Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Hotel Singapore South Beach, Singapore [Master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Hotel email: [email protected]
Reservations email:
[email protected]
Duty manager: [email protected]

April 2017 Photos - see posts 45-51

From website: In Executive Lounge no children below 12 years allowed after 7pm and smart casual attire is required-no shorts/slippers

As of 2023, shorts seem to have been removed from the lounge dress code exclusion. ElevatorEnthusiast definitely wore them.
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Hotel Singapore South Beach, Singapore [Master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2018, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
It's really too bad about the pools. Worse yet, they've known this since the property first opened under the same owners but as the independently managed South Beach. Actually, I was told by a manager that left when Marriott flagged the property that the bad pool design was partly why the hotel didn't succeed as an independent hotel.

They removed some of the cladding above the secondary pool, which I believe only opened once the J.W. Marriott flag was flying, but there is still enough of it that the sun is minimal at best. Had it not been for these major design flaws, the Singapore J.W. Marriott would be an incredible property.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by bdschobel

Welcome letter attached.
Is that platinum only?
Old Mar 13, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Yeah, that's exactly what mine said

Also, I made up for the price of my room in the fresh watermelon juice drinks. Good lord, that was worse than crack laced heroin meth drug or some ..... Holy crap, I went thru watermelon withdrawals for a week after leaving. That and dragon fruit.
Thunderroad likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
It's really too bad about the pools. Worse yet, they've known this since the property first opened under the same owners but as the independently managed South Beach. Actually, I was told by a manager that left when Marriott flagged the property that the bad pool design was partly why the hotel didn't succeed as an independent hotel.

They removed some of the cladding above the secondary pool, which I believe only opened once the J.W. Marriott flag was flying, but there is still enough of it that the sun is minimal at best. Had it not been for these major design flaws, the Singapore J.W. Marriott would be an incredible property.
The poor pool was the number one reason I didn't stay there on my last trip. Instead, I stayed at the Westin, which has a very good pool.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LF72
The poor pool was the number one reason I didn't stay there on my last trip. Instead, I stayed at the Westin, which has a very good pool.
The Marriott and Hyatt also have good pools for sunbathing, though the Hyatt was disappointing as a hotel, especially given all the hype it receives online. I thought it was kind of past-due for a renovation. I've been told the pool on the roof of the The Fullerton, which is the old colonial-era post office, is very nice.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by bdschobel
Beats me. It's what I got.

Bruce
So that serves me right for not paying due attention to the welcome letter and going by what the lounge staff were telling me.

Still seems odd that they were insistent that breakfast could only be taken in the lounge given that I'm a Plat and there's no higher tier. I'd put it down to language barriers but there was no problem with their English.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Yeah, that's exactly what mine said

Also, I made up for the price of my room in the fresh watermelon juice drinks. Good lord, that was worse than crack laced heroin meth drug or some ..... Holy crap, I went thru watermelon withdrawals for a week after leaving. That and dragon fruit.
Yeah, it's almost worth going back just for those
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 1:59 pm

The Marriott and Hyatt also have good pools for sunbathing, though the Hyatt was disappointing as a hotel, especially given all the hype it receives online. I thought it was kind of past-due for a renovation. I've been told the pool on the roof of the The Fullerton, which is the old colonial-era post office, is very nice.
Big fan of the Fullerton. Had a bunch of SPG and Marriott points, so I stayed at the Westin for 5 nights and the JW for one. Was upgraded at both. At the JW it was a very spacious suite.

Will need to do some serious thinking on where to stay on the next visit....
Old Mar 14, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LF72
Big fan of the Fullerton. Had a bunch of SPG and Marriott points, so I stayed at the Westin for 5 nights and the JW for one. Was upgraded at both. At the JW it was a very spacious suite.

Will need to do some serious thinking on where to stay on the next visit....
I am not going to make an excuse for the pool, it could be fixed quickly and cheaply and they choose not to...fine

But the entire 18th floor. I have found myself asleep in those wicker chairs waaaaayyyyyy more than once. Beautiful view and not to hot in the summer (with a good breeze) and just enough chilly in the winter to make you bring a long sleeve shirt, but best naps I have had in years out there.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
I am not going to make an excuse for the pool, it could be fixed quickly and cheaply and they choose not to...fine

But the entire 18th floor. I have found myself asleep in those wicker chairs waaaaayyyyyy more than once. Beautiful view and not to hot in the summer (with a good breeze) and just enough chilly in the winter to make you bring a long sleeve shirt, but best naps I have had in years out there.
Concur on the wicker chairs. That said, what is with the metal chairs in the lounge? You really get the feeling they don't want you to spend too much time in there.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 7:26 am

Programs: AY Plat, Marriott Plat
Anyone knows if the executive lounge is still serving champagne during evening cocktails?
Old Mar 28, 2018, 9:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mechu
Anyone knows if the executive lounge is still serving champagne during evening cocktails?
It was never champagne. It was prosecco, if I remember rightly.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:16 am

It was never champagne. It was prosecco, if I remember rightly.
Yes, prosecco or cava - at least during my stay there in November. I’d be surprised if they’d switched to serving actual champers.

Last edited by yurtripper; Mar 28, 2018 at 1:01 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 1, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: AY Plat, Marriott Plat
Was just there over the weekend and they were indeed serving prosecco. Brand was Belstar.

I read some very early reviews (when it was first rebranded to JW) that mentioned champagne was served in the lounge but I guess that may have been for a limited time only.

Already saw several comments here on how cold the 18th floor pool is but it was way colder than what I expected... almost unbearable and it didn't help that there was nothing shielding you from the wind as the entire floor is very open... if only they can look into heating the pool somehow...

I am gold and the welcome letter (addressed to gold specifically) states that breakfast is at the lounge only so I am guessing the restaurant option might only be for platinum members. Food offerings during evening happy hour weren't particularly appealing (mini quiche, deep fried mozzarella, har gow, chicken quesadilla, eggplant with tomato sauce) and weren't up to par with the marriott at tangs.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 10:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mechu
Food offerings during evening happy hour weren't particularly appealing (mini quiche, deep fried mozzarella, har gow, chicken quesadilla, eggplant with tomato sauce) and weren't up to par with the marriott at tangs.
That sounds like a downgrade from my visit last year. Were the stations manned by chefs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.