posted by myperks (Post 31489604)

no current reports of this happening and from personal experience. Responses to this request from multiple posters have the same response from Marriott in the other thread. The only way for this to happen if you find an agent that will order you a new (upgraded) category travel package certificate and give you the difference between the residual and the new certificate, which I have not seen reported.

The agent canceled the TP and re-ordered the new TP and attached to the booking.

This is a moot point now. I do not think Marriott will be any flexible with the legacy TP going forward.

You can still give them a call and hope for the best. It does not cost anything.

Flying for Fun Sep 4, 2019 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun (Post 31489386)

According to the Lurkers, a NC TP (which everyone has now as all OC are expired & extinct) cannot be attached to an existing PA booking. Period! It can only be attached at the time of booking.

You can read Lurker II's reply here.

"Secondly, members cannot book a Points Advance Reservation for the use of a Travel package Award. They must be ordered and/or attached to the reservation at the time of booking."

If you have a PA booking and expect to attach a TP to it, I think you are out of luck. You will need to cancel your reservation and rebook it at the current category. Since TP's are category based, peak, standard and off-peak pricing doesn't come into play.

James

RedSun Sep 4, 2019 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun (Post 31490569)
If you have a PA booking and expect to attach a TP to it, I think you are out of luck. You will need to cancel your reservation and rebook it at the current category. Since TP's are category based, peak, standard and off-peak pricing doesn't come into play.

James

The question is that, if you booked a Cat-5 hotel and now it is Cat-6. And you want to attach your Cat-6 TP. But this property is not bookable with points now. Would the Marriott rep allow you to attach the Cat-6 TP to this reservation? I think you should be able to since you already booked your hotel space and pay at the current rate.

We all know you can't attach the Cat-5 TP to this booking any more since it has changed to Cat-6.

Flying for Fun Sep 4, 2019 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun (Post 31490606)
The question is that, if you booked a Cat-5 hotel and now it is Cat-6. And you want to attach your Cat-6 TP. But this property is not bookable with points now. Would the Marriott rep allow you to attach the Cat-6 TP to this reservation? I think you should be able to since you already booked your hotel space and pay at the current rate.

We all know you can't attach the Cat-5 TP to this booking any more since it has changed to Cat-6.

I interpret the Lurker's comment to mean that a TP cannot be attached to a PA booking. Full stop! It clearly stated that a TP can only be applied to a new reservation at the time of booking.

This would also apply to any PA bookings made before a category change. For example, you have a PA reservation for a Cat-5 property that is now a Cat-6 and a Cat-5 TP, you will not be able to attach your TP to the PA reservation. Since, accordingly, you can only attach a TP to a reservation when making the booking, if space is no longet available, you are out of luck. Similarly, if space is available, you would not be able to attach your Cat-5 TP since the property is now a Cat-6. Again, you are out of luck.

The key here, from the Lurker's reply, is that you cannot attach a TP to an existing reservation.

James

RedSun Sep 4, 2019 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun (Post 31491288)
I interpret the Lurker's comment to mean that a TP cannot be attached to a PA booking. Full stop! It clearly stated that a TP can only be applied to a new reservation at the time of booking.

This would also apply to any PA bookings made before a category change. For example, you have a PA reservation for a Cat-5 property that is now a Cat-6 and a Cat-5 TP, you will not be able to attach your TP to the PA reservation. Since, accordingly, you can only attach a TP to a reservation when making the booking, if space is no longet available, you are out of luck. Similarly, if space is available, you would not be able to attach your Cat-5 TP since the property is now a Cat-6. Again, you are out of luck.

The key here, from the Lurker's reply, is that you cannot attach a TP to an existing reservation.

James

I totally agree with you. This would cause problem since Marriott award availability sometimes is not working properly. It can change many times during the same. When I pick up the phone to ask the Marriott to make a new booking and attach my TP, it may not be available at that moment, due to its system issues.

joeags Sep 4, 2019 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun (Post 31491288)

James

I disagree with your ending interpretation. You can't use a TP to attach to a reservation that is not currently at the same level as your TP. You could have made a reservation in March before the category change, say rose from a category 4 to a 5. If you now have a cat 5 certificate, you can attach it. If you have a cat 4 certificate, you cannot. For the past few years, Marriott would pay for a points advance booking by taking the current point cost and refunding points to equal the lower category. As they can't attach a lower category certificate without reissuing at a higher category, whether a TP or a CC certificate, those certificates can't be used.

I had a reservation made in February that I just last week attached a certificate to, although it never changed category. That goes completely against not being able to attach a certificate unless it is a new booking.

If you meant can't attach to only a points advance booking, then sorry for the misinterpretation!

RedSun Sep 4, 2019 9:18 pm

I think we all agree that, the TP can't be attached to a prior booking whose point category has increased.

The question now is if we can attach the TP to a prior booking that is at the correct TP level. I interpret "Lurker" comment that, the TP can't be attached to a prior booking regardless the point level. IMO, this is a little extreme. The only benefits we get is the reward space we booked.

I was able to attach the TP to an existing booking at the same category level. That was about 3 months ago. I do not know if this has changed, just as what "Lurker" stated.