Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Water Issues at a Hotel (General Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Water Issues at a Hotel (General Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2020, 11:35 am

Mike Rivers : The only energy saved would be line losses from the recirculating pump running hot water continuously through the lines, which shouldn't be all that much. I'd suspect the pump broke rather than being turned off to save money.

A bigger offender in the Cheap Charlie category are the abysmal water-saving showerheads popping up in some of the properties now. (I'm looking at you, Fairfield Eugene, OR) I've owned hamsters which urinated with more gusto than that showerhead was putting out. Even the sink faucet put out more water. I mentioned it to the front desk, and they did send someone up to look at it, but their ultimate answer was that it was due to water conservation, blah, blah, blah. I picked up a pair of pliers while I was out and truly fixed the problem in <3 minutes.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 11:40 am

Programs: SE100K, Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive
As of right now there is no hot water and last night I wanted a hot shower as I had just finished working out, so no it isn’t sarcasm. I have to present at a conference today and have not been able to wash and style my hair which may not be a big deal to some on here but it’s impacting me. There also seems to be a HVAC issue as my room wont go above 66F
Old Feb 11, 2020, 12:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Why do you assume he'd charge his employer and get a refund from his credit card? Maybe the principle of it is charging it back and not charging the employer.

Originally Posted by margarita girl
If OP is there for a convention, chances are his room is being paid by his employer. So how does a charge back help? Submitting a hotel expense report after being reimbursed would be considered fraud.

OP, go ask for more points.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by WebTraveler
Why do you assume he'd charge his employer and get a refund from his credit card? Maybe the principle of it is charging it back and not charging the employer.
Call me selfish, but I would hate for my Fortune 500 company to be compensated for me having to take a cold shower!
Old Feb 11, 2020, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
The 15,000 points per night would exceed expectations for a hot water issue. Curious as to the price of the room for a night. 15,000 points would have a "cash" value of $150. No clue if the other individuals statements were in line with reality also. The front desk staff may promise 15,000 points but reality may be quite different. No harm with the "ask" for additional compensation. Be nice, no value in excessive compensation for an individual with no expectations of leaving the hotel happy.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL/Marriott/Hilton Gold
This seems to be a trend recently. I wonder if Marriott or SPG perhaps bought boilers in bulk some years ago to upgrade a bunch of properties, and now we're starting to see them reaching the end of their life. Or maybe this is about normal, and thanks to the grace of the internet in 2020 we just all have a place to complain about it and let confirmation bias run rampant.

Just adding in more correlation - 3 of the last 5 Bonvoy hotels I stayed at (Courtyard Seattle Pioneer Square, the Courtyard Chicago River North and the Renaissance Chicago) all had issues with hot water in the room. In one of the Chicago hotels I got a few thousand points for each night this continued. In the other two, the manager on duty in the mornings felt that as long as water was running, they weren't required to provide anything - "It would be far too expensive to just give everyone staying here compensation for something that's impacting everyone in the building equally, sir."

Last edited by popperj; Feb 11, 2020 at 6:28 pm
Old Feb 11, 2020, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by popperj
I wonder if Marriott or SPG perhaps bought boilers in bulk some years ago to upgrade a bunch of properties...
Seriously?

Neither Marriott nor SPG is in the business of buying boilers or (with limited exceptions) upgrading properties.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by popperj
Just adding in more correlation - 3 of the last 5 Bonvoy hotels I stayed at (Courtyard Seattle Pioneer Square, the Courtyard Chicago River North and the Renaissance Chicago) all had issues with hot water in the room.
All 3 properties you listed had interior refits/redecorations within the past two years, meaning they're not new properties. Given the travel sector economy over the past 30 or so years (when properties would be likely to spend money), boilers/chillers at these properties are probably reaching their end-of-life, and that's what you're seeing more than anything else.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 12:31 am

Programs: SE100K, Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive
update my ambassador gave me 35K points but a titanium colleague got either 15K or 50 K , once we confirm if it was 50K I’ll ask for some if it was 15k I’ll stay quiet
Old Jan 16, 2022, 10:15 am

Warm, not hot, water - New Marriott policy?

I spent the last 30 days between various Marriott properties in the USA. Courtyard, Marriott, Residence Inn, Springhill Suites. All had only warm water, never hot. Have Marriott turned down the water temperature everywhere as a new policy? Or do the ultra low flow shower heads just cool the water too fast before it hits me?
Old Jan 16, 2022, 10:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It’ll be up to the individual property owner what the boilers are set at.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 10:39 am

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
I really doubt that Marriott corporate would issue a mandate to reduce hot water temperatures in franchises properties.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 10:46 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Everyone loves to come up with Marriott conspiracies. This is one of the more far-fetched ones I've heard in a while.
fwfdan, DJ_Iceman, slowly and 11 others like this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The water temperature got turned down in my apartment building during the same 30 days.

And I've also noticed not-as-hot water at some other hotels in other brands in other programs.

So this has nothing to do with Marriott per se, and has to do with individual hotel owner's policies, and perhaps some industry trends.

There are a lot of consultants and possibly websites geared toward hotel owners, apartment building owners, etc, which may offer recommendations, and perhaps a popular one of those mentioned turning down the water temperature recently? (But presumably, if you're not working in one of those industries, you would never have seen it.)
SPN Lifer and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 11:56 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Yes - there was a memo sent out to all hotels and elite members as part of their sustainability practices, so you'll take shorter showers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.