Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2017, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]

The property now provides $15/person credit in the restaurant, which will basically cover cereal & coffee.

Per Flyman:

They don't have the Executive Lounge while they have Executive Level rooms. What they have is an office-style galley on near the elevators on the Executive Level (15/16th floor) where you'll find coffee machine (powdered, not real milk), filtered room-temp water, whole fruit, and snack. In the mornings, they place ONE type of pastry (muffin/donut) and 1 type of juice - their version of continental breakfast. Plat/Gold can get to those floors (if your room is not on the Exec Level) by swiping your room key in the elevator.

The bar has happy hours everyday (4:30-6:30p), and seems to be popular with non-hotel guests as well.

Caution: make sure you get the room type you booked. FDM says there are errors between what Marriott shows for room types and what the hotel actually has.

TIP: From guest room elevator, don't take the elevator to the floor that says 'retail' it's not the ground and is currently a hallway with linens and storage, no way to exit to street. To exit the hotel go to lobby level (2nd) then take escalator to street.

TIP: Kona Coffee Purveyors is a great spot for coffee and pastries (sweet & savory). Exit the hotel and turn right. Just a few doors down, in front of the International Marketplace.

This email should work for contacting the hotel/requests:

[email protected]
Print Wikipost

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2017, 8:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
I have to admit that I was excited about The Laylow, Autograph Collection, before it opened.

With a central location on Waikiki, a $60 million renovation, and a mid-century style, it seems like a place my wife and I would enjoy staying.

Best of all, it would be a hotel, not a resort. So, because I'm a Platinum Elite member, my wife and I would either have a access to an executive lounge with a self-service breakfast and an evening buffet of some sort; or we would get a restaurant breakfast in the hotel restaurant. After all, Autograph Collection is one of five legacy Marriott brands with the lounge/breakfast benefit for elite Rewards members.

Now I'm reading the hotel currently provides a minimal breakfast to Elite level guests, seemingly only slightly better than what guests get at a $50 per night TraveLodge.

No thank you.

Last edited by Horace; May 15, 2017 at 9:19 pm
Old May 16, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Horace
I have to admit that I was excited about The Laylow, Autograph Collection, before it opened.

With a central location on Waikiki, a $60 million renovation, and a mid-century style, it seems like a place my wife and I would enjoy staying.

Best of all, it would be a hotel, not a resort. So, because I'm a Platinum Elite member, my wife and I would either have a access to an executive lounge with a self-service breakfast and an evening buffet of some sort; or we would get a restaurant breakfast in the hotel restaurant. After all, Autograph Collection is one of five legacy Marriott brands with the lounge/breakfast benefit for elite Rewards members.

Now I'm reading the hotel currently provides a minimal breakfast to Elite level guests, seemingly only slightly better than what guests get at a $50 per night TraveLodge.

No thank you.
I share your comments as a long time traveler to the islands (35 years ) I was looking for a place that we could sit by the pool relax and not have all the crowds.

This property is emblematic of what your seeing all over the country. Equity capitol at it's best. I am staying at the Hyatt at LAX the old Concourse Hotel cheap redo lots of flash no substance. The cheaper materials and labor is already showing.

Agree with you No to the Laylow. As the old saying goes " you only get what you pay for" looks like SPG for me
Old May 16, 2017, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat

No thank you.
If you want to overlook location, potential rate advantages, the $60 million renovation, and the mid-century aesthetic over what you expect for a free breakfast - go ahead. It is your right. A thoughtful note to the GM might do you (and others) more good. I'm not going to board your crazy train on this one.
Old May 17, 2017, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
They won't waive Amenity fee for Plat

I was curious about the "Amenity fee" so I sent a note and asked does it apply to Platinum's
answer was yes always

I will just stick with the Hyatt Centric next door and save the $125 every week I go to Honolulu ( which is 7-10 times a year)

The response from the front desk manager was quite a bit snippy as well....saying since your booked on AAA rate its "rock bottom" and no further concessions.

