Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Peak and off peak Awards (General Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Peak and off peak Awards (General Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:01 am

Everyone wants information and want it yesterday. We want the listing of peak, standard, and off peak listing now before September 14th because we need to maximize point value. I would think come September 14th at the latest, we might have a listing (hopefully for at least a year going forward). What happened when SPG introduced peak pricing?
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:22 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by myperks
Everyone wants information and want it yesterday. We want the listing of peak, standard, and off peak listing now before September 14th because we need to maximize point value. I would think come September 14th at the latest, we might have a listing (hopefully for at least a year going forward). What happened when SPG introduced peak pricing?
SPG introduced high season and low season award pricing when it introduced Category 5 and 6 (and then continued that when it introduced Category 7) many, many years ago--like early 2000s. This was posted by famed Starwood Lurker William Sanders in July 2008:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/10050468-post15.html

...your premise that high and low seasons are a new thing that we sprung on everyone in the past few months is simply in error. They came with the advent of Category 5 & 6 properties some time ago and have extended to also include Category 7 properties. I'm sorry if you missed the memo and the hullaballoo that followed here at Flyertalk, but these facts are anything but new to most SPG members.
Seems to me that those created a hullaballoo back then, too...and everyone got accustomed to it eventually, anyway.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by bhrubin
That is entirely possible as I've never considered a single below-Cat 5 award.
this is precisely the reason your knowledge of the spg program seems to be limited....your experiences & stay patterns are not the norm....the greater number of spg members used their points at cat 5 & below properties....

these changes make little or no difference to you because you only stay at properties that require a greater amount of points....but for the vast majority of people who use their points at cat 5, 4, 3, 2 or even cat 1 properties, these changes & lack of transparency makes a great difference....
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:30 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Keyser
this is precisely the reason your knowledge of the spg program seems to be limited....your experiences & stay patterns are not the norm....the greater number of spg members used their points at cat 5 & below properties....

these changes make little or no difference to you because you only stay at properties that require a greater amount of points....but for the vast majority of people who use their points at cat 5, 4, 3, 2 or even cat 1 properties, these changes & lack of transparency makes a great difference....
Ah, all of those STILL knew about the new peak and off-peak pricing almost 18 months ago. They had their chance then to express outrage or to move to another hotel group. Regardless of whether those matter to me or not, those members already knew this was coming with tons of advance notice.
Newman and Twickenham like this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Ah, all of those STILL knew about the new peak and off-peak pricing almost 18 months ago. They had their chance then to express outrage or to move to another hotel group. Regardless of whether those matter to me or not, those members already knew this was coming with tons of advance notice.
sure they did & once again i don't get the impression that all of those people are expressing outrage at the fact that this is now happening....their outrage seems to be targeted at the lack of transparency....

you keep on repeating that people are upset that peak pricing is being introduced now but was announced a long time ago....but hardly anyone (if anyone at all) seems to be saying that....they all seem to be saying that they always knew this was coming but the lack of transparency is bad....

there is a HUGE difference between what you think people are saying compared to what they are actually saying....
Old Aug 17, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Everyone wants information and want it yesterday. We want the listing of peak, standard, and off peak listing now before September 14th because we need to maximize point value. I would think come September 14th at the latest, we might have a listing (hopefully for at least a year going forward).
I would not expect a listing. With 7,000+ Marriott Bonvoy properties, almost all of which are open 365 days per year, it would have to be a very long list!

And there will never be a list going forward a year because, according to Marriott, dates can move between Off-Peak, Standard, and Peak, based on actual demand, just as cash prices can go up or down.

Today, when you display the Flexible Dates calendar for a cash reservation at a particular hotel, you might see some nights below $100, some nights above $300, and many nights nights in-between. If you display the Flexible Dates calendar for a Points reservation for the same property, every night is the same number of points — or the calendar shows "not available for check-in."

Beginning September 14, I expect reservation searches on Marriott.com to show the number of points required, based on Off-Peak, Standard, and Peak, for Flexible Dates and for Specific Dates. I expect a significant correlation between between cheap nights and Off-Peak; average nights and Standard; and expensive nights and Peak.

