Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2020, 9:02 am

Can you even gets the Ritz card anymore?
Old Mar 18, 2020, 9:13 am

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flyerfirsts
Can you even gets the Ritz card anymore?
Yes, you have to apply for the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless and after a year you can upgrade.
LF72 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 9:37 am

I was just thinking about cancelling this card when it comes around for renewal.
miles4CDG and LF72 like this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 4:16 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

We have the Ritz, Brilliant, AmEx Marriott and AmEx Biz Marriott CCs. I get positive return out of the Brilliant card. So I keep it.

I keep any card that I can get positive return. It can be the distant second or the distant third of the ranking. I does not matter, as long as the return is positive.
friedablass and volabam like this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 10:24 am

15 EQT nights have now hit my Marriott Account! Can I now cancel the card without them being clawed back? Appreciate it may be irrelevant now anyway with likely changes to the status qualification this year.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 11:50 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Amex just gave me a second free night certificate in a sort of double error scenario. Back in January my free night cert was way overdue (card anniversary September) and I ended up spending the morning on the phone, getting bounced back and forth between Marriott and Amex before someone on the Amex side was able to resolve the error and manually deposit the cert in my account. It showed up a few days later and all was well. Fast forward to this morning, when I get an email from Amex saying they were delayed in depositing the cert and they're very sorry and they've just deposited it now to 'make things right'. Sure enough, I check my Bonvoy account and I now have 2 50k certs, the one from January (which is currently attached to a reservation) and a new one that expires next March.

I don't want to take advantage of this situation, especially if the second certificate could be clawed back later and I get stuck having to pay penalties or whatever for their error. However, I also really don't want to spend another morning on the phone, especially right now when everything is flooded with Covid-19 issues. What's the play here?
Old Mar 27, 2020, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
SHHHHHHHHHHHH

(Marriott often takes and takes...once in awhile it accidentally gives...)
friedablass likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 2:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
THEY made a mistake. They can't make you pay for that.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 2:54 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
One of my friends got double sign up bonuses from the original Amex Marriott Bonvoy card, and now he just got a second free night cert today.. The sign up bonus never got clawed back. Both times he had called in because it was taking forever for the points/certs to post.
zymm likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 8:51 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by friedablass
THEY made a mistake. They can't make you pay for that.
It's not exactly the same thing, but Amex mistakenly reimbursed airlines fees that were subsequently refunded for many of its Plat holders and it has been clawing them back months later. Hence, it's not impossible that Amex wants that erroneously deposited cert be "paid for" somehow months later.

LAX

Last edited by LAX; Mar 28, 2020 at 3:11 pm Reason: spelling
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:04 am
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
Originally Posted by zymm
I don't want to take advantage of this situation, especially if the second certificate could be clawed back later and I get stuck having to pay penalties or whatever for their error. However, I also really don't want to spend another morning on the phone, especially right now when everything is flooded with Covid-19 issues. What's the play here?
I had the exact same thing happen. I'm planning on just using it (once we can travel again) and if they come back looking for it so be it. I thought about calling them but figured not worth my time or effort and they'd be so confused about it. Gotta play the game or you'll never know.
zymm likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 9:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by LAX
It's not exactly the same thing, but Amex mistakenly reimbursed airlines fees that were subsequently refunded for many of its Plat holders and it has been clawing them back months later. Hence, it's not impossible that Amex wants that erroneously deposited cert be "paid for" somehow months later.

LAX
It's not the same thing at all IMHO. Most of those reimbursed airline fees were not "mistakes", it was people who were gaming the system. In legit cases, it was for honestly cancelled fees but their system didn't catch it.

In either case, clawing that refund back is entirely different than making someone pay for a stay because they used a free night cert that was their mistake in the first place.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 10:05 am

Programs: CX MPC Gold, Mariott Titanium, United 1K
Bonvoy Credit card welcome bonus

I'm planning to move to the states in June (depending on situation anyways), and noticed that the Bonvoy Credit card 100K bonus from AMEX will be expiring next week. Would it be worth it to sign up for the card now (using AMEX's global transfer) or will there likely be a new offer once this one is over on Apr 8th? Just for perspective, Most of my spending will be done in June, which barely makes the 3 month mark, which is why I'm considering waiting for a new offer if there will be a new one. Given the situation, I'm not sure there will be though so wanted to get some thoughts.

I know with everything going on, this question seems a little insignificant right now, but any recommendations would be appreciated.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 8:06 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Oneworldflyer64
I'm planning to move to the states in June (depending on situation anyways), and noticed that the Bonvoy Credit card 100K bonus from AMEX will be expiring next week. Would it be worth it to sign up for the card now (using AMEX's global transfer) or will there likely be a new offer once this one is over on Apr 8th? Just for perspective, Most of my spending will be done in June, which barely makes the 3 month mark, which is why I'm considering waiting for a new offer if there will be a new one. Given the situation, I'm not sure there will be though so wanted to get some thoughts.

I know with everything going on, this question seems a little insignificant right now, but any recommendations would be appreciated.
It has come and gone. I think it's likely it will come back again, especially when Marriott needs to drum up business and card signups after COVID-19.

Some advice as someone who got the original SPG card as my global transfer when I moved to the US from Canada and is still salty about the reduced earnings nowadays compared to 1SPG/$. You may want to get a no-AF card, or one that can be downgraded to a no-AF card, as your global transfer. If it's your oldest credit line you'll want to keep it and you may not want to be stuck paying an AF if they change the card in a way that makes it not worth keeping otherwise.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 3:08 pm

Does anyone know if you downgrade the Bonvoy Brillant after the AF posts to the standard Bonvoy card, but before the 50K night cert posts, do you get the 50K night cert or the 35K night cert?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.