Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2012, 8:25 am

Programs: BA GGL, Bonvoy lt Titanium, UA lt Gld MM, HHonors Diamond, Starbucks Gold!
The Westin Casuarina Resort & Spa, Grand Cayman

Apologies if there is a master thread for this hotel, but I could not find it, nor any threads with recent updates.

Vacationing the first week of June, and planned to stay at the The Westin Casuarina Resort & Spa in Grand Cayman. However, after reading tons of awful reviews - even on Starwood's site - I have many concerns.

Apparently they have a new management team in place, staff changes are occurring, and renovations are either under way or in progress. However, I'm naturally nervous - and my wife will kill me if I book a hotel that is terribly outdated with areas that are falling apart manned by sloppy and inattentive staff only to be topped off by over billing issues. It is clear however, that their pool has been completely overhauled and is utterly gorgeous.

If you've been there recently, (April or May of 2012) any advice would be so helpful.

Thank you.
Old May 20, 2012, 10:49 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WN A-List
Originally Posted by willphillipson
Apologies if there is a master thread for this hotel, but I could not find it, nor any threads with recent updates.

Vacationing the first week of June, and planned to stay at the The Westin Casuarina Resort & Spa in Grand Cayman. However, after reading tons of awful reviews - even on Starwood's site - I have many concerns.

Apparently they have a new management team in place, staff changes are occurring, and renovations are either under way or in progress. However, I'm naturally nervous - and my wife will kill me if I book a hotel that is terribly outdated with areas that are falling apart manned by sloppy and inattentive staff only to be topped off by over billing issues. It is clear however, that their pool has been completely overhauled and is utterly gorgeous.

If you've been there recently, (April or May of 2012) any advice would be so helpful.

Thank you.
2.7/5, as well as only a 42% recommend rating from SPG visitors certainly seems cause for concern.

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/westi...ropertyID=1095
Old May 21, 2012, 6:08 am

I gave up on this property after many disappointing experiences.

As I often visit Cayman, I now stay at the Sunshine Suites across the road from the Westin. (The last time I was there the Westin kicked me off "their" beach when I dropped by for a drink...)

I, too, would be interested to know if there have been any positive changes in management, service, attitude, etc...

Cheers,
Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler, Skymiles GM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite
Room choices - Westin Grand Cayman

Two couples booking two rooms on the Stay-6-Pay-4 promotion that is currently underway. The least expensive non-ocean view is very reasonable for August, and as a Platinum I am hoping to upgrade at least one of the rooms.

Question for those of you who have stayed at this property:
  • What rooms are renovated vs. the old outdated decor?
  • Are there certain beachfront rooms that are better than others?
  • I've read that 100,102,104,106,108 are literally beachside, but is there a nuisance factor with beach traffic and do you lose your "balcony" and outdoor seating?
Any tips and help are appreciated.

Last edited by jeff30189; Jul 16, 2012 at 1:23 pm
Old Jul 16, 2012, 5:47 pm

I am here now

Currently here for first trip. Nothing horrible to report. Lobby is updated as is pool area. People are very friendly. Beautiful beach and grounds. Not a St Regis but a comfortable beach hotel, they get a lot of heavy use. Only 5 stories so elevators aren't a problem.. Numerous restaurants within walking distance. Snorkel off beach. Grand Cayman is the most expensive Carib island probably. US dollar is only worth .80 Cayman. We will come back without hesitation.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 9:42 pm

Programs: Delta PE, SPG PE
Originally Posted by jeff30189
Two couples booking two rooms on the Stay-6-Pay-4 promotion that is currently underway. The least expensive non-ocean view is very reasonable for August, and as a Platinum I am hoping to upgrade at least one of the rooms.

Question for those of you who have stayed at this property:
  • What rooms are renovated vs. the old outdated decor?
  • Are there certain beachfront rooms that are better than others?
  • I've read that 100,102,104,106,108 are literally beachside, but is there a nuisance factor with beach traffic and do you lose your "balcony" and outdoor seating?
Any tips and help are appreciated.
I was upgraded to room 104 last November for 9 night stay from a garden view room as a plat. As mentioned, it's 10 feet from the sand. You still have a small patio and there's no traffic in that 10 foot swatch thus you loose nothing. If you can snag anything from 102 - 108, you'll be in paradise.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:53 am

Programs: DL Million Miler, Skymiles GM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by trader61
I was upgraded to room 104 last November for 9 night stay from a garden view room as a plat. As mentioned, it's 10 feet from the sand. You still have a small patio and there's no traffic in that 10 foot swatch thus you loose nothing. If you can snag anything from 102 - 108, you'll be in paradise.
Thanks for the responses! Are the 102-108 rooms fairly new/updated, or are they still of the older decor? Are those rooms larger than the standard 340 sq ft box or is the "upgrade" more of a proximity-to-the-sand benefit?

I appreciate the insight, it helps to be armed with information when making specific room requests. I've heard very mixed reports about the property and the staff, so just want to increase my odds of a great room!
Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, AA 3MM EXP
Thanks for the responses! Are the 102-108 rooms fairly new/updated, or are they still of the older decor? Are those rooms larger than the standard 340 sq ft box or is the "upgrade" more of a proximity-to-the-sand benefit?

