Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Hotel Singapore South Beach, Singapore [Master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Hotel email: [email protected]
Reservations email:
[email protected]
Duty manager: [email protected]

April 2017 Photos - see posts 45-51

From website: In Executive Lounge no children below 12 years allowed after 7pm and smart casual attire is required-no shorts/slippers

As of 2023, shorts seem to have been removed from the lounge dress code exclusion. ElevatorEnthusiast definitely wore them.
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Hotel Singapore South Beach, Singapore [Master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2017, 4:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Srisarin
Kinda makes me wonder where they just sent $20-mil to refurb the prop on
That's a good question. Th lobby is reconfigured differently, but the only new furniture since the changeover has been the addition of a formal front desk. The executive lounge didn't exist before, but that can't be a $20 million lounge. Some of the restaurants were unfinished before, so perhaps that is where the money went. As well as for the second pool.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 6:15 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sandyph
Stayed last weekend, booked a deluxe room and upgraded to deluxe suite after asking. So no harm in asking if they don't automatically upgraded you

breakfast was at executive lounge which don't seems to have the capacity for weekends when there are people with families (including me, so can't really complain )

the pool at 18f have good view but the water is very cold just like people have mentioned. on the next day we use the 6f pool and though the water still cold, there are some semblance of sunlight. and it also have good view of the suntec-marina square junction, I'd imagine there are lots of people watching from here during the F1

and as aks120 mentioned, the bed was quite hard but still comfortable.
Originally Posted by Srisarin
Are we talking about the same pool that literally all previous guests have stated is limited to polar bears usage !?
Originally Posted by funkbandit
asks120 didn't diclose if the pool was actually used for aquatic activity. So as long as you consider the pool area an observation deck you should be fine.

OT: It may take a while befor polar bears will find out that there is a great pool waiting for them in Singapore
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, as an observation deck it's spectacular. As a "swimming pool" it is a spectacular fail. There's no sun and literally nowhere to lounge. Just a single wooden bench where you can put your towel.

I have found myself napping on the observation deck way more than a few times. If they put up a hammock, I would literally just rent that as my room. Never get hot, never get cold etc.

The pool is very chilly, even in August, heating it would be trivial with all the sun, could easily use a solar heater and not cost a ton.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
Great hotel, spent a few nights last month - upgraded to nice suite as Paltinum
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
That's a good question. Th lobby is reconfigured differently, but the only new furniture since the changeover has been the addition of a formal front desk. The executive lounge didn't exist before, but that can't be a $20 million lounge. Some of the restaurants were unfinished before, so perhaps that is where the money went. As well as for the second pool.
$20m seems like a lot since the hotel was very new to begin with.

Other than the pool being freezing and not having any place to sit in the sun, its a great design of a hotel. I'm not sure how to fix that but that deck is nice. They need to heat the water, and bring some chairs around the pool to create a vibe.

I don't know what the rest of the fuss is about being a JW. It's certainly on par with other JW's even if the design is more unique.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 1:53 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I just had 2 days here and I liked it very much. Staff in the EL were very nice and I also liked the food (in fact, my only problem was the opposite of what someone above said - I found the bacon overcooked the first time I tried it). I generally went to the Chef Station to get stuff rustled up though (and I never tried the afternoon tea spread as I always out during the day). The big downside is the awful silvery chairs, as everyone knows, but there a few comfy couches near the back. To compensate for this, they had an excellent Sauvignon Blanc during the first evening, but once it ran out the replacement was markedly inferior and unfortunately it didn’t reappear on the second night.

I went up to Flow 18 where the notorious Polar Bear Pool is - I actually didn’t find it too bad but it did feel supercold when I first waded in. Admittedly, it’s not the kind of pool you’ll linger in for long but the Flow 18 area is a cool place to hang out even if you don’t fancy the pool.

So yes, this JW does have a few quirks and is definitely not a ‘canonical’ JW (whatever that is), but I’d have no qualms about going back there when I return to SIN.

BTW, I really liked the beds - mine was so darned comfy my biggest problem was forcing myself to get out of it in the morning! I’m now in a suite at the IC KUL and the bed is nowhere near as nice as what I had at the South Beach (although it seems to be at least double the size).
aks120, Lee72 and LF72 like this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Are they still letting kids in the lounge at night?
I am trying to remember if I saw any, but I can't remember seeing any children at night. I guess you could call to see if they have changed the rules? There is a children's area/family area set up in the lounge.

Billy
Old Nov 8, 2017, 10:13 pm

I forgot to mention this in my post above but for the 2 days I stayed there I didn't experience any issues with children in the lounge. In fact, I hardly saw any kids (it was Thu,Fri) and none of them were causing disruption.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 2:41 am

Heard the pool is a bit chilly. Does the pool area get sun? Will be coming from wintery Germany in Feb and will definitely need rays!
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LF72
Heard the pool is a bit chilly. Does the pool area get sun? Will be coming from wintery Germany in Feb and will definitely need rays!
You might want to stay somewhere else then
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
You might want to stay somewhere else then
Good to know, thanks. I was considering the Tang Plaza, but I'm not as happy with the location.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Good to know, thanks. I was considering the Tang Plaza, but I'm not as happy with the location.
I haven't stayed at the Tang Plaza but the JW is a great property -- but for the stupid pool setup and spotty wifi. The pool area looks great from a design perspective but isn't set up for anyone to sit by the pool as there isn't any place to really sit near the pool and there certainly isn't any sun.

If you can stand the freezing water, the social media picture will look good though and the pool floor has some good places to sit around the sides of the floor, to escape the heat, and to enjoy the great views. Just don't ask for a mixed drink, however, as the bartender (when the bar is open) will proudly tell you they don't serve cocktails!

It's still a nice property and my go to place in Singapore

Last edited by C17PSGR; Nov 10, 2017 at 10:06 am
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
spotty wifi
Deal killer for me. Particularly since the property was spectacularly evasive when I raised this issue with them. My takeaway was they know about the problem, and are doing nothing to fix it.

My next stay will probably go to the new Andaz, which looks really nice, or an FHR booking at MO.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 11:17 am

I haven't stayed at the Tang Plaza but the JW is a great property -- but for the stupid pool setup and spotty wifi.
I had no issues with the Wifi - I've stayed in tons of places in Europe that had much worse wifi, including virtually every IHG property or IC I've ever stayed in.

Just don't ask for a mixed drink, however, as the bartender (when the bar is open) will proudly tell you they don't serve cocktails!
Odd. I had them serve me a cocktail last Saturday shortly before I checked out.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I stayed at the Marriott Tang this past week. I am not sure why people don’t like the location, I know it’s sort of like staying in Times Square, but the subway (and Singapore’s subway is fantastic) is right underneath the hotel. I thought the executive lounge was good, a very substantial breakfast and dinner option and it’s basically, if you want to take advantage of it, 4 hours of open bar each night (and in Singapore alcohol is expensive). And the internet worked great at the hotel. I will definitely stay there again the next time I am in Singapore.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I've stayed there at Christmas. It gets plenty of sun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.