Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG/Marriott Plat, WOH Diamond, IHG Plat Ambassador, HHonors Gold, jetBlue Mosaic
For those wondering, here's the full list of what the $60 a day gets you...note the ones with asterisks are for things for which "additional fees may apply." What a joke. How can SPG condone this sort of shenanigans?

The daily 60 USD resort charge includes:
High Speed Internet Access in guest rooms and public spaces
In-room coffee maker and coffee replenished daily
Two (2) 16oz bottled water
In-room refreshed daily
Mini refrigerators
Complimentary self-parking
In-room guest safe
Unlimited local calls
Beach chairs and umbrellas
Plush Beach Size Towels
Pool and Beach Ambassadors
Unlimited use of the Westin Fitness Center/Workout Studio
Use of sauna, hot tub and steam room, based on availability at Hibiscus Spa
Clinics to include Beach Yoga, Aquatic Yoga, Beach volleyball and Stand-up Paddle Board (SUP)
Complimentary Business Center
Live music weekly
Sunday Movie Night on the beach
Non-Alcoholic Welcome Drink
One Hour Managers Welcome Reception - Tuesday to Friday
Complimentary bite-size appetizers at Catboat Bar
Poolside treats - Sno Cones*, Ice Cream* and frozen fruit
Director of Lifestyle to execute daily/weekly events and activities
Beach Concierge – to assist with all your personal needs
Imagination Playground including kids play blocks, board games, beach and lawn games, giant chess/ checkers board
Family Kids Club*
S'mores/Marshmallow Madness Night*
Beach Bonfire Night
Sangria Night & Spanish Paella Night*
Scheduled Firework Display last Friday of the month
Complimentary weekly activities (Soccer, Corn Hole, Nature Scavenger Hunt, Character Tattoos for kids, Beach Ball Rally, Water Balloon Toss, Water Drop Relay, Bocce Ball Tourney, Trivia Night, Sand Sculpture competition)
Holiday themed events*

*Additional fees may apply.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 3:56 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
And I thought Hawaii was bad. Holy cr*p.
Aren't hotels meant to offer Plats an alternative amenity to make up for the benefits that are meant to come with status, such as internet? What is it here. 500 SPG points / stay or something?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Fizzer
And I thought Hawaii was bad. Holy cr*p.
Aren't hotels meant to offer Plats an alternative amenity to make up for the benefits that are meant to come with status, such as internet? What is it here. 500 SPG points / stay or something?
It is a US$10/day F&B credit. At check-in you get 1 voucher for each day you're staying. I was able to combine multiple vouchers in a single purchase to offset most of the cost of a couple meals.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 5:34 am

$60.00 / day. This whole resort fee thing has become absolutely ridiculous! I definitely would not give them my business simply based on that principle.
$60.00 / day for getting the things that are simply part of the hotel?

Room refreshed daily? Wow Thanks.
In Room guest safe?
Beach Chairs & Umbrellas? So generous at a beach resort
Director of Lifestyle?

Plat or no plat - paying customers whether an SPG member or not should except 90% of these.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 5:44 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Stayed once, won't go back (and then had to argue and get *wood support for the "alternate" amenity which they claimed not to know about 2 years after implementation!)

For just a little more than the "resort fee" I can get a great room, free breakfast, free happy hour - and friendly service - in Bangkok! Glad I have the choice
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG/Marriott Plat, WOH Diamond, IHG Plat Ambassador, HHonors Gold, jetBlue Mosaic
Seriously though, I'd love to hear a response from SPG on how they can condone some of these BS amenities (some of which COST EVEN MORE $$$!!!) as part of this bogus "resort fee." At least next door at the Ritz ($75 PLUS 10% service charge) you get non-motorized beach toys, inflatables etc... plus snorkeling gear. The Westin? The right to pay for ice cream by the pool. Unreal.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by CanesLawMarty
Seriously though, I'd love to hear a response from SPG on how they can condone some of these BS amenities (some of which COST EVEN MORE $$$!!!) as part of this bogus "resort fee." At least next door at the Ritz ($75 PLUS 10% service charge) you get non-motorized beach toys, inflatables etc... plus snorkeling gear. The Westin? The right to pay for ice cream by the pool. Unreal.
This property is highly focused on weddings. So basically they have a captive audience for this gouging. Same with the rates, food & drinks. All priced for tourists who are often staying for the first & only time, and unlikely to venture too far from the hotel.

I've never been a fan of this Westin. There are too many other great options on Cayman, including the Sunshine Suites across the street. While I have stayed at the Westin quite a few times - mostly because of free nights - I almost always eat offsite, and buy groceries at the market down the street.

While the RC next door is more pricey, there is also way more value and I've also stayed here over the Westin. Brunch was $100 and worth every penny!

Cheers,
Old Aug 22, 2017, 6:38 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Platinum (Life), Emirates Gold,GHA Black
A different experience at a Westin

Since receiving no communication from SPG, (Platinum Member) I thought I'd post my experience at the Westin Grand Cayman.

Watching a sporting event at the lobby bar, I was physically attacked by another guest. A joke comment about his team was all it took to set I'm off. Besides breaking two pairs of glasses, I was left with bruises and cuts to my chest. After taking pictures, the police went to his room and arrested him. I spoke with the GM the following day who had a terrible attitude towards the whole matter.

No compensation and no news has ever been released. Needless to say, I can't recommend this property.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by 122554
Since receiving no communication from SPG, (Platinum Member) I thought I'd post my experience at the Westin Grand Cayman.

Watching a sporting event at the lobby bar, I was physically attacked by another guest. A joke comment about his team was all it took to set I'm off. Besides breaking two pairs of glasses, I was left with bruises and cuts to my chest. After taking pictures, the police went to his room and arrested him. I spoke with the GM the following day who had a terrible attitude towards the whole matter.

No compensation and no news has ever been released. Needless to say, I can't recommend this property.
Just so I understand the situation fully, what did you want from the hotel?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:34 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
I am sorry about your troubles, but it sounds to me like your beef is with the other guy, not the hotel.

You egged him on, he attacked you. What does the hotel have to do with that?

I think you are lucky the hotel didn't ask you to leave for instigating.
LPCJr and sarahluv like this.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Watching a sporting event at the lobby bar, I was physically attacked by another guest. A joke comment about his team was all it took to set I'm off. Besides breaking two pairs of glasses, I was left with bruises and cuts to my chest. After taking pictures, the police went to his room and arrested him.
This is a police matter for sure. If the hotel staff called the police they did the right thing.
If it was you who had to call the police because the hotel staff refused, there is a valid issue to raise with management.

Like others, I am confused about your conversation with the GM. What did you ask or say to GM?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:34 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
And the hotel provided the police the persons room number.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred

Seems like something is missing here, since you're saying the GM had a terrible attitude towards the whole matter. Were you both "smack talking"? Was drinking involved? Were there other guest whose stay may have been soured by this "occurrence"?

How can you NOT recommend the hotel due to an altercation in the lobby?
How is this altercation a reflection of the property?
How is the property responsible for the actions of two adults?

As per the usual, we're only being presented with one side of the situation. Man would I love to see the hotel security tape and police report.
LPCJr, Flews and sarahluv like this.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We should have a master thread about how to get compensation from hotels.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 9:16 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by TerryK
We should have a master thread about how to get compensation from hotels.
We should also have a master thread about not jumping on OPs who come to the forum to share unpleasant experiences with strings of aggressive and interrogatory demands too. @:-)
estnet likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.