Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Peak and off peak Awards (General Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Peak and off peak Awards (General Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Kacee
Wow what a fabulous, customer-friendly enhancement.
It is for those of us who travel during off-peak periods!

Originally Posted by christianj
In NYC this eliminates 50 properties from the 35k free night certificates during PEAK times! If this isn't enough to upset people I don't know what is.
It's perfectly fine for those of us who (a) frequently travel during off-peak times, and (b) would only set foot in New York City at gunpoint.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
My wife and I are one year away from being able to travel during off-peak periods and we will be traveling more with just the 2 of us and not the kids. We are really looking forward to being able to travel when school is in session to get better deals and less crowds.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Ok, i am a tad confused. I just checked a hotel in Europe for June and it is showing the points for the current category. Are we only finding out what dates are peak/off peak in September? Basically we need to book now to protect the current rate if the dates I want may become peak.

How will this effect 7 night certs? i guess all nights have to be at the standard rate? This could suck if weekends at a property tend to go to peak pricing and are no longer in the category of the 7 night cert.

Last edited by cruisr; Aug 15, 2019 at 9:29 am Reason: Additional question
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!

It's perfectly fine for those of us who (a) frequently travel during off-peak times, and (b) would only set foot in New York City at gunpoint.
This optimism, even for travelers of your profile, is not supported by Marriott's recent behavior.
Kacee likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by cruisr
Ok, i am a tad confused. I just checked a hotel in Europe for June and it is showing the points for the current category. Are we only finding out what dates are peak/off peak in September? Basically we need to book now to protect the current rate if the dates I want may become peak.

Correct!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl

How can you even support this when you don't even know what off-peak times will mean? I was using NYC as an example since it is a large city...travel where you want to and when you want to but this is not a positive move by Marriott for consumers.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:37 am

This will really sting. Can’t imagine if my normal go-to places are running at off-peak and or standard at the times I go. Seems like off peak will be similar to the PointSavers before with little or no dates available, but would gladly be called wrong on this.
Tedyuscung likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Don't worry, there will be a 'balance' between off-peak and peak... meaning that anyplace you want to go will be peak, and that will be offset with a similar number of off-peak hotels that are in ultra-low season in the middle of nowhere.

My expectation - If its near a coast, island, park, recreation area, its going to be peak in the summer. Off-peak will be the midwest in Jan-Feb.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
Marriott told us the Peak/Off-Peak award point pricing structures were coming. Strange if anyone is surprised. There are some new devaluations, such as "Stay 5, Pay 4". Marriott tried to add transparency to their opacity by stating that Peak/Standard/Off-Peak pricing will be adjusted monthly. I have my popcorn ready for September 14.
Tedyuscung, ExArkie and ryw like this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
This is an amazing piece of sophistry, even by Marriott standards.
Originally Posted by Marriott Bonvoy Lurker
If the hotel you're interested in is above 35,000 points during peak time, you may have to .... find a hotel that is 35,000 points or less per night.
You can totally still use your certificate at the hotel it was valid for ... except when you can't, in which case you can must choose lower category hotel somewhere else.
goodeats21, Tedyuscung and bizum like this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by ksucats
My wife and I are one year away from being able to travel during off-peak periods and we will be traveling more with just the 2 of us and not the kids. We are really looking forward to being able to travel when school is in session to get better deals and less crowds.
It's terrific to be able to travel without constraints around school schedules, work vacation, or holidays.

But you're still affected by seasons. You can only ski when the lifts are running. You can only swim at the beach when the water is warm. You can only attend a festival or event in the days that it's running.

And you can bet that all these will be peak rates.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Interesting about peak/off peak adjusted monthly.

What would happen if a member book far in advance, and the rate on said date is off peak and then closer to the date, the rate was adjusted and become peak. Will the booked rate stays?

And also how can Marriott balance the peak/off peak rate? Based on number of days? Say 180days peak 180 days off peak with 5 days standard?
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by swag
But you're still affected by seasons. You can only ski when the lifts are running. You can only swim at the beach when the water is warm. You can only attend a festival or event in the days that it's running.

And you can bet that all these will be peak rates.
This. But I'm sure you can get some great off-peak deals during moonsoon flood season in Asia or Africa. Or Jan-Feb in northern Siberia.

BONVOY'D
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by conde
Marriott told us the Peak/Off-Peak award point pricing structures were coming. Strange if anyone is surprised. There are some new devaluations, such as "Stay 5, Pay 4". Marriott tried to add transparency to their opacity by stating that Peak/Standard/Off-Peak pricing will be adjusted monthly. I have my popcorn ready for September 14.
Not surprised. Just unhappy.

Personally, I have two 35K certs that will be issued in November, and I'd hoped to attach those before the peak rates started, for a cat5 booking next summer.
christianj likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Marriott Bonvoy Lurker
Soon you’ll be able to redeem your points for free nights with the introduction of Off-Peak and Peak rates – adding to the current Standard redemption rates we have today.
Please let us pay the difference in points when redeeming a 35k or 50k free night certificate, up to one category. The latest change slices off a huge number of available properties otherwise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.