Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2007, 5:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, AA 3MM EXP
Originally Posted by neuro0
Is there free parking on the hotel?
Can't find anything about parking on its website
Thanks!
Yes, the parking is free. Go across the street for breakfast, dine at the 4 Diamond restaurant on the property while you're there, and spend the afternoon at the Jack Bar at the Ritz drinking the $18 swirly frozen drinks (awesome). That property/beach can't be beat for white sand and good activities. Been there as Platinum more than 4 times, never upgraded to a suite, but I DO like the newly renovated beachfront 1st floor rooms (101, 102, 103, 104) as they have wooden floors after Hurricane Ivan and they have a little secret entry door to the pool to avoid the long walks down those frigidly cold hallways.
Old May 21, 2008, 6:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Anyone have any recent experiences with GOLD upgrades at this property? We've booked a king bed ocean-view room and wondering about possibly getting into one of the deluxe rooms.

Should I try to contact the hotel in advance about this? Thanks!
Old May 21, 2008, 7:17 am

Just a nit, but The Cayman Islands are not part of the USVI, and the name of the hotel is "The Westin Casuarina Resort and Spa". Can someone change the title of this topic?
Old May 21, 2008, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Anyone have any recent experiences with GOLD upgrades at this property? We've booked a king bed ocean-view room and wondering about possibly getting into one of the deluxe rooms.

Not a chance, sorry. Just pray they've dealt with the smelly rooms issue.

Cheers,
Old May 21, 2008, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by cranrob
Just a nit, but The Cayman Islands are not part of the USVI, and the name of the hotel is "The Westin Casuarina Resort and Spa". Can someone change the title of this topic?
I agree, most irritating!

Cheers,
Old May 27, 2008, 6:56 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, AA EXP, CET Diamond, MGM Gold

I asked a similar questions about an upgrade on an award stay last month. From our basic "Island View" room, I was told upgrades for a Gold are "likely to an Ocean View, maybe to a Deluxe Ocean Front, never to a Suite". Hope this helps.
Old May 27, 2008, 7:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
I'm here now, not terribly impressed. Will write more later.

The water is beautiful though.
Old May 27, 2008, 11:01 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, AA EXP, CET Diamond, MGM Gold
I'm here now, not terribly impressed. Will write more later.

The water is beautiful though.
magiciansampras,

What's not so impressive? I'll be there in less than a week ^ Any luck with the upgrade?
Old Nov 25, 2008, 8:00 pm

Heading here in Feb. Any recent experiences with Plat upgrades on award stays?
Old Nov 26, 2008, 9:27 am

Since there are only two suites on the property, the only upgrade possibilities is to a standard room with a better view (ocean view/partial ocean view)

Also, try not to be on the first floor unless you like lizards in your room.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by jchand
No Plat B'fast . No Lounge. Great Hotel though.

Was upgraded to See View room, from Partial sea view.
Wondering if there is an update on this place since 2005 regarding a lounge. Is there a Plat Lounge now, breakfast in restaurant if no lounge? Heading there in Feb.

Thanks!
Old Jan 12, 2009, 2:54 pm
Original Member

Just back from a very nice 5 day stay at Westin Casuarina in Grand Cayman. Our 5th stay there.

Booked one award room and one room paid (took our two kids in their 20's down with us). Paid $329 US a night for the one room, and got $100 us/night resort credit toward food, beverage, etc. (Rate was before taxes, service charge).

Only paid for island view room, but both rooms got upgraded to very nice adjacent 4th floor ocean view rooms with balconies. I saw some customers in the island view rooms. I would say the hotel was about 70-75% full, from my observation.

Service was tremendous, in rooms, at the bar, and in restaurants.

For breakfast, we ate at Eats across the street every morning. For activities (Stingray City) we arranged with Capt. Marvin's across the street for about 1/2 the price of Red Sail on the property.

Lunch at the pool or inside at Ferdinands was good. Did not eat at Casa Havana this time, but have enjoyed it in the past.

We were able to watch the Eagles beat Minnesota in the hotel bar, with about 40 people, mostly Eagles fans. Had a good time there.

There is no Plat. lounge that I am aware of, and, knowing the setup of the hotel, I doubt there is ever going to be one. Don't know if they give free breakfasts to Plat, since I am not.

