Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2020, 11:03 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Keep in mind not all Marriott properties sell gift cards.
Old Dec 25, 2020, 2:35 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
FWIW note mine was a downgrade from the Brilliant to the $95 Amex Bonvoy card, not a cancellation.
Did you have the regular Amex Bonvoy card prior to downgrade? Since it's not longer available to apply, I am curious if Brilliant card holders can downgrade to it. TIA.

LAX
Old Dec 25, 2020, 4:26 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I believe that Bonvoy Brilliant cardholders are allowed to downgrade.

I actually have all three American Express Bonvoy products, and am quite pleased. Each one offers me some value. I may be in the minority, but I hope Amex doesn't tweak the Bonvoy Brilliant too much, I find it an exceptional value, despite the limited earning potential.
Old Dec 25, 2020, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LAX
Did you have the regular Amex Bonvoy card prior to downgrade? Since it's not longer available to apply, I am curious if Brilliant card holders can downgrade to it. TIA.

LAX
What's no longer available to apply for?
Old Dec 25, 2020, 4:45 pm
LAX

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
What's no longer available to apply for?
The regular Amex Bonvoy. The Brilliant is still available.

LAX
Old Dec 25, 2020, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LAX
The regular Amex Bonvoy. The Brilliant is still available.

LAX
I was thinking about upgrading to Brilliant but not if I'm in danger of getting stuck with that card for the years to come.

Good to know! When did they pull the basic card? I wonder why.
Old Dec 25, 2020, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
My understanding is gift cards purchased at a marriott property will trigger a credit. Gift cards bought online are sold via third party.
gift card bought online will trigger the credit.
Old Dec 25, 2020, 5:05 pm
LAX

I was thinking about upgrading to Brilliant but not if I'm in danger of getting stuck with that card for the years to come.

Good to know! When did they pull the basic card? I wonder why.
I think it was part of the Marriott-SPG merger & migration to Bonvoy. Chase was given the "regular" CC portfolio & Amex the "upscale" portfolio. I supposed existing card portfolios can be kept (Chase's Ritz card & Amex's regular Bonvoy), but no longer accept new application. Based on what was reported earlier, if you have had the regular Bonvoy CC & upgrade to the Brilliant, you can definitely downgrade (unless the regular Bonvoy no longer exist at all at that time). However, I wasn't sure if I have never had the regular Bonvoy and the downgrade path is available.

LAX
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by LAX; Dec 25, 2020 at 5:12 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Dec 25, 2020, 11:20 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by LAX

LAX
I only have 1 Bonvoy Amex (previously the SPG AMEX) which I upgraded to Brilliant, then downgraded back to the Bonvoy Amex.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 12:48 am

Programs: Silver Level: DL, Non-Elite: AS, UA, AA, WN
Originally Posted by cfischer
Thanks, this is the answer I was looking for. Do both physical and egift cards count?
Also, as I doubt I'll be traveling at all in 2021 but want to build up my Marriot point balance with the card for later, is either more common to be resold on 3rd party sites than the other?
Old Dec 26, 2020, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I only have 1 Bonvoy Amex (previously the SPG AMEX) which I upgraded to Brilliant, then downgraded back to the Bonvoy Amex.
Question is how long that policy will last. Amex could suddenly decide it's no longer possible. Guess I'm sticking to my standard card for the time being.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
Are you sure that's correct? Because gc bought online don't trigger regular Amex offer credits either.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 4:13 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Are you sure that's correct? Because gc bought online don't trigger regular Amex offer credits either.
The gift card purchases trigger the credit and code at 6x. This was confirmed not long after the card came out. I used this as a roundabout way of "prepaying" a number of stays to hit my SUB on the Bonvoy business card as well, all coded at 6x.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 1:10 pm
LAX

Thanks. I have never had the Amex Bonvoy, but am interested in the Brilliant. It would be nice to have a downgrade path if I can't justify the higher AF at some point. I supposed I can always just cancel the card if there is no downgrade path.

LAX
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I am roughly 10000000000% certain, could be a few percentage points off. When I bought $5k GCs earlier this year with the 20% off promo it did trigger the $300 credit for me.
skywalkerLAX likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.