Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2020, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cfischer
I am roughly 10000000000% certain, could be a few percentage points off. When I bought $5k GCs earlier this year with the 20% off promo it did trigger the $300 credit for me.
Strange that these purchases code in a way that they trigger the $300 credit but not the Amex offers listed on each card.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 5:06 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Strange that these purchases code in a way that they trigger the $300 credit but not the Amex offers listed on each card.
The AMEX offers have stay requirements (sometimes only for certain brands, countries, etc) that can be validated with level 3 data and the fact that they're processed at the property.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 10:08 am
mjz

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, Bonvoy Platinum
I opened an AmEx Bonvoy card in October of 2020 when they were offering Bonvoy Platinum status for 2021 as perk:

Complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Platinum elite status

As long as you have the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Amex Card, you’ll receive automatic complimentary Platinum Marriott Bonvoy elite status for the year 2021.

When I called to inquire when the Platinum status would start, I was told after $75K in spend, I would be eligible for Platinum status. I was also told it could take up to 14 weeks for the status to update. Does this sound right?
Old Dec 28, 2020, 12:04 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by mjz
I opened an AmEx Bonvoy card in October of 2020 when they were offering Bonvoy Platinum status for 2021 as perk:

As long as you have the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Amex Card, you’ll receive automatic complimentary Platinum Marriott Bonvoy elite status for the year 2021.

When I called to inquire when the Platinum status would start, I was told after $75K in spend, I would be eligible for Platinum status. I was also told it could take up to 14 weeks for the status to update. Does this sound right?
IMO the most likely explanation is that the agent you spoke with (I'm guessing you meant you called AMEX, not Bonvoy? but either way) was just unaware that there was a promo for 2021.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 12:17 pm
mjz

Originally Posted by Zorak
IMO the most likely explanation is that the agent you spoke with (I'm guessing you meant you called AMEX, not Bonvoy? but either way) was just unaware that there was a promo for 2021.
I called AmEx twice and this is what I was told. I just had an on-line chat session and the agent informed me that the Platinum status would happen on 02/01/2021. This is the answer that I was hoping for and aligns with the Terms and Conditions as I understood them.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mjz

Are you sure that this offer applied when you opened your account? Did it display when you filled in the application?
Old Dec 28, 2020, 5:30 pm
mjz

Yes. It stated:
Enjoy complimentary Platinum Elite status with your Card for the 2021 status year.†
Old Dec 28, 2020, 5:31 pm
mjz

Are you sure that this offer applied when you opened your account? Did it display when you filled in the application?
Yes. It stated:

Enjoy complimentary Platinum Elite status with your Card for the 2021 status year.†

Old Dec 28, 2020, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mjz
Yes. It stated:

Good. In that case the status year begins on January 1st 2021. Disregard the Amex agent.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by mjz
Yes. It stated:
Originally Posted by mjz
Yes. It stated:

Good. In that case the status year begins on January 1st 2021. Disregard the Amex agent.
status year apparently begins February 1st..

Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite Status
You will receive complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status with your Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American ExpressŽ Card. Platinum Elite status will be effective from 2/1/2021 until 1/31/2022. This complimentary Platinum Elite status benefit is only available to the Basic Card Member. If your Card is cancelled for any reason, your complimentary Platinum Elite status provided with the Card will be cancelled. American Express reserves the right to modify or revoke offer at any time. For more information about Platinum Elite status and complete Terms and Conditions, visit marriottbonvoy.com.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That doesn't make any sense. "Status year" means in my understanding the year where you start qualifying for that years membership status and with Marriott that's the calendar year JAN1-DEC31.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 4:23 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
That doesn't make any sense. "Status year" means in my understanding the year where you start qualifying for that years membership status and with Marriott that's the calendar year JAN1-DEC31.
The period to qualify for status is Jan 1 to Dec 31, but earned status is good through February of the following year, I think? So depending which is meant you could say the qualifying period is January to December but the status year runs from Feb to Jan.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 4:46 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
You may not encounter this due to your lifetime status or maintaining that titanium, but the status changes are processed in February for re-qualification.

That isn't to say that they can't just arbitrarily bump someone up early as they do for the 75K spend, but it sounds pretty clear from the terms that it's going to begin in February. They also cannot manage to do the 75K spend bump faster than like, 14 weeks, so if I were someone who signed up on the basis of this offer I wouldn't expect to have platinum for my stay booked next week.

I would agree it's kind of weird how the earning portion is by calendar year but they can't manage to have things roll over at the start of January.
skywalkerLAX likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
This one-month (or more) delay is standard with most hotel and airline loyalty programs.

Obviously, they have to allow some processing time for so many millions of guests. This cannot be done instantaneously, especially with Marriott information technology.

Bonv°y!
Old Dec 29, 2020, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
You may not encounter this due to your lifetime status or maintaining that titanium, but the status changes are processed in February for re-qualification. ...
What status changes? If you re-qualify then there isn't any change. And if you achieve let's say 50 nights you're bumped to Platinum immediately, not just on February 1st.

Just goes to show what an absolute disaster the Marriott rule book for Bonvoy has become. It just defeats any common sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.