Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Travel Packages [** Discontinued Jan 19, 2022 **]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
FAQ from Jan 19/22 email from Marriott:

Can I Still Order Travel Package Awards?

Information on Marriott Bonvoy® Travel Packages
No. Due to varying factors such as low volume in demand, we are no longer selling Travel Package Awards as of January 19, 2022.

Q: What happens to the Travel Package Award I already have in my Account?

If you have a Travel Package Award attached to an existing Reservation, rest assured, we will be honoring your stay and no additional action is required.

Please Note:
The airline miles portion of the Travel Package Award was deposited to you at the time of purchase of the Travel Package Award and, therefore, will not be refunded.

Q: What happens if I need to modify or cancel my Travel Package Award redemption Reservation after March 2, 2022?

If you modify or cancel a Redemption Reservation that has a Travel Package Award attached to it after March 2, 2022, you must contact Member Support to cancel the Travel Package Award, after which you will receive a full Marriott Bonvoy® Point refund for the Hotel portion of the Award. Please visit https://www.marriott.com/help/loyalt...mer-support.mi to find the appropriate Member Support phone number based on your geographic location.

Q: How many Points will I be refunded?

Members will receive a full Marriott Bonvoy® Points refund for the Hotel portion of the Travel Package Award. The refund will be based on the current Points redemption category levels and will equal the sum of the Peak Points Redemption Rate per each Night of the Travel Package Award, at the highest category for which the Award was eligible. The airline miles portion of the Travel Package Award was deposited to you at the time of purchase of the Travel Package Award and, therefore, will not be refunded.

Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages [** Discontinued Jan 19, 2022 **]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2020, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by s879
Anyone had any luck with getting the 31st January expiry extended? Its already been extended once and then Marriott extended it to 31st January for everyone.
Any updates from anyone?
I know there is post 618, but that seemed to be a special situation. I have no bookings and have been waiting (probably for nothing).
Old Sep 8, 2020, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by dominick
Any updates from anyone?
I know there is post 618, but that seemed to be a special situation. I have no bookings and have been waiting (probably for nothing).
I sent an email and the answer was a firm no.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 5:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by soy
Finally gave up the battle and recently redeemed my last TP for a staycation in Cape Cod. Was originally due to go to Costa Rica at Thanksgiving. However I do not see travel to Costa Rica being realistic this year, and cannot move the cert due to a rise to CAT6 for my hotel. Not fully confident that Marriott will do the right thing and extend again, and even if they do, I was doubtful I could make it work for next year.

Assuming we do not get back closer to normal for another 10-12 months, I will be hard pressed to use up all my various free night certs by end 2021.

In the end I did pretty ok out of the TP's (mostly redeemed in Asia), and while I miss the value, it was becoming increasingly difficult to work with all the various limitations.

RIP - Marriott TPs
I also have my winter break booked in Costa Rica at the Cat 5 rate and the hotel is now a Cat 6. Also don't live in any of the states whose residents are allowed in yet. Not sure what my options would be if my state continues to stay blocked. I think my cert should be valid till 3/1/21 since I got an extension (and an upgrade to Cat 5) when I booked just before the Category change. I'll probably see where things are at till mid-Nov and cancel the trip around then. Hopefully we all get another extension. FWIW, I also have 2 x 35K certs of which one expires on 1/31/21.

Last edited by crazyhorse; Sep 14, 2020 at 9:30 am
Old Sep 12, 2020, 12:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Today I called up to detach my final TP from a booking I now can't make due to quarantine. It was an original TP2 (220k Bonvoys for old Cat1-5 7n + 50k airline miles). I asked the agent to detach and cancel the reservation to preserve the certificate. He said he'd done it and the cert would be back in my account in about 5 minutes. It has actually gone in as 45k Bonvoy points instead of the QP83 Cat1-4. I'm trying to decide if I'm happy with this.

The QP83 was originally attached to a booking at Marriott Hua Hin in a room for 4, but we had to cancel this due to Covid restrictions. This would have been great value. I then attached it to a stay for my wife that she had to make, but replacing a £200 cash booking. This was not really great value, but we were struggling to find a use for the cert before the 31 Jan 21 expiry date. Now my wife's trip has had to be cancelled. With no sign of any extensions to expiry dates, should I be happy with 45k Bonvoy with no expiry date of concern, or should I try to get the QP83 back and hope it can be extended again? Or should I be cheeky and ask for it back only if Marriott extend the vouchers one more time?

45k isn't much, but it's a better return than what I was previously facing.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by ankomonkey
Today I called up to detach my final TP from a booking I now can't make due to quarantine. It was an original TP2 (220k Bonvoys for old Cat1-5 7n + 50k airline miles). I asked the agent to detach and cancel the reservation to preserve the certificate. He said he'd done it and the cert would be back in my account in about 5 minutes. It has actually gone in as 45k Bonvoy points instead of the QP83 Cat1-4. I'm trying to decide if I'm happy with this.

