Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Point Advance Reservations General Discussion Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 24, 20, 5:11 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RedSun
Wiki Link
Effective 14 Sept 2019 from VFTW:

Points advance locks in the room not the rate.

Effective September 14 pricing that will apply to points advance bookings will be the current price at the time the member actually redeems points to cover the reservation. This will no longer be a way to lock in current pricing on the if-come. And with high season dates, which can change each month, the price of the room may vary up until the time of redemption.

Marriott tells me that for reservations made prior to September 14 they will honor up to 5 points advance bookings at the standard rate even if those reservations fall on a peak date.

From Marriott email:
Starting September 14, You will be permitted a maximum of three Points Advance reservations at any time
Before September 14, please take the following steps to reduce your Points Advance reservations to adhere to the upcoming policy.
Cancel any remaining Points Advance reservations or convert them to a paid rate.
If you’re unable to complete this before September 14, we’ll contact you at the phone number listed in your account to help you resolve any excess reservations.
For Points Advance reservation(s) made before September 14 only: When you redeem, if any night has a Peak rate, call us and we’ll adjust the night to its Standard rate. If you need to change your reservation, you’ll receive the available redemption rate when you rebook
As a reminder, any reservations booked with points made prior to today will remain at the reserved Standard redemption rate. However, if you need to change that reservation, you may see a new redemption rate when you rebook. If the hotel you booked moves into Off-Peak, you can rebook at the new, lower redemption rate and then cancel the original reservation (standard cancellation time periods apply).

Maximum of 3 Points Advance bookings at a time
Marriott will be updating their terms to limit members to three points advance bookings at a time. Expect to hear from Marriott if you make a bunch of points advance reservations.
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 2, 19, 9:13 pm
kkl
Original Poster

Just had 6 point advance redemptions automatically deduct the required points.

This affected Autograph and St Regis and Courtyard hotels. 40-60 days out
Old Jan 2, 19, 9:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
If you have the points, what's the problem?
Old Jan 2, 19, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
This BS happened to me this summer at an Auto...there is a thread for it somewhere
Old Jan 2, 19, 10:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Premier Silver
Meanwhile I'm trying to order the certificate for a points advance in April and it won't let me.
Old Jan 3, 19, 7:05 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Points disappeared

So 1m+ points just disappeared to my account. Anyone else has this happen to them? There's nothing into my account activity to say why/how it disappeared..
Old Jan 3, 19, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
call ... asap. 1+M points is not just a small correction (which they sometimes run) to correct an error they made that was in your favor.
Old Jan 3, 19, 7:09 pm

Do you have any points advance reservations? Marriott has been randomly ordering certificates for them way in advance, and in true Marriott fashion you probably won't get any activity log listings for it. Check your reservations.
Old Jan 3, 19, 7:23 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by nexusCFX View Post
Do you have any points advance reservations? Marriott has been randomly ordering certificates for them way in advance, and in true Marriott fashion you probably won't get any activity log listings for it. Check your reservations.
I do have a ton of those. How do I know which ones had the certificates ordered? There’s nothing in the activity logs to show points were deducted.
Old Jan 3, 19, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by rooivalk View Post

I do have a ton of those. How do I know which ones had the certificates ordered? There’s nothing in the activity logs to show points were deducted.
Go to them. They won't have the point advance banner at the top now. Instead they'll say "This reservation has e-certificates". I would start from the soonest one since it did it to me and picked the reservation happening nearest in the future.
Old Jan 3, 19, 7:36 pm
kkl
Original Poster

Yup happened to me yesterday. Points been deducted for points advance.

just edit each booking and click points advance option again
emag_eh7 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 19, 7:48 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXPPLT, United 1K, *wood PLT, Delta Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest A-list
Same thing happened to me for trips inJanuary and March. Honestly I am fine w points being deducted for trips coming up anyways. Something I won’t forget about.
Old Jan 3, 19, 8:05 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I always liked the SPG way of deducting points as soon as you made an award reservation. I've never understood the MR thing about attaching certificates to the reservation.
karenkay and Halo117 like this.
Old Jan 3, 19, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I always liked the SPG way of deducting points as soon as you made an award reservation. I've never understood the MR thing about attaching certificates to the reservation.
You can choose to deduct at the time of booking if you want. Points Advance is incredibly useful. For example, I have bookings near the end of the year that I anticipate I will use two 50k certificates from credit cards to pay for. I don't have those now, and I certainly cannot just allocate 100k points in the meantime since I need points for other bookings happening more imminently. It's better for me in terms of securing more points bookings far out if others choose to only book if they have the points on hand, so I'm totally in support of that.
Old Jan 3, 19, 8:12 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's better for me if no one is allowed to make an award reservation until they have the points in their account. Speculative reservations and those made far in advance can kill award availability for the rest of us. Airlines generally wouldn't issue an award ticket or hold a reservation for one for very long if the miles aren't actually in the FF account.
dgreen12, kilo, RobOnLI and 9 others like this.
Old Jan 3, 19, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
True. And every time I read a thread about Marriott allowing you to deduct the points later makes me scratch my head. I'm a Marriott person and rarely stayed at SPG until the merger. Whenever I booked an award room through Marriott the points were deducted immediately and the cert sent to the hotel.

-RM

Search this Thread
Search Engine: