Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Idiots who Design Marriott Rooms

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Idiots who Design Marriott Rooms

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2015, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by leeky
promise !?

cross your heart and hope to die.
maybe you can call one in like a rollaway
Old Dec 13, 2015, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Add the Beverly Hills Marriott to the list of properties without a desk. Just had first trip report there.

Cheers.
Stayed there last night. What were they thinking. No desk. No closet. Limited drawer space. Room was not functional at all.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 9:12 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, UA LT Gold, Hertz PC, 5 MM+ miles
Conferences and Conventions

Here's something that will really impact Marriott. I attend several conferences and conventions each year and have chaired several major trade groups. Tell the conference and convention planners at entities you have ties to that you do NOT want them to book a convention at any Marriott's that have undergone the stupid remakes (not just the desk problem but no chests of drawers, small or no closets, glass bathroom doors, etc.) nor should they designate a reconfigured Marriott as a preferred convention hotel. Believe me, this will change Marriott's policies overnight, assuming Marriott doesn't want to cater solely to the Annual Conference of Mindless Hotel Consultants.

And remember, Marriott actually doesn't own most of the properties. It manages them and licenses the brand. Once the true owners see the risk of loss of business, Marriott will take heed.

By the way, I now post a negative review at Trip Advisor for each and every Marriott that lacks a desk or other basic amenities, and when I know of one (as I just did in New York) I advise what nearby hotel provides comparable value but also is properly configured. I also now talk with a manager at every Marriott and tell them my feelings about future travel.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 10:05 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior200
And remember, Marriott actually doesn't own most of the properties. It manages them and licenses the brand. Once the true owners see the risk of loss of business, Marriott will take heed.
So do franchisees have any choices on how the rooms are configured?
Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by lougord99
So do franchisees have any choices on how the rooms are configured?
I'm sure they have some say. However, Marriott might make the move to their "improved" layout attractive with bulk purchases that may not be available later. Many people will report a room as "worn" or out-of-date if they don't meet contemporary styles.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 2:25 pm

From Marriott customer Care

Dear .....

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to Marriott Customer Care today.

There are a number of innovative features to the new design of the Marriott Hotels guest room. Our research on the working habits of current and future guests shows a strong desire for a room design that offers greater flexibility in where and how to work. With this in mind, our rooms are designed with work surfaces that are more versatile than a traditional desk. For example, a more streamlined work surface that can accommodate a guest's laptop, papers, and other materials is designed to be mobile, allowing it to easily be moved to various seating arrangements in the room. We have also built in easier access to power from various room locations. All of these innovations are designed to create a more open and versatile work environment.

Sincerely
Marriott Customer Care
Old Dec 14, 2015, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by MrAOK

Dear .....

There are a number of innovative features to the new design of the Marriott Hotels guest room. Our research on the working habits of current and future guests shows a strong desire for a room design that offers greater flexibility in where and how to work. With this in mind, our rooms are designed with work surfaces that are more versatile than a traditional desk. For example, a more streamlined work surface that can accommodate a guest's laptop, papers, and other materials is designed to be mobile, allowing it to easily be moved to various seating arrangements in the room. We have also built in easier access to power from various room locations. All of these innovations are designed to create a more open and versatile work environment.

Sincerely
Marriott Customer Care
I wonder what flavor Kool-Aid they are serving today?
Old Dec 14, 2015, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So to expound on my comment above about the BH Marriott- no closet, just two short bars that stock out of the wall that you can put hangars on, above 2 small drawers. I was staying there for a formal event- something I assume is common in Beverly Hills. Not a single place to hang a dress. The hanging spots are shirt length.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...0AB-GCI760NU60
Old Dec 14, 2015, 6:05 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Not a single place to hang a dress.
Hook on back of bathroom door?
Old Dec 14, 2015, 9:30 pm

I could lose my job so I am posting anonymously here. Please respect that I will not share any other details. We had a meeting on Friday about seriously not booking Marriott properties for our top tier business travelers due to the complaints about no desks. We are in fact tracking these at American Express Travel and the feedback has been horrible.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dayone
Hook on back of bathroom door?
Sliding door- no hook.

It's like they did not have anyone stay in the rooms before rolling them out.

Amex Informant- that's actually good to hear. If people in your business start complaining they should listen.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Sliding door- no hook.

It's like they did not have anyone stay in the rooms before rolling them out.
From what I've seen this is typical response to paid consultant suggestions. "We've paid thousands for their advice, of course we will implement." For some reason outside advice means more than that of employees and customers. With the customer revolt, let's hope they don't hire the same guys to rework their recommendation.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 8:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Amex Informant
I could lose my job so I am posting anonymously here. Please respect that I will not share any other details. We had a meeting on Friday about seriously not booking Marriott properties for our top tier business travelers due to the complaints about no desks. We are in fact tracking these at American Express Travel and the feedback has been horrible.
Respecting your privacy, but I hope if you decide not to book Marriotts due to the no desk situation that your firm will send a letter to Arne letting him know why.

Cheers.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by MrAOK

Dear .....

Sincerely
Marriott Customer Care
Dear Marriott Customer Care:

A proper desk with space is needed, as are dressers. A 'shelf' or small movable pod that can't accommodate items or don't have easy access to outlets is not optimal. Also proper bathroom doors would be nice.

Cheers.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 10:18 am

BTW - Millennials must not stay at Fairfield Inns. FFI Lake Buena Vista Orlando just renovated & this was part of their press release:

"Boasting complimentary wireless Internet, visitors never have to lose connection and can keep up with work at large desks with ergonomic chairs for added comfort."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.