Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Hotel Singapore South Beach, Singapore [Master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Hotel email: [email protected]
Reservations email:
[email protected]
Duty manager: [email protected]

April 2017 Photos - see posts 45-51

From website: In Executive Lounge no children below 12 years allowed after 7pm and smart casual attire is required-no shorts/slippers

As of 2023, shorts seem to have been removed from the lounge dress code exclusion. ElevatorEnthusiast definitely wore them.
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Hotel Singapore South Beach, Singapore [Master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I did a week at this hotel last year just before it became part of J.W. Marriott. My only complaint back then was the food spread every day was the same, which might not be enjoyable if you ate there every day.

Also, the rooftop pool, which is unheated, gets zero sunshine because it's covered. Supposedly, even before it became the J.W., a newer pool that actually got sunshine was planned but not yet built. It doesn't appear to have been built.

When I was there the hotel was dead. Like I swear I was the only guest. It was never effectively marketed as an independent, upscale, boutique hotel. I'm sure the occupancy rates have increased as I've seen it heavily promoted across numerous Marriott channels and in various Marriott publications. The staff, as with most Asian hotels, were excellent. They were almost exclusively in their 20s.
The concierge lounge was doing some food rotations when I was there last month.

I don't really get the design on the pool or pool floor. Singapore has great architecture and the floor itself is intriguing. However, the pool looks cool but is super cold, even on a 95 degree day because of the absence of sunshine and there's not really a place to sit in the sun.

Still not sure the occupancy is that much better. There were people in the concierge lounge but based on the absence of seeing hardly anyone move around the property, up on the pool deck, or in the lobby, I'd be surprised if there were more than 50 rooms occupied while I was there. The staff is definitely excellent though.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 4:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
The concierge lounge was doing some food rotations when I was there last month.

I don't really get the design on the pool or pool floor. Singapore has great architecture and the floor itself is intriguing. However, the pool looks cool but is super cold, even on a 95 degree day because of the absence of sunshine and there's not really a place to sit in the sun.

Still not sure the occupancy is that much better. There were people in the concierge lounge but based on the absence of seeing hardly anyone move around the property, up on the pool deck, or in the lobby, I'd be surprised if there were more than 50 rooms occupied while I was there. The staff is definitely excellent though.
The pool is definitely below-standard, especially for an almost brand-new building. Supposedly, a proper rooftop pool is suppose to open at some point. I'm guessing--and only guessing--they don't have the money.

I know when I stayed at the hotel it had been in a "soft opening" phase for several months. It was just empty. Like some mornings I didn't see anyone for breakfast in the 90 minutes I was down there. I think I saw a half-dozen people total--not including staff--in the 6 nights/7 days that I stayed there.

Supposedly you get free Singapore sling cocktails in the lounge now.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 5:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Supposedly, even before it became the J.W., a newer pool that actually got sunshine was planned but not yet built. It doesn't appear to have been built.
There is a second pool, it's on a lower floor (4 or 5?) in the other tower. I did not check it out.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 5:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
There is a second pool, it's on a lower floor (4 or 5?) in the other tower. I did not check it out.
That's new then. It wasn't there when I stayed. I'd be curious to know if it gets sun.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 10:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
[QUOTE=hockeyinsider;28509246
Supposedly you get free Singapore sling cocktails in the lounge now.[/QUOTE]

beer, wine, sparkling wine, gin but definitely no Singapore Sling in the lounge or by the pool.

I'm skeptical of the rooftop pool. I stayed on the top floor a couple of times. They spent too much money on that pool to build another one. They need to heat it and open the outer area where people can sit in the sun.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 4:26 am
Suspended

beer, wine, sparkling wine, gin but definitely no Singapore Sling in the lounge or by the pool.

I'm skeptical of the rooftop pool. I stayed on the top floor a couple of times. They spent too much money on that pool to build another one. They need to heat it and open the outer area where people can sit in the sun.
Hmm. The guest services manager told me they now have complimentary Singapore slings in the lounge.

He's also the one who told me about the new pool.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 11:56 am

Hmm. The guest services manager told me they now have complimentary Singapore slings in the lounge.

He's also the one who told me about the new pool.
I haven't been there for five weeks. Maybe it has changed since that time.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Hi guys, I'm planning to stay here Saturday night during the F1 grand prix next month, and have some questions hopefully someone can help me with.
1. Any complimentary drinks at the pool?
2. Is the 18th floor lounge area, the area around the pool, or a separate lounge?
3. What floor is the Executive lounge on?
4. Does the EL still offer Taittinger?
5. Booked the base deluxe room on points. What room/tower should I place a special request for if I wanted views of the track?
6. Anyone else planning to be there for F1?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
Hi guys, I'm planning to stay here Saturday night during the F1 grand prix next month, and have some questions hopefully someone can help me with.
1. Any complimentary drinks at the pool?
2. Is the 18th floor lounge area, the area around the pool, or a separate lounge?
3. What floor is the Executive lounge on?
4. Does the EL still offer Taittinger?
5. Booked the base deluxe room on points. What room/tower should I place a special request for if I wanted views of the track?
6. Anyone else planning to be there for F1?
No complimentary drinks at the pool.
The Lounge is on the 2d or 3rd floor. It is separate from the pool area, which has a small bar. Can't remember if the EL had Taittinger in the evening.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The Lounge is on the 2d or 3rd floor. It is separate from the pool area, which has a small bar.
And just to add, there's no sun at the pool and the bar is infrequently staffed.

I think you could probably watch the race from the pool area, unless the property plans to do something to monetize that viewing space, which wouldn't surprise me at all.

I suspect that just showing up and asking for a room with a view of the course is likely to result in disappointment. I would contact them in advance if I was interested in viewing options.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kacee
And just to add, there's no sun at the pool and the bar is infrequently staffed.
Isn't there a new pool that actually gets sun?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Can't remember if the EL had Taittinger in the evening.
I saw you can buy a bottle of it for US$108. That doesn't seem nearly as bad as the US$77 price for a bottle of Brancott sauvignon blanc, which Courtyard properties in the United States sell in the bistro for $7-10 a glass.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:03 pm

Isn't there a new pool that actually gets sun?
There is another pool, I can neither confirm nor deny that it actually gets sun

I believe the one on the 18th floor is the one OP was referring to though.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
The Lounge is on the 2d or 3rd floor. It is separate from the pool area, which has a small bar. Can't remember if the EL had Taittinger in the evening.
sad to note, and thanks!
anyone stayed here recently?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
sad to note, and thanks!
anyone stayed here recently?
Yes.

The hotel is very nice and in a good location. The staff is well-trained and the lounge is decent.

The pool is super cool looking but ... it has no sun. Even on a 95 degree day, its really cold. Unfortunately, because of the shade, its just not a pool where people want to hang out so this really cool space is going to waste.

A properly executed bar operation could have potential there, but over the course of a few days in a couple of trips, it was pretty empty. The situation was made worse by the bartender reminding me that they didn't serve cocktails and a Singapore Sling was out of the question. Of course, one issue for the bar is that there was free beer, wine and some other drinks in the lounge and the hotel occupancy was pretty low.

All that being said, the 18th Floor has some great space with poor finishing touches. Way better than the other Marriott. I don't know the F1 path but it could have good potential.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.