Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2020, 4:58 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
What status changes? If you re-qualify then there isn't any change. And if you achieve let's say 50 nights you're bumped to Platinum immediately, not just on February 1st.
If you don't requalify, that's when the status is *downgraded*. And if you qualify for a higher level, you get bumped immediately as a courtesy, but technically you are qualifying for Feb-Feb.

Just goes to show what an absolute disaster the Marriott rule book for Bonvoy has become. It just defeats any common sense.
This is not unique to Marriott. Airline status works similarly.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Zorak
If you don't requalify, that's when the status is *downgraded*. And if you qualify for a higher level, you get bumped immediately as a courtesy, but technically you are qualifying for Feb-Feb.
It's not a courtesy because it's clearly written in the T&C. It's also industry practice and again common sense. Nobody would participate in a loyalty program, let alone continue to stay at a chain where you achieve Platinum by March and then have to wait until February of next year to actually have the status and benefits conferred.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 7:01 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
It's not a courtesy because it's clearly written in the T&C. It's also industry practice and again common sense. Nobody would participate in a loyalty program, let alone continue to stay at a chain where you achieve Platinum by March and then have to wait until February of next year to actually have the status and benefits conferred.
Agreed that "courtesy" isn't a great word choice -- feel free to substitute whatever word you want. The point remains that the status year at least notionally runs from Feb to Feb even though the first time you earn status it kicks in immediately, which I already alluded to when the question came up earlier asking when the CC status is effective:

Originally Posted by Zorak
FWIW the "offer & benefit terms" link on the AMEX site says: "Platinum Elite status will be effective from 2/1/2021 until 1/31/2022." Dunno if this is like earning status normally, where they will give you the remainder of this year also.
i.e. I am kinda surprised, if they are making new CC holders wait until February, but that's Bonvoy for you I guess.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 7:02 pm

It really doesn’t matter what they call it... you get platinum under this offer from 2/1/2021 to 1/31/2022... Amex status year if you will... maybe they are waiting to batch up all that get in on this offer and send the list to Marriott for processing sometime in January. And Marriott system is too dumb to expire this offer on 12/31/2021 so might as well expire it on the normal expiration date (if you go by calendar earning year).
SPN Lifer and Zorak like this.

Last edited by myperks; Dec 29, 2020 at 7:10 pm
Old Jan 1, 2021, 3:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
FWIW note mine was a downgrade from the Brilliant to the $95 Amex Bonvoy card, not a cancellation.
Okay that likely is the factor, thanks for the DP.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 2:56 am

I applied for the Bonvoy Brilliant card on the last day of the promo offer (125k points and Platinum from 2/1/21 to 1/31/22), but was approved the next day.

The Amex agent told me that they go by the date of the application and I’d be eligible for the promo offer.

I just received the card, and the literature/materials only mention Gold. Could anyone else who applied for the card during the promo period confirm the literature that came with the card only mentions Gold without mention of Platinum?
Old Jan 19, 2021, 10:01 am
mjz

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by JLC85
I applied for the Bonvoy Brilliant card on the last day of the promo offer (125k points and Platinum from 2/1/21 to 1/31/22), but was approved the next day.

The Amex agent told me that they go by the date of the application and I’d be eligible for the promo offer.

I just received the card, and the literature/materials only mention Gold. Could anyone else who applied for the card during the promo period confirm the literature that came with the card only mentions Gold without mention of Platinum?
I took advantage of the offer and opened an account in October. The tree I received with my credit card stated Gold. However, I've confirmed with AmEx, and Platinum status is to kick in on 02/01/2021.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 10:39 am

Question Committing to Marriot Bonvoy....any insiders able to share info?

Committing to Marriot Bonvoy....any insiders able to share info?

I am likely going to bite the bullet on Amex Bonvoy Brilliant, however that was when Platinum was included in the promotion. Apparently that offer expired a few days back and promotion dates are enforced. I have not paid much attention until recently. Chase Bold has a plat promotion at the moment yet will recognize more benefit from Brilliant.

Curious how often such sub promotions come around that include Platinum for the year?
Worth waiting a few weeks? Forget about it move on? I'll likely abandon the entire Bonvoy platform otherwise, as it would be a long-term commitment (w/effort, time and expense every year) and not much worth it in the Brilliant otherwise (and Plat. already provides gold.)
Old Jan 21, 2021, 10:45 am

Maybe there is an active promotion link or too floating around?

Old Jan 21, 2021, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Isn't the whole point of credit card elite status to NOT have to commit to any one chain? Fill your wallet with 3-4 cards and you just stay in whichever hotel looks right for each stay.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 10:55 am

Already done. Have WoH, IHG etc.

This is a longer term plan and not that tied to loyalty in the earlier years.
Would prefer Globalist lifetime BUT unobtainable w/o real cash.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by pixelrogue
Curious how often such sub promotions come around that include Platinum for the year?
The Brilliant has only existed for ~2 years and this is the first such promo, which probably had a lot to do with COVID.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 11:10 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by pixelrogue
It will likely be back just wait a few weeks.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 11:28 am

Programs: Yes
Given the lack of true benefits and lack of enforcement from Marriott, I wouldn’t say Platinum is worth it until brand standards are enforced.

Vote with your wallet and stay at the hotels that treat you well and direct money away from Marriott, because they have demonstrated time and again that the hotel guests are not their primary customers.
Tanic, controller1 and happychic like this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 11:51 am

Aiming to double this up w/the current promotions starting soon.

Side note: barely spend any dollars on stays, short of the amount for the cards, and barely traveling atm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.