Last edited by cbrown5294; May 17, 2017 at 9:05 pm
Old May 17, 2017, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by cbrown5294
I was curious about the "Amenity fee" so I sent a note and asked does it apply to Platinum's
answer was yes always

I will just stick with the Hyatt Centric next door and save the $125 every week I go to Honolulu ( which is 7-10 times a year)
I wonder who the ownership group is ? will check that may shed some light
Old May 17, 2017, 8:38 pm

No thank you.
Skip the "Free breakfast" for elites and just add it on to your room...$50 credit at the restaurant is a-ok in my book.
Old May 17, 2017, 9:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If you want to overlook location, potential rate advantages, the $60 million renovation, and the mid-century aesthetic over what you expect for a free breakfast - go ahead. It is your right. A thoughtful note to the GM might do you (and others) more good. I'm not going to board your crazy train on this one.
So expecting an Autograph Collection hotel to provide a breakfast that meets the expectations of Marriott's Gold and Platinum Elite guests means I'm on a "crazy train" here?

Most Marriott full-service hotels (five of Marriott's brands) try to provide more than the minimum standard for the lounge/breakfast benefit. But The Laylow seems to be providing less than the minimum.

A month ago, I checked prices for dates later this year. The room prices for The Laylow and Waikiki Beach Marriott were similar. My wife and I like to start each vacation day with a nice breakfast. At the time, I thought The Laylow might be the better choice, even though it's away from the beach.

Yes, my wife and I could ignore the lounge/breakfast benefit, and just pay for breakfast in the restaurant at The Laylow each day. But why should I think this is a good idea?

There are many hotels to choose from on Waikiki. Normally, I would look to Marriott properties. Now I can also look to ex-Starwood properties. And there are plenty of other choices.

The Laylow could have a competitive advantage attraction attracting Gold and Platinum Elite guests.
Old May 17, 2017, 9:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

No thank you.
I'm with you on this one.

I put up with HHV's skimping on the elite breakfast because I love the views from Ali'i and Rainbow and it's a true resort ON THE BEACH.

But getting charged a resort fee to stay on Kuhio in a property that's also deliberately dodging the elite breakfast benefit? I join in the "no thank you."
Old May 17, 2017, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
The published breakfast benefit is the same at Autograph Collection as it is at "Marriott" branded properties. This property is just choosing to cheap out in its definition of "continental breakfast."

Waikiki is a relative wasteland for elite benefits in virtually all programs. Reduce expectations accordingly.
Wrong! Marriott might be a wasteland for elite benefits, but margarita girl sums up the SPG options:

(I read that the Mormons put many of the long-time Starwood HI people in charge of the newly merged leadership of the combined Marriott/Starwood HI division of Marriott Int'l. These people run a great operation and hope they bring the Marriott properties up to the Starwood standards.)

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Now that SPG is an option, you should consider Sheraton Waikiki or Westin Moana Surfrider. Both properties are on the beach and have Club Lounges which offer hot breakfast, evening appetizers and free beer/wine. SW's lounge is on 35th (?) floor and offers spectacular views of beach and Diamond Head. MS lounge is on ground floor and has an outdoor terrace which is wonderful for eating outside. (SW sells lounge access for $125/night but it's free for Platinums. Not sure of the amount but I expect MS will be the same.)

SW offers one of the best pools in Waikiki (Edge infinity pool) and there is a row of preferred chairs reserved for Plat guests. The Plat welcome amenity is a paper bag that you fill yourself at the gift shop.

You have options!
Old May 17, 2017, 11:43 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Wrong! Marriott might be a wasteland for elite benefits, but margarita girl sums up the SPG options:
No it's not "Wrong" but thank you so much for your charming response

If you peruse the threads, you'll see that each of the SPG properties has its serious flaws as well, including particularly room size and street noise at the Moana and room size and lack of renovations at the Sheraton.

If you want to cherry pick, I can identify some very nice features of HR and HHV, but both have their serious flaws as well.
Old May 18, 2017, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
If the Laylow's central location, rates & mid-century vibe are of interest to someone, then it's certainly worth staying at. Obviously the breakfast nook is below par compared to what one typically gets at Autographs. Some people don't care about breakfast so that might not matter to them. Others will choose to go off-site or use a credit at the property for brekkie.

