Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Hotel Singapore South Beach, Singapore [Master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Hotel email: [email protected]
Reservations email:
[email protected]
Duty manager: [email protected]

April 2017 Photos - see posts 45-51

From website: In Executive Lounge no children below 12 years allowed after 7pm and smart casual attire is required-no shorts/slippers

As of 2023, shorts seem to have been removed from the lounge dress code exclusion. ElevatorEnthusiast definitely wore them.
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Hotel Singapore South Beach, Singapore [Master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
1. Evening spread in executive lounge begins at 5:30 p.m., but the executive lounge is basically either (1) single guests or (2) families too cheap to take their kids to a restaurant. The whole lounge is taken over with hardly a place to escape the noise of kids running about. The attendants told me the hotel recently allowed families to use the lounge. Be warned. Also, the executive lounge supposedly has a dress code of "smart casual" but many guests wore flip-flops, athletic attire, etc.
That's very different from when I was there. Sounds like a big downgrade.

My issue at this property was poor internet and a truly spectacular service recovery fail when I complained about it. Back to GH for my next Singapore stay.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Thanks for the update, hockeyinsider. What you say about the lounge is very discouraging but even before reading that I could tell from the pics (silly furniture) that the lounge wasn't going to be a highlight of the stay.

My other options are St. Regis and Westin but they don't look compelling either. This really needs to be a points redemption to contain the costs and both of those cost 20K per night, versus the JW at effectively 13.3K starpoints. I don't see anything in those properties which really merits shelling out 50% more points than the JW.

If it was a weekend stay I'd simply stay at the IC and use my free night with the Ambassador certificate. Instead, I'm using that in Kuala Lumpur.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
If you look at the top of the booking page giving the rates there is a highlighted notice:

Please Note – In Executive Lounge no children below 12 years allowed after 7pm and smart casual attire is required-no shorts/slippers
(my emphasis)

It conspicuously displays the same notice at the top of my reservation page also.

This seems to be at variance with what hockeyinsider said in his post above. I wonder - is this a (very) recent update to their page, possibly in response to complaints, or is the hotel acting at variance to their stated conditions?
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
That's very different from when I was there. Sounds like a big downgrade.

My issue at this property was poor internet and a truly spectacular service recovery fail when I complained about it. Back to GH for my next Singapore stay.
The attendant told me it was a recent change. He admitted he agreed with my complaints but said management decided to allow kids in the lounge. For example, the Grand Hyatt doesn't allow children after 5 p.m.

I'm guessing lounge access for families is a huge revenue stream because most of the kids were age 2-8. In fact, every guest I saw over two days throughout the hotel I also saw in the lounge. I'm guessing they sell lounge access. It's easier for families to take their kids to the buffet in the executive lounge than a restaurant. The problem is it ceases to be an executive lounge and more a family buffet. This is evident by the fact that there is only one computer and it's hidden behind a wall in the far corner of the lounge.

Yeah. The internet is only good in the rooms, but in the executive lounge, public spaces, pool and so forth it is unreliable. Also, there is no enhanced, high-speed wireless option -- a first for me at a Marriott property.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Aug 31, 2017 at 2:10 pm
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by yurtripper
Thanks for the update, hockeyinsider. What you say about the lounge is very discouraging but even before reading that I could tell from the pics (silly furniture) that the lounge wasn't going to be a highlight of the stay.

My other options are St. Regis and Westin but they don't look compelling either. This really needs to be a points redemption to contain the costs and both of those cost 20K per night, versus the JW at effectively 13.3K starpoints. I don't see anything in those properties which really merits shelling out 50% more points than the JW.

If it was a weekend stay I'd simply stay at the IC and use my free night with the Ambassador certificate. Instead, I'm using that in Kuala Lumpur.
I will say that the food and beverage offerings are very, very good. One of the best lounge spreads -- in terms of selection and quality. I don't know if the food changes every night, though. If not, it might get old for a week-long stay. It's a little weird seeing adults get hammered off booze while sitting with their kids.

If they would improve the coffee situation and fix the kids/families issue, this would be one of the better lounges in the Marriott system.

One of the downsides of the generous open-bar in the lounge is that the hotel's bars were empty every time I walked by. That's too bad because the lobby bar in particular is kind of classic. I'd rather get a platinum coupon for complimentary wine in the lobby bar. At least it would fill chairs because nobody wants to go to a bar with no customers.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yurtripper
If you look at the top of the booking page giving the rates there is a highlighted notice:

(my emphasis)

It conspicuously displays the same notice at the top of my reservation page also.

