Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott BRG Best Rate Guarantee (formerly LNF) Success, failure & discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Marriott's Best Rate Guarantee Discussion Thread

This thread is about Marriott's BRG. If you don't know what BRG is - here's the Marriott BRG and here's the claim form.
If you're not satisfied with the outcome of your claim and wish for a second review you may reply back by email or call Marriott's BRG hotline 1-800-771-5665. A human is available at this number beginning at 9 am EST.

If you are new to this, and would like to ask fellow FTers questions regarding BRGs, then this thread is the place to start.

Hotel Name:
Date of stay:
Number of Guests:
Room Type:
Marriott Brand Website Rate:
Competing Rate:
Actual Approved Rate:

Print Wikipost

Marriott BRG Best Rate Guarantee (formerly LNF) Success, failure & discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
I am hoping your correct, I have as usual emailed back to request a supervisor advise on this and if it is a change in policy. Issue seems to be that every BRG now takes a conversation to get the rogue agents to follow their own rules! This was a bit different as the agent actually took the time to list details and their exact reason for denial, hence my concern they ahve now been told to match cancellation policy exactly!

Will let you know the outcome!
So an update on this I am now being told that if a property has a service charge and the OTA does not specifically mention it is included then they assume the service charge will be payable locally at the property including on Advance Purchase rates.

Essentially what they are saying is if I booked a hotel through an UK OTA and paid say Ł 5000 at time of booking and there was no mention of service charge, but on Marriott.com the property lists 10% service charge when I arrive in Bali in this case I will have a bill from the hotel for Ł 500 to pay. Frankly I find this absurd and it clearly does not happen in practice nor could it, firstly the hotel isnt getting my Ł 5000, the OTA gets this and the hotel pays a lower rate to the hotel, secondly how can you book and pay for a stay in full ina dvance for a hotel to then charge you more, their contract is with the OTA and my contract is with the OTA.

Am I missing something here or is it so long since I booked with a OTA and stayed at a Marriott property that hotels do indeed charge you unpublished extras upon arrival, in which case if they decide to charge an OTA guest 35% whats stopping them, it seems like Marriott would back them and say thats acceptable!
Old Jun 28, 2019, 3:21 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, HH Diamond, PC Plat Amb, BA EC Gold, Asiana Diamond, TK Elite
So an update on this I am now being told that if a property has a service charge and the OTA does not specifically mention it is included then they assume the service charge will be payable locally at the property including on Advance Purchase rates.

Essentially what they are saying is if I booked a hotel through an UK OTA and paid say Ł 5000 at time of booking and there was no mention of service charge, but on Marriott.com the property lists 10% service charge when I arrive in Bali in this case I will have a bill from the hotel for Ł 500 to pay. Frankly I find this absurd and it clearly does not happen in practice nor could it, firstly the hotel isnt getting my Ł 5000, the OTA gets this and the hotel pays a lower rate to the hotel, secondly how can you book and pay for a stay in full ina dvance for a hotel to then charge you more, their contract is with the OTA and my contract is with the OTA.

Am I missing something here or is it so long since I booked with a OTA and stayed at a Marriott property that hotels do indeed charge you unpublished extras upon arrival, in which case if they decide to charge an OTA guest 35% whats stopping them, it seems like Marriott would back them and say thats acceptable!
It is just a loophole in their terms that Marriott is using for years to deny claims. It has been discussed a couple of times here and they will not change their view of the terms. But you are right, I also do not think, that a hotel will charge you extra if you book via an OTA (except of course in some cities a City Tax or some Resort fee).
Old Jun 28, 2019, 5:23 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by DaveMidknight
It is just a loophole in their terms that Marriott is using for years to deny claims. It has been discussed a couple of times here and they will not change their view of the terms. But you are right, I also do not think, that a hotel will charge you extra if you book via an OTA (except of course in some cities a City Tax or some Resort fee).
I do agree and I am pushing back asking for an example of how this could work on a prepaid rate where I have paid the OTA and the OTA will pay the hotel. My contract is with the OTA and thus have 0 balance with the hotel and any percentage service charge of 0 is still 0.

I have also asked for an explanation of if they themselves booked a hotel of flight with an OTA and never looked at the providers own site like many do not if they got to the hotel / airport and were then asked to pay an extra 10-20% (of a converted into local currency amount) before they would be checked in would they accept this or furthermore think of any example where it would happen. I am maybe being a little hopeful in common sense prevailing here but I am curious to see what they answer.

