Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Idiots who Design Marriott Rooms

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Idiots who Design Marriott Rooms

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2015, 12:19 pm

Programs: Global Entry, United Silver, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sethb
I've also run into way too many hotels that don't think dressers ought to be provided.

I was really surprised that one of them was a Hilton Grand Vacations Club; they expect people to stay there for a week without a dresser?
It's utterly non-sensical. I can't think of one reason for stripping a hotel room of useful furniture except for the hotel owner saving money. After thinking further about it, I believe the whole "we're doing it for the millenials" excuse is a red herring. IMO, Marriott (and the other hotel chains participating in the hotel room strip-down game) gave their designers orders to modernize and redecorate but cut costs. Most hotel rooms are already rather sparse, so the obvious targets are things like the desk and storage space for clothes. Also, the "surveys" that allegedly revealed that the desks were unused and unwanted are likely manipulated. To save their contracts with Marriott and other hotel operators, these designers had to actually come up with ways to cut costs, so the end result is this madness. It's a decision that Marriott may regret as most of us are going to push back when we are given a room that's missing some important basics.

Marriott has about 892,000 rooms in its entire network of hotels. If we assume they get a pretty good discount on furniture, a simple dresser might cost $300 and a desk $200. So, that saves $500 per room OR $446 MILLION in costs. Follow the money....

Last edited by flyerfmaz; Oct 14, 2015 at 12:31 pm
Old Oct 14, 2015, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
I'm currently at the Courtyard DFW North Irving property. This has the "new" Courtyard redo which DOES include a SMALL desk. The rest of the room is rather stark. A bed, and a small chair in the corner. Makes it look like a BIG room, but unappealing.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by DL-Don
Do the people who are redesigning the Marriott rooms ever try to work in them?

I have been staying at the SFO Airport Marriott for nearly 20 years. I arrive today to discover that
  • There is no desk in the room
  • No desk means only the phone by the bed
  • No closets
  • No luggage stands
  • Door to the bathroom is glass and not well frosted
What idiots! I'm in my fifties... I don't work on my computer cross legged in the bed. The bathroom door is not a problem when I'm travelling with my wife but what are unrelated guests who have to share a room supposed to do?

So what do I do? I throw the coffee pot, coffee/tea box, ice buckets, etc.. on the floor with all the usual Marriott waste of paper and turn the TV stand into a desk. I like the huge TV but not at the expense of a place to work.

Wake up people, not everyone stays at a hotel, especially an airport property, with no intention to work. Why don't you talk to your real customers and not some Gen Y twerp?
As a similarly seasoned traveler I share your pain (and concur). All full service Marriotts should have desks - no exceptions. Even at resorts I like to have a desk for various items. Luggage stands are a no brainer. As for the phone, I don't really care much about the location, but I do like the key buttons (i.e. at your service) to be clearly marked, and they damn well better pick up the phone by the fourth ring
Old Oct 14, 2015, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Boraxo
As a similarly seasoned traveler I share your pain (and concur). All full service Marriotts should have desks - no exceptions. Even at resorts I like to have a desk for various items. Luggage stands are a no brainer. As for the phone, I don't really care much about the location, but I do like the key buttons (i.e. at your service) to be clearly marked, and they damn well better pick up the phone by the fourth ring
I want a desk, and I want a dresser. Luggage stands are much less important.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I want a desk, and I want a dresser. Luggage stands are much less important.
+1. I'll take the desk & dresser over a luggage stand (although all 3 preferred).

Just curious - do all the millennials dress casual for work? Not having a place to hang suits, etc, makes no sense. Who wants to go to work in wrinkled clothes?

Cheers.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 8:32 am

Programs: DL - DM MM / UA - PP / LH - SEN / Marriott - AMB-LTT / Avis - PC
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
+1. I'll take the desk & dresser over a luggage stand (although all 3 preferred).
This year, I've started bringing my own set of hangers. Many of the properties I stay in have 4 hangers or less in the wardrobe closet. When requesting more, they're either not delivered or take way too long to be delivered.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by UnderEst
This year, I've started bringing my own set of hangers. Many of the properties I stay in have 4 hangers or less in the wardrobe closet. When requesting more, they're either not delivered or take way too long to be delivered.
Maybe we should start a list of properties that provide enough hangers It might be a gal thing, but I use a lot of hangers/hang up my clothes when traveling, whether for bizness or personal.

