Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Peak and off peak Awards (General Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Peak and off peak Awards (General Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2019, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Deleted - moved to discussion thread. A bit confusing with 2 threads now...
Old Aug 16, 2019, 1:07 am

Programs: UA Au Marriott Ti Hilton C
@bh

You, of all people, referring to “#dramaqueens.”

Remarkable.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Knew this was coming - another major deval for those of us who mostly travel during peak season. Glad I burned over 600k points last year before the hammer fell. We will see how the ski resorts come out, but I am not optimistic... and it will be even worse for popular expensive city destinations in the summer.

Originally Posted by RedSun
Whatever the point changes regarding peak and off-peak fine. But the problem is the credit card award night. It is fixed at up to 35k or 50k points. the peak/off-peak change skews it to the downside and drops in value. So I do not see the need to carry those Marriott credit cards for the award night. Marriott should just give the points and let travelers decide how to use the points.
This has been true for many years now, ever since the Cat 5 free nights became almost worthless to many of us when all the good properties were raised to Cat 6. There was a temporary respite with the introduction of the 50k point free nights, but predictably that will also become less useful due to inevitable increase in hotel categories.

Will be interesting to see how many people cancel their new Amex and Chase cards after they find they can't redeem the free nights except for Rez inn Fresno...
Old Aug 16, 2019, 1:30 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
So just got this email-which I am sure you all did. Here's the title "Two New Ways to Redeem Points for Free Nights". I interpret the two ways as 1) Pay more than you are now 2) Pay less (rarely) but we really already had that with pointsavers.

They really like to spin!
Old Aug 16, 2019, 2:05 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by christianj
Thanks for starting a new thread on this. I just posted it in the Peak (Non-Peak) thread but I was worried about getting in trouble for starting a new thread...I guess it's ok for you to do it.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31418431-post39.html

this is seems fair as cash prices fluctuate depending on demand/time of year so this falls into line
Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Wow, I'm so disappointed with Marriott's announcement today. I've been thinking of pursuing status with Marriott and get a few of the cards, but now I'm really reconsidering as the value isn't really there with all of these devaluations.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:23 am

Programs: Miles&More
No word, than: Marriott really sucks with this Season Idea, its nothing else that a hidden price raise.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:30 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
The thing I noticed in today's email is under "Stay for 5, Pay for 4" - Book a redemption stay with points for five consecutive nights and get the lowest-point night for free.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
@bhrubin...yes we knew it was coming and I agree that some might have been worse under SPG but at least under SPG we also knew what the peak and non-peak times were at hotels because that was published. If Bonvoy was to publish the peak and non-peak times for the hotels then it might reduce some of the angst! They are not doing that so people are acting like drama queens which is cause by Marriott's smoke and mirrors approach. I think it is a normal reaction to get upset due to the unknown...if we knew the times that peak and non-peak were going to get applied you would still get some complaining (which is required since we are on FT) but I don't think we would have this many freaking out.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:37 am

Up next: Marriott charges for luggage size coming into the property. You can bring carry ons for free, but it's $50 per bag for anything that has to be checked. Doesn't matter if you drove into town or flew.

Parking fees for the hotels with small garages go up 30%, and will now be based on vehicle size. But don't worry; the suburban hotels with huge lots only go up 10% - not sized based. Customers WIN!

2021 will bring charges for using BOTH soaps in the room.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by shimps1
Well, I hope Marriott publishes the statistics on where the Peak/Off-Peak pricing is going.

What's to stop them from just saying "it will be spread evenly across the portfolio," but having that actually be a flat out lie?

7000+ hotels, probably average rooms is 150ish at each location, that's 1,050,000 rooms per night minimum. There is no way a layman could verify that the peak/off-peak is evenly spread.

Are you going to share statistics on where the off-peaks are going? Otherwise, I will just consider this a 100% devaluation, because there is nothing stopping you from just saying "oh, they are available, you just must not have looked hard enough."
As far as I can tell, peak pricing will vary by hotel and by day, but not by room or room type. So really, what you would need to tally up would be 7000 hotels times 330 day booking window.
ExArkie likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:49 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Didn't Marriott have blackout dates and when they feel like it, they can double the points require (think that was what they called anytime awards). So how is that better than SPG. Many on this thread would love to go back to SPG any time any day!!!!!
Wow, that is digging up the distant past. Marriott hasn't used Anytime award for over 10+ years (maybe longer as the older I get the worse my memory gets.)

I think that bhrubin is referencing the more recent past. If you look over the last few years (before the programs merged) for the top category hotel redemptions, the move to the Bonvoy program actually allows one to get award rooms at those hotels for less overall points than prior to the merger. And I would agree that is "generally" true, but really only for the higher end category hotels. For the lower and mid category hotels, I'm not as sure that holds as true.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 7:33 am

I saw this in the link in my email. Perhaps it only applies to Canadian AMEX and perhaps it is not new, but anyway:

After your Card account anniversary, your Free Night Award will arrive as an e-certificate that can be viewed on the Activity page within your member account. Free Night Award e-certificates can be used instead of points to reserve a room. Plus, you can use points to add more nights to your award stay when making a reservation.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by MaxFlying
I saw this in the link in my email. Perhaps it only applies to Canadian AMEX and perhaps it is not new, but anyway:

After your Card account anniversary, your Free Night Award will arrive as an e-certificate that can be viewed on the Activity page within your member account. Free Night Award e-certificates can be used instead of points to reserve a room. Plus, you can use points to add more nights to your award stay when making a reservation.
This is the same for the US credit cards...you get an e-cert, you can use it to book a stay up to the value of the cert and if you want to book additional nights you can of course do that with points you have in your account.

Are you reading the "Plus, you can use points to add more nights" as something other than using points in your account to book additional nights like booking higher cost award nights?
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by 1120
This has been a tough year for points devaluation for sure. Between trashing travel packages, category addition, category creep and now this? Ouch.

I was already headed toward free agency when I hit lifetime Ti last year and this makes it that much easier. Mrs. 1120 and I just returned from a couple weeks in Europe. Up til Bonvoy, we would have stayed primarily at Marriott properties. This time? €0

It’s not all bad - we’ve expanded both work and vacation lodging choices and it’s been great.

The grass really is greener when you get away from Bonvoy.
Amen! This is the final nail in the coffin for me. I hit lifetime platinum at the end of this year and I'm done with Marriott. I have no doubt that my point redemptions will be higher a further devaluation of a program that continues to suck. I have tons of SNAs that I rarely am able to redeem. Moreover, the service at Marriott properties has been inconsistent, at best, and frankly they rarely truly recognize your status. I'm done!

I'm moving over to Hyatt and luckily they've opened some properties near areas that I frequently travel so I have options.

Bon voyage Marriott!
realworld and Tedyuscung like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.