FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Peak and off peak Awards (General Discussion) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1941831-peak-off-peak-awards-general-discussion.html)

Jared Ito Nov 22, 2018 7:33 pm

Peak and off peak Awards (General Discussion)

I believe that off peak and peak levels for many , most or all of the hotels some time in December. Two questions:

1. Is it likely that marriot will allow bookings at the peak free level for at least a few days after they announce the new award levels?

2. Can I book a few nights on points at current levels, and add free night certificates later? There are at least a couple of certificates that I am either due or anticipate receiving soon, which work at current levels and won’t work at peak levels.

Also , I have some 7 night certificates from the old travel packages. Travel is planned far in advance, but I might have to change the plans later due to serious personal or family health situations. If I have an additional points booking at the number of points for peak free , I would hope that I could move the certificate from the travel package from one reservation to the other.

thank you

CPRich Nov 22, 2018 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Jared Ito (Post 30457732)
1. Is it likely that marriot will allow bookings at the peak free level for at least a few days after they announce the new award levels?

Can you clarify? You want to book at the peak level before peak rates are in effect? I'd suggest booking at current rates before peak rates make it more expensive.

Originally Posted by Jared Ito (Post 30457732)
2. Can I book a few nights on points at current levels, and add free night certificates later? There are at least a couple of certificates that I am either due or anticipate receiving soon, which work at current levels and won’t work at peak levels.

You can book at the rates that are valid with the certificate. I doubt you can book a rate that's not valid just because you've booked other nights.

craigthemif Nov 22, 2018 8:42 pm

Travel Packages are category-based, so should work on peak dates as well with no additional charge.

For other certificates that are points-based, you can book those now, but changes in 2019 should be subject to the rules applying then.

Jared Ito Nov 22, 2018 8:53 pm

Very helpful thank you.

Doesn’t seem to be the most complicated thing out there, but I may have a follow up question later

shawneve Dec 2, 2018 11:08 am

Peak/OffPeak Rates - no info until in effect?

My understanding is that the Peak Off-Peak chart comes into effect in the new year, with Standard rates in effect until then.
Does anyone know if they will actually release information on the actual new rates BEFORE (at least a little) they are in full effect?
Seems silly to have to book speculative reservations in case the property is Peak during your stay.
Wonder if they will even release a 'set' chart for a property or will it be dynamic - eg a period may start off-peak, and then they get above a certain occupancy and then they start charging peak rates.
You would hope that Marriott enforces a minimum amount of off-peak days for properties to adhere to.

theplayer Dec 14, 2018 2:42 pm

Off peak booking

If I book now for a hotel that is decreasing in points in 2019(off peak), will I get refunded the point difference? I assume I will have to call in, or perhaps just cancel and rebook in Jan?
I want to get it booked now just in case it fills.

flyou10 Jan 23, 2019 9:15 am

New “Peak / Off Peak” Rewards?

I’m sure I know the answer, but I haven’t officially heard anywhere.

Is Marriott going to limit each hotel to a set number of “peak” nights per year. Such as you can only have 150 nights a year be peak. Or for every “peak” night you must have an “off peak” night in a calendar year.

I would be be amazed of they do. I just don’t see what will keep a hotel from me 100% peak all year.

MD/DC Flyer Jan 23, 2019 10:34 am

As far as I understand it - it would be based on averages over the last 2-3 years and will be done centrally. It will not be really up to the hotel to decide.

hnewman Jan 23, 2019 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer (Post 30691002)
As far as I understand it - it would be based on averages over the last 2-3 years and will be done centrally. It will not be really up to the hotel to decide.

Any ideas what happens for a hotel that has been under renovation for 3 years? We hear the Marriott Curacao is going to reopen this year.

craigthemif Jan 23, 2019 3:45 pm

I have little doubt that "off-peak" will only apply to nights that were already so cheap that you probably would have paid cash anyhow...

And since Marriott has long been so fond of "category creep" devaluations, peak pricing is simply another way of accomplishing this.

dcstudent Jan 23, 2019 3:57 pm

I just hope they only add Peak/Off Peak in March, and don't also increase categories on a large number of hotels as a double devaluation.

I totally expect most hotels in major cities/major resort areas to have at least a 3rd of the year as "Peak"

rylan Jan 23, 2019 4:50 pm

I'd only expect this to lead to points devaluation as mentioned. Basically, anyplace you want to go at a time you want to go will end up being peak, and they'll have off peak at areas like the the northern plains during the winter or Sept in Caribbean for hurricanes because nobody wants to go there then.

Strickymartin Feb 19, 2019 3:43 pm

Marriott peak

Hello, new here. Any definite date on when peak/off peak rates are coming? Thanks.

CLEguy Feb 19, 2019 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Strickymartin (Post 30798857)
Hello, new here. Any definite date on when peak/off peak rates are coming? Thanks.

Welcome to Flyertalk! New award rates kick in March 5, but the date for peak and off-peak pricing to take effect is still unknown.

SkiAdcock Feb 19, 2019 8:27 pm

Heard a rumor late Q2/early Q3, but no idea if it's true.

Cheers.