Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: windhund
Has an Arrival/Departure Lounge, where travelers can unwind after a long flight. Personal showers and lockers in the lounge also are available to those who need to check out of their rooms before leaving the resort.

Has an amazing view from the Adult Only Infinity Pool

Daily resort fee USD 30 plus tax will be added to rate. As of 2018, the resort fee benefits were as listed below. However, this list came from a card labeled "Resort Fees & Amenities: Elite", and it's not clear which ones are different for or apply only to elites. There's also a disclaimer: "The Resort Fee includes a variety of amenities for our guests. Please note some amenities are subject to availability."
  • Complimentary daily internet
  • Unlimited US Domestic, long distance & local phone calls
  • Outgoing domestic US fax service (up to 20 pages)
  • 15% on Laundry and Dry Cleaning Services
  • 30-minute personal photo session and package upgrade
  • Daily Fitness Classes
  • Daily Hawaiian Cultural Activities
  • 1 hour bicycle rental (2 bicycles per stay)
  • Bottled Water (2 per day)
  • Welcome shell lei greeting upon arrival
  • Courtesy rides within the Wailea Resort (upon availability)
  • Beach Chair Rental (2 per day)
  • Cabana Rentals: 10% discount on full-day cabana rentals at 'Ohi pools, Maluhia pools & NALU adventure pool. Dial 'At Your Service' for reservations
  • Mandara Spa: 10% discount on 50-minute service (excludes special promotions and events)
  • Ocean Concierge & Activities: 20% discount on weekly paddle board rental; complimentary fish identification card; complimentary introductory morning scuba lesson. Visit the 'Ohio Pools for reservations.
  • The Movie House: complimentary movie screenings. View the weekly schedule for showtimes.
  • GameSpace: complimentary access to GameSapce, featuring foosball, billiards, shuffleboard, vintage arcade and Xbox games [for those who haven't been back since the renovation, this is an indoor gaming area they added as part of the renovations. It's at the far end of the lobby opposite the Starbucks.]
  • Akamai Business Center: 20% discount on FedEx & UPS Shipping
Print Wikipost

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old Sep 13, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
Originally Posted by pokee
I stayed in March of this year, and there were several pools, and they were not cold. I assumed they were heated.

I recall 2 hot tubs each by 2 pools (so 4 in total?) by the adult pool and the pool closest to the main tower. Not sure if that's accurate, but they were never busy. Some were empty.

The Starbucks offering is probably worth about $15, I'd guess. Not sure what you get at the restaurant, but I'd suspect it would be better than Starbucks. All depends if you're a Starbucks fan - and if you don't mind the long lines. I'd take the Starbucks, myself...
We were at the Wailea in May.
The hot tubs are at the adult only and regular (not geared specifically to children) pools. Not packed but in use frequently since the sun decided to hide the week we were there.

The restaurant was pretty good for breakfast (great for dinner). We only went one day because if I'm going to pay that much for breakfast I want time to really enjoy my meal! The Starbucks was always PACKED, no way we were waiting in that line even if it had been free. Island Gourmet Market is a 3 minute walk and has a really good breakfast that was inexpensive and has some interesting options (Kimchi Rice with eggs, DH loved it), we grabbed breakfast there most days since we started so early and then we were on the road to our different adventures.

As an aside, we had the most fantastic housekeeper. Every staff member we encountered was genuinely nice and engaging.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
I stayed in March of this year, and there were several pools, and they were not cold. I assumed they were heated.

I recall 2 hot tubs each by 2 pools (so 4 in total?) by the adult pool and the pool closest to the main tower. Not sure if that's accurate, but they were never busy. Some were empty.

The Starbucks offering is probably worth about $15, I'd guess. Not sure what you get at the restaurant, but I'd suspect it would be better than Starbucks. All depends if you're a Starbucks fan - and if you don't mind the long lines. I'd take the Starbucks, myself...
This is reassuring. My spouse is worried about the pool temperatures. If March is warm, December ought to be warm too. Thanks. Any others with pool water temperature during the winter experience?

I agree that the Starbucks is probably worth about $15. Not sure I want to wait in the line and I'm not sure I'd call that "breakfast in the restaurant". But, it is better than nothing. We have two rooms so if they somehow offer us the benefit for both rooms, my kids will love all of the hot chocolate and frozen drinks (assuming they will give us those instead of coffee/tea).
Old Sep 13, 2018, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by hipquest
We were at the Wailea in May.
The hot tubs are at the adult only and regular (not geared specifically to children) pools. Not packed but in use frequently since the sun decided to hide the week we were there.

The restaurant was pretty good for breakfast (great for dinner). We only went one day because if I'm going to pay that much for breakfast I want time to really enjoy my meal! The Starbucks was always PACKED, no way we were waiting in that line even if it had been free. Island Gourmet Market is a 3 minute walk and has a really good breakfast that was inexpensive and has some interesting options (Kimchi Rice with eggs, DH loved it), we grabbed breakfast there most days since we started so early and then we were on the road to our different adventures.