The QP83 was originally attached to a booking at Marriott Hua Hin in a room for 4, but we had to cancel this due to Covid restrictions. This would have been great value. I then attached it to a stay for my wife that she had to make, but replacing a £200 cash booking. This was not really great value, but we were struggling to find a use for the cert before the 31 Jan 21 expiry date. Now my wife's trip has had to be cancelled. With no sign of any extensions to expiry dates, should I be happy with 45k Bonvoy with no expiry date of concern, or should I try to get the QP83 back and hope it can be extended again? Or should I be cheeky and ask for it back only if Marriott extend the vouchers one more time?

I would call back and get another certificate, and ideally a newly ordered certificate will have a year validity.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 9:55 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by ankomonkey

This could take many hours of frustrating phone calls. 45k = $300, so is that worth it for you. what value do you assign to your time?

For me, I now have so many nights/points that need to be used in 2021, the last thing I need is a 7 night TP, so decided to cash out now at what I consider a substandard rate.
I think we have 12-18 months to go with Covid, so even if they extend by 12 month, I would still be challenged to use it as efficiently as I would like
SPN Lifer and Happy like this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by s879
Anyone had any luck with getting the 31st January expiry extended? Its already been extended once and then Marriott extended it to 31st January for everyone.
Originally Posted by dominick
Any updates from anyone?
nobody will get any answers from marriott until the very last minute. anything you hear from the CSRs about not extending TPs is probably correct, only for now. things are fluid. based on everything happening within the US, my guess is that marriott will extend the TPs. the stupid date of 1/31/21 never made sense when they extended the elite status to 2022. think about how stupid it would have been if they only extended the status until 2/28/21. yet they expect people to use the TP in the middle of a travel meltdown. typical bonvoy idiots.

if you remember what happened when the pandemic first nuked the industry, hilton and hyatt came out strong with their 2022 extensions. then marriot took its sweet time to copy everyone like its hot mess cluster circus show partner UA.

im just going to wait and see.
ankomonkey likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 2:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I think now the expectation for those TPs is getting lower and lower....
Old Sep 14, 2020, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by GundamWing01
nobody will get any answers from marriott until the very last minute. anything you hear from the CSRs about not extending TPs is probably correct, only for now. things are fluid. based on everything happening within the US, my guess is that marriott will extend the TPs. the stupid date of 1/31/21 never made sense when they extended the elite status to 2022. think about how stupid it would have been if they only extended the status until 2/28/21. yet they expect people to use the TP in the middle of a travel meltdown. typical bonvoy idiots.

if you remember what happened when the pandemic first nuked the industry, hilton and hyatt came out strong with their 2022 extensions. then marriot took its sweet time to copy everyone like its hot mess cluster circus show partner UA.

i too think they’ll extend them, or so I am rolling the dice on them hopefully doing so, otherwise I’ll have a few to burn at short notice in Jan ‘21.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 1:44 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
I have called to make a booking using 7-night category 1-4 cert (converted from old 1-5 cert). The booking initially showing"This Reservation has e-certificate(s)", however after I hung up and refresh the booking, it switched to "Deduct your points now for your stay, or we’ll automatically take care of this for you 15 days prior to your arrival.". Contacted the hotel first, was told there isn't a certificate attached to the reservation. Called Bonvoy multiple times and even pmed lurker, no one can get it fixed, very frustrating.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by pazza2000
i too think they’ll extend them, or so I am rolling the dice on them hopefully doing so, otherwise I’ll have a few to burn at short notice in Jan ‘21.
yea. i have a lot to burn, so im going to wait until NOV then unload over several months. if marriott extends TP, im going to rebook.

Originally Posted by rdchen
I have called to make a booking using 7-night category 1-4 cert (converted from old 1-5 cert). The booking initially showing"This Reservation has e-certificate(s)", however after I hung up and refresh the booking, it switched to "Deduct your points now for your stay, or we’ll automatically take care of this for you 15 days prior to your arrival.". Contacted the hotel first, was told there isn't a certificate attached to the reservation. Called Bonvoy multiple times and even pmed lurker, no one can get it fixed, very frustrating.
you need to HUCA. keep trying to get the most senior agent with the loyalty care team. cancel your reservation and rebook everything. keep going thru that cycle until it sticks correctly.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 2:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Originally Posted by rdchen
I have called to make a booking using 7-night category 1-4 cert (converted from old 1-5 cert). The booking initially showing"This Reservation has e-certificate(s)", however after I hung up and refresh the booking, it switched to "Deduct your points now for your stay, or we’ll automatically take care of this for you 15 days prior to your arrival.".
Same thing happened to me. 'Loyalty' CS insisted this is normal nowadays - it looks like Points Advance! I had to cancel the stay so no idea if this leads to a successful stay!
Old Sep 24, 2020, 5:33 pm

I hope so but I doubt, I think not too many people have old 7 nights certificate (till 1/31/21 ) left, I was planning call in Oct now I will wait, worst case is they give me 45K points back I guess.

Originally Posted by GundamWing01

Old Sep 24, 2020, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by ecgz88
I hope so but I doubt, I think not too many people have old 7 nights certificate (till 1/31/21 ) left, I was planning call in Oct now I will wait, worst case is they give me 45K points back I guess.
I believe that’s been changed to 5K pts. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl
I believe that’s been changed to 5K pts. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
I managed to get 45k back for a cancelled legacy-TP booking (see #634), so their systems can still give it somehow! I wonder if even their IT department know how/why!
margarita girl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.