Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott BRG Best Rate Guarantee (formerly LNF) Success, failure & discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Marriott's Best Rate Guarantee Discussion Thread

This thread is about Marriott's BRG. If you don't know what BRG is - here's the Marriott BRG and here's the claim form.
If you're not satisfied with the outcome of your claim and wish for a second review you may reply back by email or call Marriott's BRG hotline 1-800-771-5665. A human is available at this number beginning at 9 am EST.

If you are new to this, and would like to ask fellow FTers questions regarding BRGs, then this thread is the place to start.

Hotel Name:
Date of stay:
Number of Guests:
Room Type:
Marriott Brand Website Rate:
Competing Rate:
Actual Approved Rate:

Print Wikipost

Marriott BRG Best Rate Guarantee (formerly LNF) Success, failure & discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2019, 9:47 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Marriott is playing games right now and it's incredibly shady

I've submitted FOUR different BRG claims the past week at xxxxx hotel using xxxx.com as the competing rate.

First time: Didn't get a response within 24 hours so cancelled before they reviewed the claim (whatever, it happens try again)

Second time: "The difference in price is due to the exchange rate fluctuations and therefore I cannot process your claim" even though it was a 10% difference per night. Tried arguing through email sending screenshots and currency exchange math but to no success.

Third time: In my claim, did the exact math to tell them it was not a nominal difference so they would have no excuse. Again the difference in rates is 10% at time of booking. When I got email back from the LNF team, the rate on the competing website disappeared! I thought I just had ***** luck so cancelled the reservation again.

Forth Time: Wasn't expecting to do a fourth claim, but MAGICALLY the competing website had the same rate as before I submitted the third claim. 10 hours later I get a response saying that the competing website is not offering the rate that I found when I submitted this FOURTH BRG claim. Additionally, there were two other rates that were a bit higher than the lowest one but still 5-8% cheaper than the Mariott site, so I also told them that in case the lowest one disappeared. Those rates had high amount of rooms available (did a 4 room dummy booking). Somehow, all those rooms within a ten hour period got wiped out!

At this point it's not even about the savings anymore than is it a principle thing. This is absolute BS that they are playing with inventory somehow to keep denying my claims.
Old May 3, 2019, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by verbyournoun

At this point it's not even about the savings anymore than is it a principle thing. This is absolute BS that they are playing with inventory somehow to keep denying my claims.
Not to distrust your experience, but are you aware that many OTAs offer different prices based on your own cookie history, which aggregator you used to narrow down your search, where you are accessing the internet from, etc.? I can use a VPN and an incognito browser to find 4 different rates for the same hotel from 4 different countries... What you are seeing might simply not be what a Marriott agent in Ireland or the US or India might see.
Old May 3, 2019, 12:14 pm

@ DFWsakp :
As for LNF folks watching this thread - that's the most ridiculous argument I have ever heard. Exactly and real argument is that not too much forum readers use this OTA to make LNF claims via this OTA's.
Old May 3, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
I'm sure it doesn't matter if it's something like Hotels.com, Booking, Priceline or Amoma. For those who don't want the whole internet to know and destroy any future BRG don't post who the OTA is (unless it's the bigger bulletproof OTA's above), I don't really think it's a good idea to post smaller OTAs here. Marriott's BRG department are tough and can sometimes be very difficult to work with. Marriott's BRG department will read every single T&C from that OTA site and will find always something that will make them deny the OTA for any future BRG claim. Been there, done that.

To be frank, I don't personally care who the OTA is. It rather satisfies my BRG needs to know how low I can go with certain properties which helps me out for my future up coming stays.

Also please know that the BRG Hot line is still open from the SPG days and it's the same number (US) 1-866-500-0368. A human is available at this number beginning at 9am EST. Call that number if Marriott's agents are not responding properly or playing games. The phone number has helped me out a couple of times and it's also possible to ask for a supervisor to look at the claim. The supervisors get back to you within 48 hours but usually faster. They are great as well and have been around for a long time.

@verbyournoun, sounds like your OTA is sensitive to from where in the world you are looking at the OTA's rate based on the information it's in a different currency? I advice you to use a VPN with location set to the US to see if the rate is still the same as you see it. It is common that folks in the US see a whole different rates than us in Europe for instance. Also double check the information in your claim is correct and helpful in order for the BRG agent find the rate. Information like app, web browser, travel engine and what language it's set, etc.
KRSW likes this.

Last edited by joakgarp; May 3, 2019 at 12:41 pm
Old May 4, 2019, 1:30 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by joakgarp

@verbyournoun, sounds like your OTA is sensitive to from where in the world you are looking at the OTA's rate based on the information it's in a different currency? I advice you to use a VPN with location set to the US to see if the rate is still the same as you see it. It is common that folks in the US see a whole different rates than us in Europe for instance. Also double check the information in your claim is correct and helpful in order for the BRG agent find the rate. Information like app, web browser, travel engine and what language it's set, etc.
The OTA in question is one of the big name ones you mentioned above....additionally I searched the rate through incognito mode with my VPN turned on to USA location (although I’m already searching in the US). Magically, I have found the exact rate once more about 8 hours after my claim got denied. The exact dates, the rooms, the cancellation policy, the view, the bedding, all completely the same to the last detail. I did the math for them for currency exchange so they can’t use the exchange rate excuse (10% difference). I cannot think of another reason other than Marriott screwing over with inventory somehow.

Thank you for letting me know about the hotline. This is an old SPG property so perhaps that can help. Also, am I allowed to submit multiple claims from different websites on the same reservation?

