Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2020, 9:40 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by LAX
For those that have the Brilliant card, how much is AF for an additional AU?
If I go to https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...voy-brilliant/ from my regular browser (even though I'm not logged in) it recognizes that I have the card, and notes "There is no annual fee for additional Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Cards."

(If you have the card already you can also always start the process to add a user and it'll tell you what the fees and options are.)

Originally Posted by LAX
Does the AU get a separate membership to PP? TIA.
You can find this info and also which other benefits are applicable to AUs by searching this page for "Additional Card Member"

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...card/36182-9-0

for Priority Pass, "Please note, Additional Card Members are not eligible for membership."
Old Apr 18, 2020, 9:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by LAX
For those that have the Brilliant card, how much is AF for an additional AU? Does the AU get a separate membership to PP? TIA.

LAX
$0
No
Old Apr 18, 2020, 11:18 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by Zorak
If I go to https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...voy-brilliant/ from my regular browser (even though I'm not logged in) it recognizes that I have the card, and notes "There is no annual fee for additional Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Cards."

(If you have the card already you can also always start the process to add a user and it'll tell you what the fees and options are.)

You can find this info and also which other benefits are applicable to AUs by searching this page for "Additional Card Member"

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...card/36182-9-0

for Priority Pass, "Please note, Additional Card Members are not eligible for membership."
Thanks. I am not a current card holder, but contemplating to apply for one. When I went to Amex's website and clicked on the links associated with the card, none mentioned anything about fees for AU.

LAX
Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:33 am

Hello All,

I upgraded late last year to Bonvoy luxury card from SPG personal as I had a targeted upgrade offer. Now with everything going on and minimal travel on the horizon I am contemplating whether I should go ahead and downgrade the card (it has to be down to the $95 card correct? there is no no-fee card option?). Amex still does pro-rated refunds for downgrades correct? One reason I was considering to keep it until renewal is to get the 50K free night certificate but from my reading it sounds like you'll only get the 50k free night certificate if you hold the luxury card 8-12 weeks after AF is billed (I was likely going to downgrade when AF hits).

Anyone care to share their thoughts on the best course of action?

Thanks!
Old Apr 30, 2020, 2:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; AS 100k; BA Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by neony77
Hello All,

I upgraded late last year to Bonvoy luxury card from SPG personal as I had a targeted upgrade offer. Now with everything going on and minimal travel on the horizon I am contemplating whether I should go ahead and downgrade the card (it has to be down to the $95 card correct? there is no no-fee card option?). Amex still does pro-rated refunds for downgrades correct? One reason I was considering to keep it until renewal is to get the 50K free night certificate but from my reading it sounds like you'll only get the 50k free night certificate if you hold the luxury card 8-12 weeks after AF is billed (I was likely going to downgrade when AF hits).

Thanks!
I'd personally not downgrade. The difference $95 vs. 150 is not that substantial and is covered by the better night certificate for the Brilliant card. Good luck with your decision.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 4:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select
Hello All,

Thanks!
I might be wrong, but I don't think there is an AMEX Marriott card to downgrade to. There is the $95 and no fee option with Chase, but that's a VISA.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 4:57 pm

There is a $95 per year Amex bonvoy that you can downgrade to. I still would keep the brilliant though as well.

I take that back, couldn't find the Amex Bonvoy, maybe the old SPG card... Maybe no downgrade option on Amex side?
Old Apr 30, 2020, 5:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select
Originally Posted by calculus1918
There is a $95 per year Amex bonvoy that you can downgrade to. I still would keep the brilliant though as wel
I take that back, couldn't find the Amex Bonvoy, maybe the old SPG card... Maybe no downgrade option on Amex side?
Yeah, I think they took that away, so the AMEX is the high end Marriott CC and Chase took the lower/no annual fee ones so there isn't overlap.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 5:50 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
There seems to be inconsistency about whether you have the option to downgrade to the $95 Marriott card from the Bonvoy Brilliant. While you can’t apply for the $95 fee card outright anymore, I was offered the option to downgrade, and others were as well.
Old May 1, 2020, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by hyedmd
I'd personally not downgrade. The difference $95 vs. 150 is not that substantial and is covered by the better night certificate for the Brilliant card. Good luck with your decision.
You mean the effective AF correct when you say $150? ($450 - $300 Marriott credit). I am not sure if I will even end up using the credit this year and I don't want to hold onto gift certificates (if that route still works). The only reason I am considering not to just close the card is because it is my oldest card. I have both CSR and Citi Prestige so have most of the other perks offered through them. I am also lifetime gold. I wouldn't have upgraded if I didn't get the targeted upgrade bonus offer last year.

Originally Posted by Adelphos
There seems to be inconsistency about whether you have the option to downgrade to the $95 Marriott card from the Bonvoy Brilliant. While you can’t apply for the $95 fee card outright anymore, I was offered the option to downgrade, and others were as well.
Anything special you needed to do to be given that option? Do the front line CSR able to do the downgrade or do I need to call the retention line?

Thanks!

Last edited by neony77; May 1, 2020 at 6:41 am
Old May 1, 2020, 7:10 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
You mean the effective AF correct when you say $150? ($450 - $300 Marriott credit).
Amex today announced that the $300 credit can be used against restaurant spend from June through August 2020.
Old May 1, 2020, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Amex today announced that the $300 credit can be used against restaurant spend from June through August 2020.
where did you get this news? Nothing in my inbox.

Got a 6x points in grocery spent till 7/31. If Chase Freedom was not 5% this quarter it could be interesting. Guess I will use the Marriott card for Grocery purchases in July then
Old May 1, 2020, 8:12 am

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by cfischer
where did you get this news? Nothing in my inbox.

Got a 6x points in grocery spent till 7/31. If Chase Freedom was not 5% this quarter it could be interesting. Guess I will use the Marriott card for Grocery purchases in July then
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ameri...nvoy_Brilliant
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old May 1, 2020, 9:30 am

This would've been helpful but my renewal is in September which is the time I guess my $300 credit will reset....
Old May 1, 2020, 10:29 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
direct AMEX link: https://about.americanexpress.com/pr...esses-get-most

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.