Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Peak and off peak Awards (General Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Peak and off peak Awards (General Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2019, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by freed0m
are we talking about peak vs off-peak or point advance? I am talking about dynamic peak price.

The title of the thread is about peak and off peak....
its all tied in....when you are discussing the aspect of peak pricing then you can't leave out the other bits....

I digress.
you most certainly do....
Old Aug 20, 2019, 12:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
I made and locked the rates of a bunch of speculative cancellable PA reservations at hotels during dates that will likely become peak. I hope my "investment" will pay off in the form of free points
Old Aug 20, 2019, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
I made and locked the rates of a bunch of speculative cancellable PA reservations at hotels during dates that will likely become peak. I hope my "investment" will pay off in the form of free points
then you may be disappointed as this whole peak and non peak discussion on Points Advance is on how PA will guarantee the room but not the cost going forward. Although not sure about pre9/14 PA.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
First you run the risk of having your account flagged. I'm sure what you are attempting, they had thought about. Otherwise, they wouldn't give the advance notice. I read they set a limit on how many of those they will allow.

Second I hope their IT has improved. Since they can change the "price" month by month, maybe the CSR can also adjust the "price" (say within the offpeak to peak range) on the fly on a particular booking. In that case, they can just adjust and issue you the award at the booked level, which means they don't need to give you any extra points.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by myperks

then you may be disappointed as this whole peak and non peak discussion on Points Advance is on how PA will guarantee the room but not the cost going forward. Although not sure about pre9/14 PA.
Per Gary, Marriott will honor up to 5 PA reservations made before 9/14 if it falls under peak pricing.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I don’t think so. On the contrary, anyone booking after Sept 14 and into perpetuity from that point forward any points advance award reservations over any of those obviously highest occupancy periods is going to book originally at peak rates. So there’s no rude awakening or even another kind of awakening! And the rates are going to stay at peak rates.

i don't think so....unless you have a source to verify this information....all the reports i have read online seem to suggest that the dates will be recalculated once a month so there is no guarantee that people will be booking only at peak rates....

Anyone booking before Sept 14 any points advance standard award reservations over any of those obviously highest occupancy periods who isn’t already expecting those to change immediately on Sept 14 to peak awards is kidding themselves. That isn’t a rude awakening. That’s a reality check.
once again, this is just speculation....just because its a peak travel month in a particular city, it doesn't mean that all hotels will be sold out or be anywhere near sold out....a good example is a city like nyc....my your24 requests for late check-outs always get denied here & the reason given is that the hotel is running on high occupancy....i finally brought this issue up with a manager at a nyc property earlier this year....my request for a 6pm or 7pm check-out was denied citing high occupancy but rates were extremely low (around $100) & the hotel did not seem to be anywhere near full....the manager told me that they had plenty of empty rooms but they didn't approve late check-out requests because their housekeeping staff leaves at 5pm....

so the hotel cited high occupancy but that was not the case....i'm hoping that its a central system that decides peak & non-peak dates because if its left to individual properties then the hotel can project itself as peak even when occupancy is low....if the dates are indeed going to be recalculated every month then there is a high chance that some properties in a particular area will be more busy than others....so its not necessary that all will have peak rates....

Also, I prefer people who actually have saved up for their peak awards at those periods to get first crack than those who haven’t. So I think Marriott is doing the fair thing here.
as someone who has never used points advance & probably never will, i still disagree with that statement....people like you & me have a healthy points balance so we are never concerned about running short of points for any stay....but a great number of members work for months or throughout the year to accumulate enough points for a vacation....its unfair to not give them the same opportunity....what matters at the end of the day is that they have enough points at the time of their stay....if they can't get there in time then in any case their reservation will be cancelled....

i have a junior lawyer in my firm who has been part of my team for the last 3 years....i ensure that all those who travel with me for work are signed up for various frequent flyer programs so that they can start earning miles & points....when this particular lawyer started traveling for work she started to get the hang of collecting points....because of this she keeps coming back to me for advise on how to best manage her points so that her husband & her can take an annual vacation in june every year....i've been giving her advice for the last 3 years & she starts saving her points every year in june of the current year so that she can afford the next vacation in june the following year....how unfair would it be for her to have saved for 11 months, only to find out that in the last month the points have been recalculated & she now requires more????