All in all I don’t even use Marriott that often...I’m a Hilton Diamond or if I don’t stay with Hilton I like to transfer UR for Hyatt stays. This area I want to stay in only has Marriott’s in my price range unfortunately.

LNF team if you’re reading this, absolutely disgusting customer service. I had to wait on the line when I called in to complain over half an hour just for some manager to tell me they can’t do any claims over the phone or give me a legit explanation why these room availability magically disappears when I submit a claim and 8 hours later it reappears. Barely use Marriott and I’ve been Bonvoyed
nunogomes likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 1:40 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold

The OTA in question is one of the big name ones you mentioned above....additionally I searched the rate through incognito mode with my VPN turned on to USA location (although I’m already searching in the US). Magically, I have found the exact rate once more about 8 hours after my claim got denied. The exact dates, the rooms, the cancellation policy, the view, the bedding, all completely the same to the last detail. I did the math for them for currency exchange so they can’t use the exchange rate excuse (10% difference). I cannot think of another reason other than Marriott screwing over with inventory somehow.

Thank you for letting me know about the hotline. This is an old SPG property so perhaps that can help. Also, am I allowed to submit multiple claims from different websites on the same reservation?

All in all I don’t even use Marriott that often...I’m a Hilton Diamond or if I don’t stay with Hilton I like to transfer UR for Hyatt stays. This area I want to stay in only has Marriott’s in my price range unfortunately.

LNF team if you’re reading this, absolutely disgusting customer service. I had to wait on the line when I called in to complain over half an hour just for some manager to tell me they can’t do any claims over the phone or give me a legit explanation why these room availability magically disappears when I submit a claim and 8 hours later it reappears. Barely use Marriott and I’ve been Bonvoyed
Sucks to hear. Only one claim per reservation is allowed unfortunately. Sounds like the brg team or the hotel is playing with their tools and inventory to make it hard for you.
This has happend to myself a couple of times, always when there is a week or less to check in. Very hard to have an approved claim during this time frame, from my own experience.
Old May 4, 2019, 2:54 am

I write explicit instructions how I found rate in comment section. iPad, safari, etc.
I would email back asking them to please try again and also to check whatever other sites you found with a lower rate.

I always try try to find a backup site in case it’s necessary.

Old May 4, 2019, 7:20 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

The incompetence is incredible.

I submitted yet another claim with another competing website than the one before, and this time they denied the claim because it wasn’t the best available rate on Marriott but in doing so downgraded me to a room with a different view and that did not come with free breakfast that the two rates had in common. Literally breaking their own rules
Old May 4, 2019, 11:00 pm

Programs: QR Gold / M&M FTL / Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
today got denied one, because the operator pretend that my OTA is on request.
So funny i had stay BRG with this OTA last month, 2 future stay also BRG with this same OTA.

So this Marriott operator is another one who just say BS for denying...
I answered with samples of the previous BRG booking but probably I will need to escalate and call or do a new claim.

Last edited by GalaxyChris; May 5, 2019 at 9:09 am
Old May 5, 2019, 8:04 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Update: FINALLY

After submitting a 5th claim, with two sites, explicit instructions to the letter on how to access the sites, currency exchange math, and a phone call to the old SPG line it finally went through.

Victory tastes sweet I think I’m gonna spend the amount of money I saved on a bottle of Champagne
Old May 6, 2019, 12:03 am

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
Brg rates

Just a quick question , not had the opportunity to complete a Bonvoy LNF claim before, does the member rate need to be booked or can it be the standard non member rate? i assume I am drawing comparisons to IHGs BRG where you would have to compare against the member rate.

Thanks,
Old May 6, 2019, 4:44 pm

Programs: QR Gold / M&M FTL / Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by GalaxyChris
today got denied one, because the operator pretend that my OTA is on request.
So funny i had stay BRG with this OTA last month, 2 future stay also BRG with this same OTA.

So this Marriott operator is another one who just say BS for denying...
I answered with samples of the previous BRG booking but probably I will need to escalate and call or do a new claim.
Update : Finally my claim get approved.
Never give up if do you feel that the agent is wrong.
Old May 6, 2019, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by mitpat474
Just a quick question , not had the opportunity to complete a Bonvoy LNF claim before, does the member rate need to be booked or can it be the standard non member rate? i assume I am drawing comparisons to IHGs BRG where you would have to compare against the member rate.

Thanks,
Member rate.
Old May 7, 2019, 12:26 am

Programs: qantas, malaysia,starwoon,hilton
Here's a first.
Booked room at Marriott property 2 months ago free cancellation.
Found a sale yesterday and made new booking same everything.
Refused as agent could not find OTA price ($15 less)
Emailed back with instructions how to use expedia.com.
Reply back from Marriott confirming new rate ($210AUD cheaper) on BOTH bookings.
margarita girl and KRSW like this.

Last edited by mona lisa; May 7, 2019 at 12:36 am Reason: Error
Old May 7, 2019, 4:43 pm

Time to process: 17 hours (on a weekend, no less)
Hotel Name: Westin City Center, Washington DC
Arrival Date: 8-May
Departure Date: 10-May
Number of Rooms: 1
Number of Guests: 1/room
Room Type: 1 King
Marriott Brand Website Rate: $952 incl. taxes/fees
Competing Rate: $784 incl. taxes/fees
Actual Approved Rate: $725 incl taxes/fees
Savings: $226
LNF Award: 25% off

This one took two tries (my fault, not BRG), but ended up working out much better than my first attempt.
mona lisa likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.