Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2021, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
Betting on this trick to get to Platinium for the next 2-3 years carries much better odds than betting it will continue to work for 10, though.
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Similar to getting 10 years of Hilton Honors Diamond status through holding the $450 annual Aspire AmEx card, the only avenues Marriott Bonv°y members can take advantage of are those that are offered.
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Not sure the reference to 10 years, since Hilton LT Diamond requires 1,000 nights as well.
I was opining that the credit card benefits offered by Marriott seemed as likely to persist as those offered by Hilton. And even if they don't, we might as well make the best of things while we can.

I agree that with a Hilton Aspire AmEx, getting the 10 years is the easy part. For many, getting 1,000 close-to-actual nights or $200,000 Hilton base spend could indeed take a lifetime.

How I wish Marriott Bonv°y would reopen a path to Lifetime Titanium Elite!
Old Jan 24, 2021, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat (4 MM), SPG LT Plat (Bonvoy doesn’t exist to me), HH Diamond via cc, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Not sure the reference to 10 years, since Hilton LT Diamond requires 1,000 nights as well.
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
I agree that with a Hilton Aspire AmEx, getting the 10 years is the easy part. For many, getting 1,000 close-to-actual nights or $200,000 Hilton base spend could indeed take a lifetime.
At the risk of being overly pedantic, neither of these are exactly right. At Hilton it's (1) 10 years of Diamond, and (2) either 1,000 nights or 2,000,000 base points.

This is an important distinction because all points earned via the Aspire Amex count as base points this year (and the back half of last year). I know 2 people who run their own business and moved all their business expenses to the Aspire card last year. 1 will make LT Diamond with ease, and the other will be really close by the end of the year. I was most of the way there already, but even I'll likely get there by the end of 2021 largely through card spending and only a couple nights in a Hilton (since with the Aspire you actually get 24 base points per dollar spent on property this year).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 9:41 am

With the anniversary night extentions from this or the other Amex Marriott cards extended to July 31, 2021, think theres a chance of getting a further extention or being allowed to use for a booking beyond July 31st? Reason to ask I'm scheduled to receive the covid vaccine shot on July 10th and am not comfortable with any travel until its two weeks after my second shot.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 12:51 pm

Programs: IHG Plat(Ambssdr on occasion), Hyatt Explr(2023), AS Mileage Plan, Rapid Rewards, Bonvoy Plat
I wonder once things get going again, Status Matches will be big time as they all try to drum up business.

Maybe can take advantage of the Platinum status when it kicks in next month(for us newbies) to get the ball rolling.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 6:25 pm

Can I have both the AF Marriott Bonvoy Card & Amex Bonvoy Brilliant?

If I have the AF Marriott Bonvoy Card, can I also apply (not upgrade) for the Amex Bonvoy Brilliant card and keep both? (Its OK if I don't get a sign-up bonus).

Chase for example says pretty clearly for the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ Credit Card when you click Offer Details:
Eligibility for this product: The product is not available to either:
Current cardmembers of the Marriott Bonvoy™ Premier credit card (also known as Marriott Rewards® Premier), Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ credit card (also known as Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus), Marriott Bonvoy Bold™ credit card

However, on the Amex Bonvoy Brilliant application page, when I click on Offer Details, there is no section that speaks to product eligibility, it only speaks about welcome bonus eligibility.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 8:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by GarudaSoars
If I have the AF Marriott Bonvoy Card, can I also apply (not upgrade) for the Amex Bonvoy Brilliant card and keep both? (Its OK if I don't get a sign-up bonus).
My apologies, but what is "AF"?

If you mean the card that was previously the personal SPG Amex with $95 fee (that you can no longer get) and converted to the Bonvoy Amex card, then yes, you can also have the Brilliant card and you will get the sign up bonus as well.
GarudaSoars likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass
My apologies, but what is "AF"?
Apologies for the misunderstanding at my end. I meant to ask whether it is possible to hold both the “regular” Amex Marriott Bonvoy card ($95 annual fee) and the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Amex Card.

