Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: windhund
Has an Arrival/Departure Lounge, where travelers can unwind after a long flight. Personal showers and lockers in the lounge also are available to those who need to check out of their rooms before leaving the resort.

Has an amazing view from the Adult Only Infinity Pool

Daily resort fee USD 30 plus tax will be added to rate. As of 2018, the resort fee benefits were as listed below. However, this list came from a card labeled "Resort Fees & Amenities: Elite", and it's not clear which ones are different for or apply only to elites. There's also a disclaimer: "The Resort Fee includes a variety of amenities for our guests. Please note some amenities are subject to availability."
  • Complimentary daily internet
  • Unlimited US Domestic, long distance & local phone calls
  • Outgoing domestic US fax service (up to 20 pages)
  • 15% on Laundry and Dry Cleaning Services
  • 30-minute personal photo session and package upgrade
  • Daily Fitness Classes
  • Daily Hawaiian Cultural Activities
  • 1 hour bicycle rental (2 bicycles per stay)
  • Bottled Water (2 per day)
  • Welcome shell lei greeting upon arrival
  • Courtesy rides within the Wailea Resort (upon availability)
  • Beach Chair Rental (2 per day)
  • Cabana Rentals: 10% discount on full-day cabana rentals at 'Ohi pools, Maluhia pools & NALU adventure pool. Dial 'At Your Service' for reservations
  • Mandara Spa: 10% discount on 50-minute service (excludes special promotions and events)
  • Ocean Concierge & Activities: 20% discount on weekly paddle board rental; complimentary fish identification card; complimentary introductory morning scuba lesson. Visit the 'Ohio Pools for reservations.
  • The Movie House: complimentary movie screenings. View the weekly schedule for showtimes.
  • GameSpace: complimentary access to GameSapce, featuring foosball, billiards, shuffleboard, vintage arcade and Xbox games [for those who haven't been back since the renovation, this is an indoor gaming area they added as part of the renovations. It's at the far end of the lobby opposite the Starbucks.]
  • Akamai Business Center: 20% discount on FedEx & UPS Shipping
Print Wikipost

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
So your "free" week is going to end up costing almost $500! Ridiculous.
Yep - us, too! But it's a heck of a lot better than the $3500+US it would cost me without using my points!!!!
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:08 am
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by pokee
Yep - us, too! But it's a heck of a lot better than the $3500+US it would cost me without using my points!!!!
We got a great redemption on an upcoming stay. Here are the original costs:

Room for 7 nights after taxes and fees: $4731
3 seats round trip 1st class (lie flat on longhaul) from east coast: $11526

We will only be paying under $300 for for the week (resort fee and flight fees) along with 383,000 United Miles and 360,000 Marriott Rewards points.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by NDN
We got a great redemption on an upcoming stay. Here are the original costs:

Room for 7 nights after taxes and fees: $4731
3 seats round trip 1st class (lie flat on longhaul) from east coast: $11526

We will only be paying under $300 for for the week (resort fee and flight fees) along with 383,000 United Miles and 360,000 Marriott Rewards points.
Sweeeet! I take it you're going in March? That's a pretty expensive time. We're going the third week of March for 6 nights and rooms were ~$500+taxes each night (now going for over $600 a night). We paid 200K points + $240 taxes/fees, and then 4 aeroplan tickets (don't ask what the taxes were from YVR...ugh! We usually fly from BLI or SEA to avoid that). Wish we were flying first class, too! But our flights are only 5-6 hours from the west coast - not too bad for economy.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:43 pm
NDN

Originally Posted by pokee
Sweeeet! I take it you're going in March? That's a pretty expensive time. We're going the third week of March for 6 nights and rooms were ~$500+taxes each night (now going for over $600 a night). We paid 200K points + $240 taxes/fees, and then 4 aeroplan tickets (don't ask what the taxes were from YVR...ugh! We usually fly from BLI or SEA to avoid that). Wish we were flying first class, too! But our flights are only 5-6 hours from the west coast - not too bad for economy.

Yes. End of March is spring break. It's very rate to get more than 2 cents per point for Marriott points!
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by NDN
Yes. End of March is spring break. It's very rate to get more than 2 cents per point for Marriott points!
Oh YES, I am lucky if I get 1 cent per point! I typically only get 2 cents or better with flights. I am getting over 2.5 cents per point for my stay, so I am very happy! Same with a trip to NYC I have planned in December! Aside from value alone, that 5th night free and the ability to book before earning are why I keep coming back to Marriott...
Old Feb 16, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: Amex MR, SPG, Aeroplan
Hello!