This seems to be at variance with what hockeyinsider said in his post above. I wonder - is this a (very) recent update to their page, possibly in response to complaints, or is the hotel acting at variance to their stated conditions?
The welcome letter one receives at check-in also reiterates the dress code, but it is not followed whatsoever. Supposedly, you aren't supposed to take food and beverage out of the lounge, but staff didn't stop me from taking the horrible coffee (it was better than the instant coffee in the room), bottles of water and cans of Diet Pepsi back to my room as the lounge was too noisy.

As I said earlier, staff said management made a recent change.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum

I'm guessing lounge access for families is a huge revenue stream because most of the kids were age 2-8. In fact, every guest I saw over two days throughout the hotel I also saw in the lounge. I'm guessing they sell lounge access. It's easier for families to take their kids to the buffet in the executive lounge than a restaurant. The problem is it ceases to be an executive lounge and more a family buffet. This is evident by the fact that there is only one computer and it's hidden behind a wall in the far corner of the lounge.
​​​​​​
Of course they sell executive lounge access, all properties do that. Book an executive room and you have access, the price difference is often not that big. Usually you can make the upgrade at check-in if you want to. Elites are just used to getting it for free.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 5:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
​​​​​​
Of course they sell executive lounge access, all properties do that. Book an executive room and you have access, the price difference is often not that big. Usually you can make the upgrade at check-in if you want to. Elites are just used to getting it for free.
I'm aware of that, but there are some properties that don't really monetize the lounge and there are others that do. The lounge seems to be a replacement for a restaurant, judging by how many people use it, how it's setup, and so forth.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I'm aware of that, but there are some properties that don't really monetize the lounge and there are others that do. The lounge seems to be a replacement for a restaurant, judging by how many people use it, how it's setup, and so forth.
In many Asian properties I find it far more common that people on family vacations, or family weekend outings buy (I am guessing buy) lounge access as part of their booking. Not just Marriott, but have also seen this at Conrads and Hyatts accross the region.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 6:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
In many Asian properties I find it far more common that people on family vacations, or family weekend outings buy (I am guessing buy) lounge access as part of their booking. Not just Marriott, but have also seen this at Conrads and Hyatts accross the region.
I agree, but it kind of makes sense because most Asian lounges are very good. The problem, however, is the executive lounge becomes more of a cafeteria for families than a real executive lounge. That's the issue.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The problem, however, is the executive lounge becomes more of a cafeteria for families than a real executive lounge. That's the issue.
Typically this is more of a weekend issue at Asian properties.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Any photos of that pool?
furthermore, how visible is the F1 track from the lounge/pool/rooms?
Old Sep 1, 2017, 1:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
Any photos of that pool?
furthermore, how visible is the F1 track from the lounge/pool/rooms?
The pool on the sixth floor in the east tower has views of the street. You can see the race track already setup. The hotel had promotional advertising saying it would have special events in the pool area the day of the race. On the 18th floor, at the main pool, you can't really see it unless they open the balcony.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 3:41 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I agree, but it kind of makes sense because most Asian lounges are very good. The problem, however, is the executive lounge becomes more of a cafeteria for families than a real executive lounge. That's the issue.
Not wanting to divert the main topic, this is very true. I've been to a number of lounges in Asia during the last couple of months, and the worst is during the school holidays or weekends where the lounges are jam packed with lots of families, couples, etc.

I am fine that they have the option to buy or just book a room with Executive floor access (as mentioned normally the F&B are equivalent to a reasonable dinner) - but in my opinion, the hotel should than make additional arrangements to not turn it into a sour experience for their guests - e.g. no sitting place, insufficient food, bad quality food, etc.

I find that if a hotel is not able to accommodate the sudden surge of eligible guests, please limit the offer or inventory of selling these packages/access (without impacting guests with status).

Cheers!
Old Sep 1, 2017, 6:32 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
while I appreciate your desires, hotels aren't going to cut their own financial throats by implementing the way you want it to be

I also want to avoid rug rats so I just travel when there are no school or national holidays and avoid resorts known to cater to families on weekends

I also avoid properties that don't enforce their own stated rules regarding dress code and no children in lounge during certain times so I find the negative comments on FT and take them into consideration before booking

Originally Posted by nldogbert
Not wanting to divert the main topic, this is very true. I've been to a number of lounges in Asia during the last couple of months, and the worst is during the school holidays or weekends where the lounges are jam packed with lots of families, couples, etc.

I am fine that they have the option to buy or just book a room with Executive floor access (as mentioned normally the F&B are equivalent to a reasonable dinner) - but in my opinion, the hotel should than make additional arrangements to not turn it into a sour experience for their guests - e.g. no sitting place, insufficient food, bad quality food, etc.

I find that if a hotel is not able to accommodate the sudden surge of eligible guests, please limit the offer or inventory of selling these packages/access (without impacting guests with status).

Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.