Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2010, 7:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt, AA, SPG
Originally Posted by stevens397
Wow - amazing and, to me, nuts!

So help me understand. If I booked a 5 night stay totally on points and had to cancel a week ahead, what would my penalty be?
I ate $3k here last year (plus airfares) when my Mother died suddenly.
The manager I spoke to was not sympathetic at all.
Caveat Emptor.

A full list of Columbia Sussex properties is here http://www.columbiasussex.com/cscbybrand.lasso
Old Aug 30, 2010, 10:32 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by stevens397
Called the Platinum Concierge and was told (after he spent some time looking into it) that the issue is their cancellation penalty. He said any cancellation within 14 days would result in being charge cash for the entire stay, whether the stay was on cash or on points! This is hard to believe.

Does anyone know if this is possibly correct?
Rereading your question, I'm not certain which aspect you were particularly alarmed about. There is actually an alternative to being charged cash. You can opt to sacrifice your points for the entire stay rather than being charged cash for the entire stay.

There are some pretty wacky rates in play here. Sunsational Savings costs more than RACK for 11/20 - 11/25/2010.

$475+ -- "SUNSATIONAL SAVINGS - 5TH NIGHT FREE AT CHECKOUT, AMERICAN BREAKFAST FOR 2 DAILY, UPDATE IF AVAILABLE. BOOK 4 NIGHTS AND RECEIVE THE 5TH NIGHT FREE WITH A COMPLIMENTARY BREAKFAST FOR 2." (average $380+/nt after 5th night free)

$348+ -- RACK Rate

$169+ -- ZBT (average price after discount of 50% off 2nd night. Prepaid, non-refundable.)
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Originally Posted by nottooshabby
I asked a similar questions about an upgrade on an award stay last month. From our basic "Island View" room, I was told upgrades for a Gold are "likely to an Ocean View, maybe to a Deluxe Ocean Front, never to a Suite". Hope this helps.
Has someone been to this property recently? Input very appreciated:
1) Does someone know what is the difference in size between "basic" room and Deluxe Ocean Front? Various postings are conflicting -- some people say their rooms were every small, others liked them.
2) Is there a coffeemaker in the room?
3) Is there a tennis court?
4) "Do rent a fridge from the hotel for approx US$5.00 per day. Best value at the hotel!" This was written about 5 years ago. Anyone knows -- is it still available at Westin GC? I assume there is no a minibar fridge in non-suite rooms...

Last edited by Medved; Oct 4, 2010 at 9:43 am
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Do rent a fridge from the hotel for approx US$5.00 per day. Best value at the hotel!

This was written about 5 years ago. Anyone knows -- is it still available at Westin GC? I assume there is no a minibar fridge in non-suite rooms...
Old Oct 4, 2010, 9:59 am

1) Does someone know what is the difference in size between "basic" room and Deluxe Ocean Front? Various postings are conflicting -- some people say their rooms were every small, others liked them.
4) "Do rent a fridge from the hotel for approx US$5.00 per day. Best value at the hotel!" This was written about 5 years ago. Anyone knows -- is it still available at Westin GC? I assume there is no a minibar fridge in non-suite rooms...
Old Oct 4, 2010, 1:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, AA 3MM EXP
Originally Posted by Medved

Deluxe Ocean Front rooms are literally ON the beach. These include about 10 rooms total from what I can count. Rooms on the South side have the best beachfront. Room 100, 102, 104, 106, 108 for sure are DOF. There are the corresponding five on the North side of the property but not sure of the numbers.

No Tennis Court.

I believe there is a minibar fridge but not much room in them. Portable refers are avail. Never been charged, but I'm Plat.

Internet stinks and is quite expensive. Thought I could "sneak away" and use VoIP for a conference call but it was very spotty and kept dropping.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by gozetta
Deluxe Ocean Front rooms are literally ON the beach. These include about 10 rooms total from what I can count. Rooms on the South side have the best beachfront. Room 100, 102, 104, 106, 108 for sure are DOF. There are the corresponding five on the North side of the property but not sure of the numbers.

No Tennis Court.

I believe there is a minibar fridge but not much room in them. Portable refers are avail. Never been charged, but I'm Plat.

Internet stinks and is quite expensive. Thought I could "sneak away" and use VoIP for a conference call but it was very spotty and kept dropping.
Thanks, gozetta -- very appreciated. Are DOFs larger than other rooms (if you saw other rooms, of course)? Are they the best rooms available (except those 3 suites)? Does the Hotel provide a cofeemaker?
Your stay was, of course, pre- 2010 -- internet is free for Plats now.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 3:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, AA 3MM EXP
Originally Posted by Medved
Thanks, gozetta -- very appreciated. Are DOFs larger than other rooms (if you saw other rooms, of course)? Are they the best rooms available (except those 3 suites)? Does the Hotel provide a cofeemaker?
Your stay was, of course, pre- 2010 -- internet is free for Plats now.
We were there earlier this year in June and they still charged me for internet! I guess I should have said something. I stay there sometimes twice a year and will definitely bring that up next time.

Yes, the DOF are the best rooms to upgrade to. Note that these rooms had Hurricane Ivan damage and have been replaced with wooden floors, which seem cleaner than the carpet in others. They aren't bigger than other rooms, except for 108 (my favorite, King bed) and the corresponding one on the North side, which has a slightly larger in entry area and a nice little nook for a crib. Room 100 is great too, with double beds, as it is close to the exit door to the pool and the ice machine.

