Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Peak and off peak Awards (General Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Peak and off peak Awards (General Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:30 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Since most families travel during peak periods, this peak and off-peak change would be another rate hike or Marriott point devaluation.

You can make peak, standard and off-peak evenly divided 1/3 each. But the off peak rooms will likely stay empty even with the off-peak rates. The net effect is that after the change, members pay overall higher rates for all the rooms booked.

This is not a balanced approach...
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, DL DM
Originally Posted by rylan
Prepare for significant point inflation/devaluation with this... expect widespread peak along all coasts and cities, with off peak being at places like Siberia in winter.
Wouldn't it be better for Marriott to move hotels up a category and then have a large number of "off-peak" days?
Under your scenario everyone feels they are getting screwed, under mine people are paying more points but feel they are getting a deal.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by KingBraden
Under your scenario everyone feels they are getting screwed, under mine people are paying more points but feel they are getting a deal.
You trying to get a job in the Marriott Bonvoy Marketing Department? I think in the past things like that have been called program "enhancements" which we all know are just the opposite.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
H/T to Gary at VFTW on some sneaky language:

Peak and Off Peak Dates Will Be Balanced
When Marriott first announced the new program Senior Vice President David Flueck told me, “We’ll make sure there’s a lot of equity in a market, in general roughly the same number of peak nights as off peak nights.”

They say that’s still true.. although there’s a qualifier. There will be more standard pricing dates than peak and off peak dates, with a fairly even distribution of peak and off peak, however that will only hold across the Marriott hotel portfolio as a whole and not necessarily for each individual property.

So - high demand / resort individual properties are more likely to have an imbalance of peak vs. off-peak
Isn't this in the spirit of supply and demand economics?
ExArkie likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Great if Marriott can maintain the balance of these off peak and peak rates.

Will be good for members who have high degree of flexibility on their travel plan.
jakers3200 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:23 am
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by christianj
@Marriott Bonvoy Lurker....Did we ever get clarification on how the 35k credit card nights were going to be handled with the Peak/Non-Peak award pricing?

Right now the 35k free night certificate gets you a Cat. 5....are we only getting a Cat. 4 for those certificates if the time we want to stay at a property is classified at PEAK moving forward? This would be a devaluation of the 35k certificates!
Hi christianj! The value of the free night awards earned through credit card membership will not be changed, and are still valid up to 35k points. The awards are no longer issued at a category level. This would also allow you to use the same award at a hotel that lowers their point value during off-peak season, regardless of category level. If the hotel you're interested in is above 35,000 points during peak time, you may have to be flexible with your dates of stay or find a hotel that is 35,000 points or less per night. We would also encourage members to book reservations and attach certificates prior to the start of this program to take advantage of current redemption rates.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Marriott Bonvoy Lurker
Hi christianj! The value of the free night awards earned through credit card membership will not be changed, and are still valid up to 35k points. The awards are no longer issued at a category level. This would also allow you to use the same award at a hotel that lowers their point value during off-peak season, regardless of category level. If the hotel you're interested in is above 35,000 points during peak time, you may have to be flexible with your dates of stay or find a hotel that is 35,000 points or less per night. We would also encourage members to book reservations and attach certificates prior to the start of this program to take advantage of current redemption rates.
@Marriott Bonvoy Lurker....your point of being able to use the "same award at hotel that lowers their point value during off-peak season" is a mute point since the Cat. 6 off-peak awards require 40k! So essentially the members with the 35k certificates get #Bonvoyed because they can NEVER be used for a higher category OFF PEAK award! Plus during the PEAK times we have to go down a category. I know you are the messenger but just another example of Marriott devaluing the program.

Last edited by christianj; Aug 15, 2019 at 8:36 am
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:39 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

The value of the free night awards earned through credit card membership will not be changed, and are still valid up to 35k points. The awards are no longer issued at a category level. This would also allow you to use the same award at a hotel that lowers their point value during off-peak season, regardless of category level. If the hotel you're interested in is above 35,000 points during peak time, you may have to be flexible with your dates of stay or find a hotel that is 35,000 points or less per night. We would also encourage members to book reservations and attach certificates prior to the start of this program to take advantage of current redemption rates.
This is exactly what Marriott is doing and members are upset about. Marriott does the annual category changes mainly on demand vs supply. Most of the family friendly and resort type properties near attractions and major cities have already been raised to higher categories, even the low to mid chains such as Courtyard etc. Now with the peak vs off-peak implementation, it will be extremely hard to use those 35k award nights. And those awards can't upgraded. So travelers would have to change the schedules to fit Marriott's supply/demand equations.

This is exactly what is driving away Marriott loyalists. I would certainly cut some of my Marriott credit cards since the annual award nights are worth much less now. The 50k award nights losses even more value.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by christianj
@Marriott Bonvoy Lurker....your point of being able to use the "same award at hotel that lowers their point value during off-peak season" is a mute point since the Cat. 6 off-peak awards require 40k! So essentially the members with the 35k certificates get #Bonvoyed because they can NEVER be used for a higher category OFF PEAK award! Plus during the PEAK times we have to go down a category. I know you are the messenger but just another example of Marriott devaluing the program.
Yep Im 1 LTT that wont be spending another dime at any Marriott property. Seems Marriott felt bad leaving Hilton on the bottom of the barrel and decided to join them so they will have company. How they quickly forget what it was like bet 2000 - 2009 where they were begging for folks to stay at any of their hotels.

But Hilton still wins out I recently was looking at a Hampton Inn my choice spend $79+tx or 50k, Marriott will be there as well in no time. There was a Holiday Inn not far away for $79 and hats where I went. I will eventually use up all my Hilton and now Marriott pts but not at rip-off amounts
christianj and wonghenhen like this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Death by a thousand... gashes to the head with a pick-axe.
Tanic, alexj7 and flying_geek like this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Ugh, the sky isn't falling, and this was somewhat expected, but I'd rather the hotel just didn't show points availability during peak periods rather than the exorbitant Peak rates (which I'd never use Bonvoy points for). Boooo...
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
With points advance, are we saying that existing PA bookings must be settled by 14/9 to benefit from the locked in rate, or is it new bookings only? I assume former.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Soon you’ll be able to redeem your points for free nights with the introduction of Off-Peak and Peak rates – adding to the current Standard redemption rates we have today.
Wow what a fabulous, customer-friendly enhancement.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Actually that is a good marketing move for consumer psychology. You'd see a 'discount' even though the base price is inflated. Otherwise what we're going to see is basically a 'surcharge' which nobody likes... kind of akin to the 'destination fees'
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:12 am

In NYC this eliminates 50 properties from the 35k free night certificates during PEAK times! If this isn't enough to upset people I don't know what is. We are then left with 13 properties vs the 63 we have today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.