Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Westin Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands 2000-2006 [Master Thread]

Westin Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands 2000-2006 [Master Thread]

Old Sep 2, 00, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Arrow Westin Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands 2000-2006 [Master Thread]

Went down on 26 August - for a week....

Overall impressions -

- Great lobby and sitting area - nice if you arrive before 3pm - as they won't have your room ready before then...

- Casa Havana (main resturant) - great food, some of the best food presentation I have ever seen (a bit pricey) stay away from the lobster (trust me on this one).

- Best Service Express I have ever seen at any property... and they bent over backwards to help me out and take care of special needs.

- Great Beach area - a snorkeling reef right behind the hotel ( can't beat that ) rent gear for $15 Ci a day and go to your hearts content....

Now for my dissapointments...

- Don't say you have a heavenly bed... if all you have is 1 part of it

- rooms are a little on the small side (not sure of exact size but at least the bathroom is huge)

- Robes need to be switched for terry cloth - the robes they are using are like gauze (the ones with the little squares all over the robe)

- No valet service for cars - although.... I found that it would have been MUCH cheaper to get a TAXI to go out to dinner and around town - most things you do on the island offer free shuttle service - and with road refinishing taking place all over the island TURST ME its worth it to let someone else do the driving...

My advice if you are going any time soon -

- Avoid Red Sail Sports for any water activities - they changed our reservations for both SCUBA and a dinner cruise w/o notifying us ( and they are overpriced )

Resturants to hit while you are there -

- Eats Cafe ( cheap and real good breakfast and lunch ) - I called them before I walked over to get breakfast.. and before I could walk across the street it was ready

- Hemmingway's ( at the Hyatt ) great food and deserts ( moderate prices )

- Lone Star Bar and Grill - run by a big old coot ( his words not mine ) from Texas - hit the place on Monday night for FajitaRita night (name says it all)

- Grand Old House ( closed for the next month ) but best food on the Island to me.

Resturants to AVOID -

- Papagallos ( near Stingray City ) is very OVERHYPED by the Westin staff (alomst thought they get a kickback )

- Red Sail Sports Dinner cruise - food was cold and bland - and drinks were $10 CI each

- Ragazzi's (near Hyatt) Snobby staff and bland food - didn't want to give us the check unless we looked at the desert menu...

ENDING NOTE - If someone offers you 2 red floats - or even if you see them - there is a kind of guest tradition - about 3 months ago someone bought 2 $40 CI rafts at the hotel, and they gave them to guests when they left, and they have been getting passed on from there after - we got them and continued the trend (really can't call it a tradition just yet.

If you are planning to go let me know I have lots of detailed notes I took about prices, where to go, where to buy rum cake etc.
TTYL

Old Jul 10, 01, 1:06 pm

Location: atlanta, ga, - SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Delta Silver Medallion
Westin Grand Cayman

Planning a stay in Grand Cayman in late September. Would like any recommendations for activities and restaurants on the island. Also, thoughts on the hotel would be appreciated.
Old Jul 10, 01, 5:03 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum74/HTML/000827.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum74/HTML/000674.html
Old Oct 4, 01, 6:56 pm

Programs: OnePass,SPG
Grand Cayman Westin

Hi all,

I've done a search on this but the resulting links give me an error. Any comments on this property? My wife and I will be going in a few weeks. Thanks

[email protected]
Old Oct 4, 01, 8:01 pm

I was very impressed with this property. We were last there Memorial Day weekend, and will be using my last free Friday and free Saturday there in a few weeks. The staff were very courteous and had automatically upgraded us to a beachfront room before our arrival (platinum status).

[This message has been edited by uschpr (edited 10-04-2001).]
Old Oct 4, 01, 9:39 pm

Location: atlanta, ga, - SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Delta Silver Medallion
Just got back last weekend. Hotel was nice. With platinum status, we were upgraded to an oceanfront room. Rooms were nice but small. Pool area and beach were great. Overall, the hotel was nothing special, but nicer than anything else we saw on the island. Stingray City is a must. EATS across the street from the hotel had wonderful and cheap breakfast. Also enjoyed the Treehouse restaurant for lunch and dinner. Most everything on the island was overpriced. Would love to go back and experience the island with better weather.