not everyone is looking to game the system....the majority of those booking points advance are actually genuinely looking to stay at the hotel....rather than increase the points on them, limit points advance reservations to one or two at a time....not everyone is earning thousands of points by having multiple rooms/events paid by other people or through credit card spends....most people rely on their own single room stays & promos to build a points balance over a period of time....let them have the same opportunity that we have....
Boraxo, khlay, unclepants and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 1:37 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
This point advance change could potentially benefit member.

if the stay date falls on peak rate during initial pa booking and it recalculate down before stays, member can just "pay" and settle without having to run the risk of room become unavailable after cancelling the first reservation.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 5:29 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by fttc
You are arguing against "gaming the system". But your argument doesn't make sense.

did you read from beginning? The original argument is that SPG has fixed peak date and Marriott has dynamic peak date so that it prevents gaming the system.

you certainly can game the system with fixed peak date when you can book a standard award when there is an event which drives the cash price up...
Old Aug 20, 2019, 5:46 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by Keyser

i don't think so....unless you have a source to verify this information....all the reports i have read online seem to suggest that the dates will be recalculated once a month so there is no guarantee that people will be booking only at peak rates....

once again, this is just speculation....just because its a peak travel month in a particular city, it doesn't mean that all hotels will be sold out or be anywhere near sold out....a good example is a city like nyc....my your24 requests for late check-outs always get denied here & the reason given is that the hotel is running on high occupancy....i finally brought this issue up with a manager at a nyc property earlier this year....my request for a 6pm or 7pm check-out was denied citing high occupancy but rates were extremely low (around $100) & the hotel did not seem to be anywhere near full....the manager told me that they had plenty of empty rooms but they didn't approve late check-out requests because their housekeeping staff leaves at 5pm....

so the hotel cited high occupancy but that was not the case....i'm hoping that its a central system that decides peak & non-peak dates because if its left to individual properties then the hotel can project itself as peak even when occupancy is low....if the dates are indeed going to be recalculated every month then there is a high chance that some properties in a particular area will be more busy than others....so its not necessary that all will have peak rates....

as someone who has never used points advance & probably never will, i still disagree with that statement....people like you & me have a healthy points balance so we are never concerned about running short of points for any stay....but a great number of members work for months or throughout the year to accumulate enough points for a vacation....its unfair to not give them the same opportunity....what matters at the end of the day is that they have enough points at the time of their stay....if they can't get there in time then in any case their reservation will be cancelled....

i have a junior lawyer in my firm who has been part of my team for the last 3 years....i ensure that all those who travel with me for work are signed up for various frequent flyer programs so that they can start earning miles & points....when this particular lawyer started traveling for work she started to get the hang of collecting points....because of this she keeps coming back to me for advise on how to best manage her points so that her husband & her can take an annual vacation in june every year....i've been giving her advice for the last 3 years & she starts saving her points every year in june of the current year so that she can afford the next vacation in june the following year....how unfair would it be for her to have saved for 11 months, only to find out that in the last month the points have been recalculated & she now requires more????

not everyone is looking to game the system....the majority of those booking points advance are actually genuinely looking to stay at the hotel....rather than increase the points on them, limit points advance reservations to one or two at a time....not everyone is earning thousands of points by having multiple rooms/events paid by other people or through credit card spends....most people rely on their own single room stays & promos to build a points balance over a period of time....let them have the same opportunity that we have....

i genuinely want to stay at the most expensive hotel in Marriott portfolios, but I don’t have enough money for it. Could Marriott please let me stay?

Mr. Lawyer, I genuinely don’t have enough money to hire you. Could you please help me anyway?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
i genuinely want to stay at the most expensive hotel in Marriott portfolios, but I don’t have enough money for it. Could Marriott please let me stay?
If you don't have enough money when you make the reservation but you do have it when you stay, sure you can. If you still don't have the money but have a credit card, sure you can.

