Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Peak and off peak Awards (General Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Peak and off peak Awards (General Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by kaizen7
Interesting about peak/off peak adjusted monthly.

What would happen if a member book far in advance, and the rate on said date is off peak and then closer to the date, the rate was adjusted and become peak. Will the booked rate stays?

And also how can Marriott balance the peak/off peak rate? Based on number of days? Say 180days peak 180 days off peak with 5 days standard?
If certs attached, they will be honored.

If points advance, then you'll need the higher points.

After September, points advance bookings reserve the room but not the points rate. See the points advance thread for details.
kaizen7 likes this.

Last edited by swag; Aug 15, 2019 at 10:13 am
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by rrgg
Please let us pay the difference in points when redeeming a 35k or 50k free night certificate, up to one category. The latest change slices off a huge number of available properties otherwise.
Better yet...just give us the 35k (or 50k) points annually instead of the certificates! This however is NOT going to happen because putting all the other restrictions on it makes it more likely that people will not use the certificates or use for lower priced properties than if they dolled out the points. Most of the big hotel chains give you the certificates like Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt and IHG but Radisson gives you 40k a year you can bank and use for higher cost redemptions.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:17 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Now look at Marriott's reward chart.

With the 35k award night, it is Cat-5 now. But after the change, you can only book Cat-5 std, off-peak and Cat-4. Only downgrade (10k), no upgrade.

With the 50k award night, it is Cat-6 now. With the change, you have limited opportunity to upgrade to Cat-7 off-peak (10k pickup). But lose 15k with downgrade to Cat-5 (35k).

Marriott should really keep the award night as category night, not point night. If Marriott wants to turn it into point awards, then give us the points. Do not force us to fill your vacancy over your low demand off seasons. This change is a two-edged sword of taking away the category, then jack up the peak season prices and render those award nights worth less or worthless.

The point awards are subject to Marriott's category and peak/offpeak manipulations. Essentially Marriott is free to do whatever it wants to prevent members to use the award nights and steal value from them. This is not a good business practice.

Last edited by RedSun; Aug 15, 2019 at 10:29 am Reason: addition
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by christianj
Better yet...just give us the 35k (or 50k) points annually instead of the certificates! This however is NOT going to happen because putting all the other restrictions on it makes it more likely that people will not use the certificates or use for lower priced properties than if they dolled out the points. Most of the big hotel chains give you the certificates like Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt and IHG but Radisson gives you 40k a year you can bank and use for higher cost redemptions.
Yes, points would be better, but I know they won't do that. Expiring certificates creates incentive to spend.

I'm trying to make a reasonable request, which is why I suggested limiting the top-off to one category. Consider for example that during peak periods, there's not even a 50k level. You're guaranteed to spend a 50k certificate at a property costing 40k or less.
ExArkie likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:48 am
Suspended

Now do the math. The mid level Bonvoy credit cards have $99 annual fee. The AmEx business card AF will raise to $129(?) in a few months. On the surface, the 35k award nights are worth the AFs. But with the peak/offpeak change, they are essentially 25k award nights. And they are subject to 12-month expiration and can be wasted. All those cards have earn 2x with general spending. So those cards are not daily drivers. There is no upside to get to Platinum level. So what value do we get from holding those credit cards and stay with Marriott?

Also, almost none of us (FT) want to take our family to the middle of nowhere of those Cat-4 properties during summer or holiday seasons. Not sure even the $99 AF is worth this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 11:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by christianj
How can you even support this when you don't even know what off-peak times will mean?
Because my travel is 100% flexible.

And how can you say it's a real problem without knowing the peak dates? It may never affect you at all. SPG had peak days, and I never hit them even when I had a more restrictive schedule.
ExArkie and jakers3200 like this.

Last edited by mahasamatman; Aug 15, 2019 at 11:18 am
Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:03 pm

Just upgrade the credit card certs to 40k (like the 75 night elite gift option), and people would be happy.

Who am I kidding, it's clearly intentional
Tanic likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Marriott, IHG
Well I guess that’s the end of any rewards booking that's anywhere near 1cpp.

Yes we knew this was coming but logically the peak/normal/off peak would be distributed over the hotels calendar not the entire portfolio of Marriott properties. That make the comments by Marriott about how much will be effected a joke.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:17 pm
Suspended

This is another very unpopular Marriott change that making no sense at all. The impact is very profound.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by crimsona
Just upgrade the credit card certs to 40k.
Or make the certs immune from peak/off-peak.

people would be happy.
You must not have been on FT long. Nothing makes people happy here.

Who am I kidding, it's clearly intentional
Or a "happy accident" (from Marriott's point of view).
Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Screw those selfish DYKWIA employer-funded travelers who snitched and whined to Marriott to limit our points advance bookings because they think us riff raff travel hackers are stealing their inventory and devaluating their status
cyclefanatic83 and MarkOK like this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Screw those selfish DYKWIA employer-funded travelers who snitched and whined to Marriott to limit our points advance bookings because they think us riff raff travel hackers are stealing their inventory and devaluating their status
I believe this is how Marriott handled points advance reservation when the Category changes.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 3:38 pm
formerly smoaky

Someone explain why this is wrong but....

Because the peak/off peak/standard division is spread across all properties, this essentially functions as dynamic pricing at any property you really would want to stay at. When it costs more, you will pay more points, when -- if ever -- it costs less, you may pay fewer points or the standard rate. So even the idea that you can benefit if you travel off-peak doesn't exactly hold water because you might consider booking with cash on those dates anyway. Bottom line is you are, on average, guaranteed to get less value for your certificates than before. There is simply no other way to look at it as far as I can tell. And given the annual fees are now creeping above $100, I see no reason to keep any Bonvoy credit card.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 5:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by Ripley62

I believe this is how Marriott handled points advance reservation when the Category changes.
I'm talking about the new limit of 3 active points advance reservations per account that will take effect from September 14
Old Aug 15, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Dear Marriott, do you know when your membership program is FUBAR? When it is so convoluted that you have to publish Youtube videos to explain it, like you did today.

Originally Posted by smoaky
Someone explain why this is wrong but....

Because the peak/off peak/standard division is spread across all properties, this essentially functions as dynamic pricing at any property you really would want to stay at. When it costs more, you will pay more points, when -- if ever -- it costs less, you may pay fewer points or the standard rate.
True, but Marriott has said they are only going to update the peak/off peak nights once a month, so it is not dynamic like Hilton's pricing, which devalues in real time as the cash rate changes.

Although this is spread across all properties so it could turn out to be a huge devaluation, I'm guessing Marriott won't use it that way. If Marriott wants to charge more points for a hotel, they'll simply move the hotel to a higher category. Marriott has not been shy about moving hotels to higher categories.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.