I appreciate the insight, it helps to be armed with information when making specific room requests. I've heard very mixed reports about the property and the staff, so just want to increase my odds of a great room!
Those rooms were updated with wooden floors after hurricane Ivan destroyed them in 2004. The wooden floors are the "deluxe" part of the "deluxe Ocean front" room category. I have personally stayed in room 100 106 and 108 in the last few years. My preference is 108 because it is slightly longer and it is a corner room (and a King). Keep in mind that even though you are on the beach, the water view is a bit obstructed because of the large Causaurina tree in front of the room, and the early bird tourists getting the shaded spots right there. There are similar rooms mirrored on the other side of the property but not sure of their room numbers. Those rooms don't have as good of view since the red sail rental shop and equipment is right there.

The beach location, however, truly is the best on the island. The best rooms can be found at the Ritz Carlton two doors down. Definitely walk over there to have drinks and lunch at the Bar Jack. Don't bother with their high end restaurants, as there is so much more to choose from on that island. I recommend Calypso Grill, Papagallo's, and Deckers. All three are just tremendous restaurants. Oh, I must mention Luca Restaurant a bit south on the beach. Great Italian with a superb bar /wine selection.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:41 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards

They are standard in size and everything except wooden floors. These are most expensive rooms except suites. Never seen anyone upgraded to a suite -- this is definitely lowest 5 or 10 hotels of all SPG portfolio in terms of suite upgrades. They are very consistent though upgrading Plats to Oceanfronts -- we had 10 days during X-mas & New Year. Trees in front give you shade. Kids would love just jumping out to the sand. The wing is very quiet and closest to the restaraunts. Presidential suite is just over 2nd floor rooms and always vacant. Choose Breakfast amenity -- will save about US$20-25 a head for nice buffet with excellent service & food.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:51 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Hello. I've always wanted to try this place since seeing the Firm movie. Any recent comments on treatment of Plats? Know it is not much. How about transport to/from airport? How was clearing immigration in Grand Cayman? All comments appreciated. Thanks.
While this response is nearly a year late.. this was not the hotel featured in The Firm..that was the Hyatt Regency 7 Mile Beach which closed in 2004 after Ivan and is now the Grand Cayman Beach Suites. I stayed there back in 1992 and it was great. Or perhaps you were just referring to Grand Cayman in general...
Old Jul 20, 2012, 8:09 am

Follow up to my last post regarding Hotel update

When I was checking out yesterday I was talking to the manager. For those of you planning a trip after August you may want to get an update on the status of the Hotel's face lift planned that is to start in August.

As I mentioned above the pool area was redone last year. The lobby was not done as I had thought in my above post. The manager indicated that starting in August the lobby area and all the rooms are going to be updated. They had pictures and fabric samples etc in a lobby display.

While this is great news it could have adverse impact on those visiting during the construction period. If you have a trip planned for Aug-Dec you may want to confirm how they are going to handle the inconvenience and the noise from this work. For those of you planning a trip next year, this is great news. You will be some of the first to benefit from the remodeling.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by toddreg
When I was checking out yesterday I was talking to the manager. For those of you planning a trip after August you may want to get an update on the status of the Hotel's face lift planned that is to start in August.

As I mentioned above the pool area was redone last year. The lobby was not done as I had thought in my above post. The manager indicated that starting in August the lobby area and all the rooms are going to be updated. They had pictures and fabric samples etc in a lobby display.

While this is great news it could have adverse impact on those visiting during the construction period. If you have a trip planned for Aug-Dec you may want to confirm how they are going to handle the inconvenience and the noise from this work. For those of you planning a trip next year, this is great news. You will be some of the first to benefit from the remodeling.
Bearing mind, of course, very little in Cayman ever gets completed on time...

Cheers,
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:12 am

Programs: AA, HH, Starwood, Hyatt, Marriott
Doubles?

Do any of the oceanfront rooms that are spoken of so highly (as possible upgrades for Platinums) have two beds? I'm looking for a good place for a girls trip. And the three of us really don't want to pile into one large King!!

Has anyone tried to use their SPG Plat (w/ 50 nights) for guaranteed suite upgrades here at this property. I will hit 50 about a week before I'm scheduled to arrive!
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Originally Posted by Jills
Do any of the oceanfront rooms that are spoken of so highly (as possible upgrades for Platinums) have two beds? I'm looking for a good place for a girls trip. And the three of us really don't want to pile into one large King!!

Has anyone tried to use their SPG Plat (w/ 50 nights) for guaranteed suite upgrades here at this property. I will hit 50 about a week before I'm scheduled to arrive!
Yes. I think 104-102 are 2 double beds. 108-106 are kings for sure.

Westin Cayman is not set up for suite awards. According to the Lurker it and the sister property at St. Maarten most likely will never participate in suites awards. Both practically never upgrade to suites now. Nice try!
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, AA 3MM EXP
Originally Posted by Medved
Yes. I think 104-102 are 2 double beds. 108-106 are kings for sure.

Westin Cayman is not set up for suite awards. According to the Lurker it and the sister property at St. Maarten most likely will never participate in suites awards. Both practically never upgrade to suites now. Nice try!
Room 100 is two doubles as well IIRC, also a DOF (deluxe ocean front), very convenient to the ice maker and side access door near the pool restaurant (also a bit noisy for the same reasons). Yes, best you can hope for here is the DOF, no suites to speak of. Best room at SXM Westin is 3040 BTW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.