Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott BRG Best Rate Guarantee (formerly LNF) Success, failure & discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Marriott's Best Rate Guarantee Discussion Thread

This thread is about Marriott's BRG. If you don't know what BRG is - here's the Marriott BRG and here's the claim form.
If you're not satisfied with the outcome of your claim and wish for a second review you may reply back by email or call Marriott's BRG hotline 1-800-771-5665. A human is available at this number beginning at 9 am EST.

If you are new to this, and would like to ask fellow FTers questions regarding BRGs, then this thread is the place to start.

Hotel Name:
Date of stay:
Number of Guests:
Room Type:
Marriott Brand Website Rate:
Competing Rate:
Actual Approved Rate:

Print Wikipost

Marriott BRG Best Rate Guarantee (formerly LNF) Success, failure & discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2019, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by verbyournoun

I can’t seem to find the number online is there a LNF specific number
just reply to the Email you were sent. They sometimes calculate things wrong but will correct that when you complain. If it is really $50 it should be easy.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
- Just filed a LNF Claim -

It's been a while since I found a competiting rate that was lower than what the Members Rate was on Marriott so forgive me for asking but wanted to get some thoughts from more experienced LNF'ers.

I would assume this is a valid LNF even though the Cancellation Policy slightly differs? Both are Non-Refundable however Marriott allows 24H cancel whereas Expedia does not and the Expedia rate says "This special discounted rate is non-refundable. If you choose to change or cancel this booking you will not be refunded any of the payment."

Standard King Room
Marriott $113.00
Expedia $110.00
not a problem. Non refundable is non-refundable.
KRSW and Intl359Widget like this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by cfischer
not a problem. Non refundable is non-refundable.
In that case I’m curious to see how the BRG team handles this claim as with a $3USD difference at a hotel in LA.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
I am also coming from the SPG system and, if anything, I have been having much more success with LNF than ever had with SPG’s BRG. For one, claim processing is fast and efficient. The ability to claim against OTA’s flex rates opened a whole new lot of BRG possibilities, which weren’t there with SPG, farmore than compensating the loss of no longer being able to claim flex against nonflex. And, in my experience, claims are decided in a fair and consistent manner in accordance with the stated rules (which one may disagree with, but are the rules we accept when we file a claim), contrary to SPG where the rules were applied capriciously and arbitrarily.
You're lucky but many of us have NOT have any experience like this.
There are major changes that work against us - like ota has a room type Marriot doesn't - spg used to allow this, Bonvoy DENIED, etc. etc. etc.
Old May 1, 2019, 12:38 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
I am also coming from the SPG system and, if anything, I have been having much more success with LNF than ever had with SPG’s BRG. For one, claim processing is fast and efficient. The ability to claim against OTA’s flex rates opened a whole new lot of BRG possibilities, which weren’t there with SPG, farmore than compensating the loss of no longer being able to claim flex against nonflex. And, in my experience, claims are decided in a fair and consistent manner in accordance with the stated rules (which one may disagree with, but are the rules we accept when we file a claim), contrary to SPG where the rules were applied capriciously and arbitrarily.
SPG definitely allowed comparing against OTA flex rates. And quite generously.
Old May 1, 2019, 7:05 am

Time to process: 19 hours
Hotel Name: Four Points by Sheraton Los Angeles LAX
Arrival Date: 19-May
Departure Date: 20-May
Number of Rooms: 1
Number of Guests: 2/room
Room Type: 1 King
Marriott Brand Website Rate: $113/nt
Competing Rate: $110/nt
Actual Approved Rate: $110 + tax & fees
LNF Award: 5k BonVoy'd Points

This one was an easy enough BRG with a $3 base difference and figured I'd take the points since the rate was low.
dgreen12, cfischer and KRSW like this.
Old May 1, 2019, 9:14 pm

Programs: CX MP Gold, MR Titanium
Finally! It's been a long while since I've been successful with Marriott...

Hotel Name: St Regis Singapore
Arrival Date: xx Aug 19
Departure Date: xx Aug 19
Number of Guests: 2
Room Type: Grand Deluxe, Larger Guest room, 1 King, Garden view
Marriott Brand Website Rate: 504 SGD
Competing Rate: 324 USD
Actual Approved Rate: 327 SGD
LNF Award: 25%
KRSW likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 4:27 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Moderator Note

Folks,

Just to clarify : it's convention in this thread that LNF posters may choose to withhold the name of the competing website.

If they do, that's fine, so there's no value in hounding them to reveal it.

