Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Water Issues at a Hotel (General Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Water Issues at a Hotel (General Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2022, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wouldn't want to stay in that room even if the hot water were working.
wrp96 and babyg_wc like this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Those pics look pretty awful. What did the reviews on FT, Trip Advisor or Marriott say?
The reviews were hit and miss, but there were enough warnings that should have made me cancel before arriving. Sadly I took a risk and have paid the price, to be honest unless I want to spend 1000usd plus per night there doesn't seem to be many options in Barbados.

​​​​​​​We were finally offered a different room but the fixtures were of equally horrendous quality. They also managed to fix the issue after. 36 hours. I don't understand how this hotel gets repeat business to be honest, I think it's the fact the guests are more interested in the all inclusive aspect of the stay Vs the hard product. Having stayed at some sensational Marriott properties recently I wasn't prepared for such disappointmwnt.

I should mention that the primary reason for booking was this was points booking and barbados prices are silly money for what you get.

Truly a mistake on my part - should trust the reviews/research and walk away from somewhere where there's the potential for a holiday to be ruined by such low quality accommodation.

Marriott should be ashamed for buying these properties in Barbados and then doing the bare minimum on the upkeep/refurbs.

I'll post a review when I check out.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by HaleiwaFlyer
I vote for a different hotel, if rooms are available. They gave you two chances, and both times, management has failed the customer's expectations. No need to give them more of your hard earned vacation time.
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'd be gone already.
Originally Posted by Doppy
I wouldn't want to stay in that room even if the hot water were working.
Originally Posted by MarkCron
Your wife is correct. Find a new place to stay. Ask GM to comp one or both nights.
​​​​​​
Agreed, thou there is nothing much around under 600!700usd, which don't look much better, we are looking at options including flying (it's 45mins away) to canouan, where they seems to be highly quality/better value options.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 8:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by babyg_wc
​​​​​​
Agreed, thou there is nothing much around under 600!700usd, which don't look much better, we are looking at options including flying (it's 45mins away) to canouan, where they seems to be highly quality/better value options.
Ouch. Good luck - hope the situation improves!
babyg_wc likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 12:28 pm

So we are back from our Barbados holiday. Long story short the hotel are going to refund half of the points used on the booking, obviously we would have preferred an issue free stay but we are happy enough with what the hotel finally came back with. I have also chalked this one up to experience - basically trust the reviews and when they are hit and miss, don't focus/pray/hope on the good ones.

PS we ended up staying at the Hilton Barbados, originally I was hoping to get to Canouan, but getting to/from Canouan island proved to tricky and expensive. That said we we pleasantly surprised with the Hilton. Whilst its a massive/ugly building, internally they have been refurbishing, and they also look after Hilton Diamonds (at least in our case), we were upgraded to a very nice corner room/suite that had been refurbished and was very stylish with dual aspect, the staff and service was fantastic throughout our stay too.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Now that you’ve checked out, perhaps you can identify the property to help fellow FTers. If there isn’t a master thread already for that property, maybe you can ask the mods to change the title so this becomes that property’s master thread.
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by babyg_wc
Marriott should be ashamed for buying these properties in Barbados and then doing the bare minimum on the upkeep/refurbs....
It's unlikely that Marriott owns the properties. Most hotel chains don't own many (or even any) of the properties that are branded with their name. (And occasionally, a property owned by one chain will have a competitor's brand name. )
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 8:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
It's unlikely that Marriott owns the properties. Most hotel chains don't own many (or even any) of the properties that are branded with their name. (And occasionally, a property owned by one chain will have a competitor's brand name. )
Actually, unless they were flipped quickly, Marriott might own the property in question.
http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...etwork-of.html
Old Mar 6, 2022, 11:54 pm

FWIW, the two times where there were hot water issues in my 10+ years of being elite (one in Malaysia, another in Italy) I was refunded the full cost of the entirety of my stay (both two nighters IIRC). I think this is fair given how fundamental the shower is to a hotel stay (minimum standard).
Old Mar 7, 2022, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by The Road Goes On Forever
Actually, unless they were flipped quickly, Marriott might own the property in question.
http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...etwork-of.html
Yes, you are right; as you say, "unless they were flipped quickly." Which they probably were not.

Originally Posted by Washington Business Journal
....“In keeping with Marriott's asset-light strategy, over time, Marriott also intends to market the Elegant hotels for sale subject to long-term management agreements under which Marriott would continue to manage the hotels,” the release states....

And although the article also says that "Marriott plans renovations to the Barbados portfolio once the deal closes," apparently that hasn't happened yet (or not completed).
Old Mar 14, 2022, 9:52 am

Marriott hotel owner refuses to fix ongoing hot water issues

I work at a Marriott property and we have only one working water heater, other two hasn’t been working for 1 1/2 years. Aimbridge refuses to fix. We run out of hot water by 7 am. Our property is severely neglected. We have no working a/c or heat in dining area and lobby. We have 25 rooms unable to fill due to broken a/c heat units. We can’t even get a new vacuum. Of course our front desk associates get cussed out and verbally abused constantly due to these issues. Aimbridge still says to sell out all working rooms. All employees are very frustrated.
ohmark, Tanic and Jaimito Cartero like this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 1:20 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by Clhawks
I work at a Marriott property and we have only one working water heater, other two hasn’t been working for 1 1/2 years. Aimbridge refuses to fix. We run out of hot water by 7 am. Our property is severely neglected. We have no working a/c or heat in dining area and lobby. We have 25 rooms unable to fill due to broken a/c heat units. We can’t even get a new vacuum. Of course our front desk associates get cussed out and verbally abused constantly due to these issues. Aimbridge still says to sell out all working rooms. All employees are very frustrated.
Would be nice to know where so we can avoid it.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 2:25 pm

Programs: BAEC - back to lowly blue. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum
I googled Aimbridge Marriott hotels -- looks like they are in Indianapolis?
KRSW likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by JayeJ
I googled Aimbridge Marriott hotels -- looks like they are in Indianapolis?
Looks like they're A LOT bigger than just Indianapolis: https://www.hospitalityonline.com/ai...lity/locations

I'm comparing their list of hotels vs. ones I've stayed at. There were only two of their properties I've stayed at and I wouldn't stay at those two particular properties again. Those two also happen to have some of the lowest ratings on Marriott's site for that area...which kind of lends credibility to Clhawks post.
SPN Lifer and JayeJ like this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by TXJeepGuy
Would be nice to know where so we can avoid it.
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott, NC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.