Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

How Bad Do You Estimate The IT Rollout Will Be?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jspira
Marriott began the IT integration of its 3 loyalty programs on August 18 with a goal of combining them into one unified program. It told members to expect websites and apps to be inaccessible that day and problems stretched into the middle of the week. By Thursday, the dust seemed to settle although members continued to report specific issues.
Print Wikipost

How Bad Do You Estimate The IT Rollout Will Be?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'd say it's a disaster from the perspective of the loyalty program, but not operations (unlike, for example, the UA/CO merger, where operations - including particularly passenger reservations - were drastically affected).

Because operations are not being materially affected, fixing all these various problems with the loyalty program is, unfortunately, not going to be a real high priority for Marriott.
Kacee -- I do agree with what you're saying. I think there are a few that posted on this thread and more likely others that will consider the options. I hate it that Marriott is screwing up SPG. On the surface they don't want to lose the very important loyal customers that SPG made their hay off of. However, it's obvious from this thread that many of us are considering the options.

For me it does greatly impact me as my points are stuck with Marriott and I can't book an airline I need to book because the system to transfer points is down. If I lose the hold on the flight (I have a 5 day window), then it materially affects me by thousands of dollars. So, yes I will remember it!
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Originally Posted by FreeLunch
Kacee -- I do agree with what you're saying. I think there are a few that posted on this thread and more likely others that will consider the options. I hate it that Marriott is screwing up SPG. On the surface they don't want to lose the very important loyal customers that SPG made their hay off of. However, it's obvious from this thread that many of us are considering the options.

For me it does greatly impact me as my points are stuck with Marriott and I can't book an airline I need to book because the system to transfer points is down. If I lose the hold on the flight (I have a 5 day window), then it materially affects me by thousands of dollars. So, yes I will remember it!
Spg customer spends on an average X2 than a Marriott guest... not from me, it's from Marriott when they do trainings to Spg people...
Guess what, they bought this database of loyal and $$$ customers... but to want is something, to make promises is something but to deliver and care is something else. Marriott is very good at doing statements, promises but till now I'm still waiting a decent delivery and accountability.

Time will tell, but I'm pretty sure than hilton and Hyatt has very good times those days.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:57 am

Ugh just lost my ambassador status. Guess the system realized I hadn't stayed 100 nights this year. It was nice having it for 5 days haha.

What I'm still unclear on is why credit card nights aren't counting towards status. 15 CC nights which are attached to my profile should aid in trying to get to 75 SNA awards and ambassador status. My profile is only counting paid/redeemed nights. Is this a glitch still? Or a new policy?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian320
Ugh just lost my ambassador status. Guess the system realized I hadn't stayed 100 nights this year. It was nice having it for 5 days haha.

What I'm still unclear on is why credit card nights aren't counting towards status. 15 CC nights which are attached to my profile should aid in trying to get to 75 SNA awards and ambassador status. My profile is only counting paid/redeemed nights. Is this a glitch still? Or a new policy?
But what did you do last year? If you earned status during 2017, it should last through the next program year (Jan/Feb?). Do not trust the website/app for accurate status. I am SPG LTG, my annual status is showing Plat (with nowhere near the nights to have earned it) and just a day or two ago showing as LTG whereas before I was showing still needed 25 nights to make LTS. Everything is in turmoil. Unless you need that status for a pending stay, sit back and watch things change, good and bad. Still a lot of work to get all the kinks out.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'd say it's a disaster from the perspective of the loyalty program, but not operations (unlike, for example, the UA/CO merger, where operations - including particularly passenger reservations - were drastically affected).

Because operations are not being materially affected, fixing all these various problems with the loyalty program is, unfortunately, not going to be a real high priority for Marriott.

I would say even more so from a loyalty perspective. You can still book rooms on OTAs, but it seems like hotels are the only ones who put a giant emphasis on booking direct instead of an an OTA. Its almost impossible to search for a hotel right now on marriott. And to be honest I don't know I would trust any bookings I made. If you look at some of the most successful companies out there, like Amazon, Toyota, Honda, Zappos, Tesla, etc, This would be an unmitigated disaster. It reminds me of a video I watched in a management class in college. GM had hired the Japanese (Toyota I believe) to come in and help with efficiency. In one part of the video the guy was walking around this factory showing off the automation. They get to a group of machines that had stopped and were beeping. He couldn't find anyone to remedy the situation and I think it took like 15 minutes for someone to come get the line moving again. He was talking about how in Japan this situation would be considered a catastrophic failure, and in the US, we look it like just another unavoidable problem. Its no surprise how Toyota and Honda came to overtake the american brands.