/mod
cfischer, Temedar, KRSW and 4 others like this.
Old May 2, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: CX MP Gold, MR Titanium
2 more! Both approved in less than 8 hours

Hotel Name: St Regis Osaka
Arrival Date: xx Nov 19
Departure Date: xx Nov 19
Number of Guests: 3
Room Type: Grand Deluxe Premier Twin, Larger Guest room, 2 Double, City view
Marriott Brand Website Rate: 38000 JPY
Competing Rate: 587 AUD
Actual Approved Rate: 25962 JPY

Hotel Name: Courtyard Shin-Osaka Station
Room Type: Courtyard Room, Guest room
Marriott Brand Website Rate: 26,125 JPY
Competing Rate: 1764 HKD
Actual Approved Rate: 18819 JPY
Old May 2, 2019, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Yannie
2 more! Both approved in less than 8 hours

Hotel Name: St Regis Osaka
Room Type: Grand Deluxe Premier Twin, Larger Guest room, 2 Double, City view
Marriott Brand Website Rate: 38000 JPY
Competing Rate: 587 AUD
Actual Approved Rate: 25962 JPY

Hotel Name: Courtyard Shin-Osaka Station
Room Type: Courtyard Room, Guest room
Marriott Brand Website Rate: 26,125 JPY
Competing Rate: 1764 HKD
Actual Approved Rate: 18819 JPY
Sounds like I need to make a trip out to Osaka in November with these BRGs.

Congratulations!
Old May 2, 2019, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by SamOF
SPG definitely allowed comparing against OTA flex rates. And quite generously.
SPG required a best available rate comparison, regardless of rate actually booked. The comparison was always based on BAR on spg.com independently of rate on the reservation, which means you could not book a flex rate on SPG and claim against an OTA flex rate if SPG nonflex was lower than the OTA. LNF allows you to claim flex against flex even if Bonvoy nonflex BAR is lower than the OTA’s, which could not be done with SPG. They also allow you to book a nonflex rate, submit a BRG claim and then cancel your reservation in the event the claim is unsuccessful (within 1 day of booking), which of course was never a possibility with SPG.
Twickenham and nexusCFX like this.
Old May 2, 2019, 11:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Folks,

Just to clarify : it's convention in this thread that LNF posters may choose to withhold the name of the competing website.

If they do, that's fine, so there's no value in hounding them to reveal it.

/mod
Thanks! - But, I agree with the earlier Poster.
1. What's the Point of posting things here if you don't want to reveal the name of the OTA? I thought this thread was there to help others rather than just brag about your achievement of getting some rate. If people don't want to share their OTA, then why even come here and bother to tell others?
2. As for LNF folks watching this thread - that's the most ridiculous argument I have ever heard. They are the ones approving the claims and so obviously know the OTA when someone submitted the claim. It's not as if the OTA provider was hidden from them.
If someone has found a good rate and already booked your reservation (so you are safe), then share it with others too - Unless it's a ridiculously low rate (like $20 per night at a JW), nobody is going to yank away your rate and this thread will turn out useful for others. I don't know why anyone will want to visit this thread to hear someone brag about their find if the OTA name is not shared
3rdworldresident and HHQX888 like this.
Old May 3, 2019, 1:10 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by DFWsakp
2. As for LNF folks watching this thread - that's the most ridiculous argument I have ever heard. They are the ones approving the claims and so obviously know the OTA when someone submitted the claim. It's not as if the OTA provider was hidden from them.
This has been my thinking, and if it's the only reason, then I agree it's a silly one, as you stated.

But there could be a subtler factor in play -- it's possible they are willing to tolerate if one or two people submit successful LNFs/BRGs from an obscure competing site, but if the site is posted publicly they'll be motivated to take action rather than deal with an influx of submissions using that site.

I don't know if I find that persuasive, personally, but it could be argued.

BTW I'm curious, could someone clarify or post a pointer to previous discussion, who bears the cost of a successful claim? Marriott, or the individual property etc. That might also provide indirect insight into various parties' motivations.
KRSW and GalaxyChris like this.
Old May 3, 2019, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
BTW I'm curious, could someone clarify or post a pointer to previous discussion, who bears the cost of a successful claim? Marriott, or the individual property etc. That might also provide indirect insight into various parties' motivations.
The OTA does. Lower OTA rates have essentially two sources: properties that sell directly to OTAs outside Marriott’s GDS systems; or OTA buying rooms in bulk from Marriott’s GDS and getting significant quantity discounts. In either case, OTAs are contractually required to abide by Bonvoy’s best rate guarantee, which means they are not allowed to sell publicly rates lower than those posted on Bonvoy’s public channels. They may use the rooms nights they buy to bundle into packaged tours, where the lower rate goes unnoticed, but they can’t resell directly to the public (for that purpose OTAs can use GDS’s commissionable rates). However because the lower prices OTAs pay are contingent on room nights quantity targets, they will sometimes resell directly to the public often for a rate lower than Bonvoy’s BAR. Violation of these contractual obligations may result in the property assessing the OTA a contractual penalty and charging it the rate difference between the BRG appproved rate and the BAR rate on the Bonvoy website. Some properties however are highly dependant on a few OTAs, so they will just eat up the rate difference and move on. SPG used to fine properties each time a BRG claim was approved but I think Marriott abandoned that practice because properties where I often stay that were extremely apt at blocking OTA’s lower rates are now very nonchalant about it.
KRSW likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 2:14 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
The OTA does. [...]
interesting, thanks!

Given that info, I don't see that Marriott has any particularly strong incentive to cut down on LNFs since the penalty isn't being paid out of their pockets (beyond the overhead associated with staffing the team and managing the program etc)

The OTAs on the other hand probably prefer LNF-knowledgeable people don't find out in any meaningful number though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.