Searched through the thread, but I could not locate any mention of this: if this property is adhering to "no blackout" policy? The reason why I'm asking, the Garden room (based on my understanding, the "standard" room type at this hotel) is available for cash on July dates, however, looking at the points redemptions, I'm only offered Ocean view room which requires $100 cash upgrade (on top of the usual resort fees and whatnot). Called Marriott reservations, and they were of no help, claiming that this each hotel gets to pick how many rooms they make available for points, and no, this does not translate into "blackout" policy nor "inventory control" of any kind (?).

Is this the usual approach for this hotel? Allowing a limited number of standard rooms for points?
Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Lazarev
Hello!

Searched through the thread, but I could not locate any mention of this: if this property is adhering to "no blackout" policy? The reason why I'm asking, the Garden room (based on my understanding, the "standard" room type at this hotel) is available for cash on July dates, however, looking at the points redemptions, I'm only offered Ocean view room which requires $100 cash upgrade (on top of the usual resort fees and whatnot). Called Marriott reservations, and they were of no help, claiming that this each hotel gets to pick how many rooms they make available for points, and no, this does not translate into "blackout" policy nor "inventory control" of any kind (?).

Is this the usual approach for this hotel? Allowing a limited number of standard rooms for points?
I suspect the lack of room options for you is due to occupancy only. I've been trolling points redemptions for this hotel for well over a year now and there always seems to be plenty of options.

I booked a garden room on points for March, when it's spring break and really busy and expensive. But I booked about 10 months in advance. When I checked a few months ago, the garden room wasn't available anymore, but standard rooms were. And now searching again recently, it's only ocean view rooms available.

So I'd say that no, they do not blackout rooms, they are probably just quite booked up.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
if this property is adhering to "no blackout" policy?
Marriott doesn't have a "no blackout" policy. A hotel is welcome to have standard rooms for sale but not offer them on points.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Marriott doesn't have a "no blackout" policy. A hotel is welcome to have standard rooms for sale but not offer them on points.
Odd, I assumed this bit from Marriott is actual Marriott policy:
What does it mean to have “No Blackout Dates”?Hotels have standard rooms available for redemptions every day. Blackout dates traditionally refer to a limited number of dates on which a hotel could choose not to accept redemptions. With our “No Blackout Dates” policy, hotels will no longer have blackout dates for redemptions. Hotels may limit the number of standard rooms available for redemption on a limited number of days.
So, even with above policy, they are allowed to offer garden room ("standard" room that has no mandatory cash/points upgrade cost) for cash, but not offer it for points? I know July is busy, but "a limited number of days" is stretchy definition... means it can (and will) include the whole month in summer?
Old Feb 16, 2018, 12:35 pm
NDN

So, even with above policy, they are allowed to offer garden room ("standard" room that has no mandatory cash/points upgrade cost) for cash, but not offer it for points? I know July is busy, but "a limited number of days" is stretchy definition... means it can (and will) include the whole month in summer?
Blackout Dates. You keep using that term. I do not think it means what you think it means.

The Marriott policy only requires that the hotel have some number of rooms available for points redemptions. It is NOT the same policy that SPG has, where if a standard room is available for cash, then it is available for points redemption. A hotel could have 10 rooms available for points redemptions. Then 10 people book them. Then the hotel has 0 rooms available for points redemptions. The hotel could still have rooms available for cash.
pokee likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 12:45 pm

I was swayed a bit by the wording:
Hotels may limit the number of standard rooms available for redemption on a limited number of days.
Thinking that "limited number of days" means all other days will have standard rooms available if there are present for cash. I guess I don't know how to read policies - "optimistic" reading is just that - overly optimistic Too much SPG-brain-mush.

Thanks for the explanation.

Is there a list of "limited dates" accessible anywhere?

Last edited by Lazarev; Feb 16, 2018 at 12:58 pm
Old Feb 16, 2018, 2:22 pm

Since I booked a garden room with points for high season (mid-March) - I have proof that they don't have blackouts for popular dates. I suspect that their max amount of garden rooms available for points redemption in July are already booked up, since this hotel has a limited number of garden rooms in the first place.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Thinking that "limited number of days" means all other days will have standard rooms available if there are present for cash. I guess I don't know how to read policies - "optimistic" reading is just that - overly optimistic Too much SPG-brain-mush.
Hyatt has the rule you're thinking of and it is pretty much worthless at many properties because they just play games with the room categories and minimum stay requirements. Marriott is so much better than Hyatt in terms of properties making awards available it is not even funny. It's not all about the program rules, but also the properties' attitude toward the loyalty program.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:34 pm
sjv

I'm planning on using a 7N Marriott Travel Package certificate. Would that be for just 2 adults? Could I do 4 total in the room with 2 queens and would that incur a surcharge? Thanks.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
2 Adults and 2 Children in one room with two queen beds should be fine and no additional charge. If it is 4 adults, probably expect to pay an additional charge. Best bet is to call/email the hotel to be sure.

--Jon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.