Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Water Issues at a Hotel (General Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Water Issues at a Hotel (General Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2019, 1:29 pm

Exclamation

Originally Posted by timfountain
I'm not normally a compensation kind of guy but I had a miserable end to my stay at the Marriott Burbank today (5/17). When I went to have a shower this morning, I was greeted to freezing cold water in the hot water faucet, and exactly the same in the shower. Not taking a shower was not an option, so I had the most miserable shower, complete with uncontrollable shivering and chattering teeth, it really was that cold! On check out I mentioned the issue and was greeted by a really indifferent front office staff who said something to the effect that "yeah, a few people have mentioned that as an issue". What does the collective wisdom of the group think is an appropriate ask as compensation?

Thanks!
Hi Tim, I was also staying in Marriott Burbank on 5/17, had the same experience (no hot water), checked out at the same time, and got the same response from the front office staff!
Old Oct 19, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: LTP, PP
No water happened to me once at a HOU hobby airport Marriott. Having an early flight just to home and no one to impress, I sucked it up for a few minutes. I too got the "oh well, no big deal, its the entire hotel" attitude from the front desk when I mentioned it while rushing past at 6 AM. Catering to the early airport crowd, I couldn't be the first to mention it. Never complain or pursued further.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 8:33 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
How Would You Handle This (hot water issues)

Staying at the Marriott Indianapolis Downtown during a large convention and for the second straight day there are hot water issues on the upper floors (floors 14-19 per front desk).
For two mornings the shower was lukewarn to cool. I asked the front desk this morning what was going on with the hot water and they explained there was an issue and "engineering was working on it" and gave me 5000 points without me asking for any compensation. Cool I move along and really isn't all that upset as a cool/lukewarm shower isn't going to ruin my day.

Turns out at dinner tonight three of my colleagues were talking about the water issue and all three mentioned how the front desk gave them 45000 points (15000 for each night they are there with tonight being the 3rd night so 2 mornings for all of us) for the hot water issue and one even got a nice basket left in their room of goodies (wine, cheese, fruit, crackers). We are all the same status (LTTE).

Am I wrong for being a little miffed they were given so much more for the same issue?

Last edited by apodo77; Feb 11, 2020 at 11:49 am
Old Feb 9, 2020, 10:59 pm

No, I'd be miffed, too.

It's complete speculation, but I'd guess the difference were because you spoke to different people. If this hotel doesn't have a set compensation policy for this incident, you may get different offers from different staff members.

If I were in your shoes, I'd stop by the Front Desk and inquire about the difference in compensation. It's a legitimate question and I would imagine that you'll get more points without argument.
EricH and paolo64 like this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Personally, I would simply do a chargeback with the dates that had the hot water issues.

I did it once with a non-Marriott hotel outside the U.S. It was successful.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 12:49 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by garykung
Personally, I would simply do a chargeback with the dates that had the hot water issues.

Probably try to get them comped by management before going this route, but I agree that I would never pay a single penny for a night where there was no hot water. Being able to shower is a critical part of what I'm paying for when staying at a hotel. If that isn't provided then the hotel has failed to render the services and needs to either comp the nights or I'd file a chargeback.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Personally, I would simply do a chargeback with the dates that had the hot water issues.I did it once with a non-Marriott hotel outside the U.S. It was successful.
If OP is there for a convention, chances are his room is being paid by his employer. So how does a charge back help? Submitting a hotel expense report after being reimbursed would be considered fraud.

OP, go ask for more points.
writerguyfl, JBord and paolo64 like this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 6:10 am