There is a coffee maker in the bathroom.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 7:53 am

Programs: Delta, American, United, Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt
Thumbs down Westin Grand Cayman - not your typical Westin

I stayed at the Westin Grand Cayman earlier this year and was very disappointed for many reasons:

1. I booked a 6 night stay with Starpoints. My flight was delayed due to weather - I got stuck in Atlanta for a night - and ended up arriving 1 day late in Grand Cayman. When I arrived they told me they were going to charge me $550 (full rack rate for 1 night) since I was late. I had to speak to three different people, including the manager over a three day period. All this negotiating and the best I could do was get my points deducted instead of the dollars. This was not what you want to deal with when you start off a trip. I could understand if I came in late for convenience, but due to flight cancellation?? And I am a Starwood Platinum member...
2. My Platinum status didn't get me much here either - this property doesn't allow upgrades to a suite or ocean view with points, so I was banking on my status helping out. I did get a room upgrade to a 2nd floor partial ocean view, but I didn't consider that much for a Platinum member
3. Room Quality was poor - there was no heavenly bed and no heavenly shower. The rooms had not been updated in awhile
4. The Lobby was not impressive
5. Concierge was cranky - not all of them. I think they had three - two of which rarely smiled.

On the positive side:
1. This is probably is one of the best locations on Seven Mile Beach.
2. The other hotels were not much better - The Ritz was a much nicer hotel, but the beach was way overcrowded - it looked more like the Jersey Shore than Grand Cayman. The Marriott was pretty dumpy as well. I took a resort scuba lesson there and had to dodge a ton of debris while swimming in their pool (hair, dirt, etc..)
3. The Scuba diving in Grand Cayman was absolutely perfect!

I am a huge Starwood fan and have stayed in Westin's in Hawaii, Mexico, North America and Europe. This hotel does not meet Westin standards
Old Mar 13, 2011, 12:13 pm

Programs: AC*100K MM, lifetime Titanium Elite
Westin Grand Cayman Review: Mar. 4-9, 2011

Longtime lurker, first time posting. First off, thanks to all in this forum, have learned an immense amount!

Just returned from 5 nights at the Westin Grand Cayman. From the info. here, we went with low expectations of the facility itself, and high expectations for the location, beach and island. This is exactly what we expereinced. We used points for our stay which changes our frame of reference to some degree.

For a beach vacation on points, we loved it and would go back tomorrow. In our opinion, the location is the best in Grand Cayman period. Best part of the beach - large section and uncrowded as well, best location on the island. The beach itself, and in particular the water is fantastic - great for swimming, snorkelling and walking. Value for points is very good (used a 25% off code).

The hotel itself is underwhelming for a Westin, particularly the lobby and the room size and decor level. We arrived late i.e. 10 PM on our first evening, were recognized as platinum on check and and advised we had an updgraded room for the last 4 nights. The first night was in a standard room facing the parking lot. On our 2nd day we moved to room 104, a deluxe ocean front (with the wood floors). The room itself is about standard hotel room sized, slightly better decor, but nothing special. the location is perfect, step out onto the beach. The internet is as bad as I've seen.

The staff are friendly, but a bit sloppy in their duties, however any issue was easily resolved with a smile.

The location is walking distance to stores, restaurants, etc. There is an Avis car rental location right in the hotel.

In terms of other options, the Ritz appeared from our wak through to be a far nicer facility, although I understand from talking to some guests (on an excusion to Stingray City) that it costs about $1000 to be oceanfront. I would avoid the Marriott on location alone.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 4:12 pm

The Marriott

Too late to change but just curious. We are going to the Marriott between Christmas and New Years.MR points stay - what is the problem with the Marriott location?
Old Mar 14, 2011, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by gailo
Too late to change but just curious. We are going to the Marriott between Christmas and New Years.MR points stay - what is the problem with the Marriott location?
Just speaking for myself, I would say because it has no beach to speak of, and is tightly wedged in between other properties. Still, if you nip over to Treasure Island, you'll find a friendly pool area with great two for one drink specials every day.

Cheers,
Old Mar 14, 2011, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Magicbus
In terms of other options, the Ritz appeared from our wak through to be a far nicer facility, although I understand from talking to some guests (on an excusion to Stingray City) that it costs about $1000 to be oceanfront.
Sunday brunch at the Ritz is one of the best I've ever had, albeit probably the most expensive too. Worth a try if you want to spend a very decadent couple of hours. Christmas Day brunch is out of this world.

Cheers,
Old Mar 14, 2011, 6:36 pm

I guess I will have to suffer. 7 nts starting Dec 28th with AA redemption -Total hotel/air for two is $143 out of pocket - cannot be too bad. huh.
PS How do you nip
Old Mar 15, 2011, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by gailo
I guess I will have to suffer. 7 nts starting Dec 28th with AA redemption -Total hotel/air for two is $143 out of pocket - cannot be too bad. huh.
PS How do you nip
LOL - brunch at the Ritz is more than that!

A 'nip' is quickly doing what you might not otherwise be able to do, while your two-year-old twins are having a nap...

Cheers,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.