Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

How Bad Do You Estimate The IT Rollout Will Be?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jspira
Marriott began the IT integration of its 3 loyalty programs on August 18 with a goal of combining them into one unified program. It told members to expect websites and apps to be inaccessible that day and problems stretched into the middle of the week. By Thursday, the dust seemed to settle although members continued to report specific issues.
Print Wikipost

How Bad Do You Estimate The IT Rollout Will Be?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
I can't even login.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by philemer
I can't even login.
Me neither. Maybe by tomorrow.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cfischer
not having a functioning log-in Sunday night ... that's pretty bad. This is complicated, I give them that, but they had 1+ years to plan for this ... looks like a fail to me. Well, o.k., I'll give them till tomorrow morning. If everything is fine by then, we can merge accounts, book stays etc .... all is good. Fingers crossed!
having done large implementations and go lives, all the planning in the world still doesnt take the complexity go away. Especially with systems that are partially live and functioning during the process.

if they hadnt planned, the results will be far worse (see the rollout of healthcare.gov for example. And this isnt a political reference, merely that the rollout was an epic cockup).

the best thing is to wait. Unless you need to do something mission critical, leave it alone till the all clear is given. Combining accounts today vs 2 days from now isnt going to change anyones LT status prognosis.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by estedman
Me neither. Maybe by tomorrow.
They know they screwed up the loyalty related info so they just disabled the account sign-in system until they figure out how to properly manipulate/merge the 2 big databases.

Their IT migration project team should have joined FT in April so that they can cover all these scenarios which they didn't think of.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:12 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
This rolling rollout over the last couple of weeks must be doing wonders for the bookings and profits.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by seat38a
This rolling rollout over the last couple of weeks must be doing wonders for the bookings and profits.
the road warriors likely already booked if they can. Especially the elites.

this is a minor insignificant blip in the grand scheme of things for Marriott. Yes, it sucks, but that's why you do it mid August - before the holiday season.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
It's Monday morning and things are still messed up. Not impressed.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:30 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
I was able to book some former SPG Cat 7's at 60k marriott points on Sunday morning (which I was eagerly waiting to do once the new program rolled out) but now I can't get into my account since apparently everyone is blocked. My accounts looked mostly correct when I went into them and I have email confirmations of my reservations so I should be good. I do have a screen capture of both my SPG and Marriott account summaries prior to the big bang just to be sure I don't lose anything!

Last edited by quinella66; Aug 20, 2018 at 5:30 am Reason: typo
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, American Airlines Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Yesterday was a disaster, but everything seems to be working just fine for me now. I can log in with either the web site or the mobile app and it shows me as LTPP. Reservations working as well.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:45 am

Ability to log in and make reservations seems to be working OK. Site certainly has glitches. Points and nights are not yet accurate.

One thing I find annoying and concerning is having to repeatedly sign in. Like 5-6 times per minute repeatedly. This occurs every time there is a forced switch between sites.* I think they took the Marriott timeout time and divided it by the SPG timeout time during The Great Merge.

* - Note: I'm simultaneously searching/booking Marriott and SPG reservations (must do today).
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
So now the app still shows me as plat currently/nights to plat premier, but says lifetime that I'm plat premiere.
The website, which previously had the same, now displays no lifetime status (infinity logo) and just says that I'm plat/nights to plat premiere.
Hoping a batch job runs soon to resolve this. Not the end of the world for me as I don't have any stays in the next couple of weeks.

EDIT: I have seen more than one indication on twitter that somehow reservations are getting crossed, and on the final reservation screen sometimes people are seeing the names and email addresses of other Marriott customers.
I've seen another claiming that there is a registration under that person's MR account with that person's credit card number, but the name/email of a totally different guest (not posting the link here because the person tweeting it did not censor/redact the name/full email of the person in question), which is very disturbing.

Keep a close eye on your reservations when making them and generally to make sure that your reservations don't book under another person's name/profile and that the stays of others do not book under your MR account!

Last edited by phltraveler; Aug 20, 2018 at 8:47 am
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: SPG Plat and Lifetime Plat DL Gold HH Diamond
Can't sign in to the SPG side using both my old SPG login id as well as the newly assigned membership number. Neither works and takes me on a circular reference back to the home page as if I'm starting a brand new session.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by PBA_DC3
Can't sign in to the SPG side using both my old SPG login id as well as the newly assigned membership number. Neither works and takes me on a circular reference back to the home page as if I'm starting a brand new session.
Sign. In. System. Broke.

Of all things to get working properly straight away, I would have said this should be #1 . The above post that people are seeing other people's personal info and reservations are getting cross-wired blows that priority away. My guess is these are not independent problems.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
As of 9am PDT, both apps appear to work now and show my points and upcoming reservations.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: SPG Plat and Lifetime Plat DL Gold HH Diamond
Still can't sign in on the spg side and the app gives me a system down screen.

I have an understanding of major integration efforts like this and there are certainly a lot of moving pieces. However, the fact that they can't get the sign in process to even work (I could understand limitations on what I can see or do outside of bookings) really is indicative of how poorly planned and executed this is. Marriott has very little time, IMHO, to make these issues right before they are going to begin loosing customer confidence and faith that they actually know what they are doing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.