Some, if they stay there, should meet w/ the GM to discuss the disappointment/below par offerings - or, if they don't stay there simply because of the offerings, write the GM to let him/her know that another property is getting the revenue & the reason why. If people choose to stay elsewhere based on the lack of the cont'l offering but don't tell the property they're doing so, the property won't know/has no incentive to change.

Cheers.
Old May 18, 2017, 7:16 am

If you peruse the threads, you'll see that each of the SPG properties has its serious flaws as well, including particularly room size and street noise at the Moana and room size and lack of renovations at the Sheraton.

If you want to cherry pick, I can identify some very nice features of HR and HHV, but both have their serious flaws as well.
I whole heartily agree. Laylow is turning into a bucket of worms, ownership is buried pretty good, As far as "The Mormons" putting ex SPG in charge I think I would have written that a bit different. Growing up in the DC area I knew the last generation of Marriotts and some of the cousins in hotel management there are no better group of people in the industry. I have a pretty good idea of what Laylow is and unless everyone complains loudly nothing is going to change. That's what happened at the CY and it has been remodeled but there is so much you can do to a very old poorly constructed building what do you expect.

I have been going to the islands since the early 1970's lots of changes. I pick my favorite place to plop my sorry butt down have a drink and enjoy the beach.
Old May 20, 2017, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium

Speaking of cherry picking, you said "wasteland of elite benefits" to which I used Margarita Girl's post as an example where the SPG properties take good care of Elites in terms of lounge access and/or breakfast even if on award stays. She detailed the above average features of the Waikiki Sheraton and Westin Moana lounges available to SPG Platinum Elites.

You turned that around and addressed physical plant, which I fully agree is something every property in HI has flaws. But I'd argue that again, SPG does a better job with elite recognition as suites & oceanfront rooms are on the table for upgrades so many of those issues are somewhat mitigated for SPG & MR Elite Members. And 3 of the SPG properties are directly on the beach, putting them into a special category.

(FWIW: I've stayed at all Waikiki SPG and MR properties except the Laylow and the Ritz and perhaps my experience is biased due to consistency of ocean facing rooms at SPG, and lack of quality rooms and lounge at the MR properties I stayed.)

But back to topic, I'll still give the Laylow a try. Design is important to me, and it looks good. (Also, Laylow has some really cheap rates on HotelTonight App)
Old May 20, 2017, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I consistently get large ocean front suites (1100 sq ft) at the Sheraton Waikiki 90% of the time. Moana Surfrider is much harder to get a suite (maybe 25% of the time), but I consistently get upgraded to a room in the tower wing (350 sq ft) with balcony and ocean view and nice modern bathroom.

Yes the SW is old but I find the Plat recognition outstanding. You get lounge access with free hot food/alcohol, but they also give you a paper bag to fill with treats, beer, wine from the gift shop. I book my pool chairs months in advance.

The MS has a crappy pool, but I love the colonial feel of the hotel. The beach front lounge (also free hot food and alcohol) is fantastic for sitting outside in the mornings and evenings. No paper bag, but I love the popcorn machine in the lounge for afternoon snacks. I do get chocolate covered macadamia clusters delivered to my room 50% of the time.

I usually stay at both hotels when I go to Waikiki. 2 nights at the SW, 2 nights at the MS, 2 nights at the SW.

I was going to try the Laylow, but will give it a pass after the picture of the breakfast counter!
Old May 21, 2017, 2:19 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Trust MG. Her knowledge wrt HI travel is unsurpassed.

I stayed at the Sheraton based on info she provided me and I couldn't have been more happy. A tremendous upgrade from the Marriott Waikiki I had stayed at a dozen times prior.

I was treated phenomenally well as an SPG Plat matched from MR PP, and I was very impressed. Sort of funny, since it was my first SPG stay ever...!

I had a colleague stay at the Laylow and he was VERY negative about the property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.