Travel Package General Discussion Thread

    Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 2, 19, 10:14 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Counsellor
Wiki Link
LINK TO CHART


Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2018)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

When converting your legacy certificate to a new certificate your prior certificate is cancelled and your new certificate will (in most cases) have an expiration date that is 12 months from the date of issuance (today).

The codes for the New Category partial packages are:
5-night packages
  • OC5=530T/P530 is now NC4 QP53
  • OC6=570T/P570 is now NC4 QP53
  • OC7=610T/P610 is now NC5 QP61 (refund value: 45K)
  • OC8=650T/P650 is now NC5 QP?? (Refund value: 75k)
  • OC9=690T/P690 is now NC6 QP69
7-night packages
  • NC4 QP83 = OC5 830T/P830 (refund value: 45K)
  • NC4 QP87 = OC6 870T/P870 (refund value: 75K)
  • NC5 QP91 = OC7 910T/P910 (refund value: 105K)
  • NC5 QP95 = OC8 950T/P950 (refund value: 135K)
  • NC6 QP99 = OC9 990T/P990 (refund value: 165K)
  • NC6 QP99 = OC Tier 1-3 L830 (refund value: 195K)
  • NC7 QL87 = OC Tier 4-5 L870 (refund value: 315K)
Other 7-night packages
  • NC5 QP88 = OC7 P880 (refund value: 135K)
  • NC5 QP92 = OC8 P920 (refund value: 165K)
legend:
NCx = new certificate category
QPxx = post-merger converted partial package
OCx = old certificate category
QLxx = post-merger converted partial package (only QL known so far is QL87 for NC7)
xx0T = initial package;
Pxx0 = partial package;

************************************************** *******

MARRIOT UK: +44 20 7012 7312

For best practices on converting OC to NC, I’ve copied post # 1181 here. Thank you jameswes!


(Also, never use the word UPGRADE. You must say you want to CONVERT your certs.)

New data point for the new year.

I've read/followed the majority of this thread and now that I have a plan for how to use the travel certificates I made it happen

Last July, I purchased two OC1-5 travel packages. I have an upcoming trip that I wanted to use the certificates to book two rooms at an NC5 hotel.

1) Verified that I had an extra 120,000 MR points in my account (2x60,000 to upgrade from NC4 to NC5)
2) Call the UK Marriott # in the wiki (+44 20 7012 7312). In total, the call took about 25 minutes.
3) Explain that I have a booking I wanted to make, and I wanted to Cancel my two 830T certificates and convert them to two QP91 certificates. I did need to be clear with the rep that I was going to be using additional points from my account to upgrade the certificate.
Canceling two 830T (OC1-5) added 90,000 points (2x45000) to my account
Ordering two QP91 (NC5) subtracted 210,000 points (2x105K) from my account
4) The rep said that their "specialist" wasn't in the office, but she would leave detailed notes and have him do it the next day
5) True to form, the next day (today), I got an emails saying that my old certificates were canceled and new certificates were ordered.
Email clearly states that 830T certs were canceled
Second email clearly states that QP91 certs were ordered and 210K points were redeemed
Email (and account) state that the expiration is one year from today
As typical, App is up-to-date, website doesn't show the updated information yet.
IMPORTANT! Possible Points Advance Implications of March 5 category changes: There’s a (potential) issue with the category changes and Points Advance reservations. Marriott included the following information when they emailed some of us about the upcoming changes: “Points Advance — Members who wish to book a points advance redemption under the current Marriott Rewards and SPG award chart are encouraged to order redemption certificates before March 5 to lock in the rate. On March 5, redemption bookings are subject to the new unified program award chart.” We’ve reached out to Marriott to confirm the practical implications of this verbiage, as it sounds like Points Advance reservations will revert to the new pricing if they don’t have certificates attached prior to March 5. To be on the safe side, if your hotel is increasing in category be sure your TP certificate is attached to the reservation before March 5.

Concerning use of TP for peak or off-peak, see post 2179:

Originally Posted by Marriott Bonvoy Lurker View Post
The new award redemption chart will not impact Travel Packages. After these changes go into effect, you'll be able to book a hotel within the category assigned to your Travel Package, regardless of whether the dates at the hotel are in off-peak, standard or peak rates.
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 12, 19, 9:33 am
  #2131  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1P, AS MVP, WN CP; MR Ti, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, RR Au
Posts: 4,860
Speaking of converting old OC's... I called this weekend on the expiration day for an OC5 and an OC6. For what it's worth...

The first rep immediately qualified herself out, told me she had no clue what to do, and forwarded me to an "elite rep".

Took that rep about 10 minutes to deal with everything. I had NOT downgraded the OC6 in advance and the rep had never heard of the 30k point difference but once she got into the system that holds old certs, a procedure popped up to tell her the 30k difference would automatically show up in my account and that there was no process needed to make it happen.