To maximize point value now, I would book under the current "everything is Standard" rules. I would use the cash prices as a clue suggesting which which nights might over up to Peak or down to Off-Peak on September 14. Then rebook if nights have gone down to Off-Peak.
dw and bhrubin like this.

Last edited by Horace; Aug 17, 2019 at 12:29 pm
Old Aug 17, 2019, 2:08 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

This thread gets so insane now. I don’t even know what people are talking now. I only see some individual trying to revive the SPG world.

We will see ski resorts wide open over shoulder seasons. Caribbean resorts wide open during hurricane season, desert resorts wide open during 100F summer etc. This is how Marriott manages its off peak seasons. Go there when no one wants to go.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by RedSun
This thread gets so insane now. I don’t even know what people are talking now. I only see some individual trying to revive the SPG world.

We will see ski resorts wide open over shoulder seasons. Caribbean resorts wide open during hurricane season, desert resorts wide open during 100F summer etc. This is how Marriott manages its off peak seasons. Go there when no one wants to go.
Apparently they don't have to.
They can use another hotel on their portfolio, not limited by area to "balance" things out.
Maybe full winter season peak rate in W Verbier will be offset by an Aloft in the middle of Africa
From not so clear explanation written by some blogger anyway.

And also Al Maha Dubai Desert Resort was indeed open during August when the temperature was about 49C or about 120F.
I was there and they do have 30% summer rate

Anyway, I agree that we need further clarification and more transparency from Marriott.

However, this devaluation/ changes, might not affect me much as most of the time I plan to use my point for airline miles.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 2:39 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by RedSun

What are you talking about? Even now, there's plenty of award availability for ski season for all the major hotels at Colorado, Utah, Canada, Switzerland ski mountain locations. That includes Dec (outside of holidays), Jan, Feb, and Mar.

There always has been and always will be wonderful award availability at these mountain resorts. They will just cost a bit more points during the obvious peak season when their rates are concomitantly higher.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 2:59 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I will just burn my Marriott points over the next year or two and don’t want to fight a losing cause. We can’t never win this devaluation war.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
+1000

...Personally, my approach will be to assume all awards are peak before booking--and then be pleasantly surprised when I book and realize the award nights might be standard or non-peak and cost me less. #expectations

That being said, unlike you, many others herein are speaking as if it's the end of their loyalty to Marriott--which pretty much says to me they think the sky is falling on this not-new news.
+1000

Newman
andrewstahl and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
The Bonvoy Pointsavers Chart is out, and might be a silver lining to the Peak/Off- Peak Cloud for those who want to redeem annual credit card free night certs for off-peak higher categories.

Those who have a credit card with an annual free night up to 35K points, one can redeem a Cat 6 Off Peak PointSaver (35K point value) as of 9/14.

For people who have an annual free night cert up to 50K points, one can get an Off Peak Cat 7 PointSaver (45K value) as of 9/14.
Attached Images  
Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by conde
The Bonvoy Pointsavers Chart is out, and might be a silver lining to the Peak/Off- Peak Cloud for those who want to redeem annual credit card free night certs for off-peak higher categories.

Those who have a credit card with an annual free night up to 35K points, one can redeem a Cat 6 Off Peak PointSaver (35K point value) as of 9/14.

For people who have an annual free night cert up to 50K points, one can get an Off Peak Cat 7 PointSaver (45K value) as of 9/14.
did the standard points go down a little with the new chart? or are there off peak and peak point savers? This is too much.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold

did the standard points go down a little with the new chart? or are there off peak and peak point savers? This is too much.
The (Standard) Points remain as we learned earlier, under the "Points" tab. They still have an Off Peak, Standard, and Peak. There is a separate chart in the PointSavers tab, which also has Off Peak, Standard, and Peak.

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/red...ointsavers-tab
Attached Images  
Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:56 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
There is a huge difference between knowing that peak/off-peak is coming and now learning that it will be dynamic with little ability to plan your redemptions. From what we now know, and didn't know 18 months ago, Marriott could see that a given weekend 5 months from now is going to be very busy at a property and decide to activate peak pricing. If someone has been earning points with the goal of staying at that property and suddenly finds that the points they need will be higher than expected, it could easily ruin their plans. That lack of transparency is really not acceptable and demoralizing.
dw and margarita girl like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.