Cheers.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: DL - DM MM / UA - PP / LH - SEN / Marriott - AMB-LTT / Avis - PC
Maybe we should start a list of properties that provide enough hangers It might be a gal thing, but I use a lot of hangers/hang up my clothes when traveling, whether for bizness or personal.

Cheers.
Haha, I don't think it's just a gal thing. Most of my stays are at least a week and one of my first night rituals is to iron my shirts/pants/tie/etc. and hang them up for the week.

On personal travel, my wife and I try to just hang things up to get them out of the suitcase and easier to find when getting dressed.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others

Just curious - do all the millennials dress casual for work? Not having a place to hang suits, etc, makes no sense. Who wants to go to work in wrinkled clothes?
I've had a lot more rooms without dressers than without closets (plus a few with closets so small they're effectively unusable).
Old Oct 15, 2015, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by UnderEst
Nothing like waiting around the room for an hour and then having someone show up with 1 or 2 hangers. If I was just 1 short I probably wouldn't have called...
Old Oct 15, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by jlb3
So I’m a millennial travel and frequently get these Marriott surveys. I always say I have no need of a desk or chair – because I don’t. When I travel for leisure, esp with other people, it just gets in the way and is a total waste of space. And I never need more than 1 or maybe 2 drawers for my stuff. Hanging my clothes free form, like in the cool new AC hotels, is totally fine. Who needs a closet really? And if I have work to do, I can go in the club lounge or in the lobby – which I actually prefer. It’s buzzing with people and I can get food and drink there – who wants to just sit alone in their room and work? That’s boring and lonely.

Re: the luggage rack – that lack of one is annoying. When I’m in a hotel room and there isn’t one, I just call down and ask that one be delivered. I get it within a few mins. No problem there.

And I LOVE the new CY design. My sister (who is younger) and I were at the CY in Buffalo we had a room with the new grey design. It was so modern! We loved it – my sis thought the desk design was cute. And I liked the color scheme. According to the manager, it’s called a “Synergy Package” which makes total sense. I don’t know how anyone could not love this design, esp compared to the boring standard CY rooms which I hate. It actually makes me want to stay at more CYs.

So I guess there’s another perspective.
In my early 30s I'm technically a millennial but I don't understand this mindset at all. After a long day of work the last thing I want to do is be surrounded by more random people. And I most certainly don't want any type of buzz unless it comes from an adult beverage. If I have to work through the evening I look forward to the piece and quiet of a solitary hotel room.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I stayed recently at the AC Hotel in Chicago, to see how the Euro design felt. As I read, it is designed for millennials.

Got to say, the absence of kleenex, a small slab and a hipster fiberglass chair, and very dim lights didn't excite me. Plus, the desk agents didn't seem to get much about the PP upgrade, and seemed to think they were doing me a favor even though the place was fairly empty. Then, the AC lounge was supposed to have free snacks according to signs all over the place ... and not a snack in sight during the posted hours.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 8:28 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by flyerfmaz
I can't think of one reason for stripping a hotel room of useful furniture except for the hotel owner saving money. After thinking further about it, I believe the whole "we're doing it for the millenials" excuse is a red herring. [...] Marriott has about 892,000 rooms in its entire network of hotels. If we assume they get a pretty good discount on furniture, a simple dresser might cost $300 and a desk $200. So, that saves $500 per room OR $446 MILLION in costs. Follow the money....
YES! I was thinking the same thing recently. These "customer studies" seem to be a fairly transparent ploy to justify stripping out furniture during the next round of renovations and thus lower costs. Moreover, as the room design standardizes around no desk, no dresser, no closet, etc. new properties can be built with smaller rooms, thus further lowering costs.

I want my MTVdesk!
Old Oct 17, 2015, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
I've also run into way too many hotels that don't think dressers ought to be provided.

I was really surprised that one of them was a Hilton Grand Vacations Club; they expect people to stay there for a week without a dresser?
To be rated by AAA, the room needs three enclosed drawers. That can be built in or via a free-standing dresser.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 10:03 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
To be rated by AAA, the room needs three enclosed drawers. That can be built in or via a free-standing dresser.
That would explain why the SHS I'm presently staying in has one drawer in the TV stand and two drawers inside the wardrobe. All of these drawers are useless, of course. The one in the TV stand is at floor level, and the two in the wardrobe are actually counterproductive because they render half of the hangar bar unusable for hanging a shirt, jacket, or pants without crumpling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.