A few minutes after the call, my account showed two NC4 certs with a fresh year of expiration, and activity of +120k from the canceled certs then -90k for the new certs, netting the +30k differential.

So in these final days, it seems everything is a very smooth process now.....
MDtR-Chicago is offline  
Old Aug 12, 19, 2:31 pm
  #2132  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2
I had a 7 night travel cert for Marriott Cat 1 to 5 and it was expiring. I spoke to Marriott after the merger and they gave me a new certificate - It says 7 Night Partial package category 5 with Reward code QP91 and total points redeemed 105K.
How do I use this certifcate? Whenever I have tried calling Marriott to book any of the hotels in Cancun or anything , they say either it is not available or they are unable to book it . I am trying to use only 4 or 5 nights of the package and let the other nights go for a waste. How is anyone successful in booking and which resorts or hotels are they booking . What do I need to call up Marriott and tell them ? Do I need to tell them my reward code etc? I also need this certificate extended. Will they do it now?

Thanks
aps75 is offline  
Old Aug 12, 19, 4:36 pm
  #2133  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Orleans, LA
Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 232
I have a OC9 TP expiring next weekend. I'm trying to decide what to do with it. I have no plans at the moment. This TP becomes a Category 6 which is 50k points per night? I have never stayed at one hotel for 7 consecutive nights, so to me, the way I look at it is. the certificate is worth 5 nights, which would be ideal. On a 4 night redemption, the fifth night is free? So to me, the value of the TP is 4 x 50,000 = 200,000. Whereas, if I can cancel the TP, I should be able to get 165k back in my account. Bottom line is that if I only plan to stay 5 nights, the true upside of the TP is 35k points. However, if I convert the TP to NC6 and I can't use it or find availability within the next year, I'm out of luck.

Is my reasoning out of whack?
tormapleaf is offline  
Old Aug 12, 19, 4:54 pm
  #2134  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Posts: 4,187
Just asking for confirmation or clarification:
Several months ago someone (Happy maybe?) told me about KM6115 directive which directs Marriott Bonvoy reps to allow customers to attach their Travel Package hotel certificates to reservations already booked as points reservations at the relevant category even if the hotel has moved up in category or points value since the reservation was made. Today I talked to a Customer Service representative and she said this was not entirely true. When I asked her to look at KM6115 she said that that note says that the reservation must have the 7 night cert attached before the hotel changes in category. She also said that the earliest there would be any future hotel category changes is January. Does this all seem correct in your experience?

Last edited by GrizShel; Aug 12, 19 at 5:03 pm
GrizShel is offline  
Old Aug 12, 19, 4:56 pm
  #2135  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Posts: 4,187
Originally Posted by tormapleaf View Post
I have a OC9 TP expiring next weekend. I'm trying to decide what to do with it. I have no plans at the moment. This TP becomes a Category 6 which is 50k points per night? I have never stayed at one hotel for 7 consecutive nights, so to me, the way I look at it is. the certificate is worth 5 nights, which would be ideal. On a 4 night redemption, the fifth night is free? So to me, the value of the TP is 4 x 50,000 = 200,000. Whereas, if I can cancel the TP, I should be able to get 165k back in my account. Bottom line is that if I only plan to stay 5 nights, the true upside of the TP is 35k points. However, if I convert the TP to NC6 and I can't use it or find availability within the next year, I'm out of luck.

Is my reasoning out of whack?
According to what you said, I would ask myself which I want more: the 5 free hotel nights, or the 165k points to use in the future?
GUWonder and RafKa like this.
GrizShel is offline  
Old Aug 13, 19, 10:01 am
  #2136  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: At an airport-on a cruise ship
Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum Thnks to FT
Posts: 4,195
Converted my 7 night cert (cat 1-5) to the new 7 night cert (cat 1-4) and extended the expiration for another year. Call took all of 4 minutes. What a difference from my experience a few months ago when I converted a certificate as that took forever.
cruisr is offline  
Old Aug 13, 19, 11:35 am
  #2137  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: World
Posts: 1,404
Originally Posted by cruisr View Post
Converted my 7 night cert (cat 1-5) to the new 7 night cert (cat 1-4) and extended the expiration for another year. Call took all of 4 minutes. What a difference from my experience a few months ago when I converted a certificate as that took forever.
Great to hear. Did you call US or UK line?
mster is offline  
Old Aug 13, 19, 12:28 pm
  #2138  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: TUS
Posts: 66
I have a NC4 certificate that is expiring on 9/14/19. It was converted from a OC5 last year (Without really knowing it was converted as I was using another OC5 for a reservation. The agent did that so both certificates have a September 2019 expiration date). I called Marriott several times and got the consistent message that NC cannot be extended and cannot be refunded through points.

Are there ways around it? I plan to use it in October and it sucks I'm only missing the deadline for about 3 weeks.

