Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Water Issues at a Hotel (General Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Water Issues at a Hotel (General Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2022, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by PTahCha
Yes - there was a memo sent out to all hotels and elite members as part of their sustainability practices, so you'll take shorter showers.
Does that mean that the hotels charging the sustainability fee allow actual hot water? Or do we pay extra for lukewarm..?
volabam likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 1:32 pm

Programs: Miles and More + student overseas
give them options, with temperate water

Luke warm
Old Jan 16, 2022, 1:37 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
If I stayed at different properties of a hotel chain over several weeks and found that none of them had hot water, I think I'd stop staying at that chain.
FMDXR, wrp96, banana0692 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Meanwhile here I am finishing up a stay at a Renaissance where the water temperature was scalding hot. Faucet on cold setting, water is steaming. Shower handle halfway, water is steaming in the shower. I could probably cook instant noodles with how hot the water is here.
zip10001 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Polytonic
Meanwhile here I am finishing up a stay at a Renaissance where the water temperature was scalding hot. Faucet on cold setting, water is steaming. Shower handle halfway, water is steaming in the shower. I could probably cook instant noodles with how hot the water is here.
Polytonic soup! Yum!

David
wrp96, Antarius, zip10001 and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PaulSEA1
I spent the last 30 days between various Marriott properties in the USA. Courtyard, Marriott, Residence Inn, Springhill Suites. All had only warm water, never hot. Have Marriott turned down the water temperature everywhere as a new policy? Or do the ultra low flow shower heads just cool the water too fast before it hits me?
winter - pipes are colder in general - my shower at home feels colder on the very same max temp setting
if i were to stay for an extended period facing such issue i'd look into opening the regulator and adjusting the cartridge - a small hex key is all you usually need for that marriott dyi - can put nonrestricted showerhead for duration of stay while at it..
Old Jan 16, 2022, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by azepine00
winter - pipes are colder in general - my shower at home feels colder on the very same max temp setting
if i were to stay for an extended period facing such issue i'd look into opening the regulator and adjusting the cartridge - a small hex key is all you usually need for that marriott dyi - can put nonrestricted showerhead for duration of stay while at it..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDxQ5hD14ts
Isn’t it more likely that they turned the boiler temp down, rather than adjusting each shower?
Old Jan 16, 2022, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Isn’t it more likely that they turned the boiler temp down, rather than adjusting each shower?
entirely possible but i doubt you can convince them to adjust boiler temp back up - my post carries some humor but in theory you can likely make that adjustment with a simple tool...
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 2:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by azepine00
In MN, I notice that cold water is colder during winter and hot water takes longer to get hot when it's cold outside. OTOH, I've been in very hot places where the tap cold water feels lukewarm.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 3:23 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
If I stayed at different properties of a hotel chain over several weeks and found that none of them had hot water, I think I'd stop staying at that chain.
And if all the hotels chains had lower temperature I would stop staying in hotels !

Did anyone actually ask the hotel ?

Last edited by BRITINJAPAN4; Jan 18, 2022 at 12:29 am
Old Jan 16, 2022, 4:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
We had some bathroom renovations done last year and the plumber said our HWH was set too high, that it had to be lower due to (city?state?county?) mandates. We tried the warm water for a few days, hated it, and had him turn it back up, but with the provision that we stated it was our personal decision and he advised us not to. It does get very hot when left in the highest position. Maybe hotels are afraid of liability from scalded customers?
Old Jan 16, 2022, 4:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond
FWIW, each chain does have temperature guidelines that a property's hot water boilers should be set at. Ultimately it's up to the GM/Head Engineer what the settings are at but during a QA audit this type of thing is not looked at. IME, guests will ask to have the temperature turned up and usually that request is ignored because then you have other guests who will then complain about excessive heat. Anywhere I've worked, the temp is always kept on the low end of the acceptable operating range.
GUWonder, SPN Lifer and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 5:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
120F is generally the recommended "safe" water temperature to prevent scalding, and is required by code in a lot of places. It wouldn't surprise me if hotel temps were more regulated either by local laws or insurance.
A huge number of hot water heaters are set at 140F though, so 120 may seem cold, particularly in colder weather if the pipes aren't well insulated. (As 120F is the temp at the source, not the shower head)
GUWonder, trooper and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 4:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Almost ever hotel I've stayed at in the last year have scald proof water heater adjustments. None are hot but perfectly fine to take a shower. Your body doesn't like hot water believe it or not. It beats being almost scald to death at some guesthouses I've stayed at. So, I'm all for regulated water temperatures.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 9:30 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In MN, I notice that cold water is colder during winter and hot water takes longer to get hot when it's cold outside. OTOH, I've been in very hot places where the tap cold water feels lukewarm.
At the 200+ year-old log cabin in the European mountains which I stayed in earlier this month, the cold water was colder than the cold water running in houses and hotels in much colder places in MN and WI. But the hot water in the European mountain log cabin was hotter than the hot water ever is at the homes and hotels in what are typically much colder MN and WI. It depends on how the water is heated (and set and even used), how the water is supplied and sits, and how the piping is for even what aren't the leads/mains.

I have rarely encountered a Marriott hotel where the warm water wasn't warm enough for me to shower comfortably enough, but on busy mornings in some places I've definitely wished that the hotels had set the temperature higher up so that I could set the room's water to be a bit warmer for longer than it was.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.