Mr. Lawyer, I genuinely don’t have enough money to hire you. Could you please help me anyway?
The one time we hired a lawyer, he worked for a percentage of the settlement that he was seeking for us. So no, we didn't have the money to pay him, and yes he helped us.

I live in a jurisdiction (Quebec) with very strong consumer laws. I genuinely wonder if they would get away with increasing the room rate after having made a reservation.
Marykatesmom likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 7:44 am

did you read from beginning? The original argument is that SPG has fixed peak date and Marriott has dynamic peak date so that it prevents gaming the system.
I did. At least it's only 13 pages long.

you certainly can game the system with fixed peak date when you can book a standard award when there is an event which drives the cash price up...
Why is that gaming the system? If for a given "price", one is willing to sell, and one is willing to buy, then it's fair. Even for cash price, it's possible to get a good price even when there is event if one bought very early. Besides, haven't you seen that points booking can become unavailable peak rate or not when the cash price becomes high? So certainly SPG/Marriott has way to not sell you a points booking when it feels not a good deal.

So as I said, your argument doesn't make sense.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter

This is nonsense.
Boraxo, Marykatesmom and Keyser like this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
The points advance change is really a form of raising required points. In this case, it was done with plenty of notice, which is in general my biggest complaint with category changes.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:01 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV

This isn't gaming the system, this is maximizing the value of your points/miles.

Gaming the system is doing something which is unscrupulous or wrong or cheating. This is why there is so much of a heated response to these claims.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaming_the_system

Gaming the system would be if you were to book a refundable rate for a suite, and another cheap or points rate, and then cancel it at the last minute to ensure you get upgraded to that suite. Everyone here would agree that it is unscrupulous. That doesn't mean people wouldn't do it. But even they would agree that this is not fair or proper. Dynamic Peak and Off Peak rates do not prevent gaming the system. Reducing the opportunity to only three PA bookings does help prevent people from gaming the system.

Booking a standard award when there is an event which drives the cash prices up is not gaming the system but rather opportunities to maximize the value we are getting for our points. This is why we have discussions about the value of a point. Do we look for opportunities to get .8 cents per point or .5 cents per point or 1.2 cents per point? Otherwise it might as be a straight discount for loyalty members or a cashback program.

What Marriott are doing with dynamic award pricing is reducing the opportunity to get outsized value for our points.

What they are doing by not allowing members to lock in the price when using one of their three price advance bookings is discouraging members like the junior lawyer in keyser's example from relying on Marriott when planning their vacations as they don't know what the price will be for the award when they have the points saved up.
unclepants, Keyser and ankomonkey like this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:13 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by yosithezet
This isn't gaming the system, this is maximizing the value of your points/miles.

Gaming the system is doing something which is unscrupulous or wrong or cheating. This is why there is so much of a heated response to these claims.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaming_the_system

Gaming the system would be if you were to book a refundable rate for a suite, and another cheap or points rate, and then cancel it at the last minute to ensure you get upgraded to that suite. Everyone here would agree that it is unscrupulous. That doesn't mean people wouldn't do it. But even they would agree that this is not fair or proper. Dynamic Peak and Off Peak rates do not prevent gaming the system. Reducing the opportunity to only three PA bookings does help prevent people from gaming the system.
Booking an award stay while not having the sufficient points is also a privilege--a privilege that Marriott offered and now continues to offer that none of the other major chains offers. Anyone who does so and yet doesn't intend to stay is gaming the system. There are plenty of examples of those.

Marriott limiting points advance reservations to only 3 is an example of Marriott trying to rein in those speculative award bookings. While that may seem less fair to people without sufficient points, it is more fair and helpful to all those with sufficient points who otherwise might have awards blocked.

What they are doing by not allowing members to lock in the price when using one of their three price advance bookings is discouraging members like the junior lawyer in keyser's example from relying on Marriott when planning their vacations as they don't know what the price will be for the award when they have the points saved up.
Anyone who doesn't have the sufficient points for any award booking STILL has the privilege to book such awards even now with this new Marriott policy They just have to plan now for the peak pricing to be sure.

That's still a lot better than not having the privilege to book awards with not enough points in the first place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.