Want I want to do is downgrade my Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Amex Card to the “regular” Amex Marriott Bonvoy card given travel is low right now. Then when travel picks up again, instead of upgrading the “regular” Amex Marriott Bonvoy card, I want to apply for the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Amex Card.

I read somewhere that this wasn't possible and if I have the “regular” Amex Marriott Bonvoy card and go to apply for the Bonvoy Brilliant Amex Card after logging in to my Amex account, the application page will say, "upgrade" and not "apply" for the Bonvoy Brilliant Amex Card (aka no way to apply). However, not sure of the accuracy of this given I can't find where I read this some time back.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 8:55 pm

No worries.

This must be something new or something I wasn't aware of because I have the personal Amex Bonvoy card so I went to check this for you. You are correct in what you read and when I log in I cannot apply for a new Brilliant card. I can only "request an upgrade" (with no mention made of any bonus points earned for spending after upgrade).

I previously was under the impression that since Amex was no longer offering the regular personal Bonvoy card and only the Brilliant card, that you could have both because the Brilliant was a totally new and different card product that replaced the SPG luxury card. Previously you were able to have both the regular and luxury card.
GarudaSoars likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 9:00 pm

I have the personal Amex Bonvoy card so I went to check this for you. You are correct in what you read and when I log in I cannot apply for a new Brilliant card. I can only "request an upgrade"
Thank you so much for checking this for me as there was no way for me to confirm this given I don't have the personal Amex Bonvoy card. Too bad we can no longer have both (even if we are willing to forgo the sign-up bonus)
Old Jan 31, 2021, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I closed my high-end Ritz Carlton Visa after a couple of years, including one year with $75K spend. I have the Chase Marriott Visa, and closed my old SPG AmEx after the merger.

Marriott did not want its two credit card partners competing with each other. So for new applicants, Chase issues the mid-range annual fee (AF) card and the no-AF Marriott Bold Visa card, while AmEx issues the high-end AF Bonv°y Brilliant Luxury AmEx.

That is why one cannot upgrade or downgrade between mid-AF and high-AF cards. I have read that there might be exceptions if one formerly held the card. People who never closed the "wrong" level cards can keep them.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Jan 31, 2021 at 9:28 pm
Old Feb 1, 2021, 12:07 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
No worries.

This must be something new or something I wasn't aware of because I have the personal Amex Bonvoy card so I went to check this for you. You are correct in what you read and when I log in I cannot apply for a new Brilliant card. I can only "request an upgrade" (with no mention made of any bonus points earned for spending after upgrade).

I previously was under the impression that since Amex was no longer offering the regular personal Bonvoy card and only the Brilliant card, that you could have both because the Brilliant was a totally new and different card product that replaced the SPG luxury card. Previously you were able to have both the regular and luxury card.
Actually you can have both. Don’t let the Amex website fool you. You just need to apply whilst not being logged in.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by GVA
Actually you can have both. Don’t let the Amex website fool you. You just need to apply whilst not being logged in.
Thank you for confirming that as the Amex website does fool you into thinking you can only upgrade if you already have the regular personal. I recalled seeing that you can have both but could no longer find confirmation of that. I will consider applying for a new one once travel picks up as my spouse already has a Brilliant card so no need for another one right now.

Thanks again.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 7:41 am

Platinum Promotion

I recently opened the card with platinum status promotion for feb of 2021 and my account hasnt updated...anyone have any ideas?
Old Feb 1, 2021, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by IAHTRVLR
I recently opened the card with platinum status promotion for feb of 2021 and my account hasnt updated...anyone have any ideas?
Same here - and I have a stay tonight.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 8:37 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by IAHTRVLR
Fine print (from Chase offer, but might apply here too).

Platinum elite upgrade terms

I was planning a stay this week and may call to see if upgrade can be expedited.

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Feb 1, 2021 at 8:40 am Reason: amplification

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.