Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott BRG Best Rate Guarantee (formerly LNF) Success, failure & discussion thread

Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Marriott's Best Rate Guarantee Discussion Thread

This thread is about Marriott's BRG. If you don't know what BRG is - here's the Marriott BRG and here's the claim form.
If you're not satisfied with the outcome of your claim and wish for a second review you may reply back by email or call Marriott's BRG hotline 1-800-771-5665. A human is available at this number beginning at 9 am EST.

If you are new to this, and would like to ask fellow FTers questions regarding BRGs, then this thread is the place to start.

Hotel Name:
Date of stay:
Number of Guests:
Room Type:
Marriott Brand Website Rate:
Competing Rate:
Actual Approved Rate:

Print Wikipost

Marriott BRG Best Rate Guarantee (formerly LNF) Success, failure & discussion thread

Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

I just had my first claim against a legacy SPG hotel approved by the LNF team, so figured this was as good a time as ever to start a thread on the combined new forum. May our claims be successful in the years ahead!

Hotel Name: St. Regis Bangkok
Arrival Date: 2019-01-05
Departure Date: 2019-01-07
Number of Rooms: 1
Number of Guests: 2
Room Type: Deluxe King
Marriott Brand Website Rate: THB 8,721 (all-in)
Competing Rate: EUR 209 (all-in), equivalent to THB 7,944
Competing Web Site:
Actual Approved Rate:
THB 5,036 (plus tax)
LNF Award: 25% discount
Comments: Booked and LNF'd a flex rate - quick turn-around from the LNF team.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Sorry if this has been answered before, but what if a room is available on third-party websites like Hotels.com etc., but not through Marriott?
For example because Marriott has a minimum stay requirement which Hotels.com doesn't have?
The hotel is displayed as sold out for my dates on the Marriott website.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:23 pm

I submitted one about 30 hours ago, no reply from LNF team yet.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by tonywush
I submitted one about 30 hours ago, no reply from LNF team yet.
Have you heard from them? Mine is close to 48 hours and not a word from them at all! Wrote to them again and got another 8 digit case number and got another auto reply.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My experiences with the LNF have been from Excellent to Not Worth the Hassle Anymore in short 2 years period. In the past the taxes and fees were correctly subtracted from the competitor sites even just with detailed information on the claim. It is now the inclusive rates have to be lower than Marriott's exclusive rates in order to get the LNF approved.

That.is.a.bogus.LNF.

Meanwhile, Marriott is also taking away the elite benefits from bookings made on 3rd party sites. (expected as other programs long exclude such).

It boils down to, how much the lounge access / free breakfast would worth to you, when you essentially still pay for it when the Marriott rates are higher, sometimes meaningfully higher, than the OTA's rates. If no need for the stay credit, I would say saving cold hard cash for my own pocket book is more important.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xar
Hi all,

Just to update that my case has a semi-approved. Meaning that while i did not get the option of 5000 points or 20% discount, the LNF agent managed to get the property to amend my pre-paid booking and match the current lower rate.
The difference of rates will be refunded to me once my stay has been completed.
Did you get something in writing to confirm this arrangement? And which party refunds the difference, Marriott LNF or the property?

Anything that requires subsequent follow up to get it, carries potential hassle and headache. Good Luck.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Got a very strange response on my first LNF for Starwood.. Is this normal? I dont like the sound of 'if you have any issues with the rate charged at check out, please contact us ... within 15 days of departure.'

--
Hello Mr. JV1,

It is my pleasure to approve such a valuable Guest member's Best Rate Guarantee claim and reservation today.

Your confirmation number for your reservation will remain the same, as well as the cancellation policy under which you originally booked. Please present this e-mail upon arrival at the hotel. Here are the approved details our hotel colleagues will update for you prior to check in:

[Guest name, rate etc. ]

Mr. JV1, have a great stay at our Luxury Collection Resort and thank you for using our Best Rate Guarantee program to secure your lower rate. Have a good day.

If you have any questions regarding your Best Rate Guarantee claim or if you have any issues with the rate charged at check out, please contact us at [email protected] within 15 days of departure.

Best regards,

--
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: AA Life Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by jamesie_version1
Got a very strange response on my first LNF for Starwood.. Is this normal? I dont like the sound of 'if you have any issues with the rate charged at check out, please contact us ... within 15 days of departure.'