As an aside, we had the most fantastic housekeeper. Every staff member we encountered was genuinely nice and engaging.
Thanks for the info. How was the pool temperature?
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I've also been to the Starbucks plenty of times during prime breakfast hours and had no wait at all. But my strong recommendation is to get breakfast, at least some days of your stay, at the Whale Tail. Nice waterside location, good food and drinks, comfortable seating, and sometimes live entertainment.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
That's true. The Andaz has a long way to go to catch up to the Marriott in terms of physical condition, restaurants, and especially customer service.
Have you ever stayed at the Andaz? My experience there was very good. Just curious.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by sdflyer04
Thanks for the info. How was the pool temperature?
Actually, not bad considering that it was overcast or raining until the day before we left. For some context, I hate being cold and will not go in the Pacific without a wetsuit, lol.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by NauticalWheeler
Have you ever stayed at the Andaz? My experience there was very good. Just curious.
No. I stayed there several times over the years when it was a Renaissance, and it was excellent. It was sad to watch the place abandoned throughout the economic slump, and I was really excited to see it reopen particularly under what is supposed to be a luxury flag. But that excitement quickly turned to disdain the first time I went over there to walk around. Things looked pretty from afar, but up close you could tell the material quality was poor and the construction slipshod. But more disappointing was the aloof, snooty attitude of everyone on staff I came across. To be fair, that attitude matched the nouveau riche clientele (and of course I'm generalizing--no offense intended to you or the other perfectly fine people who were staying there). I visited again on three subsequent visits to Wailea, hoping my experience was anomalous, but kept seeing the same stuff.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by hipquest
Actually, not bad considering that it was overcast or raining until the day before we left. For some context, I hate being cold and will not go in the Pacific without a wetsuit, lol.
Excellent. We are feeling better about our choice. Thanks
Old Sep 15, 2018, 11:47 am

Excellent. We are feeling better about our choice. Thanks
You are very welcome! Let your wife know that the bath amenities are wonderful! (I don't usually use the hotel stuff but I had to due to a luggage delay.) I highly recommend Humble Market Kitchen for at least one dinner. We had a fantastic server and the food was very good. Enjoy your trip!
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:40 pm

Breakfast Sham

I was told that the platinum breakfast offering was pastry of the day, a fruit cup, and coffee/tea at Starbucks or their Whales Tale restaurant. Anyone tried that yet?
Wow, I hope that is not true. How lame. What a way to say FU to their elites. Yesterday's pastry and the dropped fruit off the buffet. They want the benefits of being a Marriott, but not the costs.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: Marriott Plat Elite, Southwest Companion
Originally Posted by jamesfl
Wow, I hope that is not true. How lame. What a way to say FU to their elites. Yesterday's pastry and the dropped fruit off the buffet. They want the benefits of being a Marriott, but not the costs.
Plat elite here who just received a pre-arrival email from the property. They are calling it a "daily light continental breakfast" consisting of what the other poster has mentioned. Seems a little cheap to me, too, but not sure what else to do about it.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ellvizzle

Plat elite here who just received a pre-arrival email from the property. They are calling it a "daily light continental breakfast" consisting of what the other poster has mentioned. Seems a little cheap to me, too, but not sure what else to do about it.
That is really pathetic on Marriott's part. Anyone know if they give a better breakfast option for Premier Plat Elite?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Ellvizzle

That is pretty bad. If they offered this as a choice OR some dollar amount per person, say $18 or something it would allow people to order what they want off the restaurant menu and many would likely exceed that amount. Ive seen that sort of thing offered at Westins with no lounge. Im headed there in October and hope they get enough complaints to improve the policy.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Iguana0

That is pretty bad. If they offered this as a choice OR some dollar amount per person, say $18 or something it would allow people to order what they want off the restaurant menu and many would likely exceed that amount. Ive seen that sort of thing offered at Westins with no lounge. Im headed there in October and hope they get enough complaints to improve the policy.
I'm going there in Dec and curious if they improve the breakfast offering. with the resort fee, parking fee, and pathetic breakfast for Platinum this hotel must be joking.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:03 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I’m a lifetime Platinum Premier or will be in January though I’ve rarely stayed in a Marriott
Also a lifetime Hyatt Globalist
Im sticking with Andaz mostly because their complimentary elite breakfast is awe inspiring and there is no charge for parking or resort fees on points^
Pastry of the day lol that’s just plain insulting
There was a reason why folks took pride staying with Starwood as loyal guests and I can assure you it wasn’t frugal benefits or poor recognition
Seriously how much do 2 eggs cost ? At 600 to 1000 dollars a night for a guest room or 50000 points per night Plus resort fees it’s of my opinion they could do much better
Seriously they can’t afford the published elite breakfast benefit?

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Oct 4, 2018 at 9:11 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.