Snorkeling on the Governor's Reef right off the beach was good. Saw great fish, lobsters, octopus, cuttlefish, and a barracuda who followed us around one morning for about 40 mins. My wife saw a reef shark when we went down to Cemetery Reef one day, and promptly got out of the water. The kids and I went back in to try and see it, but did not.

Overall, a great relaxing vacation at the Westin. We'll undoubtedly be back again.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 12:00 am

Programs: AA PLT->GLD|HH Gold|SPG PLT->GOLD|HGP Gold|MR Silver
I appreciate all of the comments folks have made over the years. I'm looking for some additional input from anyone who may have more extensive experience in Grand Cayman. I've visited several times, but always by cruise ship, so this will be my first land stay there.

I'm trying to decide between using SPG points at the Westin or using RCI points at the Morritt's Grand Resort. The Westin is on Seven Mile Beach, where Morritt's is on the east end of the island. With Morritt's, we get a kitchen, so I can shop and cook; with the Westin, we're entirely reliant on restaurants/room service. The significant difference to me seems to be Morritt's being out of the way vs. the Westin having questionable service and limited facilities (i.e. no kitchen).

I'm also wondering if anyone has experience using SPG points for an award for a suite at this Westin. I know you can book standard rooms, and I know they don't upgrade to suites, but can points be used for them? I wouldn't think my Platinum status would make any difference in that respect...

This is for my honeymoon, so service, atmosphere, things like that all matter just a bit more than usual.

Appreciate any insight... Thanks!
Old Jan 21, 2009, 1:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, AA 3MM EXP
Originally Posted by dmfriedman
I'm trying to decide between using SPG points at the Westin or using RCI points at the Morritt's Grand Resort.
Everyone likes different things, but if you want to get in the water, that beautiful blue water, you need to stay near Seven Mile Beach. Making that a 45 minute drive from the East End takes the fun (and romance) out of it. You would also have a long drive to get quality grocery items for your cooking events. East End is the windy, rough side of the island. Frankly there is not much to do out there, but it definitely is more secluded.

You will not get upgraded to a suite at the Westin, period. You will get a basic room, which seems smaller to me than most Westins, probably with an ocean view as the upgrade. I was offered a suite upgrade using cash for my stay this coming Friday, around $1000 EXTRA per night, on top of my point redemption however.

If you absolutely need to cook yourself, I would recommend renting a villa/timeshare. You could probably pick one up on the cheap these days! Villas of the Galleon is located between the Ritz and the Westin (great location) with full kitchens, albeit a bit dated.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by dmfriedman
I appreciate all of the comments folks have made over the years. I'm looking for some additional input from anyone who may have more extensive experience in Grand Cayman. I've visited several times, but always by cruise ship, so this will be my first land stay there.

I'm trying to decide between using SPG points at the Westin or using RCI points at the Morritt's Grand Resort. The Westin is on Seven Mile Beach, where Morritt's is on the east end of the island. With Morritt's, we get a kitchen, so I can shop and cook; with the Westin, we're entirely reliant on restaurants/room service. The significant difference to me seems to be Morritt's being out of the way vs. the Westin having questionable service and limited facilities (i.e. no kitchen).

I'm also wondering if anyone has experience using SPG points for an award for a suite at this Westin. I know you can book standard rooms, and I know they don't upgrade to suites, but can points be used for them? I wouldn't think my Platinum status would make any difference in that respect...

This is for my honeymoon, so service, atmosphere, things like that all matter just a bit more than usual.

Appreciate any insight... Thanks!
You're really comparing apples and oranges here, so it's hard to give you advice.

I personally don't like the Westin, but Morritts is an entirely different class of hotel and guest, not to mention the distance. Still, Morritts has it's advantages, as you cite. If you have a car, its location is less of a factor. If you don't, you're really restricted.

The Westin, on the other hand, does get a lot of honeymooners. The location is way better in the sense it is close to a lot of things you go to Cayman to do - eat, beach, shop, etc... Having said that, you will pay through the nose and the service is spotty.

And no, forget about a suite at the Westin. You will be lucky to get a standard room that does not smell of mould.

If I may suggest an out of the box compromise? The Sunshine Suites is right across the road from the Westin, but with beach access. Huge rooms with full kitchens, for about the same price as the Westin. Incredible service. Right beside the Ritz. Right in front of the golf course, like walking distance. This is where this SPG Plat stays when in Cayman. I fact, we are going back again in March.

My two cents, based on dozens and dozens of trips to Cayman, staying at various place, including condo rental...

Cheers,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.