2 years of planning for this and almost a week later Marriott's site is still broken. Its a reservation system. Not rocket science. They should have had this all working in the back end and simply flipped a switch. More than likely they were not fully ready but since they had already set a date, some clueless executive forced this to go live.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
But what did you do last year? If you earned status during 2017, it should last through the next program year (Jan/Feb?). Do not trust the website/app for accurate status. I am SPG LTG, my annual status is showing Plat (with nowhere near the nights to have earned it) and just a day or two ago showing as LTG whereas before I was showing still needed 25 nights to make LTS. Everything is in turmoil. Unless you need that status for a pending stay, sit back and watch things change, good and bad. Still a lot of work to get all the kinks out.
Was Platinum last year. My nights currently say 158, however, 65 are paid/redeemed with 20 from CC and the rest are rollover from previous year (around 70). Not sure what to think. I haven't spent $20k this year and I was always in Marriott program so no ambassador service last yr or this yr so honestly I don't think I should've gotten it anyway.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian320
Was Platinum last year. My nights currently say 158, however, 65 are paid/redeemed with 20 from CC and the rest are rollover from previous year (around 70). Not sure what to think. I haven't spent $20k this year and I was always in Marriott program so no ambassador service last yr or this yr so honestly I don't think I should've gotten it anyway.
So was the system saying Ambassador after the merge? My SPG annual status is still higher than it should be so want experience a loss when it goes away. I should get LTPP in January and I combine my accounts.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
So was the system saying Ambassador after the merge? My SPG annual status is still higher than it should be so want experience a loss when it goes away. I should get LTPP in January and I combine my accounts.
Yup, on both website and app. It was saying I needed 0 nights + $x of dollars to renew and provided me the links to ambassador info. I just assumed that meant to renew for 2019 (and that I at least had ambassador from now till end of Dec).
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA EP, SPG Ambassador (lifetime plat)
I called spg today after waiting probably 20 mins on the phone — and asked the person when it would be accurate online. She said she was told on Monday it would be all updated within 72 hours which brings us to today. Unfortunately, mine is still not accurate. It still doesn’t include any stays after July 18.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by flying_donkeys12
This integration has been a disaster to put it mildly. Website is down constantly, status levels are all over the place both yearly and lifetime. Stays are not posting. I think they would have been better off just “winging” this technology merge since Marriott has supposedly been preparing many months for this.
Honestly, how is this any different than how the Marriott website has been for the past year+? Despite status.marriott.com saying they're up with no issues, I'm still having trouble logging in with multiple accounts, using multiple computers.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After 3 days of silence from Marriott on my web submission of the problems, I finally tried to call again today.

I actually miscalculated so my cancellation was credited back correctly. However, since the website did not show the credit correctly (showed the lower amount)...

The bigger problem is the phone rep could not attach my Chase certificates to a reservation. The 2 certificates were attached to a reservation I cancelled Sunday night. When I booked the new reservation, it did not prompt me if I wanted to use them. So, it deducted the points. In the past, it was very easy for them to fix that. Now she has to open a ticket.

She said that they had great training to work on the new system. She sounded tired but was helpful. She was apologetic but did not admit they have big issues. She was from the Marriott side and said it is a new system for them too. My status (PP) shows up correctly on her computer but it still says Platinum on the website.

This has not been a good transition - not only the system did not work right, the customer service with the problems was not good either.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:32 am

I have been facing the similar issues. I have been platinum on both SPG and Marriott, plus lifetime gold SPG.

With the merger, both apps show only the platinum (no LTG), and only the nights and points earned before 18 August on Marriott account. Also, neither app shows the reservations made on SPG . So, basically, it looks like my SPG account never existed.

This question may have been answered already in the threads , but does anyone know if the missing nights, points and status will be reappear ?

Thanks
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:35 am

Also, how can (should I?) I raise it with Marriott by email ? The platinum phone line didn’t help: waiting time is crazy , and when I get thru, all I hear is we are working on it.

Does anyone know the best channel to raise the problem ?

Thanks
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
This is nothing but a tiny blip with mass hysteria on FT. The vast majority of non travel obsessed people (which is the vast majority of people) barely know this is going on. Zero ultra high net worth individuals even care.

marriott has done a poor job of communicating issues, but come on, acting like this will lead to mass defections due to Lifetime Status being wrong for a few days? Only the handful of people here have even noticed.

simply put, unless merging etc is necessary, just wait. Why does it matter to the Platinum Premier member if they are Lifetime platinum right now.. vs in 2 weeks? It doesnt.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:16 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Antarius
Zero ultra high net worth individuals even care.
Quoi?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.