--
Hello Mr. JV1,

It is my pleasure to approve such a valuable Guest member's Best Rate Guarantee claim and reservation today.

Your confirmation number for your reservation will remain the same, as well as the cancellation policy under which you originally booked. Please present this e-mail upon arrival at the hotel. Here are the approved details our hotel colleagues will update for you prior to check in:

[Guest name, rate etc. ]

Mr. JV1, have a great stay at our Luxury Collection Resort and thank you for using our Best Rate Guarantee program to secure your lower rate. Have a good day.

If you have any questions regarding your Best Rate Guarantee claim or if you have any issues with the rate charged at check out, please contact us at [email protected] within 15 days of departure.

Best regards,

--
So can we take the email and simply modify it for any property I wonder? Seems ripe for abuse.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob

--
Hello Mr. JV1,

[Guest name, rate etc. ]

Best regards,

--
Usually the correct rate is displayed on the Starwood website. If it wasn't, I would bring a copy of the BRG confirmation. If hotel disputed that, I would just pay the bill and let the BRG team take care of it. (Think it happened twice on well over 100 BRG stays.) Refund would be issued within a few days and I got points for the higher amount, so I was fine with that!

Who knows now with the Marriott take over.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:48 am
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
Originally Posted by Happy
Did you get something in writing to confirm this arrangement? And which party refunds the difference, Marriott LNF or the property?

Anything that requires subsequent follow up to get it, carries potential hassle and headache. Good Luck.
Yes, in fact i got an updated reservation email from the hotel which reflects the new, lower rate.
As the deduction via credit card has since been made from the original booking, the hotel has also informed me that they would refund me the balance upon the completion of my stay.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:15 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Usually the correct rate is displayed on the Starwood website. If it wasn't, I would bring a copy of the BRG confirmation. If hotel disputed that, I would just pay the bill and let the BRG team take care of it..
It's not on the website - room has changed to 'standard rate' and there is no information on summary of charges. The hotel has just joined the SPG within the past month, so I wonder if there are some communication issues with the booking systems.

Anyhow, I'm not really worried and think your approach is spot-on.. Just curious.

James
Old Sep 12, 2018, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
It's not on the website - room has changed to 'standard rate' and there is no information on summary of charges. The hotel has just joined the SPG within the past month, so I wonder if there are some communication issues with the booking systems.

Anyhow, I'm not really worried and think your approach is spot-on.. Just curious.

James
Yes, I was speaking in the past tense, ie pre-merger. I’m at a hotel now on a BRG. Rate was not displayed on the reservation on Marriott site (even though it was the correct rate on SPG site pre-merger). At check-in, they quoted me the wrong price, so I handed over the confirmation and it was corrected immediately.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, Hilton Gold
Marriott "Look No Further" Guarantee is a Joke

Bottom line: If you're looking for the best price, you're probably better off booking at another site than relying on Marriott's "Look No Further Guarantee."

After booking a Westin property, I found the same exact room for the same exact dates on Hotels.com. I printed out a copy of the Hotels.com price and submitted a claim. It took a day, and Marriott responded that they would not match the rate because the rate they found on Hotels.com was higher. I sent them the printout, and also looked on Hotels.com, and now an even lower rate was available (lower than Marriott). They responded by telling me that "we are unable to accept customer provided evidences for validating Best Rate Guarantee claims." So: they're ignoring the rate on Hotels.com and they're ignoring the evidence I'm providing them showing the rate I'm seeing. Great "Guarantee" and great customer service - ha!
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: LH*G, FB*G, IC *free minibar*, SLH, RC 5C-Club, LHW, and a lot of others
Is there a way to follow up a claim via phone? If somebody has a number I would highly appreciate it, if you can PM me thx
Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
It's not perfect, but "joke" goes a bit far. I agree it can be frustrating, but it's still the best "best rate" program around. You haven't been able to use screenshots for years, so that's nothing new. I've sometimes had to submit a claim several days in a row, because they can't find the competing rate at the time they check, but after years of dealing with Hilton's and Hyatt's programs, I'd take Marriott's current program all day. Plus 25% off is huge. I've had 3 claims in the last month that I'll save approximately $1400. With Hyatt I would have received $150 worth of Hyatt credit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.