It still amazes me what people will type and back up with terms and conditions (applied in a way they were never meant to be) even if it makes absolutly no sense in the real or legal world yet they cannot see just how farcicle what they suggest is.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
The Marriott LNF team is a bunch of cheaters. They make up reasons to deny valid claims. Never had that problem with the SPG BRG team!
Old Jun 28, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Originally Posted by margarita girl
The Marriott LNF team is a bunch of cheaters. They make up reasons to deny valid claims. Never had that problem with the SPG BRG team!
Call the brg hot line and escalate to a supervisor and she or he will get back to you within 24-48 hours. If not this mess will continue...
Old Jun 28, 2019, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by joakgarp
Call the brg hot line and escalate to a supervisor and she or he will get back to you within 24-48 hours. If not this mess will continue...
I am already escalated to a supervisor, and while getting more complete answers they still do not actually make sense in the real world. To be fair the supervisor is engaging on the conversation, just not really getting very far as yet, but been promised another update on Monday!
Old Jun 29, 2019, 2:23 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Here's a new one, at least to me. Filed a claim for a flexible rate. Answer: they reduced the rate to the rate of the OTA saying I had not booked their lowest late, which I did. No sign of the lower rate my reservation has been adjusted to on the Marriott web site. Go figure!
Old Jun 29, 2019, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by wobbly wings
Here's a new one, at least to me. Filed a claim for a flexible rate. Answer: they reduced the rate to the rate of the OTA saying I had not booked their lowest late, which I did. No sign of the lower rate my reservation has been adjusted to on the Marriott web site. Go figure!
Was this a Design Hotel?
Old Jul 1, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Was this a Design Hotel?
No; it was a plain Courtyard in the East Coast
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by wobbly wings
No; it was a plain Courtyard in the East Coast
Did you email back to clarify what had been done?
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:28 pm

I do agree and I am pushing back asking for an example of how this could work on a prepaid rate where I have paid the OTA and the OTA will pay the hotel. My contract is with the OTA and thus have 0 balance with the hotel and any percentage service charge of 0 is still 0.

I have also asked for an explanation of if they themselves booked a hotel of flight with an OTA and never looked at the providers own site like many do not if they got to the hotel / airport and were then asked to pay an extra 10-20% (of a converted into local currency amount) before they would be checked in would they accept this or furthermore think of any example where it would happen. I am maybe being a little hopeful in common sense prevailing here but I am curious to see what they answer.

It still amazes me what people will type and back up with terms and conditions (applied in a way they were never meant to be) even if it makes absolutly no sense in the real or legal world yet they cannot see just how farcicle what they suggest is.
Just a update on this, I had a long conversation with the supervisor which in the end resolved the problem. They could see the absurd nature of the way the &c's are being interpreted but equally I didn't get the feeling they could do much about that. Equally several errors by others during the processing of my claim were fully acknoledged and very poor replies I had recieved. I was offered a attempt to reinstate the BRG with correct details or a generous amount of points. I think the points are the way I shall go.

I would have liked no issues rather than the time taken to get to a resolution but at least in the end once got to speak to a very good legacy SPG supervisor common sense did prevail!
joakgarp likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 1:44 am

Did you email back to clarify what had been done?
No I didn't. Everytime I do, they try to fob me off in a way or the other and no longer have the time.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Just a update on this, I had a long conversation with the supervisor which in the end resolved the problem. They could see the absurd nature of the way the &c's are being interpreted but equally I didn't get the feeling they could do much about that. Equally several errors by others during the processing of my claim were fully acknoledged and very poor replies I had recieved. I was offered a attempt to reinstate the BRG with correct details or a generous amount of points. I think the points are the way I shall go.

I would have liked no issues rather than the time taken to get to a resolution but at least in the end once got to speak to a very good legacy SPG supervisor common sense did prevail!
Thanks for sharing. I agree with you, unless it's stated in the terms on the ota site that service charge is not included, I really don't think it's proper handling for brg agents to make up stories what's included and not included.
I've had some claims denied before for this reason and will escalate this to supervisor if brg agents are starting to mess about.

Last edited by joakgarp; Jul 2, 2019 at 10:09 am
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Hotel Name: Sheraton Gunter Hotel San Antonio
Date of Stay: This week July (1 night)
Number of Rooms: 1
Number of Guests: 2
Room Type: 2 Queen
Marriott Brand Website Rate: $166
Competing Rate: $144
Actual Approved Rate: $108
BRG Award: 25%

About 16 hour turnaround time.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: MAR Titanium, HH Gold
This is insane- I can still see a valid lower rate and the agents simply can't find it or perhaps there is discrepany due to region, ip etc.

I always submit one claim per reservation. If a denial comes within 24 hours after I make the booking, then I don't cancel the existing reservation but file a new claim.

Is this wrong?

From BRG team:

Finally, please be advised that guests who continue to submit multiple claims for the same reservation run the risk of having future claims submitted in such a manner summarily denied without review. This is a decision that has been made by executive management. Moving forward, please make one reservation for your entire stay, and submit one claim for that entire stay, as Marriott reserves the right to modify or cancel the guarantee at any time without prior notice (see ‘Verification Process,’ http://www.marriott.com/online-hotel-booking.mi).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.