------------------
Old Oct 5, 01, 9:30 am

Programs: OnePass,SPG
Thanks for the replies. I'm looking forward to a relaxing trip. Hopefully the weather will be fine. I'm gold and have had some success being upgraded when staying at some of starwood's nicer properties. Will let you know how this goes.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

[email protected]
Old Oct 5, 01, 4:41 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by uschpr:
I was very impressed with this property. We were last there Memorial Day weekend, and will be using my last free Friday and free Saturday there in a few weeks. The staff were very courteous and had automatically upgraded us to a beachfront room before our arrival (platinum status).

[This message has been edited by uschpr (edited 10-04-2001).]
</font>
Hey! My wife and I were there last memorial day weekend too! we were using CO half off reward tickets to get to the Grand Cayman. We liked it a lot -- better than the Hyatt. We're gold at Starwood and were treated better by the staff than our diamond status at Hyatt. The ocean view rooms had great views and the beach was wonderful. Two strange things i noticed -- bottled water at the hotel was crazy like $5 a bottle and we had to pay a fee to use the in-room safe. Not a big deal at all but I did notice those things. you'll have a great time.

[This message has been edited by kishna (edited 10-05-2001).]
Old Dec 9, 01, 9:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem, MR PLT, *WOOD GM, HILTON GM
Westin Grand Cayman info request

Howdy - I'll be at the Westin Causarina in Grand Cayman over the holidays and was wondering if anyone has had any success w/ upgrades from platinum status?

Also - is there a club level a la the St. Regis Aspen, where there is a constant flow of amazing food and drinks througout the day?

Do they run scuba diving ops out of the hotel?

Any other firsthand info on this property would be greatly appreciated.

Previous info on the bb revealed dead links.

Thanks!
Old Dec 9, 01, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Hey welcome to the boards!

This link will provide you with some good information!!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum74/HTML/002395.html
Old Dec 10, 01, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
DeltaSchmelta,

The Westin Causarina is one of if not my most favorite places to go in all of the Caribbean. It's a nice hotel that just the right size for me, big enough to spread out but not overwhelming like some. To second what was said on the previous thread, the beach and pool areas are very nice and super close to your room, and the EATS Cafe across the street is very good for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

The last time I was there there was no club room. And I've never been an elite when staying, so I can't comment on any amenities or upgrades.

With regards to your diving question, there is a Red Sail Sports located right on the property. They offer both morning and afternoon dives right from the beach there. I'm not certified, so I usually take the 'resort course' the first day I'm there and then do 2 or 3 more afternoon dives later in the week.

You'll have a great time, just prepare yourself for the cost because the whole island is more expensive than others
Old Dec 10, 01, 3:19 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Welcome to the boards. My last stay there I had booked a standard room, and was upgraded (without asking) to a better room (dont remember the room denomination) with an Ocean View. Great hotel, I loved my stay.

[This message has been edited by Gaucho100K (edited 12-10-2001).]
Old Dec 10, 01, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Silver
The Caymans are unapologetically discriminatory towards gay persons. A couple of years ago they refused to let a gay-sponsored cruise dock there. The official reason? "Careful research and prior experience has led us to conclude that we cannot count on this group to uphold standards of appropriate behavior expected of visitors to the Cayman Islands," Tourism Minister Thomas C. Jefferson said in a letter to Norwegian Cruise Lines, "so we regrettably cannot offer our hospitality."

While Great Britain has recently decriminalized homosexuality in the Caymans and other Caribbean territories, the Caymans remain a hostile place.

All those considering traveling to the Caymans may wish to take this into account in deciding to spend their tourism dollars there. Why support hate and discrimination when there are plenty of other warm, beautiful places to visit?
Old Dec 10, 01, 10:12 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AA ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire/Ambassador
Welcome to FT DeltaSchmelta!

If you have not had much diving experience w/rays make sure you take in the dive site "Stingray City". Very shallow dive but what fun. They feel very spongy!
Old Dec 11, 01, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">when there are plenty of other warm, beautiful places to visit? </font>
None as beautiful as the Caymans The Cayman Islands are one of the most beautiful, no nonsense, no tax, no crime, no BS places I've ever been. If you don't have a job, you can't live there. If you commit a crime, especially as a foreigner, you'll be history. Where does it get them?...

"...the Caymans boast full employment and a crime rate so low that many residents of sparsely populated Little Cayman and Cayman Brac still don't bother to lock their doors at night...the islands' 36,000 inhabitants
earn an average, tax-free income of about $32,000, the highest in the Caribbean. Schoolchildren sport Tommy Hilfiger backpacks, while their parents can joke that the national flower is the satellite dish..."

http://www.usatoday.com/life/travel/...99/t0205ca.htm

I love that place

Search this Thread
Search Engine: