Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Water Issues at a Hotel (General Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Water Issues at a Hotel (General Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2019, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
If you don't get what you paid for, the portion of the cost should be refunded in one way or another. You pay for heat/air conditioning, a nice bed, a hot shower, towels, etc.

A $150 voucher credit won't sting a mult-billion dollar company.
But, isn't going to happen.
Old May 18, 2019, 5:20 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by Often1
But, isn't going to happen.
Then Marriott is mismanaged. I'd rather please a frequent guest with $150 for their trouble than give up thousands if they decide to never use my brand again.
Old May 18, 2019, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
..........give up thousands if they decide to never use my brand again.
Isn't gonna happen, either.
Old May 19, 2019, 1:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
I think most of us would go for the ‘quick rinse’ option rather than ‘self-induced hypothermia’ when faced with a hot water failure like this ....
That was actually my first thought!

The comp issue I'll leave to others. As most have noted, it can vary.

Cheers.
Old May 19, 2019, 4:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
It has happened to me several times over the years. Both Westin and Renaissance. Every time I got one nights stay worth of points without asking for compensation.

I agree about a hot shower being as fundamental to the room as a clean bed.

Alrhough I didn’t have to ask to get the points, I was a frequent stayer at these places.
Old May 19, 2019, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I had a 5 night stay at Westin Lagunamar Cancun a few years ago. The cold water tap in the shower dispensed hot water. The hot water tap dispensed scalding water. Hotel was sold out so they could not assign us to a new room. Repeated attempts by the hotel to fix the problem were only successful on the 4th day. (No idea how anyone ever used that room before.) I was refunded 20K of the 40K SPG points I used to pay for the room.
Old May 19, 2019, 5:28 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by timfountain
collective wisdom
BTW, in situations where there’s a localised HW outage in the room and it’s just not an option to miss your shower and time is limited, collective wisdom says a quick/pragmatic fix is to go straight down to the health club/pool and use their showers instead. @:-)

Originally Posted by sbrower
I would, in many instances, expect not to be charged for my hotel night if there wasn't hot water for my shower.
Bit punchy though for a guest to expect the whole night to be comped when they haven’t bothered to report the issue and given the hotel the opportunity to investigate, fix or workaround the problem.
writerguyfl likes this.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; May 19, 2019 at 6:43 am
Old May 19, 2019, 7:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Then Marriott is mismanaged. I'd rather please a frequent guest with $150 for their trouble than give up thousands if they decide to never use my brand again.
It still is not going to happen. Not at any of the major mid-market chains.
Old May 19, 2019, 2:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Bit punchy though for a guest to expect the whole night to be comped when they haven’t bothered to report the issue and given the hotel the opportunity to investigate, fix or workaround the problem.
I am not saying that anyone needs to agree with me. But I don't leave a lot of time when I am ready to take my shower and go (often to court leaving at 8am). If the shower isn't hot I didn't get what I expected.
Old May 19, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: Delta PM, AA Gold, United Silver, SW A List, Bonvoy Titanium
I had a similar problem at the Courtyard in downtown Phoenix several months ago. I called after the stay and got 35,000 points, equivalent to the going rate for the hotel (I paid cash on corporate rate). I'm Titanium, if it matters.

In my situation, it was not just no hot water...no water at all. Just a bare trickle enough to brush my teeth and wash my face. I tried to call down to report it, but I also then learned that the phone in my room didn't work. As I was leaving for the day, I let the front desk know and got a "Yeah, it is the whole hotel. Sorry." No real concern for the fact that no one could shower...and no indication of when it would be corrected. It did get fixed that night, but there was never any communication/real apology from the hotel management about the situation. An email/note under the door would have gone a long way. I also mentioned it at check out and got no reaction. I finally called Marriott CS when I got home. The water thing happens, but the communication was the tipping point. As a contrast, the Westin Lake Mary/Orlando North was going to shut water down for a couple of hours overnight last week and notified all guests.
Old May 19, 2019, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by timfountain
I was on a tight timeline. 7:00 departure and a 5:00 alarm with me rolling out of bed around 5:20. I dind't have the time to call down, but did mention it when I was checking out at around 5:50.
I once worked at a hotel where the pilot light would go out a couple of times each year. Our engineering staff checked it at the start of every shift. But between those scheduled checks, we relied on guests (and employees in the kitchen) to report the problem.

I have no clue how the Marriott in Burbank heats their water. But, where I worked it only took 10-15 minutes between the time of reporting until hot water returned to the guest rooms. I get that people are sometimes rushed. Honestly, it's a probably a 45 second phone call.
Old May 20, 2019, 6:31 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
I once had this water coming out of the bathroom faucet at a holiday inn. Got moved, new room had same issue. Complained to desk, complained to IHG, got nothing. Front desk would not even give me a bottle of water. Thanks IHG!
Old May 20, 2019, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I had a 5 night stay at Westin Lagunamar Cancun a few years ago. The cold water tap in the shower dispensed hot water. The hot water tap dispensed scalding water.
That can happen in ultra hot climates. Try taking a shower at Al Mourjan in July!

Originally Posted by DCAFly
I once had this water coming out of the bathroom faucet at a holiday inn. Got moved, new room had same issue. Complained to desk, complained to IHG, got nothing. Front desk would not even give me a bottle of water. Thanks IHG!
Did the water clear up after sitting for a few minutes? It already looks slightly clearer nearer the bottom than the top. That happens from time to time. It's tiny gas bubbles in the water.
margarita girl likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by DCAFly
https://water.usgs.gov/edu/qa-chemical-cloudy.html

It's likely just air.
TechnoTourist likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
ok, but I'm still not drinking that water...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.