Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Peak and off peak Awards (General Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Peak and off peak Awards (General Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2019, 6:11 am

gaming the system in the above to me is booking up and speculating for a potential future stay via points advance, which is now limited to certain number of bookings using the points advance feature coming up.

gaming the system is not really booking revenue stays to lock in the rate and then cancel as plans are locked in.

marriott has now made it so points advance locks in the availability but not the point value which means points advance reservation can no longer abused (especially when categories change), which I partially agree.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by myperks
gaming the system in the above to me is booking up and speculating for a potential future stay via points advance, which is now limited to certain number of bookings using the points advance feature coming up.

gaming the system is not really booking revenue stays to lock in the rate and then cancel as plans are locked in.

marriott has now made it so points advance locks in the availability but not the point value which means points advance reservation can no longer abused (especially when categories change), which I partially agree.
i've never used points advance & i don't think i ever will, so my knowledge is extremely limited in this regard as to how people are using this feature to game the system....but in my opinion, if someone makes a points advance reservation then they probably have plans to stay at that property at that time....i make award reservations often that i end up cancelling....not because i was trying to game the system but because plans change or i get a better deal somewhere else....
Old Aug 19, 2019, 7:12 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Not sure if the recent discussions have anything to do with peak vs off peaking booking. More of general booking and advanced booking questions.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by RedSun
Not sure if the recent discussions have anything to do with peak vs off peaking booking. More of general booking and advanced booking questions.
it does actually....the discussion has been about how someone with a points advance booking may be asked to pay a higher rate because of peak awards....
Old Aug 19, 2019, 7:33 am
Suspended

With the new PA booking, it doesn’t lock in point rate. Do I miss anything?

There is another thread on point advance booking.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.

No, it only reserves the dates. You are correct that the amount of points needed may change between the date you make a PA reservation and the date your points are deducted from your account.

Last edited by rny321; Aug 19, 2019 at 11:09 am
Old Aug 19, 2019, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

no it doesn't....if the hotel or marriott decide that you stay dates are peak award dates then you would have to pay the higher peak rate, even if you booked at the standard rate....
Old Aug 19, 2019, 11:10 am
Suspended

So we all saying the same thing. The only “game” here is the PA booking for the last few days. We all just guessing where the peak is other than the obvious ones such as ski and beach resorts.

Do we know if Marriott allows us to keep more than 3 PA bookings after 9/14?

Old Aug 19, 2019, 11:34 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by myperks

+1000
Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:13 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV

There is. But there is a specific aspect of Points Advance which is a very specific to the Peak/Off-Peak implementation.

This.

Originally Posted by rny321
No, it only reserves the dates. You are correct that the amount of points needed may change between the date you make a PA reservation and the date your points are deducted from your account.
Originally Posted by Keyser
no it doesn't....if the hotel or marriott decide that you stay dates are peak award dates then you would have to pay the higher peak rate, even if you booked at the standard rate....
This is a really big deal. Many people are going to have a rude awakening when they finally saved up the points of that Christmas stay, spring break stay, Golden Week stay, only to find out that Marriott moved their cheese and the price has gone up to peak rates. It is going to spoil people’s vacations and drive ill will.
Marykatesmom likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:40 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by yosithezet
This is a really big deal. Many people are going to have a rude awakening when they finally saved up the points of that Christmas stay, spring break stay, Golden Week stay, only to find out that Marriott moved their cheese and the price has gone up to peak rates. It is going to spoil people’s vacations and drive ill will.
I don’t think so. On the contrary, anyone booking after Sept 14 and into perpetuity from that point forward any points advance award reservations over any of those obviously highest occupancy periods is going to book originally at peak rates. So there’s no rude awakening or even another kind of awakening! And the rates are going to stay at peak rates.

Anyone booking before Sept 14 any points advance standard award reservations over any of those obviously highest occupancy periods who isn’t already expecting those to change immediately on Sept 14 to peak awards is kidding themselves. That isn’t a rude awakening. That’s a reality check.

Also, I prefer people who actually have saved up for their peak awards at those periods to get first crack than those who haven’t. So I think Marriott is doing the fair thing here.

Last edited by yosithezet; Aug 19, 2019 at 9:54 pm Reason: Removed FlyerTalk Rule 18 violation
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Funny it is still called "Points Advance!" Shouldn't it be a "Nights Advance Reservation?" If you want to confirm a room before you have the points, expect to pay the peak points rates. If it is lower at settlement, consider it a bonus.

One simple solution is to terminate points/nights advance completely, then Members with big stashes can't hold 3 reservations when they intend to only use one.

James
unclepants and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Funny it is still called "Points Advance!" Shouldn't it be a "Nights Advance Reservation?" If you want to confirm a room before you have the points, expect to pay the peak points rates. If it is lower at settlement, consider it a bonus.

One simple solution is to terminate points/nights advance completely, then Members with big stashes can't hold 3 reservations when they intend to only use one.

James
i think you have it flipped. Members with big stashes can hold as many reservations as available if their balances allow, even after the change. Members without the big stashes will no longer be able to hold more than certain number of points advance reservation and are subject to then current pricing (peak or standard or non peak) at the time of certificate attachment.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 8:15 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by Keyser
sure they can....as long as the rate doesn't change....under normal circumstances, once you book, the rate is locked in....then it doesn't matter what the rate changes to....you only pay the rate you have booked....

if the rate changes before you book then you will obviously have to pay the higher rate....

but that's not the case here....what marriott is saying is that even if you booked a points advance rate for 50,000, there is no guarantee that you would get that rate....even if that is the rate available when you book....if they decide to change the rate after you have booked then you will have to pay the higher 60,000 rate....

the reason people book in advance is to lock in a lower rate....i already have a confirmed cash booking for next may....i am traveling for a family wedding & the dates are fixed so i booked 3 rooms for my family & me 9 months in advance because i'm getting a very good rate at that hotel right now....there is a good chance that the closer you get to may, the higher the hotel rate would be....but i won't have to pay the higher rate since i booked in advance....would you call this gaming the system????
are we talking about peak vs off-peak or point advance? I am talking about dynamic peak price.

The title of the thread is about peak and off peak....

I digress.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by freed0m
are we talking about peak vs off-peak or point advance? I am talking about dynamic peak price.
I digress.
You are arguing against "gaming the system". But your argument doesn't make sense.
Keyser likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.