Reflects poorly on management: an ongoing hot water issue ( the single thing most likely to turn sane guests feral), and yet they haven’t instructed staff to give a set , consistent compensation package.
Yes, go back and get more points...
Old Feb 10, 2020, 6:40 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by paolo64
Reflects poorly on management: an ongoing hot water issue ( the single thing most likely to turn sane guests feral), and yet they haven’t instructed staff to give a set , consistent compensation package.
Yes, go back and get more points...
While compensation should happen regardless, the real management failure here is no hot water for two days with no alternative offered to guests. Did they offer to move the OP to the hotel next door, down the street, etc. at their cost? Did they offer any remedy at all? It's one thing if there's a problem for a few hours, even if it's in the morning when most people shower, but it's quite another to have it go on for days. Was there even a warning before (if known) or at check in to the OP?
Old Feb 10, 2020, 7:07 am

going nuclear when you can just talk to the front desk / manager is a terrible idea. i would expect to be black listed by any hotel (or even chain) against which i initiate a chargeback.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:18 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by JBord
While compensation should happen regardless, the real management failure here is no hot water for two days with no alternative offered to guests. Did they offer to move the OP to the hotel next door, down the street, etc. at their cost? Did they offer any remedy at all? It's one thing if there's a problem for a few hours, even if it's in the morning when most people shower, but it's quite another to have it go on for days. Was there even a warning before (if known) or at check in to the OP?
Unfortunately there weren't any options in the immediate downtown area so not much the hotel could have done with that. The water wasn't freezing cold but it wasn't pleasant either.
Same issue this morning for the 3rd morning in a row and after speaking to the front desk it appearted to be isolated to the top 2 floors only this morning (18 and 19 and I am on 18).
I don't know why if it was a known issue they wouldn't be proactive and alert the guests via letter in the room and apologize.

In regards to compensation I spoke to someone at the fornt desk this morning and they gave me 15000 points for each night and comped my meal in the hotel restaurant last night. All in all that works for me and heading home to warm FL this evening.

Last edited by apodo77; Feb 11, 2020 at 6:47 am
Old Feb 11, 2020, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by apodo77
Staying at the Marriott Indianapolis Downtownduringr a large convention and for the second straight day there are hot water issues on the upper floors (floors 14-19 per front desk).
For two mornings the shower was lukewarn to cool. I asked the front desk this morning what was going on with the hot water and they explained there was an issue and "engineering was working on it" and gave me 5000 points without me asking for any compensation.
What a deal! But I wonder if Marriott is saving too much energy and skimping on the hot water. I stayed two nights at the Spring Hill Suites in Temecula and had a hot water problem. I could eventually get hot water running in the shower if I left it running for a full five minutes before hoppng in. Same with the sinks. I mentioned it to the front desk and they said they're checking on it. No offer for comensation, though, but I didn't ask.

And then, the next week I was staying in the Towne Place Suites in Manhattan Beach and had the same problem. Also no offer of compensation.

I did mention the hot water in the obligatory e-mail survey and got a "we're sorry, we're looking into it" from one of the properties, but not the other. Maybe they think they're saving water by making people take really quick showers???
Old Feb 11, 2020, 6:04 am

Programs: AA, Marriott, Hilton, Radisson
I have found the front desk people at Marriott properties to be reasonable to work with. Occasionally, I have to negotiate. The only time I ever had to go over someone's head was at a SpringHill Suites in Tulsa. There was an issue with the heating/AC unit. SpringHill has a satisfaction guaranteed or your money back offer. The manager agreed that 10,000 points was better than refunding the room price. I have also found their national customer service people to be very helpful if you are nice and understanding of the crap they face on a daily basis. As much as people complain about Marriott (and it seems that there are definitely some legitimate complaints) my experience has been very good overall with them. I am TE and LTG. I much prefer Marriott's rewards to Hilton's (which is my company's preferred brand).
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 10:19 am

Programs: SE100K, Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive
Currently at the Westin Las Vegas and shower yesterday was luke warm, today there is no hot water. Hotel offered free breakfast but I declined and have asked for sixty thousand points compensation as according to the point chart the hotel is thirty thousand per night, let’s see what happens.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 11:07 am

Programs: AA, Marriott, Hilton, Radisson
Originally Posted by MME2YYZ
Currently at the Westin Las Vegas and shower yesterday was luke warm, today there is no hot water. Hotel offered free breakfast but I declined and have asked for sixty thousand points compensation as according to the point chart the hotel is thirty thousand per night, let’s see what happens.
You asked for the equivalent of two free nights for lukewarm water? Or is this sarcasm?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.