If this has been answered already I apologize... It's hard to search through all the posts!
aujusco is offline  
Old Aug 13, 19, 12:36 pm
  #2139  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SFO
Posts: 2,498
Originally Posted by aujusco View Post
I have a NC4 certificate that is expiring on 9/14/19. It was converted from a OC5 last year (Without really knowing it was converted as I was using another OC5 for a reservation. The agent did that so both certificates have a September 2019 expiration date). I called Marriott several times and got the consistent message that NC cannot be extended and cannot be refunded through points.

Are there ways around it? I plan to use it in October and it sucks I'm only missing the deadline for about 3 weeks.

If this has been answered already I apologize... It's hard to search through all the posts!
call and say that the new certificates couldn’t be used in the first two months (factual issue last year especially for the SPG properties that came online) so you weren’t able to use it last year. It should be a easy swap but you need to find someone that knows what a travel package certificate is to begin with. I would start by asking if the rep knows about how to reissue certificates in the first place, and then hang up or continue from there.
aujusco likes this.
myperks is offline  
Old Aug 13, 19, 3:41 pm
  #2140  
Suspended
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EWR/PHL/BWI
Posts: 2,576
Originally Posted by aujusco View Post
I have a NC4 certificate that is expiring on 9/14/19. It was converted from a OC5 last year (Without really knowing it was converted as I was using another OC5 for a reservation. The agent did that so both certificates have a September 2019 expiration date). I called Marriott several times and got the consistent message that NC cannot be extended and cannot be refunded through points.

Are there ways around it? I plan to use it in October and it sucks I'm only missing the deadline for about 3 weeks.

If this has been answered already I apologize... It's hard to search through all the posts!
This is the same info I've received from Marriott and something I'm afraid of. A lot people still firmly believe the NC can be extended for another year.

Wish you the best. Let us know what you get.
RedSun is offline  
Old Aug 13, 19, 5:37 pm
  #2141  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SFO
Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver. CLEAR
Posts: 970
Originally Posted by GrizShel View Post
Just asking for confirmation or clarification:
Several months ago someone (Happy maybe?) told me about KM6115 directive which directs Marriott Bonvoy reps to allow customers to attach their Travel Package hotel certificates to reservations already booked as points reservations at the relevant category even if the hotel has moved up in category or points value since the reservation was made. Today I talked to a Customer Service representative and she said this was not entirely true. When I asked her to look at KM6115 she said that that note says that the reservation must have the 7 night cert attached before the hotel changes in category. She also said that the earliest there would be any future hotel category changes is January. Does this all seem correct in your experience?
This is bad news to me. I do not know what KM6115 is but I have read (pint Guy?) specifically said that reservation made before category change without cert attached will be honored at the pre-change category.
What your CSR said makes little sense to me. If a reservation already has a cert attached, the reservation is confirmed and should be honored if you are not making any changes. Why does Marriott need to issue a specific directive? This is similar to price increase after reservation has been confirmed. So I am hoping the document addresses only the situation where the 7 night point reservation did not have a TC attached.
PanAmWT is offline  
Old Aug 13, 19, 5:41 pm
  #2142  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: At an airport-on a cruise ship
Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum Thnks to FT
Posts: 4,195
Originally Posted by mster View Post
Great to hear. Did you call US or UK line?
U.S. line
cruisr is offline  
Old Aug 13, 19, 6:37 pm
  #2143  
Suspended
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EWR/PHL/BWI
Posts: 2,576
Originally Posted by PanAmWT View Post
This is bad news to me. I do not know what KM6115 is but I have read (pint Guy?) specifically said that reservation made before category change without cert attached will be honored at the pre-change category.
What your CSR said makes little sense to me. If a reservation already has a cert attached, the reservation is confirmed and should be honored if you are not making any changes. Why does Marriott need to issue a specific directive? This is similar to price increase after reservation has been confirmed. So I am hoping the document addresses only the situation where the 7 night point reservation did not have a TC attached.
Well, you need to keep notes of two dates, 8/18/2018 and 3/5/2019. 8/18/2018 is the date of RC/SPG/MR merge and it directly impacts the OC TP. Some directives and memos were issued for the OC TPs. But with Marriott 330-day advanced booking, all the advance reservations prior to 8/18/2018 have now expired. All the OC TPs expire this week. So some of the info you quoted (several months ago) do not apply any more.

3/5/2019 is the yearly category change date. It does not directly impact the OC TP. But it complicates matter even more.
RedSun is offline  
Old Aug 13, 19, 8:55 pm
  #2144  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 14
Sorry if this has been asked before but I've got an old Cat 1-5/QP83, converted to a new P830 so should I also be refunded 45k points? Thanks.
mini2 is offline  
Old Aug 14, 19, 2:47 am
  #2145  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto vicinity
Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Posts: 12,221
Originally Posted by mini2 View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before but I've got an old Cat 1-5/QP83, converted to a new P830 so should I also be refunded 45k points? Thanks.
You get 45K pts when you cancel/refund your OC cert. Since you converted it to NC, you don't get any points back.
margarita girl is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread